Secure Facility Dossier: Site-44
/* source: http://ah-sandbox.wikidot.com/component:collapsible-sidebar-x1 */
 
#top-bar .open-menu a {
        position: fixed;
        top: 0.5em;
        left: 0.5em;
        z-index: 5;
        font-family: 'Nanum Gothic', san-serif;
        font-size: 30px;
        font-weight: 700;
        width: 30px;
        height: 30px;
        line-height: 0.9em;
        text-align: center;
        border: 0.2em solid #888;
        background-color: #fff;
        border-radius: 3em;
        color: #888;
}
 
@media (min-width: 768px) {
 
    #top-bar .mobile-top-bar {
        display: block;
    }
 
    #top-bar .mobile-top-bar li {
        display: none;
    }
 
    #main-content {
        max-width: 708px;
        margin: 0 auto;
        padding: 0;
        transition: max-width 0.2s ease-in-out;
    }
 
    #side-bar {
        display: block;
        position: fixed;
        top: 0;
        left: -20em;
        width: 17.75em;
        height: 100%;
        margin: 0;
        overflow-y: auto;
        z-index: 10;
        padding: 1em 1em 0 1em;
        background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.1);
        transition: left 0.4s ease-in-out;
 
        scrollbar-width: thin;
    }
 
    #side-bar:target {
        left: 0;
    }
    #side-bar:focus-within:not(:target) {
        left: 0;
    }
 
    #side-bar:target .close-menu {
        display: block;
        position: fixed;
        width: 100%;
        height: 100%;
        top: 0;
        left: 0;
        margin-left: 19.75em;
        opacity: 0;
        z-index: -1;
        visibility: visible;
    }
    #side-bar:not(:target) .close-menu { display: none; }
 
    #top-bar .open-menu a:hover {
        text-decoration: none;
    }
 
    /* FIREFOX-SPECIFIC COMPATIBILITY METHOD */
    @supports (-moz-appearance:none) {
    #top-bar .open-menu a {
        pointer-events: none;
    }
    #side-bar:not(:target) .close-menu {
        display: block;
        pointer-events: none;
        user-select: none;
    }
 
    /* This pseudo-element is meant to overlay the regular sidebar button
    so the fixed positioning (top, left, right and/or bottom) has to match */
 
    #side-bar .close-menu::before {
        content: "";
        position: fixed;
        z-index: 5;
        display: block;
 
        top: 0.5em;
        left: 0.5em;
 
        border: 0.2em solid transparent;
        width: 30px;
        height: 30px;
        font-size: 30px;
        line-height: 0.9em;
 
        pointer-events: all;
        cursor: pointer;
    }
    #side-bar:focus-within {
        left: 0;
    }
    #side-bar:focus-within .close-menu::before {
        pointer-events: none;
    }
    }
}
/* source: http://ah-sandbox.wikidot.com/component:collapsible-sidebar-x1 */
 
#top-bar .open-menu a {
        position: fixed;
        top: 0.5em;
        left: 0.5em;
        z-index: 5;
        font-family: 'Nanum Gothic', san-serif;
        font-size: 30px;
        font-weight: 700;
        width: 30px;
        height: 30px;
        line-height: 0.9em;
        text-align: center;
        border: 0.2em solid #888;
        background-color: #fff;
        border-radius: 3em;
        color: #888;
}
 
@media (min-width: 768px) {
 
    #top-bar .mobile-top-bar {
        display: block;
    }
 
    #top-bar .mobile-top-bar li {
        display: none;
    }
 
    #main-content {
        max-width: 708px;
        margin: 0 auto;
        padding: 0;
        transition: max-width 0.2s ease-in-out;
    }
 
    #side-bar {
        display: block;
        position: fixed;
        top: 0;
        left: -20em;
        width: 17.75em;
        height: 100%;
        margin: 0;
        overflow-y: auto;
        z-index: 10;
        padding: 1em 1em 0 1em;
        background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.1);
        transition: left 0.4s ease-in-out;
 
        scrollbar-width: thin;
    }
 
    #side-bar:target {
        left: 0;
    }
    #side-bar:focus-within:not(:target) {
        left: 0;
    }
 
    #side-bar:target .close-menu {
        display: block;
        position: fixed;
        width: 100%;
        height: 100%;
        top: 0;
        left: 0;
        margin-left: 19.75em;
        opacity: 0;
        z-index: -1;
        visibility: visible;
    }
    #side-bar:not(:target) .close-menu { display: none; }
 
    #top-bar .open-menu a:hover {
        text-decoration: none;
    }
 
    /* FIREFOX-SPECIFIC COMPATIBILITY METHOD */
    @supports (-moz-appearance:none) {
    #top-bar .open-menu a {
        pointer-events: none;
    }
    #side-bar:not(:target) .close-menu {
        display: block;
        pointer-events: none;
        user-select: none;
    }
 
    /* This pseudo-element is meant to overlay the regular sidebar button
    so the fixed positioning (top, left, right and/or bottom) has to match */
 
    #side-bar .close-menu::before {
        content: "";
        position: fixed;
        z-index: 5;
        display: block;
 
        top: 0.5em;
        left: 0.5em;
 
        border: 0.2em solid transparent;
        width: 30px;
        height: 30px;
        font-size: 30px;
        line-height: 0.9em;
 
        pointer-events: all;
        cursor: pointer;
    }
    #side-bar:focus-within {
        left: 0;
    }
    #side-bar:focus-within .close-menu::before {
        pointer-events: none;
    }
    }
}

Foundation Facilities » Secure Facility Dossier: Site-44

rating: +24+x

Site-44.svg

SCP Foundation Secure Facility Dossier

Site-44

Official Designation: SCP Foundation British Isles Primary Research & Containment Facility

Site Identification Code: BIPRC-Site-44


Foulness

Site-44’s main entrance.

Founded: 1 Jan 1840

Founding Director: William Ozz

Location: Foulness Island, Essex, England

Cover Story: MoD (Ministry of Defence) Weapons Testing Area

Site Function: Containment, Research, Task Force Deployment/Training

Size (Manmade Facilities): Area of 10.9km2

Purpose: The primary hub for the Foundation’s operations within and around the British Isles, constructed upon a facility originally created by Her Majesty’s Foundation for the Secure Containment of the Paranormal. Operates with the cooperative effort of the Ministry of Defence who occasionally carry out weapons testing or training drills above-ground. Headquarters of the Cryptozoology Division.


Unearthing Our Folklore

Site-44 houses the headquarters for the Foundation’s Cryptozoology Division, being the lead in anomalous and speculative zoological study. Initially using the Site’s multi-function subterranean research sectors, the Division now has a dedicated station above the main facility.

Be it the Loch Ness Monster, the Nuckelavee or the Black Shuck, Great Britain for its size contains an unusually high concentration of anomalous fauna stemming from folklore. Rivalling that of the Americas, tales of fantastical beasts encountered in Britain amount to be in the hundreds. In past ages, before the Foundation, it seemed as if every small town in the English countryside, Scottish highlands, Irish fields and Welsh forests had a unique creature to tell stories of to weary travellers. Therein lies one of the Cryptozoology Division's primary goals; assessing the validity of cryptids. It is very easy to assume all stories to be derivative of legitimate anomalous wildlife, but this is simply an unrealistic mindset we strive to avoid. This forte — among others — is what separates us from amateur cryptid hunters.

CryptozoologyDivisionDark.png

The Cryptozoology Division insignia.

Covering cryptoecology, cryptoarcheology, cryptopaleontology and general biological studies, the Cryptozoology Division is vital in understanding anomalous wildlife and the anomalous ecosphere as a whole. While others in the Foundation may see cryptids as ‘unnatural’, the Division aims to recognise how they fit into our understanding of the ‘natural’ world — treating them in an equal manner as their non-anomalous counterparts; complex biological life. For the Foundation, their work is essential in understanding ongoing cryptid-related cases as well as researching folkloric links between newly discovered anomalies and their local communities.

The Division’s presence at Site-44 has only grown since their first dedicated Cryptid R&C Housing Unit’s addition in 1926 — eventually gaining a dedicated station in 1991. On Foulness’ grounds, the Cryptozoology Division has created various innovations in modern cryptid hunting — namely, the Bodmin-Fauna Counter1 and Attenborough Cryptid-Rod — and established multiple Foundation front companies such as Stan’s Cryptid Procurement, further aiding their catalogue and study of folkloric creatures. While cryptozoology is not Site-44’s only research specialisation, around 45% of Site-44’s personnel are a part of the Cryptozoology Division and make up an important part of the Site’s research team.


Site Map

44Layout
(First Sub-Level, click to enlarge)

● Subterranean Facility
● Above-Ground Facility
● Above-Ground Housing
● Access Points


Staff Information

Site Director: Carter C. Carter2

Asst. Director: James Carter

Asst. Dir. of Personnel and Security: W. Hunchentauch

Asst. Dir. of Research: James Carter

Asst. Dir. of Containment: Florence Wing

Archive Manager: F. Ozz

On-Site Staff:

  • Department Heads: 11
  • Staff Doctors: 75
  • Staff Researchers: 345
  • Staff Administrative: 41
  • Maintenance: 144
  • Security: 300
  • D-Class: 56
  • Other: 29

Facilities and Wings

Sector 1 (Subterranean): Living Quarters & Administrative Offices
Staff Housing - All staff are provided with compact living quarters containing a wall fitted bed alongside a small desk, chair, shelves and complementary “I 💚 Site-44” poster (exchangeable upon request).
Office Blocks - Offices include a computer, chair, desk and small house plant. Fresh coffee is supplied up until 12:00PM.

Sector 2 (Subterranean): Safe-Class Containment

Sector 3 (Subterranean): Euclid-Class Containment

Sector 4 (Subterranean): Keter-Class Containment

Sector 5: Consists of covert above-ground facilities. Often multi-function, seeing use as Task Force headquarters, manufacturing, greenhouses or temporary containment.

Unit 1 (Submerged): Located in the Northernmost point of Site-44. Has boat access and is used primarily as a warehouse for bulk cargo storage.

Unit 2 (Subterranean): Located at the Westernmost point of Site-44. Directly connects with the mainland access bridge. Is detached from the rest of the facility aside from utility tunnels and used to house anomalies that require isolated containment zones. Usually houses safe flora-based anomalies and hence, a month of Unit 2 work is considered a reward among hard-working staff.

Other:
Above-Ground Housing - Upon governmental seizing of Foulness Island in 1831, the small towns of Churchend and Courtsend were present. The towns have become occupied by researchers and Foundation-affiliated individuals since their acquisition in 1900. High-ranking personnel may be permitted to live in above-ground housing if requested.

FoulnessLookout

A lookout post stationed beside the mainland access bridge.

Utility Tunnels - Wide passages used for efficient movement of supplies and personnel. Contains a small tram system beside the footpath for quick travel to far away units.

Access Elevator - To the Western edge of the main complex is a large, circular access lift that connects the surface with all levels of the Site. Has direct access to the hangar and is utilised for swift helicopter landings or cargo intake. Constructed in the 1940s in the centre of an atomic weapons production complex. (See History for more details).

Lower Levels - Deeper levels of Site-44 may contain hidden or blocked off rooms and passages left over from the old HMFSCP construction. If you notice unusual air movement, a wall that sounds different when being hit, or an unidentified distinctly human whistling, please notify a Level 4 staff member immediately.

Cryptobiology Station - A mixture of partially underground buildings that are overseen by the Cryptozoology Division, constructed due to Britain’s irregularly high density of anomalous creatures.3 Used for the housing and research of small to medium scale anomalous entities from folklore.

Cafeteria - A general mess hall. Staff Notice - Due to incessant demands, we will be bringing back pizza Fridays shortly. You can stop messaging me. - Director Carter


Task Forces

MTF Gamma-4 (“Green Stags”)

Gamma4-2.png

Task Force Mission: Mobile Task Force Gamma-4 specialises in the investigation and containment of anomalies in forested or otherwise nature-based environments. Skilled in ecology, recovery, and tracking targets.

Site Defence Force

Task Force Mission: Default stationary task force used in Foundation-operated sites worldwide. A.K.A. The Yellow Visors.


Abridged List of Contained Anomalies

Anomaly ID Object Class
SCP-5767 Neutralised
SCP-6330 Uncontained
SCP-6448 Keter
SCP-6516 Safe
SCP-6877 Euclid
SCP-6884 Euclid

Site Overview & History

44Location

Site-44’s geographic location.

Site-44 operates as the primary hub for the Foundation’s operations within and around the British Isles.

In the late 1700s, the UK Government recognised that, due to the increasing amount of newly discovered anomalies, there became a need to house and study divergent creatures, artefacts and phenomena. This realisation lead to the creation of Her Majesty’s Foundation for the Secure Containment of the Paranormal. At the time of its formation, the group was small and consisted only of the brightest minds in Britain, whom were tasked with researching the things that defied modern science. Once the operation grew, however, it was decided that dedicated facilities for the group to carry out their work were in order. In 1831, a total of 3 sites were commissioned. Site-44 was, at this time, Site-Green. Alongside Site-Green was Site-Red (Now Foundation Site-46) in Cheddar, Somerset and Site-Blue in █████, Yorkshire. Site-Blue was not occupied by the Foundation and saw limited service before being abandoned.4 All were constructed utilising the highest possible standard of 1830s architecture and materials, completed and opened on 1st January 1840.

The 3 facilities were used by the British Government extensively and HMFSCP continued to grow over its decades of service. As other nations had realised, however, the presence of things that even the best scientific minds could not understand; things that broke the fundamental laws of our reality, became too evident to ignore. An international agreement was made to pool funding and resources into a unified group to capture and contain anomalies to humanity’s best effort. In 189█, a merging of ██ anomalous research organisations formed the SCP Foundation and its affiliates. Among the founding members was HMFSCP, who became immensely invested in the new organisation and allowed the now international group to use their quickly filling sites. At this time, HMFSCP was officially disbanded and fully merged with the Foundation. Due to its proximity to London, Site-Green was chosen to be the lead for British anomalous research, with other sites being planned for construction around the Isles. The Foundation adopted Sites Green and Red, leaving Site-Blue due to fears of ████ ███ ███████.5 No occupation was attempted and the property is now off-limits.

Site-44 was officially instated in 1901 and quickly grew due to its newfound status and international aid. Foundation additions included a renewal of outdated construction, utility tunnels connecting detached units, the addition of Unit 1 and a vast expansion to the main complex. Site-44 became a vital part of Northern Europe’s containment effort.

Upon the outbreak of the Second World War, Foulness was requested by the UK Government to be used as a general military training zone for the British Army. This would cause, alongside multiple containment challenges, a violation of Page 12, Chapter 6, Lines 5 and 6 of the SCP Foundation Legal Agreement (1900).6 Although this request was rejected, a loophole — now fixed — in the SCP Legal Agreement meant that the British Government obtained clearance for the production of atomic weapons on Foulness Island, given the growing threat of international nuclear war. A large circular tunnel was bored downward and was intended for use as a large nuclear weapon silo and production facility. Though a nuclear war never came to fruition, this facility on the Island ceased production of atomic weaponry in the summer of 1956. The space immediately fell into the Foundation’s hands where it was converted to a sub-level elevator, used mainly for aircraft, vehicles or cargo. Its integration has proved crucial to the sustained growth and management of Site-44.

The Site saw further renovation up until the 1970s, when it was determined that all outdated portions of the facility had been replaced.7 Portions of Site-Green that were constructed so robustly so as to be up-to-date even in the 21st Century still remain in many areas of the facility. For a full list of these areas, please contact Archivist F. Ozz.8 Just behind the main entrance’s desk stands the original entryway to Site-Green; its emblazoned dark grey bricks contrast the newer whitewashed concrete, now reading “Site-44”.

In 1991, the Cryptozoology Division recognised the unusually bountiful density of anomalous creatures in Britain and begun construction of an extension of the Site to facilitate their operations, soon being assigned responsibility of SCP-6448 research. Since this addition, Site-44 has become notorious for its progression in general parazoological and paraecological studies.

Among the mass containment breach of 2013, former Researcher C. Carter showed outstanding determination, thought and tactical aid for the Site’s trapped staff. During the 3 days of communication loss, Carter took responsibility for leading a large group of survivors to safety and eventually was responsible for establishing external communication to request aid, remaining vigilant until reinforcements could arrive. The former Site Director was terminated by a rogue anomaly during the breach. For his bravery, commitment to personnel and tactical awareness, Carter C. Carter was promoted to Site Director following the incident, being among the youngest ever to fill this position at only 26 years of age. His administrative skill has seen the prevention of numerous containment incidents over his years of service to the Foundation.

In the modern day, Site-44 stands as the Foundation’s stronghold over Northern Europe and fulcrum of cryptid-based research, still fulfilling its original purpose almost 2 centuries since its inception and after over 100 years in Foundation service.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License