SCP-CN-1500
rating: +21+x

Item #: SCP-CN-1500

Object Class: Euclid Safe

Special Containment Procedures: The Foundation maintains a restricted zone around SCP-CN-1500-2 under the guise of a military base. A 10km radius around SCP-CN-1500-2 is designated a no-fly zone to prevent information of SCP-CN-1500-2 leaking to the public. All satellite imagery of this location is to be altered to cover up SCP-CN-1500-2's existence.

The Foundation currently maintains three outposts on the roads leading to SCP-CN-1500-3 to prevent civilian entry and escape of SCP-CN-1500-1 instances. If required, guards are authorized to use tasers. A total of 100 camouflaged monitoring cameras are placed within SCP-CN-1500-2 for prevention of mass incidents among SCP-CN-1500-1; these cameras are connected via underground cables to Outpost-CN-91-23 located 10 km from SCP-CN-1500-2. Access to Outpost-CN-91-23 is restricted to members of Research Group 23 of Site-CN-91.

All civilians found in the vicinity of SCP-CN-1500-2 are to be detained for at least 48 hours, during which they are to be monitored for SCP-CN-1500-4 infection. If the subject shows signs of SCP-CN-1500-4 infection, SCP-CN-1500-1-1 is to be notified and the subject is to be directed into SCP-CN-1500-2; otherwise, they are to be amnesticized and returned.

All research on SCP-CN-1500 must be conducted by members of Research Group 23. All researchers are to limit their interactions with SCP-CN-1500-1 instances to a maximum of 20 hours per week, and are to use the Zhugyui-83-II translation devices developed by Dr. H. Zheng when communicating with SCP-CN-1500-1 instances to mitigate the anomalous effects of SCP-CN-1500-3. Researchers who show signs of being affected by SCP-CN-1500-3 are to be immediately amnesticized, sent for countermemetic treatment and reassigned to another project.

All researchers entering SCP-CN-1500-2 are to be equipped with short-wave radios and accompanied by at least two plainclothes agents. Researchers may not interact with more than two SCP-CN-1500-1 instances, nor may they spend more than 60 minutes in SCP-CN-1500-2; it is recommended to keep the time spent in SCP-CN-1500-2 below 45 minutes. When making contact with SCP-CN-1500-1, all personnel must keep electronic devices concealed and avoid approaching SCP-CN-1500-2-34. In case of unexpected complications, agents are authorized to take drastic measures against SCP-CN-1500-1 instances, including , if necessary, execution.

The SCP-CN-1500-4 instances currently in Foundation custody (of which there are currently 13) have been transferred to Site-CN-91 and are stored in Site-CN-91's Safe-class storage zone. Under normal circumstances, all personnel are prohibited from accessing SCP-CN-1500-4. In emergency situations, if SCP-CN-1500-4 instances must be moved, at least 30 security personnel must be present at all times to prevent SCP-CN-1500-4 instances from being taken out of custody.

All collected textual and audio data relating to SCP-CN-1500-3 has been stored in Site-CN-91's archive. Written authorization from Site-CN-91's Linguistics Research Group is required for access to SCP-CN-1500-3 data, and personnel must be monitored while accessing such information. Where not necessary for research, the reproduction of SCP-CN-1500-3 material, such as by copying or photography, is prohibited; all direct transcriptions of SCP-CN-1500-3 in public-facing material must be tested on Class D personnel to confirm the absence of memetic hazards. Where SCP-CN-1500-3-1 words must be mentioned in a public-facing document, it is to be completely translated and not left in its original form. In emergency situations, where SCP-CN-1500-3 material must be moved, at least three members of Research Group 23 must be present.

The Foundation is currently collecting all documents in public society that may mention SCP-CN-1500. Collected documents are stored in Site-CN-91's archives.

The Foundation is also currently collecting all suspected fragments and instances of SCP-CN-1500-4. Collected SCP-CN-1500-4 are to be contained in Site-CN-91's Safe-class storage zone. For emergency transferral procedures, see above.


Description: SCP-CN-1500 is the collective designation for the anomalous phenomena surrounding an anomalous ethnic group (henceforth designated SCP-CN-1500-1).

SCP-CN-1500-1 primarily reside in the area covered by the former ███████ Township, ██ County, Ngawa Tibetan and Qiang Autonomous Prefecture, Sichuan Province, China1, and refer to themselves as "pʰoʃma"2, and are referred to by the Qiang people in ███ County3 by the names "χbə²⁴¹mə³³"4, "qu³¹lu⁵⁵mə³³"5, or "χbə³³mə³³"6. SCP-CN-1500-1 primarily work in agriculture, farming crops such as highland barley (Hordeum aegiceras), wheat (Triticum aestivum), maize (Zea mays), and turnips (Brassica rapa rapa); their methods maintain similarity with those of the nearby Qiangic peoples. SCP-CN-1500-1 do not intermarry with the surrounding peoples, and also seemingly do not conduct trade with outsiders. Due to the relative lack of historical evidence, research is still ongoing into historical cultural exchanges in these areas. As SCP-CN-1500-1 do not farm significant amounts of fiber, their traditional attire primarily consists of animal skin and fur. SCP-CN-1500-1 primarily raise livestock such as yaks (Bos grunniens), yak-bull offspring (Bos grunniens × taurus), and goats (Capra aegagrus hircus). Genetic analysis has shown that the livestock raised by SCP-CN-1500-1 are basically genetically indistinguishable from other livestock of the same species in the Situ region7. However, as SCP-CN-1500-1 do not appear in historical texts or oral tradition of the Gyalrong Tibetan people in the Situ area nor vice versa, there is no conclusive theory as to the historical relations between SCP-CN-1500-1 and the Gyalrong Tibetan people of the Situ area.

eye

The eye of a female SCP-CN-1500-1 instance.

As of 2005/03/12, there are 102 total instances of SCP-CN-1500-1. Adult SCP-CN-1500-1 have a height between 130 and 160 cm8. All SCP-CN-1500-1 instances possess turquoise scales covering at least 50% of their bodies9; in many SCP-CN-1500-1, the area covered can be up to 70%; however, with few exceptions, scales are absent in the armpits, on the genitalia, on the palms, and on the soles of the feet. Experimentation with Class D personnel has shown that forcibly removing these scales10 is extremely painful to the instances, and will typically provoke them to the point of losing reason and attacking nearby personnel. Most SCP-CN-1500-1 instances do not possess body hair. The color of their irises is significantly lighter than those of the surrounding peoples, and some SCP-CN-1500-1 possess nictitating membranes. Some SCP-CN-1500-1 instances possess loose turquoise protrusions from the pteria, which are typically around 5-10 cm in length. Since they are loose, they are easily bent and broken; as such, they are typically not used as weapons. All SCP-CN-1500-1 instances possessing these protrusions are male; however, as a large proportion of male SCP-CN-1500-1 instances do not possess these protrusions, the relation between their societal significance and secondary sexual characteristic cannot be confirmed. Besides the above anomalous differences, SCP-CN-1500-1 instances' appearances are consistent with other Qiangic peoples on the southeastern part of the Qinghai-Tibet plateau.

SCP-CN-1500-1 society is in the early patrilineal stage. SCP-CN-1500-1 is composed of five families known as "loitɕi"; each family consists of a number of nuclear families centered around and taking orders from an elder known as the "ʂos". Five "ʂos" and one tribe leader, known as the "ʃcɛɬpu" seem to be the collective decision-makers of the tribe11. Since the Foundation established monitoring of SCP-CN-1500-1, there have been two changes of "ʃcɛɬpu", both involving an elderly "ʃcɛɬpu" naming a successor in front of all SCP-CN-1500-1 instances. Within each tribe, the change of "ʂos" is similar. Compared to typical SCP-CN-1500-1 instances, the "ʂos" and "ʃcɛɬpu" wear clothing embellished with more turquoise stones; this clothing has been found to be non-anomalous. Currently, the "ʃcɛɬpu" and five "ʂos" of SCP-CN-1500-1 are designated SCP-CN-1500-1-1 through SCP-CN-1500-1-6.

According to SCP-CN-1500-1 testimony, their lifespan can reach upwards of 150 years. Based on genetic analysis of SCP-CN-1500-1 produced by SCP-CN-1500-4, telomerase activity is higher in SCP-CN-1500-1 than in standard humans; this is conjectured to be related to their claimed lifespan. As all of the naturally born SCP-CN-1500-1 refuse genetic sampling, there is no way to determine the standard level of telomerase activity among SCP-CN-1500-1. SCP-CN-1500-1 do not appear to have any special resistance to injury.

As SCP-CN-1500-1 do not intermarry with outsiders, it is unknown whether SCP-CN-1500-1 instances are capable of producing offspring with non-anomalous humans. Testing using Class D personnel to determine this has been rejected by the Chinese branch of the Ethics Committee. As of this writing, no instances under the biological age of 12 have been found among SCP-CN-1500-1; however, some historical records suggest that SCP-CN-1500-1 instances are capable of producing non-anomalous human offspring. Currently, the SCP-CN-1500-1 population seemingly only grows through the use of SCP-CN-1500-4.

SCP-CN-1500-1 follow a religion that may be related to Sarkicism. Similar to other Proto-Sarkic cultures, SCP-CN-1500-1 instances exhibit an extreme distaste for electronic devices and other modern inventions; some instances will exhibit extreme hostility. For further information on SCP-CN-1500-1 religion, consult Addendum CN-1500-2.

SCP-CN-1500-2 denotes the structures inhabited by SCP-CN-1500-1, referred to by SCP-CN-1500-1 as "pʰokʰsu"12 and located on the eastern bank of the ███████ River, a tributary of the ██████. SCP-CN-1500-2 consists of 63 buildings of different kinds, and are designated SCP-CN-1500-2-1 through SCP-CN-1500-2-63 based on location. SCP-CN-1500-2-1 through -63 are mostly dwellings or agricultural installations (such as grain-drying grounds and livestock pens); in addition, there are three workshops (SCP-CN-1500-2-7, SCP-CN-1500-2-15, and SCP-CN-1500-2-28, for pottery, blacksmithing, and woodworking, respectively), one meeting place (SCP-CN-1500-2-33), and one altar (SCP-CN-1500-2-34).

SCP-CN-1500-2 are distributed along two roughly perpendicular roads, intersecting at SCP-CN-1500-2-34 (the altar), around which a town square of around 50 m by 60 m has been established. SCP-CN-1500-2-34 is located at the intersection of the two roads. It is a circular structure, built on a base of earth with two floors, and is the primary location at which SCP-CN-1500-1 make religious offerings. SCP-CN-1500-2-34's upper deck is 7 meters from the ground, and has an area of approximately 20 m2, with a stove made of earth (area roughly 1 m2) in the center, holding a clay pot about as large as the stove itself above it. The lower deck is 3 meters from the ground, with an area of approximately 100 m2, and is connected to both the upper deck and the ground by stairs made of earth. When not presenting offerings, SCP-CN-1500-1 instances will generally avoid SCP-CN-1500-2-34, and will display extreme hostility to personnel who attempt to approach SCP-CN-1500-2-34. While SCP-CN-1500-1 do not protect or maintain SCP-CN-1500-2-34, the structure as a whole does not erode with time13. SCP-CN-1500-2-33 is located on the eastern edge of the town square, occupying an area of 40m2, and according to SCP-CN-1500-1 instances is the meeting place of SCP-CN-1500-1-1 through SCP-CN-1500-1-6. Similarly to SCP-CN-1500-2-34, SCP-CN-1500-2-33 is avoided by SCP-CN-1500-1 instances when not in use, and SCP-CN-1500-1 instances express extreme hostility towards personnel who approach SCP-CN-1500-2-33. Due to the uncooperative attitude of SCP-CN-1500-1-1 through SCP-CN-1500-1-6, the Foundation has no information on the interior of SCP-CN-1500-2-33.

SCP-CN-1500-2-1 through -63 appear to be constructed in a style similar to Tibetan buildings commonly seen in the southeast of the Qinghai-Tibet plateau; however, possibly due to the relative lack of bamboo and wood in the area, most of the buildings are constructed out of mud, with wooden frames providing structural support. As a result, most of the buildings do not have a second floor.

When a human subject that is not part of SCP-CN-1500-1 enters SCP-CN-1500-214, SCP-CN-1500-2's anomalous properties will manifest. Affected subjects will undergo three stages of the anomaly. The physical symptoms of each stage are shown in the following table.

Prior experimentation has shown that once a subject enters Stage III, forcibly removing the subject from SCP-CN-1500-2 will incite a violent response from the subject and any SCP-CN-1500-1 instances in the area. However, if the subject is removed from SCP-CN-1500-2 prior to the successful production of SCP-CN-1500-4, the subject will return to normal within 1 to 12 hours. If the subject is removed after the production of SCP-CN-1500-4 but before it is infected, it will attempt to return to SCP-CN-1500-2 and may react violently to surrounding personnel, with potentially lethal force. Outside of Stage I, affected subjects are unaffected by drugs such as anesthetic and memetic agents.

In addition, the entire region covered by SCP-CN-1500-2 possesses a blocking effect on ultra-high-frequency wireless communication signals; this effect is significantly reduced in the high-frequency range. As a result, wireless communication within SCP-CN-1500-2 must be conducted in the high-frequency range. Samples of air, soil and water in the area appeared to be non-anomalous.

yinxi.png

The phonology of SCP-CN-1500-3.

SCP-CN-1500-3 is the designation for the primary language spoken by SCP-CN-1500-1, referred to by speakers as "pʰœçmo"16. While previously classified as a Qiangic17 language18. SCP-CN-1500 is an agglutinative language19, with its main grammatical categories matching those of most Qiangic languages.

The vast majority of SCP-CN-1500-1 instances primarily use SCP-CN-1500-3 to communicate; some SCP-CN-1500-1 instances claim to be unable to speak other languages; however, at least 25 instances of SCP-CN-1500-1 have currently shown themselves to be capable of simple communication in various other languages such as Southwestern Mandarin Chinese, Southern Qiang, and Northern Qiang. SCP-CN-1500-3 is the sole liturgical language of SCP-CN-1500-1; its entire religious system is based in SCP-CN-1500-3.

The anomalous effects of SCP-CN-1500-3 primarily consists of two aspects. Even without complete immersion among SCP-CN-1500-3 speakers, learners of SCP-CN-1500-3 experience a significant loss in ability to speak other languages. Testing with Class D personnel has shown that with no external intervention, when active exposure20 to SCP-CN-1500-3 exceeds 25 hours per week, the subject's ability to speak other languages, including their mother tongue, decreases significantly after five weeks of exposure21. When the subject was passively exposed to SCP-CN-1500-322 for 25 hours a week for 10 weeks, the subject showed a different degree of language attrition. If the subject did not receive comprehensible input in SCP-CN-1500-3, its ability to understand high-level concepts was significantly reduced. Regression analysis has shown that subjects who actively expose themselves to 25 hours of SCP-CN-1500-3 per week for 25 weeks lose most of their ability in their native language (in other words, entering deep language attrition); subjects who are passively exposed to 25 hours of SCP-CN-1500-3 per week take 50 weeks to reach this stage. Experimentation suggests that this language attrition can be partially counteracted by continued and deliberate practice of one's native language, but cannot be reversed23.

When a subject becomes sufficiently familiar and comfortable with using SCP-CN-1500-324, the subject will begin to express a strong interest in SCP-CN-1500-1 and their culture; this is thought to be a Sapir-Whorf effect25. Subjects will first attempt to ascertain further information on SCP-CN-1500-1 by asking other subjects capable of understanding SCP-CN-1500-3. If the other subjects refuse to provide such information or do not have further information to provide, the subject will begin to experience symptoms such as manic depression and delusions. If the subject has the opportunity to make contact with SCP-CN-1500-1, they will use any means necessary to do so; this typically results in the subject being reassigned as Class E personnel or terminated. In very rare cases, subjects have managed to reach SCP-CN-1500-2 and subsequently experienced the anomalous effects of SCP-CN-1500-2. However, if during Stage II the subject decides to leave SCP-CN-1500-2, the subject will completely lose interest in SCP-CN-1500-1 and their culture and language, cease active exposure to SCP-CN-1500-3, and gradually lose proficiency in SCP-CN-1500-3; however, the language attrition caused in the subject's other languages does not revert. If the subjectis passively exposed to SCP-CN-1500-3 in this stage, the anomalous effects of SCP-CN-1500-3 will not manifest. This effect can be reversed using standard countermemetic treatment.

Starting in the 1990s, researchers began to notice that acquiring vocabulary related to religion produced a distinct difference in intensity of the anomalous effects compared to non-religious vocabulary. Dr. Howard Zheng (1997) divided the vocabulary of SCP-CN-1500-3 into "vocabulary with religious effect" (henceforth designated SCP-CN-1500-3-1) and "vocabulary without religious effect" (henceforth designated SCP-CN-1500-3-2). Compared to SCP-CN-1500-3-2, learning SCP-CN-1500-3-1 produced a significantly stronger language attrition effect; a set degree of language attrition was reached by those studying purely SCP-CN-1500-3-1 in approximately 60% of the time taken by those studying a mix of SCP-CN-1500-3-1 and SCP-CN-1500-3-2. Currently, around ███ words and phrases have been determined to be SCP-CN-1500-3-126; however, due to time and manpower constraints, it is currently impossible to determine whether all words in SCP-CN-1500-3 are SCP-CN-1500-3-1. As such, caution is advised when working with SCP-CN-1500-3 as there may be unknown SCP-CN-1500-3-1 present in texts.

For further information on SCP-CN-1500-3, please see Addendum CN-1500-3.

SCP-CN-1500-4 refers to a series of turquoise masks, composed of turquoise pieces adhered using an unknown biological adhesive. SCP-CN-1500-4 takes the form of a hemisphere, and is composed of a material consistent with the scales on the face of SCP-CN-1500-1. The shape of the mask fits the standard human face from the mandible to the inside of the external mandible to the pterion and then on to the frontal tuber. Some instances resemble SCP-CN-1500-1 faces, with loose, 10 cm long turquoise protrusions extending from the pteria. The difference between SCP-CN-1500-4 and the faces of SCP-CN-1500-1 is that while all SCP-CN-1500-4 instances lack turquoise pieces on the eyelids, a large proportion of SCP-CN-1500-1 instances have fine turquoise scales covering their eyelids. The turquoise pieces that compose SCP-CN-1500-4 instances have a Mohs hardness between 5 and 6 and possess a physical strength similar to standard turquoise gemstones; however, the biological adhesive is looser, and significantly changes in strength with temperature, with a Mohs hardness of 2 under standard temperature. When heated to 40°C, the biological adhesive holding SCP-CN-1500-4 together will show signs of loosening and softening, and when heated to 80°C or higher, its adhesive quality will significantly lower to the point where one can pull it apart using their bare hands. However, further increasing the environmental temperature will not melt the adhesive, nor will the adhesive drip; even with sufficient oxygen the adhesive will not burn. When returned to standard temperature, the adhesive will harden, returning to its hardness prior to being heated; however, different pieces of SCP-CN-1500-4 will not join together if heated together and cooled, as breaking SCP-CN-1500-4 is irreversible. Genetic analysis of collected SCP-CN-1500-4 instances has not revealed the DNA of any known organism.

According to the Foundation's estimates, SCP-CN-1500-4 is produced by SCP-CN-1500-1 instances. A standard SCP-CN-1500-1 instance can, in a short time, break the bonds between its scales and part of its skin and subsequently pull off the scales from its face, creating a SCP-CN-1500-4 instance. Following this, the SCP-CN-1500-1 instance's face will appear to have a large amount of turquoise powder on it; over time, the powder will fuse and reform until the SCP-CN-1500-1 instance's face has returned to its original state.

SCP-CN-1500-4 has an important use in SCP-CN-1500-1 religion, and, according to SCP-CN-1500-1 testimony, is the only way to produce new SCP-CN-1500-1 instances. As the Foundation has not witnessed any SCP-CN-1500-1 raising young, this testimony can be assumed to be true.

When a subject physically touches a piece of SCP-CN-1500-1 that is at least 50% of its original27, the subject will come under SCP-CN-1500-4's effects, and enter Stage α. Testing has shown that the subject will express a strong interest in the SCP-CN-1500-4 instance, and will continuously remain in physical contact with both the original and other SCP-CN-1500-4 instances. The subject will express his satisfaction and desire to be with the SCP-CN-1500-4 instances. However, under standard conditions, the α stage is relatively long, lasting anywhere from 40 to 120 hours. In some tests, the α stage has been observed to last for up to 240 hours. The length of this period has led to some subjects losing interest in and distancing themselves from SCP-CN-1500-4, removing themselves from SCP-CN-1500-4's effects28.

When the subject displays attraction to SCP-CN-1500-4, it will attempt to place the SCP-CN-1500-4 onto its face; in the case where the object is broken into many fragments or the fragments are sourced from many individual SCP-CN-1500-4, the subject will discard the smaller pieces in favor of the larger pieces. When the subject begins to show this behavior, the subject has entered Stage β. Upon entering Stage β, the subject will attempt to seek out SCP-CN-1500-1 with all available means29. If the subject is unable to find information regarding how to meet with SCP-CN-1500-1, the compulsion will fade after 120 hours, and while subjects may retain an interest in SCP-CN-1500-4, this interest is no longer considered anomalous.

When the subject has become aware of SCP-CN-1500-1's existence and has successfully taken SCP-CN-1500-4 to SCP-CN-1500-2, it will enter Stage γ. At this point, the subject will become unresponsive to commands besides those given by SCP-CN-1500-1 instances, and will attempt to use rope or adhesive to attach SCP-CN-1500-4 to its face and attempt to speak to SCP-CN-1500-1. At this point, the subject will not be affected by SCP-CN-1500-2's anomalous effects, and SCP-CN-1500-1 instances will not attack it, but rather lead it to one of SCP-CN-1500-1-1 through SCP-CN-1500-1-6, following which the subject will be taken to meet with SCP-CN-1500-1-1. During this period, all SCP-CN-1500-1 will converse with the subject in SCP-CN-1500-3; in addition, the subject will appear to be able to understand SCP-CN-1500-3. If the subject does not have SCP-CN-1500-4 with it when it reaches SCP-CN-1500-2, it will be affected by the standard effects of SCP-CN-1500-2 and may also be attacked by SCP-CN-1500-1 instances.

When the subject makes contact with SCP-CN-1500-1-1, SCP-CN-1500-1-1 will have a short conversation with the subject, and then call all available SCP-CN-1500-1 instances to begin a ritual. This typically indicates that the subject has entered Stage δ30. In this stage, the subject will attempt to use the sounds of its native language to imitate SCP-CN-1500-3 so as to communicate with SCP-CN-1500-1 instances. Prior to the beginning of the ritual, SCP-CN-1500-1-1 will instruct many SCP-CN-1500-1 instances to perform ritual cleansing on the subject and remove the subject's clothes, accessories31 and visible implants. Four to eight SCP-CN-1500-1 instances will then carry the instance up to the top of SCP-CN-1500-2-34 and lay it down by the stove, beginning the ritual. For further information on the ritual, please see Addendum CN-1500-2.

Approximately 50 minutes after the beginning of the ritual, all SCP-CN-1500-1 present will begin to read a prayer in SCP-CN-1500-332, and the subject will attempt to mimic SCP-CN-1500-1 in reading the prayer. Following this, SCP-CN-1500-1 will take a stone knife that appears to be made out of turquoise33 and remove the skin on the subject's chest and abdomen, exposing the flesh, which will be covered in a large amount of turquoise powder. This phenomenon typically indicates that the subject has become an SCP-CN-1500-1 instance. Following this, SCP-CN-1500-1-1 remove all the original skin of the new SCP-CN-1500-1 instance, collecting it and placing it into the clay pot. The clay pot will then be heated while all SCP-CN-1500-1 present read the aforementioned prayer34. The skin will be stewed for approximately two hours, during which the turquoise powder on the new SCP-CN-1500-1 instance will slowly melt, forming into scales similar to those of other SCP-CN-1500-1. At this point, the contents of the pot will be poured into the mouth of the new SCP-CN-1500-1 instance35. Once the contents of the pot have been emptied, the newly converted SCP-CN-1500-1 instance will stand up.

If the subject is a human that has been affected by SCP-CN-1500-2, when the subject enters Stage III and SCP-CN-1500-1-1 through SCP-CN-1500-1-6 have concluded their meeting, the SCP-CN-1500-1 will direct the subject to SCP-CN-1500-1-1, who will begin the ritual. At the beginning of the ritual, SCP-CN-1500-1-1 will produce a full SCP-CN-1500-4 instance, and will place it on the subject's face for 30 seconds before removing it. Otherwise, the ritual will proceed almost identically to if the subject had reached Stage δ of SCP-CN-1500-4's effects. Testing has confirmed that SCP-CN-1500-4 instances retrieved from these cases do not have anomalous effects.

Newly converted SCP-CN-1500-1 have a body shape similar to their original body shape with the fat removed. Interviews with newly converted SCP-CN-1500-1 show that within 24 hours of the end of the ritual, the newly converted SCP-CN-1500-1 retain some of their memories, human instincts and skills; however, over time, these will quickly be lost. Out of these, the rate at which skills are lost seems to be related to the difficulty of the skill; for instance, surgery and combat skills, which are considered harder to learn and require much practice and even muscle memory, were lost within 5 to 10 days; however, the same converted SCP-CN-1500-1 instance was able to fluently speak his mother tongue even 6 months after the end of the ritual36. Physical examinations of converted SCP-CN-1500-1 instances 24 hours after the ritual showed that any internal implants or organ diseases were no longer present. 24 hours after the ritual, the converted SCP-CN-1500-1 will begin to use SCP-CN-1500-3 as its primary language and begin to behave similarly to other SCP-CN-1500-1 instances, displaying a strong distaste for electronics and other modern devices. Contact with the converted SCP-CN-1500-1 5 days after the ritual reveals that many instances have acquired skills that they could not have learnt from other SCP-CN-1500-137. At the same time, they claim to be teaching their original skills to other SCP-CN-1500-1 instances38. The individual's original memories and personality are lost following 10 days after the ritual, assimilating into the SCP-CN-1500-1 population.

Addendum CN-1500-1: Discovery and Early Contact

In the past, the dynasties of the Han Chinese living in the Central Plain and the Tibetan rulers did not have much control over the plains of Western Sichuan, and most of the time the area was only ruled by the jimi system. As such, in both Chinese or Tibetan texts, not much attention was paid to the smaller ethnic groups in this area; in addition, the Qiang people indigenous to the area did not have their own writing system, and the SCP-CN-1500-1 population has historically had minimal contact with the outside world. As such, in Chinese and Tibetan texts, and in the oral histories of the native Qiang people, there is virutally no mention of SCP-CN-1500-1. It was not until the middle of the Qing dynasty, when population of the Sichuan Basin increased to the point where Han Chinese began to set out for Western Sichuan to settle, that Chinese-speaking people made first contact with SCP-CN-1500-1. The earliest Chinese text found by the Foundation that mentions SCP-CN-1500-1 is the Tongfu Hall Li Family Zongpu, printed in Guan County39 in the 54th year of the Qianlong Emperor (1789), which mentions a member of the Li family who "cultivated the valleys, received a letter of help from the Dragon God, and disappeared", which is thought to be related to SCP-CN-1500-1. Following this, there were several more references in Chinese documents, including sporadic references in personal notes that could point to the SCP-CN-1500-1 population. For access to relevant documents, please confirm that you have Level 3 or higher clearance and make a request to Site-91's document library.

In the second half of the 19th century, China fell into a half-colonial, half-feudal society under invasion from the Great Powers. In 1860, the Qing government signed the Sino-British and Sino-French Conventions of Peking, allowing missionaries from Western nations to purchase land in various provinces to construct churches. After the 1870s, the peoples of Southwestern China, who were mostly animist, became the target of Western missionaries. At the same time, many natural scientists and anthropologists became missionaries with the ultimate goal of gathering information about the plants, animals, and people of the area. In 1869 (the 8th year of the Tongzhi Emperor), French professor Armand David wrote a letter to a friend in Paris, mentioning a local legend about a about "village of the dragon gods" (l'hameau de la déité de dragonne) to the north of Muping40. This is considered to be the first western account of SCP-CN-1500-1. This letter was quickly intercepted by the Estate noir, and was classified as related to a "possible anomaly" (paranormalité possible). However, because the Estate noir did not have sufficient manpower in the Far East, there was no followup investigation.

In 1890 (the 16th year of the Guangxu Emperor), the Convention of Calcutta was signed. The British used India as a base from which expeditions into Tibet in the name of "commerce" and "missionary work" could be held, and further included the border regions under the Tibetan Kashag41 in the "Tibetan areas" in which expeditions could be conducted. In 1894, British explorer George D. Jackson published A record of tribes in Eastern Tibet from Calcutta, within which he mentioned an ethnic group known as the Koolume42, near the Remee43 people. In addition, he wrote that the Koolume "revere a god that seems to be the manifestation of the Dragon. They catch the innocent and scrape off their skin, then sacrifice them to their god's spirit. When I was in Bowshock44 I heard a woman was caught by them, stripped of her skin, and left to be trampled by the horses." This account came to the attention of the Zeroth Anti-Cult Regiment of the Bengal Army, and soon enough the Zeroth Anti-Cult Regiment had used Jackson's notes to determine the location of these anomalous people; simultaneously, they contacted Her Majesty's Foundation for the Secure Containment of the Paranormal about this anomalous incident. The Zeroth Anti-Cult Regiment was scheduled to enter Tibet in secret in 1895, but this was cancelled as the pro-Russian 13th Dalai Lama, Thubten Gyatso, had just rose to power in Tibet and the Zeroth Anti-Cult Regiment did not want to provoke an Anglo-Tibetan dispute.

In 1900, the Forbidden City Convention was signed, and the SCP Foundation was established, and in 1906 the Qing government signed the Convention Between Great Britain and China Respecting Tibet, following which the Foundation revived the project. In 1910, a joint team consisting of members from the Abnormality Institute, the Zeroth Anti-Cult Regiment, and Her Majesty's Foundation for the Secure Containment of the Paranormal, totaling 12 members, searched for the location of SCP-CN-1500-1. However, as Jackson had died of dengue fever in Calcutta previously, and the notes he had left behind did not accurately pinpoint the location of the village, the team failed to find the "Bowshock" Jackson had mentioned, and thus could not reach the location of SCP-CN-1500-1. Later, in 1912 and 1915, the Foundation once again sent out explorers to the Dajianlu area45, Luhuo area, and Songpan areas, but failed to find SCP-CN-1500-1. As the situation in Sichuan became unstable in the following years, the Foundation once again temporarily put exploration and search work on hold.

In 1937, after the Nationalist government moved its capital to Chongqing, the situation in central Sichuan became more and more stable. On the other hand, with the rapid advance of the IJAMEA taking over much of Eastern China, the Foundation had to move most of its Abnormality Institute membership to the west of China. This brought with it the opportunity to thoroughly inspect the west of China for more anomalies. In 1942, while locating SCP-███ (now SCP-CN-███), Foundation agents retrieved an instance of SCP-CN-1500-4 in Wenchuan County. Upon recognizing this as a mind-affecting anomaly, they designated it SCP-███ and moved it to the temporary Site-███ for storage. Following tests with SCP-CN-1500-4, the Foundation first established communications with SCP-CN-1500-1 by following affected individuals. SCP-CN-1500-1 initially met the Foundation with extreme hostility, but following the failure of initial contact, the Foundation attempted to send disguised agents to the area to conduct surveillance. When that also failed, the Foundation realized the nature of SCP-CN-1500-2, and shelved research on SCP-CN-1500 for the time being.

After the establishment of the People's Republic of China in 1949, the Foundation's influence in Mainland China was vastly diminished. The Foundation began seeking partnerships with the New People's Government and concentrated the vast majority of remaining manpower and materials in Mainland China into several major cities in Eastern China and in a number of centrally located sites. Due to lack of manpower, the Foundation had to stop direct contact with SCP-CN-1500-1 and use surveillance cameras for monitoring instead. It was not until October 1983 that the Foundation sent out a plainclothes task force to make contact with SCP-CN-1500-1. Because the SCP-CN-1500-1-1 at the time had experienced more contact with the outside world and could fluently speak Southwestern Mandarin, the Foundation managed, after some tentative exchanges, to have an in-depth and comprehensive conversation with SCP-CN-1500-1-1 in June 1984. In December the same year, the SCP-CN-1500 Project Team was formed, and due to the lack of research sites in Southwest China, was assigned to Site-CN-91 under the leadership of Dr. Howard Zheng.

Following the establishment of the Project Team, a full investigation into the nature of SCP-CN-1500-1 through -4 was carried out in the seven years from 1984 to 1990. As there was not much information known about SCP-CN-1500 in the early days of investigation, coupled with the lack of knowledge of memetic hazards in the early days of the Chinese branch, the SCP-CN-1500 Project Team went through over 50 researchers and agents over the seven-year period, at one point becoming the most replaced project team in Site-CN-91. In 1990, when the nature of SCP-CN-1500-1, -2, and -4 were determined and containment measures were put in place to mitigate risks, the SCP-CN-1500 Project Group was reorganized into Research Group 23, with personnel transferred to the Site-91 Linguistics Research Group (which, following the dissolution of the Department of Linguistics, was transferred to the Department of Anomalous Linguistics and Theology). In 1992, the focus of Research Group 23 turned from SCP-CN-1500-1, -2, and -4 to SCP-CN-1500-3, and research into the religion, customs and oral history of SCP-CN-1500-1 developed. Due to the anomalous effects of SCP-CN-1500-2 and -3, early Foundation researchers had to minimize contact with SCP-CN-1500-1, slowing research significantly. It was not until six years later in 1998 that "Proceedings on the Fieldwork of the Pushimai (SCP-CN-1500-1) People" was published, marking the completion of a basic description of SCP-CN-1500-1 language, religion, customs and oral history.

In view of SCP-CN-1500-3's innate anomalous qualities, the Foundation began work on development of an automatic translation system for SCP-CN-1500-3 in 1997 in order to minimize passive exposure to SCP-CN-1500-3, and in 1999 successfully created the Zhugyui-83-I-type translation device, allowing for full isolation from SCP-CN-1500-3 and additionally translating all information received in SCP-CN-1500-3 into Chinese and playing the translated sound back to the wearer's ears. As a result, Foundation researchers became able to hold longer conversations with SCP-CN-1500-1, leading to an increase in the breadth and depth of research conducted into SCP-CN-1500-1 culture. The same year, a no-fly zone was established above SCP-CN-1500-2 and Outpost-CN-91-23 was set up, marking an increase in containment security of SCP-CN-1500. The establishment of Outpost-CN-91-23 also meant the Foundation could observe SCP-CN-1500-1 from a nearer distance.

Drawing on resources gained from completion of field research, development of the Zhugyui-83-II-type translation device was completed in 2003, and at this time, a period of rapid development in SCP-CN-1500-1 research was completed. Just in the year 2004 alone, papers such as On the link between SCP-CN-1500-1 and SCP-2481, SCP-CN-1500-1 and Bon46 mythology, and On the origin and development of SCP-CN-1500-3 were published. However, not long after, the Foundation lost contact with Outpost-CN-91-23 and SCP-CN-1500-1 due to the 2008 magnitude 8.0 Wenchuan earthquake. Once contact with Outpost-CN-91-23 was reestablished, the Foundation came to know that the structures comprising SCP-CN-1500-2 had sustained heavy damage due to landslides, and further investigation revealed that SCP-CN-1500-2 had lost all anomalous qualities. In excavating the remnants of SCP-CN-1500-2, the Foundation found 15 surviving SCP-CN-1500-1, of which two died while being rescued due to crush syndrome. The remaining 13 surviving SCP-CN-1500-1, including SCP-CN-1500-1-1, were transferred to the Standard Humanoid Containment Zone at Site-CN-91.

In December 2008, following 6 months of psychological treatment, the Foundation attempted to communicate with SCP-CN-1500-1 instances again. Besides SCP-CN-1500-1-1, all other instances refused attempts at communication. SCP-CN-1500-1-1 stated that this could be because "they believed it was because they talked to nonbelievers that the Dragon Mother brought down a calamity upon them". After researchers inquired as to SCP-CN-1500-1-1's intent and meaning, SCP-CN-1500-1-1 deliberately switched to Southwestern Mandarin Chinese and spoke to the researchers, allowing them to speak to SCP-CN-1500-1-1 without fear of the risks inherent to using SCP-CN-1500-3, and once again expanding the bounds of our knowledge of SCP-CN-1500-1 culture.

As the SCP-CN-1500-1 instances suffered from chronic malnutrition and suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder following the earthquake47, 7 instances of SCP-CN-1500-1 died in custody for various reasons between 2008 and 2010. As the psychological state of the remaining SCP-CN-1500-1 instances was declining, this seemed to indicate that SCP-CN-1500-1 dying out was inevitable. After the retirement of Dr. Howard Zheng in 2009, the new leader of the Research Group, Dr. Selena Hsu, began considering using the remaining SCP-CN-1500-4 in containment to rejuvenate the SCP-CN-1500-1 population48. This plan was met with opposition from much of the Research Group, but Dr. Hsu pressed on. It was not until the intervention of the Ethics Committee, Chinese Branch that Dr. Hsu was sacked and Research Group 23 was reassigned to Dr. Gunnarr Ch'in, who continued work to rescue as much of SCP-CN-1500-1 culture from the flow of time as possible before all SCP-CN-1500-1 instances finally died out.

In the morning of October 6, 2018, SCP-CN-1500-1-1 died in custody, marking the complete death of SCP-CN-1500-1. Autopsy revealed that the cause of death was cardiovascular disease. Two days later, on October 8, Research Group 23 was dissolved, and all related documents were collated and entrusted to Site-CN-91 Department of Anomalous Linguistics and Theology, marking the end of an era in SCP-CN-1500 research. However, as information still remains unknown after the extinction of SCP-CN-1500-1, the early history of SCP-CN-1500-1 as a people is still unknown, and has been left for the next generation of scholars to sort out and research.

Addendum CN-1500-2: SCP-CN-1500-1 Religion49

SCP-CN-1500-1, referring to themselves as "Pushimai", meaning "dragon-people", are an ethnic group following a religion similar to Proto-Sarkicism, living in Ngawa County, Sichuan, China. However, unlike other Uralic-speaking Proto-Sarkic peoples of Central Asia and Eastern Europe, SCP-CN-1500-1 religion does not mention a "Grand Karcist Ion", and may be more related to the religions of other anomalous entities or groups such as SCP-2481 or the Three Witches Group.

SCP-CN-1500-1 religion surrounds a female deity known as a "pumu"50. A primitive religion, SCP-CN-1500-1 religion consists of a large mythological system and several complex rituals, which have not been explored in depth either philosophically or theologically. In the myths of SCP-CN-1500-1, only with a "pumu" can one be considered a "gexie"51 — a "divine spirit". All other divine entities can only be considered "du"52: "ghosts".

SCP-CN-1500-1 believe that this "pumu" has the upper body of a human and the lower body of a snake, and lives on the tallest mountain in the south. At first there were only snow and bare stones in the world. The "pumu" traveled the world, felt it to be boring, and swung her tail, creating a valley in the bare rock. The rivers formed in the valleys, and the "pumu" stirred the mud and sand in the rivers with her tail. The mud and sand fell by the riverside, creating humans. The "pumu" taught humanity how to marry and reproduce, then went back to the western mountain. Then the "pumu" was unbearably lonely, and chose one human, removing his skin, and turning him into a "du" like the "pumu". This individual became what is known in SCP-CN-1500-1 mythology as the "puba"53, the counterpart of the "pumu".

In SCP-CN-1500-1 mythology, in addition to the commonly seen stories of heroes and lost writing in Tibeto-Burman cultures, there are two very important stories: "the Rebellion of the Du", and "the Birth of the Pushimai". According to the SCP-CN-1500-1, "the Rebellion of the Du" is the reason the "pumu" left the earth, and "the Birth of the Pushimai" is the source of SCP-CN-1500-1. Both stories are summarized below.

"Rebellion of the Du": After the "pumu" created the "puba", she returned to the tallest mountain in the west, and after an unknown number of years, a large "du" appeared in the far west, known as the "boxiong"54. It brought with it a group of humans, who challenged the "pumu". The "pumu" was very angry, and struck the "boxiong" down with lightning. The "boxiong" fell to the ground, and became a nation. Even after defeating the "boxiong", the "pumu" was still very angry, and wanted to destroy humans for enshrining a "du" to challenge her position. But the "puba" stopped her, and the "pumu" and the "puba" started to fight, until it wore down the mountain the "pumu" lived on. The "pumu" was defeated by the "puba", and was sealed away in a star.

"Birth of the Pushimai": The "pumu" wanted more humans to worship her. But humans were too short-lived and too weak, so once they were brought up to the mountain for the "pumu", they would die. The "pumu" decided to choose a human, and wanted to remove its skin, turning it into a "du". But the "puba" said that there could not be two "du" on the mountain, so the "pumu" removed the human's skin, turning him into half a "du", and this was the ancestor of the "pushimai". The "pumu" was scared he would not have a woman to marry, so he gave him "shiya"55, allowing him to marry and bear children. His children became the "pushimai", or the "kuoba"56.

We can see in the "Rebellion of the Du" many aspects that match the mythology of SCP-2481 and the ancient Han peoples. With respect to the phylogenetic relationship between the Han people and the Tibetan and Qiangic peoples, as well as the reclusive nature of SCP-CN-1500-1, we have reason to believe that the origin of these related myths occured particularly early, or that SCP-CN-1500-1 is of the same origin as SCP-2481-3 and the Xia Anomalous Culture Group. Comparative analysis in this area is still in its infancy, and not much is known, but we expect this area will have a breakthrough in the future with the current progress in research on the Xia Anomalous Culture Group.

SCP-CN-1500-1 rituals fall into four main categories, the first of which are routine rituals, referred to by SCP-CN-1500-1 as "shushuo"57 and held every lunar month on the nights of the new moon and full moon. Each "shushuo" begins approximately 20 minutes before midnight, when SCP-CN-1500-1-1 typically raises a SCP-CN-1500-4 instance above its head and stands on the upper deck of SCP-CN-1500-2-34 (the altar), while SCP-CN-1500-1-2 through -6 stand on the lower deck and all other SCP-CN-1500-1 gather around the lower deck. At this point, SCP-CN-1500-1-1 will repeat "O Dragon Mother, please grant us food, O Dragon Mother, please grant us flesh" in SCP-CN-1500-358. At this point, some SCP-CN-1500-1 will join SCP-CN-1500-1-1 in reciting this phrase. This recital will last until approximately 20 minutes after midnight, at which point all CN-1500-1 will recite the phrase once in unison. SCP-CN-1500-1-1 has states that the goal of this ritual is to praise the "pumu" twice a month, so that she will not condemn the world, and that it believes SCP-CN-1500-2 was destroyed not because of communication with nonbelievers, but because they had neglected the "shushuo" that month.

The second type of ritual is the seasonal ritual, referred to by SCP-CN-1500-1 as "shasuo"59, and is done every three months at noon the day of the new moon. SCP-CN-1500-1-1 through -6 will produce six SCP-CN-1500-4 instances, and all SCP-CN-1500-1 instances will climb up to the upper deck of SCP-CN-1500-2-34 (the altar). The instances will use a turquoise knife to cut open their left middle fingers, and allow the blood to drip into the clay pot. When all SCP-CN-1500-1 have done so, SCP-CN-1500-1-1 through -6 will begin to heat the blood in the pot and then stand on the lower deck of SCP-CN-1500-2-34 (the altar), cover their faces with the created SCP-CN-1500-4, and repeat the phrase "O Dragon Mother, thank you for granting us bodies" in SCP-CN-1500-360 while removing all their clothes. Some early records show that SCP-CN-1500-1-1 through -6 perform sexual acts at this time, but by the 1980s, this had ceased. SCP-CN-1500-1-1 through -6 will continue repeating this phrase until the blood in the pot boils, at which point SCP-CN-1500-1-1 will ascend to the upper deck of SCP-CN-1500-2-34 (the altar) and drink all the blood in the pot, while SCP-CN-1500-1-2 through -6 continue to repeat the prayer. When SCP-CN-1500-1-1 has finished the blood, it will remove the SCP-CN-1500-4 from its face, and place it in the stove. It will then descend to the lower deck and put on its clothes, after which SCP-CN-1500-1-2 through -6 will ascend to the top of SCP-CN-1500-2-34 (the altar), remove the SCP-CN-1500-4 from their faces, place them in the stove, return to the lower deck, and put on their clothes. SCP-CN-1500-1-1 has stated that this ritual commemorates the ancestor of SCP-CN-1500-1 having its skin removed by the "pumu" and becoming "pushimai", and has said that after drinking the blood it "feels very happy, as if it had heard the call of the 'pumu'." The turquoise stones recovered from the pot in the ruins of SCP-CN-1500-2 have been shown to possess no anomalous properties.

The third type of ritual is the funeral ritual, referred to by SCP-CN-1500-1 as "xisuo"61, which is performed only at noon on the day after one of SCP-CN-1500-1-1 through -6 selects a successor and dies. At this point, SCP-CN-1500-1-1 through -662 will remove the clothes from the dead instance and clean the corpse, before bringing it to the upper deck of SCP-CN-1500-2-34 (the altar). The deceased instance's successor will use a turquoise knife to remove the turquoise scales from the skin of the deceased entity, collecting them and throwing them into the stove. After all scales have been removed, the successor will dismember the corpse, throwing the sensory organs, internal organs and genitals into the stove. The rest of the corpse will be placed in the clay pot, and will be stewed. While the predecessor is being stewed, the other five leaders will remain at the lower deck of SCP-CN-1500-2-34 (the altar), and repeat the phrase "This is the successor you have chosen, you must guide them" in SCP-CN-1500-363 until the predecessor's flesh has fully stewed. At this point, the successor will remove the bones from the stew, placing them into the stove, and will drink the remainder of the stew. Once it has finished drinking, it will stay on the upper deck until all organic materials have been burned up, at which point the ritual is over. This is the only of the four rituals that does not require the participation of ordinary SCP-CN-1500-1. Of note is the ritual on the death of ordinary SCP-CN-1500-1 is similar; however, the remains will be shared for the rest of its family to consume. Decomposition of the corpse or the cause of death of the deceased seemingly has no ill effect on those who consume it. SCP-CN-1500-1-1 states that this ritual enables the soul of the deceased to "forever stay with its family and the Dragon Mother".

The fourth ritual is the ritual of birth, referred to by SCP-CN-1500-1 as "luzuo"64, and typically occurs when a human subject under the effect of SCP-CN-1500-4 enters SCP-CN-1500-2 with SCP-CN-1500-4 attached its face, or when a human subject under the effect of SCP-CN-1500-2 enters Stage III of the effects. When the subject makes contact with SCP-CN-1500-1-1, SCP-CN-1500-1-1 will convene a meeting65, and subsequently call out all other SCP-CN-1500-1. Following this, SCP-CN-1500-1-1 will direct many SCP-CN-1500-1 instances to begin cleaning the subject and removing its clothes, accessories and implants. It will then direct four to eight SCP-CN-1500-1 instances to carry the subject to the upper deck of SCP-CN-1500-2-34 (the altar), and place it lying down by the stove. SCP-CN-1500-1-1 will stand on the upper deck, while SCP-CN-1500-1-2 through -6 stand on the lower deck. Following this, SCP-CN-1500-1-1 will announce to the assembled SCP-CN-1500-1 that a new member of their people is about to be born. If the subject is not under the effects of SCP-CN-1500-4, SCP-CN-1500-1-1 will create an SCP-CN-1500-4 and place it on the subject's face for 30 seconds, allowing the subject to become affected. Following this, all SCP-CN-1500-1 will repeat "O Dragon Mother, thank you for bringing us a new brother/sister" in SCP-CN-1500-366, and the subject will attempt to use SCP-CN-1500-3 to join in the chanting, with its pronunciation becoming more accurate the more it chants. 50 minutes after the beginning of the ritual, the subject will typically be able to pronounce SCP-CN-1500-3 perfectly. At this point, all SCP-CN-1500-1 will begin to read a prayer in SCP-CN-1500-367. The subject will attempt to mimic the other SCP-CN-1500-1 and join in in reading. Following this, SCP-CN-1500-1-1 will take out a turquoise knife and remove the skin from the subject's chest and abdomen, revealing a large amount of turquoise powder, signifying that the subject has become an SCP-CN-1500-1 instance. Following this, SCP-CN-1500-1-1 slowly remove all of the newly converted SCP-CN-1500-1 instance's skin, collecting it and placing it into the clay pot. Once all the skin has been collected, it will begin stewing the skin. During this process, all SCP-CN-1500-1, including the newly converted instance, will continue reading the aforementioned prayer. While the skin stews for around 2 hours, the turquoise powder on the subject's skin will slowly dissolve and melt, turning into scales similar to those of other SCP-CN-1500-1 instances. The SCP-CN-1500-1 instances will then pour the liquid in the pot into the newly converted SCP-CN-1500-1's mouth, until the newly converted instance has consumed all the liquid, at which point the instance will stand up. At this point, SCP-CN-1500-1-1 will take the aforementioned turquoise knife and and cut its right middle finger, allowing the blood to drip in the pot, and all other SCP-CN-1500-1 will do the same in turn, until the last SCP-CN-1500-1 has done so, at which point the newly converted SCP-CN-1500-1 will heat the blood until boiling and then drink it, concluding the ritual. SCP-CN-1500-1-1 stated that following a "very bad misfortune", this is the only way for SCP-CN-1500-1 to grow in number, but when asked about what this "misfortune" was, SCP-CN-1500-1-1 stated that it did not remember.

Compared to other Proto-Sarkic cultures the Foundation has encountered, SCP-CN-1500-1's rituals are a lot more tame, foregoing human sacrifice and cannibalism. This phenomenon may be explained by two different hypotheses. Some scholars believe that it is for economic reasons: the river valley of the ███████ River, where SCP-CN-1500-1 live, is hard to access, and as it lies on the eastern edge of the Qinghai-Tibet plateau, the complex climate makes the soil unsuitable for growing crops, making it difficult for SCP-CN-1500-1 to sustain population growth. In addition, SCP-CN-1500-2 is relatively secluded from other nearby villages, and SCP-CN-1500-1 society is relatively closed. This has forced them to give up the "luxury" of human sacrifice. Other schlars believe that SCP-CN-1500-1 are of a different ancestry than the Finno-Ugric Proto-Sarkic peoples, and as such was closer to the Xia Anomalous Culture Group. To distance themselves from the Shang dynasty, which enjoyed human sacrifice, the ancestors of SCP-CN-1500-1 gave up human sacrifice, and did not redevelop it when they moved to the mountainous regions of western Sichuan. However, neither of these hypotheses can be conclusively proven, and we expect to find more evidence to confirm one of them in the future.

Addendum CN-1500-3: A Description of SCP-CN-1500-368

SCP-CN-1500-3 Overview

Lixian.png

Location of ██ County in Sichuan Province

SCP-CN-1500-3 (endonym "pʰœçmo", previously known as "Piemohua") is the language of SCP-CN-1500-1, an ethnic group living in ██ County, Ngawa Tibetan and Qiang Autonomous Prefecture, Sichuan Province. While SCP-CN-1500-3 once had over 150 native speakers, due to the damage caused by the 2008 Sichuan earthquake, the total number of native speakers has dropped to 7 people, all contained at Site-CN-91.

SCP-CN-1500-1 was first discovered by Foundation precursors in 1869, but due to various obstacles it was not until 1984 that the Foundation first began deep research into SCP-CN-1500-1. In 1992, Dr. H. Zheng first described SCP-CN-1500-3 in his thesis Newly discovered Qiangic language in Western Sichuan, and he later published Pushimai people (SCP-CN-1500-1) field research results in 1998. Eventually, he developed the Zhugyui-83-II translation device we use today.

Comparison of SCP-CN-1500-3 lexicon with that of Tibetan and Qiangic languages

Classical Tibetan Qiang Gyalrong Khroskyabs SCP-CN-1500-3
Meaning Tibetan Wylie Southern (Taoping) Northern (Mawo) Zhuokeji Zbu Ergangli Japhug Guanyinqiao Yelong Pukesu
sky, heaven གནམ gnam χmə³³da²⁴¹pə³³ mutup nɐm mkʰɐ təməs nə mkʰɒ nɤmkʰa mə⁵³ tə³³mu⁵⁵ tma
cloud སྤྲིན་པ sprin pa χde³³ zdɤm zdᴇm zdim zdəm zdɯm zdəm⁵³ zdem⁵³ zlam
sun ཉི་མ nyi ma ma³³sɿ⁵⁵ mun kəjɑm⁴⁴ tɑŋi ʁnɑ ʁmbɣi ɣnə⁵⁵ ʁbɣi⁵³ ʃno
fire མེ me mi³³ təmtʃək sə mə ʁmə smi ʁmə⁵⁵ ʁmuˀ⁵⁵ zme
dog ཁྱི khyi kʰuə⁵⁵ kʰuə kʰə nɑ ku zᴇ kə to kʰɯna kʰə⁵⁵ta⁵⁵ /
kʰə⁵⁵
kʰe³³ne⁵⁵ kʰan
egg སྒོ་ང sgo nga χtə⁵⁵ tɕiwəst tɑɡɑm tɑɡum tʰɒɣ tɤŋgɯm stʰɑɣ⁵⁵ stʰeˀk⁵⁵ tsɑk
god ལྷ lha tsʰie³³ kʰsi ɬɐ ɬᴇ ɬɒ fsraŋma ɬa⁵³ ɬa⁵⁵ kʰsɛ
demon འདྲེ 'dre du³³ χluʂ ɬɑ ndʐə ɬɑ ndʐᴇ dju ɬɤndʐi ndʐi⁵³ /
ɬa⁵⁵ndʐi³³
ndʐe⁵⁵ du
dream རྨི་ལམ rmi lam χmu³³ rmuʁe tɑrmo təlmɑ rmo tɯjmŋo rmo⁵³ rmo⁵⁵ ʃmu
death ཤི་པ shi ba ʃe⁵⁵ ɕi kɑʃi kɑsə tɯsi sə⁵³ sə⁵⁵ si

It is clear that SCP-CN-1500-3's lexicon is close to that of the Qiangic languages. In total, the amount of differing vocabulary between SCP-CN-1500-3 and other nearby Qiangic languages (Pukesu/Guanyinqiao differ by 78.6%, Pukesu/Taoping differ by 72.6%, Pukesu/Zhuokeji differ by 76.3%) is higher than that of nearby Qiangic languages with each other (e.g. Zhuokeji/Jinchuan differ by 52.8%), which means we can conclude that SCP-CN-1500-3 is in its own branch of the Qiangic languages. Regarding the specific grouping of SCP-CN-1500-3, which is still under debate, we can see by amount of differing vocabulary that SCP-CN-1500-3 is slightly further from Gyalrong and Khroskyabs than it is to Qiang, but phonologically SCP-CN-1500-3 is dominated by polysyllabic words, with more development of complex consonants and no tones. which puts it closer to the Gyalrong and Dawu languages of the Gyalrongic branch. In addition, SCP-CN-1500-3 has many sound changes compared to Gyalrong and Qiang. Due to this, starting in 2000, our team started to consider SCP-CN-1500-3 as belonging to a group that split off early from the ancestors of the Qiang branch, explaining the awkward status of SCP-CN-1500-3 in the cross-comparison.

SCP-CN-1500-3 Grammar Overview

SCP-CN-1500-3 is an agglutinative language, combining a large number of developed words to show grammatical meaning. Like most Tibeto-Burman languages, SCP-CN-1500-3 has a SOV order, and has ergative-absolutive alignment, and marks the agent. It is commonly thought that SCP-CN-1500-3 has five classes of words: nouns, verbs, adjectives, modals and pronouns. However, due to time constraints, this report will not explain the full grammar system of SCP-CN-1500-3 - for that, please consult my work, SCP-CN-1500-3 Research and Analysis - but merely some notable features of SCP-CN-1500-3 grammar.

Like other Qiangic languages, SCP-CN-1500-3 has affixes for direction. SCP-CN-1500-3 has 12 of them in total (up, down, forward, backward, east, west, south, north, away from the mountain, towards the mountain, away from the water, towards the water); they do not affect the main meaning of the verb they are attached to69, but express the direction in which the verb takes place; most of these are rare in other Qiangic languages. This is thought to be related to SCP-CN-1500-1's extended seclusion; during lack of contact with the outside, SCP-CN-1500-1 developed large amounts of directional affixes to describe minute differences in their lives.

Under the same conditions, SCP-CN-1500-3 has also developed a complex system of evidentiality. SCP-CN-1500-3 has five levels of evidentiality (personal experience, visual sensory, nonvisual sensory, reportative, inferential), which is rare even among the Qiangic languages. It is generally thought that this feature also developed while SCP-CN-1500-1 was isolating from other communities; a means of discrimination between different types of information emerged out of high information entropy; however, it has been suggested that this complex evidentiality system may be the remnant of an earlier system.

Native Speakers of SCP-CN-1500-3 and Continued Language Transmission

SCP-CN-1500-3 is only used as a first language among the SCP-CN-1500-1 population, and due to its anomalous effects, second language speakers can be ignored. Because of SCP-CN-1500's anomalous effect, SCP-CN-1500-1 has not been significantly influenced by external languages, and so SCP-CN-1500-3 is the first language for 100% of SCP-CN-1500-1 instances. However, as the population of SCP-CN-1500-1 is itself very small, with a total of 156 people at its peak, and a current population of 7. This indicates that SCP-CN-1500-3 is in the extreme stages of language death, and by a conservative estimate SCP-CN-1500-3 could die out in 10 years.

Regretfully, due to the loss of reproductive ability of SCP-CN-1500-1, we have no way to revive SCP-CN-1500-3 among the native population, and owing to the anomalous properties of SCP-CN-1500-3 there is no real way to begin teaching SCP-CN-1500-3 to neighboring groups. We admit that this is a great regret for us.

Addendum CN-1500-4:Interview Log B-01

Preface: In the wake of the May 2008 Sichuan earthquake, the Foundation immediately sent rescue teams to SCP-CN-1500-2. Following a 72-hour extended rescue operation, the Foundation managed to rescue 15 surviving SCP-CN-1500-1 instances from the ruins of SCP-CN-1500-2, of which two later died of wounds sustained in the earthquake. The remaining 13 were transported to and contained at Site-CN-91, and underwent a 6-month psychological intervention program. On 2008/12/01, Dr. Howard Zheng conducted the first interview with SCP-CN-1500-1-1 after the earthquake. This document is the record of this interview.

[Begin Recording]

[Dr. Howard Zheng enters the interview room wearing a Zhugyui-83-II-type translation device, accompanied by two security personnel wearing ear protection. The two security personnel escort Dr. H. Zheng to his chair, then stand behind SCP-CN-1500-1-1 waiting for orders. Agent Hu monitors the interview process from an adjacent monitoring room.]

Dr. Zheng: Good afternoon, SCP-CN-1500-1-1. Have you gotten accustomed to your new home?

SCP-CN-1500-1-1: [in SCP-CN-1500-3] Good afternoon. What is this jɛ-something70 you speak of?

Dr. Zheng: That is the designation we have given to you. You should already know, after that… earthquake, a lot of things must have changed.

SCP-CN-1500-1-1: [nods slightly] I understand. I have come to understand in this time, too. You are certainly not as simple as we thought. So, what do you have to ask me?

Dr. Zheng: We want to ask… now that that disaster has passed, we want to know whether you are well.

SCP-CN-1500-1-1: Whether I am well? I am not a child, you know. Do you really only wish to ask me if I am well?

Dr. Zheng: Oh, you don't have to worry. We have no ill intentions.

SCP-CN-1500-1-1: Even so, if you had ill intentions, you'd have poisoned me a long time ago. If you have no ill intentions as you say, I'd like to ask you a few questions.

Dr. Zheng: Please, go on.

SCP-CN-1500-1-1: First of all, after that earthquake, how many of us Pushimai people are left?

Dr. Zheng: Including you, we managed to save fifteen people, but two of them have sadly passed away from their wounds. Right now, there are thirteen of you left.

SCP-CN-1500-1-1: Are you sure you checked every inch of our village? You didn't miss anything?

Dr. Zheng: We've checked every inch of your land with all our heart. [SCP-CN-1500-1-1 expresses unease.] We used our special detectors to seek out signs of life, those… those… well, they're like dogs sniffing out food, but they sniff out the sound of the human heartbeat. It's very useful for rescue operations.

SCP-CN-1500-1-1: You're saying, that machine can detect the heartbeat of a man crushed under the collapsed rubble of a house? Do you really believe technology to be that reliable? Have people beyond the mountain become like this? Relying on machines for everything?

Dr. Zheng: Yes. We have many successful experiences with it, we can guarantee that this machine is reliable. And you must have seen a lot of things while you were here. This tube here is a machine [Dr. Zheng points to the security camera installed in the corner of the interview room with his right hand] that can let people very far away see what happens in this room. That round thing is a machine, too, [Dr. Zheng points to the automatic lock on the door] that can close the room in the event of something dangerous happening, such that not even a fly can get out. This ring around my neck is also a machine, you see, I am speaking Chinese, but without needing anyone to translate I can speak to you in Piemohua. Beyond the mountains, we have a lot of these machines, but people are still in control of machines, and not machines in control of people.

SCP-CN-1500-1-1: I did not mean it in that way. I was only curious. Before I went to the mountains, the machines I saw were all single-use, made by the Westerners. I have not left the mountains in years, and do not know it had progressed this much. In that case, I have one more question. Who are you people? The last time I saw you, you said you were merchants from Luhuo, but now that I know you are here in such a bright, white house, you definitely can't be merchants.

Dr. Zheng: Don't worry. We are only very curious people. When we visited your village, we merely wanted to know about your language, your culture, and your way of life. We don't have any ill intentions. After you rejected us, we had to lie to you that we were merchants, so that we could have the chance to talk to you.

SCP-CN-1500-1-1: [doubtful] Is it really just that?

Dr. Zheng: It is, really. If we really wanted to hurt you, we could have done it easily. But we have no intention of doing so; we come with friendly intentions. Look, over all these years, we have not intervened in your way of life, up until the earthquake when we had no other choice. We couldn't have just left you to die.

SCP-CN-1500-1-1: How many of us Pushimai people did you say were left? Thirteen? That number, not even after the incident that happened in Minguo 2271 were there so few of us. Is it because we did not serve Pumu well, that she would punish and condemn us?

Dr. Zheng: Did you just say…

SCP-CN-1500-1-1: [interrupting] If you really want to understand our history and our culture, you should have told me just then. I am not like the ʃcɛɬpu of old. I am from beyond the mountains. If you had been more sincere at the time, I would have helped you convince the others.

Dr. Zheng: Oh, but we must have been too cautious back then. After all, you see, we wanted to learn your culture, understand your language, but we did not, erm, want to so quickly, in your words, enter the mountains. I hope you understand.

SCP-CN-1500-1-1: [silence] Is it because of the Piemohua? In truth, they had said to me that Piemohua is the first step towards the embrace of the Pumu. In that case, do you speak Chengdu dialect? [SCP-CN-1500-1 begins to speak in a dated Chengdu dialect of Southwestern Mandarin Chinese] I was born in Chongning72, so I speak a bit of Chengdu dialect. If you don't speak Chongning dialect, I can use Chengdu dialect. Mandarin, that I can't speak.

Dr. Zheng: [pushes aside microphone and begins speaking in Dujiangyan dialect] If you were born in Chongning, you shouldn't have much issue with Guan dialect, right? Yes, you guessed right. We couldn't go in-depth because of the Piemohua. I hope you understand.

SCP-CN-1500-1-1: [silence, then begins speaking slowly in dated Dujiangyan dialect] I haven't spoken this in a long time, I've lost my touch. You know, since I only spoke Piemohua in the village. I went to the mountains in Minguo 3073. I was sixteen then, and since then I've never spoken Chongning dialect. And what year is it now?

Dr. Zheng: Um… in the Minguo calendar, it's Minguo 97. We still have some people using it.

SCP-CN-1500-1-1: It's been so long… Looking at us Pushimai people, it looks like we won't survive after such a great disaster. In the old days, people said that Pumu already started to dislike the Pushimai. We've kept our ways for so many years, prayed and revered Pumu, but even after decades nothing had changed in our village, even though so much had changed beyond the mountain. All those years, I'd wanted to know how the world beyond the mountain had changed, wanted to ask if we could just head out and see, but we never took the chance, and now we never will. You said you wanted to understand our history, our culture? We are about to be buried in the sands of time. What is there to understand of our history and culture?

Dr. Zheng: You shouldn't say that. The way we Han perceive the world is different from the way you, the Pushimai, see the world. You said that the Pushimai cannot survive that disaster, but if you're willing, we can save it while there is still time. Write down the details of your culture and history, so that even if you are no longer here, you will have left a mark on the world.

SCP-CN-1500-1-1: Write down?

Dr. Zheng: If you have oral histories, you just need to tell them to us. Anything written you can hand to us personally.

SCP-CN-1500-1-1:Heh… If there's nobody left to pass them down to, I guess telling it to you is preferable. But I feel like today isn't quite a good day for that. I need to go home and think about how to express these concepts in Chongning dialect, and I need to try to remember how things went… I think we should end it here, if you have nothing else.

Dr. Zheng: [nods] Then let's do that.

[Dr. Zheng leaves the interview room. The other agents take SCP-CN-1500-1-1 back to its containment cell.]

[End Recording]

Note: Following this, Research Group 23 conducted in-depth field research with SCP-CN-1500-1-1. During these investigations, SCP-CN-1500-1-1 continued to use Southwestern Mandarin Chinese when not discussing SCP-CN-1500-3 directly, stating that it was "for your convenience". All contact with other SCP-CN-1500-1 have ended in failure.

Addendum CN-1500-5: Farewell Speech74

Good evening, fellow colleagues.

I believe everyone is aware that the last instance of SCP-CN-1500-1 — SCP-CN-1500-1-1 — has passed away, and I believe most of you have probably guessed why we are gathered here today. Yes, today's meeting is the dissolution of Research Group 23; in other words, once you leave this hall, you will part with our Group 23 for good. The request to dissolve Research Group 23 has already been approved by the Site-CN-91 Department of Anomalous Linguistics and Theology, and our documents and notes have been sorted out and handed over to them.

I can tell many of you are reluctant to part ways. I am too. Since I joined Research Group 23 in 2008, this place has been a source of joy for me. I will never forget those days we spent recording down words into the lexicon, nor the nights we spent deciphering documents, nor the joy of achieving results after many, many hours of work. I trust that many of you have similar happy memories, and even if we worked on different projects, we come from the same roots.

Research Group 23 was set up by Dr. Howard Zheng, and in its 30 years or so of existence, people have come and gone, and we've had many twists and turns on this journey, and many successes. Regretfully, due to his passing, we're unable to have him here today. But among you here today are many who have worked with Dr. Zheng before, and I trust that none of you will forget what he has done for this project team. Of course, his seniors in that era, too, were greats in their own right. We will never forget our colleagues who suffered through the old countermemetic treatments after being contaminated by SCP-CN-1500-3, or our colleagues who, through our juvenile folly, became SCP-CN-1500-1 instances themselves. Right now, we may not be able to imagine how Group 23 could have been the single department with the highest turnover rate out of the whole of SIte-CN-91, or how we could have lost 56 people in seven years - that's one of our colleagues leaving us every one and a half months. I'm sure all of you have gotten accustomed to seeing Euclid and Keter-class anomalies, and may not feel this is much, but in the 80s Site-CN-91 was mostly for Safe-class anomalies. 56 in seven years was an astronomical number. And it was these predecessors who suffered through pain so that we could safely do field research and investigate the SCP-CN-1500 anomaly without putting our lives in danger.

We will never forget Dr. Samantha Morgan, who discovered SCP-CN-1500-4 while tracking down SCP-███, and by following SCP-CN-1500-4 tracked down the first instance of SCP-CN-1500-1. We, who sit in clean, modern laboratories, may very well have no idea how how our predecessors over 70 years ago could have, with only a long, winding road, tracked down and stepped foot in SCP-CN-1500-2. She left behind valuable materials of the first meeting with SCP-CN-1500-1, and it was these materials that served as the beginning, from which we felt around in the darkness until we could see the whole beast that was SCP-CN-1500, instead of diving headlong into the darkness and being carried with the flow.

We will never forget our predecessors, those before the formation of the Foundation, who dared to search the area without knowing a single thing about SCP-CN-1500, based on nothing but myth and legend. Regardless of the motive, this act is something we can never forget, for it has defined the modus operandi for generations of Foundation researchers. We, today, are searching for theories yet unknown, just as those valiant souls 120 years ago had searched for SCP-CN-1500-1 in the valleys and rivers of western Sichuan. And, perhaps for as long as there is a future, this tradition of "searching" will be passed down through the generations.

We could never have imagined how SCP-CN-1500-1, after cutting themselves off from the world, transmitted their ancient histories through the generations like myth from mouth to ear, from generation to generation. Admittedly, we have SCP-2481-3, and it, too, can tell us about that mysterious, crazed era, but SCP-2481-3 is 4000 years old, and that it remembers the stories of the past is not particularly bizarre. And what about humanity? Humanity can only rely on their descendants to pass down the memory of people and events of years past, so that they are not lost to time. In this regard, I feel that SCP-CN-1500-1 deserves the admiration of all of us here, and not just the cold, neutral gaze of a containment researcher.

SCP-CN-1500-1 is a mystery with no bounds, a world we cannot fully map out. We simply sit in the midst of it all, grasping at information that flies by, trying to restore the true face of this world. And now, with the passing of SCP-CN-1500-1-1, this mystery with no bounds becomes a small fishbowl, as if we have reached the edge of SCP-CN-1500-1, and it exists within the words we have written down. And with a bang, the whole world behind us, this more ancient, more mysterious, more vast world, leaves us, as if a door has been closed. To me, and to the whole Foundation, and perhaps to the whole of history, it makes me feel a deep sense of regret.

But the road of discovery does not end here. Out of the finite resources we've collected, there are still myriad mysteries to be discovered. And some of these mysteries will be passed down from us to the next generation, and then to their next generation. The dissolution of Group 23 is not a full stop, but a semicolon. And beyond this semicolon is a new journey.

Thank you.


Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License