SCP-C-Skalisharpnose
rating: -11+x
SCP-C-SkaliSharpnose

Researchers examining the structure of SCP-XXX with the aid of added lighting

Item #: SCP-XXX

Object Class: Euclid

Special Containment Procedures: At this point it is believed that SCP-XXX is immovable. While it is theoretically possible that a large enough tunnel could be bored down to the chamber where SCP-XXX currently resides, the cost would be prohibitive and its current location is already suitably clandestine. The cave system and the mining building constructed to disguise the entrance have been designated Site-88. SCP-XXX is currently contained within a (seemingly) natural cave formation reached via a series of tunnels, the mouth of which is located at 5.██████º S, 59.██████º W. SCP-XXX refers to a device located within the last cave in the chain of caverns, which is also the only cave large enough to accommodate it. Because of the nature of SCP-XXX's effect, personnel not under direct testing should vacate to the outermost chamber, which has been wired as a "control room". All equipment not specifically designed to survive SCP-XXX's effect must be removed to a safe distance before any testing takes place.

Description: SCP-XXX is a large device of unknown manufacture. It has the form of a geodesic sphere, approximately seven (7) meters in diameter. The entire structure hovers approximately one half (.5) meter off the ground, also maintaining its distance from the cave walls. If objects are placed underneath the object, it will rise to keep away from the object, though it will not move closer than one half (.5) meter to any given surface such as walls or ceiling. If it is 'boxed in' by the walls of the cave and objects continue to be added, SCP-XXX will begin to vibrate and after a few moments, whatever objects were beneath it are pulverized into a fine powder, at which point it will settle to its original position. Attempts to move the object manually have met with failure, as it seems to resist such attempts with whatever mechanism drives its hovering.

The object's surface is made up of triangles, with multiple black plates of hexagonal sections filling in the triangles in a seemingly random arrangements. These plates are dotted with metal cylinders projecting out to an average distance of three (3) centimeters, though this distance varies from point to point, and they have been observed changing length while SCP-XXX is in operation. The structure itself seems to be made largely of titanium, carbon fibers, and several advanced alloys, including a shielding material glimpsed near its core resembling [DATA REDACTED]. Because if its complex structure, it is difficult to examine its inner workings without irreparably damaging it. Efforts are ongoing to get recording devices into the core, though attempts to date have met with failure as all recording devices have been [DATA REDACTED], likely as a result of the energies contained within. Radiometric testing has yielded tantalizing clues, and some researchers believe the device is powered by a form of atomic fusion. How this reaction is self-sustaining without the addition of fuel is currently unknown, though considering SCP-XXX's effect, it is possible that either the core is sustained by a similar process, or that the core itself may be something entirely new and indeed the source of the effect, rather than just the power source.

When activated via a console discovered in an adjoining cavern (since moved to the "control room" in the outermost chamber), the numerous plates which cover the outside of SCP-XXX begin to glow and rotate, with some flipping around so that the reverse side is shown (though sides are visually identical). The metal cylinders projecting from these panels often slide in and out during operation. The entire structure will begin to spin in place, stopping and starting with sudden movements and variable speed. SCP-XXX's effect seems to be a control over entropy in the surrounding area, or perhaps some variant on time travel. Depending on the inputs, nearby objects will "age" rapidly and degrade, including the walls of the cave (which expands as though through rapid erosion). In the reverse, items will be "restored" to a pristine condition, and extreme cases, manufactured objects will disassemble into their component parts. Once disassembled, parts will not then reassemble on the "forward" setting, instead degrading as individual pieces. This effect almost always extends to every object within the radius of influence, which is variable. As such, precautions must be taken about trying to regress any item, since this will cause the cave to "shrink" as though it had not been eroded to its present size. It is theorized that the cave was once much bigger and that is how such a large object came to rest so far within a network of much smaller caves. Whoever constructed the device may have used the regression function in an attempt to seal the caves, or at least restrict access. It is also possible, though unlikely, that the device was constructed on-site. (Note: During one test, the effect was isolated to a single test object in the chamber, but subsequent tests have been unable to repeat this process. During unauthorized testing, Dr. J. ████████ was killed in the only other known case of isolating SCP-XXX's effect. Dr. ████████, the researcher who had keyed in the original single-target test, had apparently become obsessed with the process and getting a repeatable result. Unfortunately he left no documentation as to how he replicated the effect. How he was able to evade regular psychological evaluation is currently under investigation. - O5-█)

The control console consists of a metal panel on a stand, with a "screen" of metal which is featureless when inactive but displays glowing figures when in operation. These figures are very small and possibly pictorial, and do not match any known language, though there is some resemblance in their cramped style to forms of scientific and mathematical shorthand. The console has a keyboard with one thousand three hundred and fourteen (1314) individual, identical and unlabeled keys arrayed in a semicircle. There is also a larger button in the center which seems to activate the machine, and a simple toggle which seems to control the direction of the effect (progression or regression). There is no identifying mark or manufacturer's name on any component of the machine.

The testing log is recorded in attached document SCP-XXX-A1.


Addendum: Document SCP-XXX-A1

Partial transcript of test logs for SCP-XXX follows:

Test: #4
Subject(s): One (1) mechanical alarm clock.
Inputs: Progression, keys 1, 2, 3.
Duration: Sixty (60) seconds.
Result: Clock spring unwound rapidly, causing the hands to spin. Cave walls expanded as though being eroded, expanding to twice their original size. The glass cover to the clock face crumbled to dust, while the metal pieces of the clock became dingy and brittle. When the machine was stopped and researchers attempted to collect the clock, it crumbled to powder.

Test: #5
Subject(s): One (1) mechanical alarm clock.
Inputs: Progression, keys 1312, 1313, 1314.
Duration: Sixty (60) seconds.
Result: Clock spring unwound rapidly, causing the hands to spin. Cave walls were not affected. Glass cover crumbled to dust, metal tarnished but retained most of its strength. Fine components found inside during later examination were shown to be more degraded than larger parts.

Test: #6
Subject(s): One (1) mechanical alarm clock.
Inputs: Regression, keys 1, 2, 3.
Duration: Sixty (60) seconds.
Result: Clock spring wound rapidly, causing the hands to spin in reverse. Cave walls contracted from their expanded position (as a result of Test #4) at a slow rate. Metal components took on a somewhat brighter shine, then broke down into a pile of carbon and powdered iron ore.

Test: #7
Subject(s): One (1) block of wood (Hickory) weighing one (1) kilogram.
Inputs: Progression, keys 1, 2, 3.
Duration: Ten (10) seconds.
Result: Wood dried out rapidly and crumbled to dust. Cave receded to the same distance as Test #4, despite shorter duration of experiment. //(Note: It is apparent that the same key inputs do not always guarantee the same results. Care should be taken not to damage SCP-XXX by accidentally allowing the cave walls to crush it. I recommend that before any experiments take place, the cave be widened to hopefully keep it out of SCP-XXX's radius. -Dr. J. ████████)

Test: #13
Subject(s): One (1) live pea plant, brown and dying.
Inputs: Regression, keys 134, 445, 1034.
Duration: Ten (10) seconds.
Result: Cave had been widened by a previous experiment, no change. Pea plant briefly turned green, very bright and lush, then crumbled into a mass of cellulose and water. The dirt it was planted in dried rapidly and separated into crystallized mineral compounds and dried organic matter.

Test: #19
Subject(s): One (1) live rabbit, caged.
Inputs: Progression, keys 1233, 543, 90.
Duration: Ten (10) seconds.
Result: Rabbit degenerated rapidly, going into convulsions and attempting to escape confinement. After a few seconds, subject stopped moving. Postmortem dissection revealed that it suffered multiple organ failure, though brain tissue seemed to be mostly in tact. Fur was brittle but had grown several inches in length.

Test: #23
Subject(s): One (1) human male, Caucasian, age 68, suffering from recent liver failure.
Inputs: Regression, keys 119, 32, 7
Duration: Ten (10) seconds.
Result: Subject's vitals initially spiked and liver function improved. However, subject immediately complained of intense stomach pain. At the end of the test, subject was still in a great amount of pain. Exploratory surgery revealed that he lacked any lining in stomach, leading to a series of severe stomach ulcers. Subject was later euthanized.

Test: #24
Subject(s): One (1) human female, African, age 32. Subject had been pregnant and had miscarried just moments earlier (Foundation induced).
Inputs: Regression, keys 210, 883, 1020
Duration: Four (4) seconds.
Result: Subject experienced a sharp pain, then became lightheaded and lost consciousness. Examination revealed a fetal heartbeat, which slowed and stopped thirty (30) minutes later. Subject was adversely affected by the ordeal and self-terminated several days later.

Test: #29
Subject(s): One (1) human male, Caucasian, age 45, suffering from terminal prostate cancer.
Inputs: Regression, keys 1, 445, 1112
Duration: Ten (10) seconds.
Result: Subject complained of severe pain in his groin. Post-experiment tests revealed that subject's prostate cancer had completely disappeared. Gut lining and other body cells unaffected. Subject recovered from the ordeal and remains in good health to date. (Note: This experiment, the only documented successful occurrence of a targeted effect. This led to a number of unauthorized experiments and the death of Dr. J. ████████. Because of this, security protocols have been increased and all researchers must submit to weekly psychological evaluations. -O5- █)

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License