SCP-7949
rating: +31+x

Item #: SCP-7949

Object Class: Euclid

Special Containment Procedures: Due to SCP-7949’s inherent abilities, it is to be kept in its hometown of Graycott, Arkansas1. SCP-7949 is to be monitored at all times by MTF Rho-77 “Friendly Neighbors” in case of a sudden shift in its abilities or an attempt to leave the town. Rho-77 is to be stationed in and around the town as members of law enforcement and SCP-7949’s neighbors and coworkers. Any deviation from their roles, or attempts to tell SCP-7949 about its current situation and containment protocols will be met with reprimanding actions and relocation to another containment unit. Research into developing proper containment for SCP-7949 is still ongoing at the time of writing.

Description: SCP-7949 is a Caucasian male approximately 1.52 meters in height and weighing around 100 kilograms. From interviews and government records, it has been confirmed that SCP-7949 is approximately 32 years of age, with their legal name being Stephen Phanal, a longtime resident of Graycott.

SCP-7949’s abilities only take effect when it travels outside their town to another populated center. While outside of the city limits of Graycott, SCP-7949's anomalous effect manifests, hereby titled SCP-7949-A. The longer SCP-7949 is outside of its hometown the likelihood of SCP-7949-A events causing mass panic and destruction, resulting in mild to severe losses of human life. SCP-7949-A events can vary from terrorist attacks, natural disasters, and infrastructure failures, and it is assumed SCP-7949 is responsible for at least 20 to 30 SCP-7949-A events. It is unknown if SCP-7949 knows about its anomalous abilities, nonetheless, it is to be informed that leaving the outskirts of the town will result in their arrest.

Discovery: SCP-7949 was first discovered by Foundation agents implanted within the FBI as well as other internal security organizations in several nations. Statistics showed that the rate of natural disasters and terrorist attacks had raised greatly over the past few weeks, and per protocol, agents were tasked with investigating the incidents in case of anomalous influence. Through travel records, agents discovered that SCP-7949 had been present during most catastrophes, and surveyed it closely to ensure these were not a case of coincidence. When SCP-7949 took a trip to Seattle, causing another SCP-7949-A incident, Foundation agents moved in to apprehend it soon after.


Audio Log from Interview SCP-7949

Interviewed: SCP-7949

Interviewer: Dr. Vander

Foreword: After the discovery of SCP-7949, Foundation agents in the area moved into Graycott to apprehend SCP-7949 acting as agents of the FBI. SCP-7949 was sent to the nearby Site-79 for an interview done by Dr. Ryan Vander.

<Begin Log>

Dr. Vander: Good evening, Mr. Phanal. How are you feeling?

SCP-7949: Okay, I guess. A little nervous. I almost thought I was getting mugged when your fellas approached me on the street [Laughs].

Dr. Vander: Yes, apologies for the fright, Mr. Phanal. I’m with the Federal Bureau of Investigations, and we just wanted to ask you a few questions.

SCP-7949: Oh, dear. Of course. What would you like to ask me?

Dr. Vander: First off, have you been out of state, or out of the country for that matter, in the last few months?

SCP-7949: [Pauses] Yes, I have actually. I took a flight over to… Oh, yeah, India, Delhi, yeah! Lovely place, you know. The food is quite something too. Oh, right, right. Er, a few weeks later I took another trip to Hamburg, Germany. Really interesting people there.

Dr. Vander: I see. Mr. Phanal, it seems that the locations you have visited have… well, in 91% of the cases there have been losses of human life. Around the time you visited Delhi, and near your location, a vehicle exploded, killing thirteen people.

SCP-7949: Oh dear, that’s horrible!

Dr. Vander: Indeed. And during the time you visited Hamburg, a fire spread to several apartment buildings. These aren’t the only cases either. From what I've seen on your documents it seems that this happens dozens of other times in different locations, even in the United States. When you traveled to San Bruno in California, there was an earthquake, causing severe structural damage and three deaths. I’m not saying that you are accountable for these tragedies, Mr. Phanal, but it does raise suspicion. We are going to have to keep you here for a little while.

SCP-7949: Of course, sir. I’ll stay here for as long as y’all need me.

Dr. Vander: Excellent. Thank you for your cooperation. The gentlemen outside will escort you to where you will be staying.

<End Log>

Closing Statement: SCP-7949 was led to a temporary holding cell and were to be kept there overnight. However, at around 3:27 CST, Site-79 was attacked by operatives from the Chaos Insurgency. Although security was warned about a dangerous event possibly taking place due to SCP-7949 anomalous abilities, they were unprepared for the large-scale attack on the facility. The site experienced severe structural damage, and several anomalies were released from containment. The incident finally ended at 8:45 CST, when members of MTF Epsilon-11 recontained the last anomalies that had broken out. SCP-7949 was found in its temporary holding cell and appeared to have slept through the entire incident. SCP-7949 was promptly moved back to Graycott by request of Dr. Vander

Addendum: Below is a log of notable SCP-7949-A incidents. SCP-7949 was confirmed to be present and at some times near the location of all incidents.

Audio log from Interview SCP-7949-1

Interviewed: SCP-7949

Interviewer: Dr. Henderson

Foreword: On August 3rd, 2020, SCP-7949 was caught by agents of Rho-77 trying to leave the outskirts of Graycott. SCP-7949 was quickly apprehended and sent to the local police station, where he was interviewed by Dr. Leland Henderson.

<Begin Log, August 3rd, 2020. 12:34 AM.>

Dr. Henderson: Good afternoon, Mr. Phanal. I just wanted to ask you a few questions regarding your recent attempt to leave Graycott.

SCP-7949: Fine. What do you want to talk to me about?

Dr. Henderson: Well, I think we should get to the point. Why did you attempt to leave Graycott, even though you knew you would get arrested if caught?

[SCP-7949 does not respond.]

Dr. Henderson: Mr. Phanal, need I remind you if you do not answer my question, there will be further restrictions on your-.

SCP-7949: You wanna know why I tried to leave? Why do I travel so much? Because I fuckin' hate this town! Do you know what it's like to see the same boring houses every day? Meet the same shitty people each time I step outside?! It's awful! The only exciting place we have in this damn place is the damn Dollar Tree that opened a few months ago! I don't even see people working in there! And when I do they act strange, like I'm a goddamn alien or something! And they never let me in the back of the store! They always let me in the back! And there are always new people at my workplace, for some damn reason! I've never met any of them at all, and they act like they're from a different fuckin' reality! I'm not! I'm a standup goddamn citizen who pays taxes!

Dr. Henderson: Mr. Phanal, please, calm down. If you continue I will have the agents restrain you.

[SCP-7949 takes a few moments to calm down before responding.]

SCP-7949: I'm fine. I'm alright. I just… This place is suffocating. I wake up sometimes and I feel like there is weight just being pushed onto me. I can't move or leave to another town. Not just because you and your folks are here, not just that. I… I don't know, but it feels like something is keeping me here. Wrapping its arms around me and tryna bear hug me. I dunno. I guess it's cause I've lived here my entire life or something like that.

Dr. Henderson: I see. That will be all, Mr. Phanal. Thank you for your cooperation.

SCP-7949: Yeah. No problem.

<End Log, 12:41 AM>

Closing Statement: SCP-7949 was returned to its home shortly afterward. Dr. Henderson noted a shift in SCP-7949's psychological state (See Addendum 2A).

Addendum 2A: Several days after it attempted to leave, SCP-7949 was reported by agents of Rho-77 circulating Graycott and asking several citizens and agents to sign a petition. SCP-7949 did this for one day, getting approximately 1/4th of the population of Graycott to sign it in one day. The next day Rho-77 reported that SCP-7949 had made a post on Facebook, creating an event that all citizens within Graycott could participate in. Rho-77 was authorized to go to the scheduled event and survey SCP-7949.

On the day of the event, SCP-7949 was recorded by Rho-77 participating in community activities with several other citizens in the town, as well as agents impersonating civilians and law enforcement. The event lasted for four hours and ended with nothing of much importance happening. Events like these continued happening for several weeks and SCP-7949 was reported conversing with locals more than before, allegedly giving them advice on the issues they were having in life as well as offering assistance.

On September 3rd, a signed petition was sent to Graycott's town hall, signed by more than 30 people including SCP-79493, with the petition asking the mayor of Graycott to allow the citizens to remodel the town in a large community event. The request was forwarded to the Foundation and after debate amongst SCP-7949 containment and research team, it was permitted.

On September 4th, SCP-7949 gathered with several dozen citizens, including implanted Foundation agents, to refurbish Graycott. The event spanned several days and Rho-77 observed SCP-7949 along with several citizens of Graycott repainting the town square, planting trees in the local park, assisting other locals with their endeavors, setting up a date for an annual town fair, and more (See SCP-7949 Event log for details). Foundation agents were permitted to assist SCP-7949 while continuing to follow their roles as members of the town and law enforcement.

Afterward, the town of Graycott was remodeled completely, sharing nearly no similarities to how the town looked before. Data asserted from SCP-7949's psychological condition shows that the mood of the subject was at an all-time high.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License