SCP-7934
rating: +49+x

Item #: SCP-7934

Object Class: Euclid

Special Containment Procedures: SCP-7934 is to be kept in an artificial freshwater lake on-grounds at Area 565, and fitted with a tracking tag to monitor its movements underwater. The location was established due to similar environmental conditions to SCP-7934's original habitat. Live eels, trout, and salmon have been introduced to the habitat to provide a steady diet for SCP-7934. If SCP-7934 approaches any personnel on the shoreline of the lake, or while they are in an observation boat, they are to remain calm, so as not to cause it distress. If it vocalises or rests its head in the boat, personnel are to gently stroke its head or neck until it is satisfied, taking the opportunity to check its physical health. If a Surgeon Event is observed, personnel are to begin an immediate misinformation campaign, promoting the existence of SCP-7934 to the general public. Update: As of 22/06/2004, the preceding Special Containment Procedures are outdated. Refer to Revised Containment Procedures.

Description: SCP-7934 is currently a quadrupedal marine reptile bearing a close resemblance to a specimen of the genus Plesiosaurus, albeit larger in size than any fossil of the genus that has been discovered. Its body length is roughly 6.4m, with its neck comprising roughly 2.5m of that length, and its body mass has been approximated to be 970kg. Despite its appearance, SCP-7934 displays behaviour incongruent with current understandings of plesiosaurs; it has been observed raising its neck and bending its head at angles unsupported by current models of Plesiosaurus biology. SCP-7934 also shows notable signs of intelligence, including self-recognition of its reflection and a tendency to develop attachments to specific research staff.

SCP-7934's physiology has dramatically changed several times over the course of its time in Foundation captivity. These changes in physiology typically take a month to complete1 and are often visceral, with SCP-7934 invariably vocalising in pain or distress as its body reshapes itself.

Date of change2 Physiology Size Weight
1846 (year of initial recovery) Resembled a large Irish wolfhound, with what appeared to be peat moss growing from its fur. 81cm (from foot to shoulder) 62kg
1857 Resembled a large reptile. Snout was elongated, with nostrils located on top of the nose. Eyes were enlarged and bulbous. Feet were noticeably crocodilian in form. 8m (from snout to tail) Approx. 700kg
August 1888 Resembled a fire salamander3. Was observed propelling itself across the surface of the water by running, similar to a basilisk lizard4. 7m (from snout to tail) Approx. 550kg
May 1933 - April 1934 Physiology became inconsistent and varied. At times, SCP-7934 was amphibious; at others, it was fully aquatic. Details including size, weight, type of feet, number of legs, length of snout, length of neck, and shape of head could alter, uniformly causing pain and distress to the organism. Varied Varied
21 April 1934 Resembles an abnormally large plesiosaur. This is SCP-7934's current physiology. 6.4m (from snout to tail) Approx. 970kg

Incident 21/04/1934: In 1934, Dr. Anne Menzies, an assistant zoologist assigned to SCP-7934, made a series of notes in her personal journal detailing independent research into the organism's history and physiology.

On 21/04/1934, a photograph, purported to show SCP-7934 in its original habitat, was published in a national newspaper. That same day, SCP-7934's physiology changed into its current form8. After briefly stopping at Area 565 to check SCP-7934's health, Dr. Menzies surrendered herself to Foundation staff with the original photographic plate, confessing to organising the hoax in an attempt to ensure SCP-7934's survival. A search of her home found the above journal and several items used to create the photograph9. In light of SCP-7934's dramatically improved wellbeing, and a defence by its head researcher, Dr. Cantwell, Dr. Menzies was given the minimum penalty of a two year probationary period, during which she was not to work on SCP-7934. She returned to her position as assistant zoologist on SCP-7934 in 1938; upon noticing her, SCP-7934 approached the observational boat and vocalised for three hours, pausing occasionally to rub its neck against the boat.

Incident 07/12/1975: On 07/12/1975, the photograph taken by Dr. Menzies was exposed as a hoax in a national newspaper. For roughly 26 hours following the distribution of the story, SCP-7934 ceased to exist; its tracking tag did not register any information, and it could not be located in its habitat. In response, Foundation agents launched a misinformation campaign, downplaying the exposure of the photograph and exaggerating the potential existence of SCP-7934 in its original habitat. This was successful in stabilising SCP-7934's existence, and it maintained its physiology upon its return; however, over the next few weeks, researchers noted an apparent change in mood. SCP-7934 was observed to be more agitated than usual, being startled by loud noises. It also frequently approached researchers in the observation boat, resting its head on the gunwale and vocalising until it received a gentle pat.

Following Incident 07/12/1975, SCP-7934 would cease to exist four more times, in 1987, 1999, 2001, and 2002; such events were officially termed Surgeon Events. While Foundation efforts were able to suppress any information regarding SCP-7934's actual status, an apparent decrease in belief in its existence seemed to have corresponded with the increase in Surgeon Events. On 21/12/2003, Dr. Raavi, the lead researcher on SCP-7934, made the following proposal to European Regional Overseer Llewellyn.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License