SCP-7789

rating: +20+x

NOTICE FROM THE FOUNDATION RECORDS AND INFORMATION SECURITY ADMINISTRATION

The anomaly covered by this document has appeared recently. At the time of writing, 10 hours and 24 minutes have elapsed from event IMPACT. This file is thus likely to be edited during the upcoming hours.
— Maria Jones, Director, RAISA


Item#: 7789
Level3
Containment Class:
pending
Secondary Class:
none
Disruption Class:
none
Risk Class:
none

bcnbcndefdef.png

Footage previous to event IMPACT, already affected by the anomalous capabilities of SCP-7789.
Notice the impactor near the upper left corner of the image.




Special Containment Procedures: An exclusion area of 3 kilometers in width has been established around SCP-7789. The exclusion area has been occupied by Foundation personnel, who are to enforce lockdown for civilians inhabiting the area and impede the entrance to SCP-7789. Civilians residing within the exclusion area are to be gradually relocated to temporary camps and amnesticized. Official announcements and media coverage are to be manipulated to portray SCP-7789 as non-anomalous.

Description: SCP-7789 refers to a 150 km2 area that gained anomalous properties following event IMPACT, encompassing the majority of Barcelona city and some parts of bordering cities1.
Event IMPACT is the designation given to the meteorite impact that took place on 7:26 of 02/17/2023 in Barcelona. The impactor was not identified by satellites before entering the atmosphere and is presumed to be anomalous itself, although very little data has been collected about the object.

SCP-7789 is affected by a selectively inverted gravitational field. While buildings, atmosphere and terrain are unaffected, solid objects not secured to the ground are accelerated toward the sky by this field. Liquids display varying behavior depending on the nature of the liquid.

SCP-7789 interferes with electrical technology, rendering it unusable within its interior. Temperatures between 25 and 35 degrees celsius have been recorded inside SCP-7789, which are abnormally high in contrast to the usual winter temperatures in Barcelona. This temperature difference has caused strong air currents at ground level. Research is ongoing.


Addendum 7789-1: Exploration-7789-1 mission report.

On 15:33, MTF Sigma-9 "Valkyries" entered SCP-7789 on a reconnaissance mission. Due to the electrical anomaly associated with SCP-7789, it has not been possible to record the exploration. Attached is the report of mission leader Agent Robinson, which was recorded in audio format soon after the team returned.

defdefdef.jpg

Vela Hotel

Five of us went in today. Carl, Hall, Vidal, Markov, and me, each of us carrying our hang glider. We took off from a ship near the border of the skip. The air going into it should carry us fast enough to reach Vela sufficiently high to land. Hell if that worked. The wind was way stronger than anybody expected and too hard to control. Carl missed the window and hit right with the wall, then fell to the sky. Hall also failed to hit the window, but thank god she didn't end up the same. She just fell from three floors height, breaking her leg. Vidal damaged his glider during landing, there's no way he can come through the currents backward with it.
We aided Hall the best we could, then left the skip with her, leaving Vidal waiting for rescue. We didn't explore the skip. Higher-ups might reprimand me for not doing so, but I could not force my team any further after that landing.
But we did find out something after all. There is not a single living human in that hotel. Only rotten corpses.


Addendum 7789-2: Recovery mission.

On 16.19, the recovery mission for agent Vidal was dispatched towards the rendezvous, room 1907 of Vela hotel. Inside the room, agents found the following journal:

Hello, Vidal here. If you are reading this, I'm probably long dead.

After the rest of the team left, I waited for the rescue for hours. But nobody came. After I had waited for god knows how long, I noticed that the Sun had not moved since we arrived. Not a damn inch. So, long story short, time here doesn't work as it should, it passes way more slowly than outside. Fuck.

At least I have food and water here. When I noticed how fucked up the situation was, I patched my glider the best I could and used it to reach this warehouse from Vela. Here I've found water and conserves to last a few weeks, the pen I'm writing with, and this notebook. Judging the state of the food here and the corpses back at Vela, it seems that it's been more than a decade. God. Years here and only a few hours outside. The more I think about my chances to escape this hell, the less realistic I find them. There's no way the glider can go back through the currents in its state. Waiting for recovery isn't an option either since water and food won't last enough. I'm going to die alone, aren't I?


It's been three days since I last wrote, if days make any sense here. Food and water will last, even if they taste awful.

Anyways, dear whoever-you-are, let me tell you about myself. I grew up in this city. I was once a regular cop who did well fighting a monster I can't even remember. The black suit guys then hired me to deal with their shit. Back when I joined the Foundation, my biggest fear was dying far away from home, killed by eldritch monsters in some strange land. But I'm just going to starve to death in my very own city.

You see, the worst part of dying slowly is having time to think about it. Damn, I'd sure love to swap places with Carl, wherever he's now. It's sure better than this cheap upside-down warehouse.


Hey there. I won't even try to tell how long it's been since the last time. I'll just say I've had time to think: on this place, on the future, on what I have and have not done, on family, friends, and everything in between… and on death. Now I know that self-pity won't take me anywhere. Crying won't either. We came here with a mission: surveillance. The duty lasts, even If it's only me now. I'm setting off after I wake up. The higher-ups said the crater was close to the Sagrada Família, so at least I know where to go.

Goodnight, even if the Sun's still low down in the sky.


Good morning pal. Now that I'm through my inside shit, let me tell you about the one outside. This meteorite did a lot more than the description said. First, the time alteration. But there's more. Some plants have sprouted around the area. No common plants, though. Immense roots, from half to two feet wide, hanging off the floor and crawling on the buildings. Some trunks have massive leaves hanging from them, large enough for me to stand on. Both roots and leaves are comprised of the same material, pitch black in color. Its touch is unlike anything I've seen, and its surface cold like ice. Whatever this plant is, I'm sure it's not from Barcelona. But, be them earthly or not, I can use these roots and leaves to cross the chasms between buildings. I can't fall into the abyss yet. I have a mission to complete, and it's time to hit the road.


It's been a while since I left the warehouse. Moving is tough, there aren't as many bridge trunks and leaves as I'd like. At least I came across a nice fire axe, really good at breaking doors. With it on my side, reaching any window from inside its building is simple. The bad part is that the flats are… rough. Furniture smashed against its own weight, buried under an inch of dust. Some apartments have corpses inside, the bodies of those who preferred to die of thirst than to throw themselves into the abyss. I guess you can imagine.

Of the anomalies I've faced, this is by far the most far-fetched one. Jesus, it has killed a thousand times as many people as any other anomaly I know about. It's overwhelming, but I gotta keep my head up until I've done what I came for. Let's keep going.


I'm sitting on a balcony in front of França station, feet facing the sky. I can't deny that flipped gravity and weird vegetation give a twist to modernist architecture. But it's awkward to see it like this, so foreign and so own at once.

When I was young, back in high school, I used to come here frequently. Just another stop in my daily commute. I eventually forgot to appreciate the beauty of this place. Trains kept coming in and out all day and night, leaving and picking up swarms of people. The crowds are now gone, but the station remains, standing against time. And it remains, in some way, more magnificent than ever. Damn, one must be desperate to find beauty in this hell. I guess I'm that one, aren't I?

Well, I should get going. At least it seems that from here onward, leaves will be more abundant and streets more narrow, so moving should get easier.



I've progressed some more. I left Arc the Triomf behind a while ago, and I'm now going deeper into the Eixample. Even with the grid-like structure of this neighborhood, the streets are beginning to get hard to recognize. The black greenery is taking over more and more buildings as I progress towards the city center. Sun barely filters between the leaves here, and I'm starting to use concrete bridges to cross vegetation gaps, not the opposite.

Moreover, the buildings now look even more ruined, as if more time had passed. I guess the time-slowing does get stronger the deeper into the city. The heat they warned us about is getting annoying, even under the leaves' shadow. But, given that this place has been decades under the Sun, shouldn't it be even hotter? I guess this is the plant's doing, as with everything else. It's funny how a single extraterrestrial vegetable could crush Barcelona, a city that endured countless wars and pandemics.

The point is that, with the degrading state of this place, the odds of falling to the sky increase with every step I take, and the strong winds do not help. I cannot risk falling due to some slippery root or crumbling ceiling. Fortunately, Passeig the Gràcia is only a couple hundred meters ahead, and there's a subway station right there. If my memory serves me well, there's a line that can take me directly from Passeig to Sagrada Família. If I'm lucky, gravity will be fine in the underground. Creuem dits, company. 2.


In retrospect, I shouldn't have come down here. If what I've seen until now was horrible, this is… I can't even find words for it. It turns out that gravity did flip in here too, and it did so during peak hours. All the subways, crowded with commuters, crashed at the same time. Most people didn't make it out of their wagons, I can't even see the floor in some of them. If I hadn't left Barcelona to join the Foundation, I'd have probably ended like them. It would not be that bad if it weren't for this smell… It's worse than anything you can imagine. I used some cloth to cover my mouth and nose for a while, but the stench reached anyway. At least I have this improvised torch with me, so I can see the corpses before tripping with them. It's not much, but it is something.

I've progressed two stops for now, though there are three more left. Only two stations and I had to rush to the surface to breathe fresh air. But relaxing up here won't make me any closer to Sagrada Família. I must keep going.

See you there, friend.


Here I am, sitting right at the subway exit. I can see the core up close from here and it's… damn. This is hard to describe with any words I know. I guess I'll just try my best. The whole Sagrada Família has been obliterated by the impact. The crater measures at least 300 meters in diameter, but it's hard to tell as its edges have been blurred out over time. In the middle, there's this tree, the center of the whole plant. Tall as a redwood, with its branches stretching across half of the crater, way further than one would expect them to. And in the middle, surrounded by the arms of the three, there's some form of… energy. A dark aura shaped like a disk, vibrating so strong that makes the wind feel like breeze at its side, just while spinning rapidly around itself. Yet it feels incomplete. There's a large gap between the branches and the disk, as if it still needed to expand outwards. And… it even seems like you could see through the energy, like there was something behind. But I'm not sure, and I can't see well from this far away, so take all this with a grain of salt.

Although I'm sure the plant must have been building up all this for years: the roots and leaves collected the heat and light the Sun gave them. And the temporal anomaly gave them those years. Gravitational and electrical anomalies are there to make sure nobody gets to know what I now know: that this meteorite is charging up something. Something so damn terrible it could end the world. Be it a bomb, a portal, or one of those weird thaumaturgic rituals, I don't care what it is. I just want you, Foundation, to destroy this monster. Not only to evade a cataclysm but to honor this city. To honor the people of Barcelona. People who have endured wars and repression for centuries. Anything else would be scoffing at their deaths. And I don't care if crushing the core might tear down the veil or if it might anger some governments. You must do it because you have no other option.

But, in the end, all this is up to you. My part of this play ends when I get this notebook back to Vela, and it's about time I get going.


Back to the beginning. I'm sitting where we landed, the sun as low as my first day here. Everything looks the same, but it isn't all the same. I've changed.

Before, I said that the worst part of a slow death was being able to think about death itself. But that's wrong. The worst part is remembering all the experiences you should have lived, all the friends you won't see again, and those who you won't ever meet, whoever they are. But that's how the world is. Maybe I was bound to get stranded in this place, it was my fate as a Barceloní. On the other hand, this journal might save the world. But that responsibility is not on me anymore.

However, it is in my hands to decide how to leave. I first thought of ending this journal with the previous page, but… I want to say goodbye to everyone, as it's unlikely I'm coming back. Nobody I care about will have the clearance to read this journal, so I'm writing these words with the hope that you can tell them some of it, whoever you are. Please.

Tell Robinson he's been the best captain I've had, both inside and outside the battlefield. Remember him to be as nice to the next recruits as he was to me, and not to mix their powder with glitter. Damn, that was a good one, it got me laughing even now.
Then tell the rest of MTF that it was a damn pleasure. Both to be a Valkyrie and to do so at their side. I couldn't find a better team, even if I hadn't died here. Also, tell Hall to get well soon. I know how badly she hates being in a hospital bed.
And… tell Martha that when I hurt my hand, it was not in a fight. It was me punching the wall when they told me she was getting trespassed. Remember her that she'll always have a saved spot here at the Valkyries, for whenever she can come back. Ironically, there are plenty of vacancies to cover right now.
Finally, tell them all that, even though I would've changed some details, I wouldn't have chosen to live any other life.

Now it's about time I stop crying and get going. I still have one card left to play, waiting for me back at the core. Remember when I said I could see something through the energy? Let's find out what that was. Wish me luck, friend.

See you soon,
Adrià Vidal.



On 17:34, a second exploration was dispatched with the mission to overfly the core of SCP-7789 in order to check agent Vidal's claims. The team members confirmed the description of the crater featured in the agent's journal. The destruction of the core of SCP-7789 via anomalous weaponry is now pending O5 approval.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License