SCP-7556

rating: +65+x

Item #: 7556

Object Class: Safe/Neutralised

Special Containment Procedures: Monitoring of the Northern Atlantic Ocean is to be carried out until further notice in order to locate lost tissue from the anomaly’s corpse while at sea. In the event that other biomass samples are located with similar genetic abnormalities to SCP-7556, specimens are to be sent to Site-184 for the purpose of ascertaining the samples' origin.

Globsters

The shoreline upon which SCP-7556 was initially discovered.

Portions of SCP-7556’s viscera, organs and limbs are presently located across Site-184, Site-44 and Area-12's Biological Storage Wings respectively and are available under the approval of on-site parazoology specialists.

Description: SCP-7556 is a colossal marine organism of unknown origin or genus that washed up on the shores of Eastern Canada in 1988. The organism’s anatomy appears to be adapted to a wholly carnivorous diet and suggests that SCP-7556, while alive, took the role of a deep sea superpredator. While its corpse was discovered on the Canadian shoreline, the anomaly’s previous habitat remains undetermined, though is presumed to have included the majority of the Arctic Circle and a large portion of the Atlantic Ocean.

SCP-7556 was initially discovered, deceased, in a partially decayed state, meaning that its physiology when alive is unknown. Observations have concluded that it likely perished due to an attack or skirmish, attributed to by the presence of large gash wounds on its upper abdomen (See Addendum 7556.1).

Globster2.5

Researcher Tucker’s photograph of the ‘Bermuda Blob’.

Discovery:
SCP-7556’s cadaver was found mostly whole in the autumn of 1988 in Canada, though other remains have been located elsewhere. In winter of the same year, a chunk of nearly identical tissue was found in Bermuda that attracted the attention of locals. Following investigation and testing, the remnant was assumed to be adipose tissue originating from the anomaly, though knowledge of its exact biological function was irreversibly compromised due to heavy decay. The sample was transported to Site-44 for further testing, though findings were inconclusive.

In the decades following the initial incident, portions of SCP-7556’s remains have been observed washing ashore across the Atlantic and Arctic Oceans due to undersea currents and streams. Publicly, the phenomenon is known under the umbrella term of “globster”1 due to the belief that each sighting consisted of separate unidentifiable deep sea biota. Nonetheless, the distance between sightings suggests that the organism perished in the open seas as oppose to near-coastal waters.

Addendum 7556.1: Anatomical Investigation and Initial Containment
In the days following the anomaly’s discovery and seclusion from the public eye, Cryptozoology Specialist Dr Whittaker was consulted to investigate the corpse and make note of its physiological makeup and features alongside a crew of selected personnel.

SCP Foundation

The Anatomical Notes of Dr Whittaker

Regarding The 1988 Unidentified Atlantic Superpredator

ten.PiCS|rekattihWJ#ten.PiCS|rekattihWJ
Ext 6538
Fax 0697


INTERNAL USE ONLY

Addendum 7556.2:
2 months following SCP-7556’s discovery, its decay revealed a waterproof tag attached to the underside reading:

SCP Foundation, Site-228, Specimen 02, Tvíburi9

The former Foundation Site-228 was located on the seabed of ████, ███████ and ceased operations on 19/12/1940 due to the extreme expense of its maintenance and upkeep. While this was the official reason for its suspension of service, it has been deemed by the Accounting Department that the figure of its maintenance cost was grossly exaggerated and larger than its true value. The use of the missing funds remains unknown, though it is now suspected to be directly related to SCP-7556. Further research is ongoing.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License