SCP-7430
rating: +23+x

Item #: SCP-7430

Object Class: Keter

Special Containment Procedures: The Foundation has infiltrated the local authorities in the town of Lockwood for a more efficient control over the anomaly. Disappearance rates of people between the ages of 15 and 50 must be constantly monitored.

The forest surrounding the town must be also monitored through the use of 20 surveillance posts scattered throughout the area, used primarily by research teams and standard security personnel. Civilians found wandering alone in the forest must be persuaded to return to the more populated areas by the security team, who will pose as local rangers.

Anyone successfully affected by SCP-7430 is to have their existence erased from the public eye and from all records except this document.

Drones and other unmanned means must be used for the search and recovery of instances of SCP-7430-1, which are to be disposed of by incineration. Any civilian or staff member who had contact with or is experiencing activity related to SCP-7430-1 is to be interrogated, and if necessary, properly amnesticized or quarantined depending on the severity of the effects.

Any descriptions, news, entertainment, or acts of public reverence towards SCP-7430-1 are to be monitored and censored.

Update 5/26/1986: Due to the nature of SCP-7430-1, directly describing the anomaly or tangible elements of its composition must be avoided.

The use of thaumaturgical methods to neutralize the anomaly have been declared ineffective.

Description: SCP-7430 is an anomalous event currently affecting the population of the town of Lockwood, Oregon. This event occurs approximately 2 to 3 times a year, and causes the disappearance of a single civilian of any gender between the ages of 15 and 50. Generally, the disappearances themselves do not follow a specific pattern, although the consensus dictates that the zone where every person is last seen tends to be in areas close to the forest surrounding the town.

Affected individuals often experience personality changes or unusual behaviors prior to disappearance, although the duration or intensity of this effects varies greatly. It is believed that at their highest level of intensity, disappearances can be caused by the spontaneous demanifestation of the individual.

These disappearances always lead to the individual becoming part of SCP-7430-1.

SCP-7430-1 refers to [DATA EXPUNGED]1.

Due to this, SCP-7430-1's capabilities and influence increase based on the number of successful SCP-7430 events, as well as the number of people interacting with any of its instances. It is believed that this effect can also be transmitted between individuals.

Addendum 7430.1: Discovery

The effects of SCP-7430 were finally discovered after the events of April 1st, 1986, when the disappearance of 26-year-old Evelyn Brocke led to a massive anomalous event.

4 days after being declared missing, an instance of SCP-7430-1 was found by local authorities and taken for study at the local forensic department. Due to the nature of the object found, doctors and members of the authorities as well as administrative and cleaning personnel present in the building ended up being affected by SCP-7430-1, which resulted in a massive exposure of the anomaly to the population of Lockwood.

Approximately 59 individuals, including 24 members of the authorities and 35 civilians, were lost in the events of April 5th.

Staff incorporated in the town who escaped the event alerted the Foundation and a mass amnestization campaign began on the entire population of Lockwood. In the following weeks, the properties and effects of SCP-7430 were determined.

The present documentation was also updated to avoid direct description of SCP-7430-1, after this nearly led to a containment breach on May 26, 1986.

Upon closer investigation of the town's history, it was discovered that the disappearances had been occurring for the last 11 years, although their effects had never reached a significant enough intensity to be discovered by the Foundation, or, in most cases, their respective instances of SCP-7430-1 were never properly found. In most of these cases, moreover, people had begun to attribute these disappearances to the act of an alleged serial killer, which led to an unsuccessful investigation by the local police, partly minimizing the suspicion of Foundation members infiltrated in said authorities.

Addendum 7430.2: List of relevant SCP-7430-1 instances.

Date: March 6, 1981
Subject: Terrence Phillips
Age: 17
Catalyst: [DATA EXPUNGED]
Description: Subject is declared missing one day after leaving for school on the morning of March 6. After 2 months of search, an instance of SCP-7430-1 is discovered by a group of campers, lying face down in a puddle in the south-east area of the local forest.
Manifestation: Lisa Hawkins, one of the campers, in the following weeks after the event makes an appointment with her dentist due to a constant itchy feeling in her tongue. The sensation ceases after 1 month. No more activity is registered.

Addendum 7430.3: First chronological manifestation of SCP-7430

During the investigation period of SCP-7430 following the events of April 1st, 1986, information was gathered from the locals to establish a timeline of events surrounding the anomaly. This was how the first official disappearance related to SCP-7430 was discovered, referring to 9-year-old Thomas Heffley on December 24th, 1974.

Mr. Heffley, who now was 21 years old at the time and who had been living with his family in Nevada since 1978, was contacted to provide his experience with the incident.

Said interview is attached below.

Thomas Heffley, who lived his childhood in Lockwood, disappeared on the night of December 24, in the middle of a family reunion. After being unsuccessfully searched for by his parents and uncles, the authorities were alerted. Two days later, Thomas, unconscious, was found nearly buried by snow in a remote area of the woods, with only a single █████ missing. He was rescued and sent to the hospital, where it was not possible to explain how the infant would manage to survive so long without dying naturally from hypothermia. The boy's testimony was not made public.

In 1986, Thomas was contacted by the Foundation and interviewed at his current residence in the state of Nevada by agent █████ on May 26 at 1:23 PM

<Begin Log>

INTERVIEWER: Could you describe your experience living in Lockwood, Oregon?

HEFFLEY: Yes of course. Uhh, I lived there my entire childhood, my dad and my grandpa moved there when he was a teenager. Nice, calm town, lots of nature.

INTERVIEWER: Please, try being more specific.

HEFFLEY: Uhm, my father worked at a gas station, mom worked at home. I didn't have many friends, but the townspeople were always very friendly. Although somewhat superstitious.

INTERVIEWER: What do you mean by "superstitious"?

HEFFLEY: Well, you know, the town, it wasn't very big until more people came to live there in the 70s. Before, they had always been that kind of a closed community, I don't think I need to explain

INTERVIEWER: Please, explain in great detail.

HEFFLEY: (Sighs)

HEFFLEY: My grandfather always talked about the people who used to live there, in the woods, weird religions, I always thought they were like hippies, according to him they were more like gypsies or something like that. People used to find weird necklaces on the trees, weird music coming from the woods at night, the townsfolk fed urban legends to scare the kids, including Dad. We stopped hearing anything from those people during the 60´s though.

INTERVIEWER: Interesting, thanks. Thomas, I understand that there were also some strange disappearances during the 70's and 80's, right?

HEFFLEY: Uhh, no, I don't know

INTERVIEWER: Your family moved in '78, right? Hadn't there been a wave of people disappearing? Murders or something like that?

HEFFLEY: Well uh, I guess I just heard some rumors. They said there was, uh, a man in the woods, a murderer or something. The son of a friend of dad's also disappeared, I think that scared him, I always thought he had just run away, I don´t really know.

INTERVIEWER: Thomas, we know that you apparently disappeared for 2 days when you were 9 years old. Christmas of '74, remember? Could you tell us something about that day?

HEFFLEY: I'd rather not talk about that

INTERVIEWER: It is not a matter of what you prefer or not. Thomas, please describe what you remember about that day.

HEFFLEY: Why? Are you with the government or something? I d-

INTERVIEWER: Thomas. I have a group of officers waiting outside.

(Silence)

HEFFLEY: Uhh… I remember it was on Christmas Eve. My grandfather had a cabin, on the outskirts, we used it for family events, things like that… I only have vague memories of what happened before. We were at the cabin, it was night and everything was covered in snow, dad had trouble parking us earlier. Uh, I was on the couch, I had been playing with mom, we were waiting for dad to finish dinner. I remember my aunt called mom to ask her for help with something, I think, I don't remember what. I think I fell asleep, it felt like being asleep, or I got distracted, I don't know. When no one was looking, I got up and walked to the exit. I was walking through the snow, up the hill, I couldn't see anything.

INTERVIEWER: Why did you do that?

HEFFLEY: I, uh, I don't know, I don't think I wanted to, I could hear mom calling my name, I could see the cabin from above, far way, I think I ignored it and kept walking. It was all very dark and I was freezing, I remember touching the branches while walking through the trees to guide me. It felt like being disassociated, like I was dreaming. It scares me, how easy it was.

INTERVIEWER: Please Thomas, focus. What else do you remember?

HEFFLEY: I kept walking for a while longer, an hour, maybe? Definitely an hour or two. Eh, there was this, circle of trees, I got in. I think, uh, I saw clothes, rags, in the snow, I touched a, uh, a figure, made with sticks. I don't remember what it looked like. I collapsed right there, felt like I was dying. Can we stop here?

INTERVIEWER: Is that it?

HEFFLEY: I don't- want to tell more. This is why I don't tell anyone, at one point they don't believe me but then they start doing weird things. Please leave my house.

INTERVIEWER: That is irrelevant. Any substantial information you have, you must tell us.

HEFFLEY: Please, I-

INTERVIEWER: This is a serious matter. If you do not cooperate, there could be serious repercussions for you. Or your family.

(Silence)

HEFFLEY: I- remember images, or I dreamed them, but I was more or less conscious. Uh, there were people, dressed in white, dancing..Yes, they were dancing… whistling this song…It wasn't cold anymore, it was daytime, I think it was summer, maybe, or spring… they wore crowns made with flowers, and necklaces…

HEFFLEY: …Remember, uh, the stick figure?

INTERVIEWER: Yes.

HEFFLEY: Well there was something like that, but bigger, it was much bigger. It was, like a statue, or an idol… all made with sticks and branches. Those people were hugging it, singing to it…I felt how they grabbed my arms, my legs, I was collapsed… They brought me close to it, they put me inside and then, pain, felt blood in my mouth…

HEFFLEY: What I saw inside, I don't remember, too diffuse, but I remember my surprise. It's not something you'd expect to see inside a statue, especially one made out of wood, y-you know?

INTERVIEWER: Are you sure you don't remember what you saw? Nothing comes to your mind?

HEFFLEY: [DATA EXPUNGED], many little ones.

INTERVIEWER: I see.

(Silence)

HEFFLEY: Please, I swear every tim-

INTERVIEWER: (Groans)

(Silence)

INTERVIEWER: Like this one?

HEFFLEY: Yes. Exactly. Please, can you leave now?

(Silence)

HEFFLEY: Wha-

HEFFLEY: What are you doi-

<End Log>

Following the interview, both Mr. Heffley and his family were amnesticized so that they would have no memory of his disappearance.

Agent █████ was recovered and quarantined for 2 days.

Update: Addendum 7430.4: Incident 7430-1 (1997)

Addendum 7430.5: Recovered materials

April 19, 1997: UPDATES CONCERNING SCP 7430


Since the events that occurred in April, we have reconsidered various aspects of the anomaly. For starters, SCP-7430's anomalous effect has sharpened. When we went after Caleb, there was no way to explain how an ordinary civilian could have evaded our drones, patrol agents, search vehicles, etc.

Based on certain contents of the boy's personal diary, we believe that he was guided and aided by SCP-7430-1 to some degree in achieving his goal, meaning that the anomaly has become a more latent danger.

Although so many years of successful containment served to reduce the speed of SCP-7430's anomalous effect over a fairly considerable timespan, which is, 4 days for the disappearance of an affected individual, since the breach the effect seems to have sharpened. In the last few days, we have registered multiple cases of wildlife disappearing spontaneously , including those that inhabit the forest as well as birds. We believe that if this effect continues with the same frequency, in 2 weeks a third of the total fauna in the area will be lost.

Our research team had already elucidated that while the anomaly was incomplete, and that incineration of the various of its instances slowed their ability to cross into our plane, each individual manifestation of SCP-7430-1 is proportionally more destructive, regardless of the catalyst used. Yes, maybe this time SCP-7430-1 chose a catalyst that would grant it something it hadn't had before, the ability to ¨fully¨ manifest and move voluntarily. But it doesn't change the fact that, hypothetically, it wouldn't take much more than an eye to wreak havoc on a population.

We had considered the idea of the Gashadokuro, from Japanese folklore, as a historical manifestation of SCP-7430-1, but further study revealed an interaction of the anomaly with the indigenous groups that originally inhabited the region that is today, Oregon. In the same way that happened with our third research post , we believe that this had an impact on said community developing esoteric and violent behaviors, many times with the extirpation and veneration of human anatomy as a central theme. The subsequent abandonment by these peoples of the area, that caused the drastic reduction of the capabilities of the anomaly, could explain certain qualities of SCP-7430-1: Similar to other beings of thaumaturgical nature, it seems to develop itself based on its perception and the offerings made to it. We should consider ourselves fortunate that it does not understand human physiology in its entirety beyond its destructive interpretations.

Regarding the people who came later, we know rather, very little. We have some general information, a cult of about 13 families. Including that of a mayor.

They used children, very young, from 6 to 11 years old. They would leave them in the forest, alone, and return to search for them after three days. In all cases, they would lose a single tooth. It was a kind of offering. A thaumaturgical ritual to appease. Only instead of sacrificing human hearts, infant teeth were used.

They would repeat this process once a year, from 1942, to 1961. Every time with a different kid. Then something happened in 1962. An 8 year old girl, █████ ██████, was the first one to appear mutilated. The rest were not stupid, and clearly ditressed, they left the area.

The solution is rather simple. Don't let more people jump into the grind, allowing the anomaly to manifest itself and expose itself to even more people. SCP-7430-1 should not be considered a god, a ghost, a nymph, a forest spirit, let alone a serial killer. SCP-7430 should be considered non-existent, and this should form an essential part of our containment procedures.

We believe that the current situation of SCP-7430 makes impossible any normal habitation in the town, as well as any type of containment, as long as there are people living in the area. We have evacuated the entire town of Lockwood, and considering the above, it is a good time to apply our proposal to update the containment methods as well as the description of the anomaly for a more efficient containment.


-██████ ██████, SCP-7430 research team supervisor.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
LOADING
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
LOADING
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License