SCP-7042

A Bounty of Verity from Amongst the Sands.

Once more, Paper and Pen become Sword.

This Little Book crafting the World's Ward.

rating: +62+x
Item#: SCP-7042
Level3
Containment Class:
safe
Secondary Class:
simpatico
Disruption Class:
keneq
Risk Class:
caution

Special Containment Procedures: SCP-7042 is kept in a secure storage locker in the archives of Site 84. Testing and Instances created by SCP-7042 are to be held within the on-site Wilderness Observation Chamber, with created instances being monitored for a period of 30 days. The Chambers are to be kept under observation by 2 security personnel armed with tranquilizers. After that period, nonthreatening anomalous instances are to be transferred to GOI-466 (Wilson's Wildlife Solutions), while nonanomalous entities are to be donated to local zoos alongside additional funding1.

Description: SCP-7042 consists of two constituent parts. SCP-7042-1 is a worn sketchbook with a heavily scarred leather-bound cover. SCP-7042-2 is a pencil, the body resembling birch bark in texture and pattern, which never grows dull no matter how often it is used. When SCP-7042-1 is opened to the first page, it displays a worn sketch of a fist within a heart wreathed in vines. All other pages will be blank outside of the faintest erasure marks.

If a name of an animal, whether it be the common parlance or scientific denomination, is entered into SCP-7042-1 using SCP-7042-2, the pencil will animate. Sliding from the hand of the subject, it will begin to sketch a drawing of the aforementioned animal. Within 30-seconds of the sketch being finished, a living version of that animal will appear within twenty feet of SCP-7042. The number of animals produced from one sketch is randomized, though numbers have yet to exceed six individual instances 142 individual instances. Notably, these animals might directly correlate to the name entered, or it could differ in various ways, as discovered in Testing. Genetic ancestors, cousins, and descendants have been produced by SCP-7042, as well as baseline species created with anomalous abilities. Many also show signs of increased fertility. This is further expounded upon in the Testing Logs.

SCP-7042 was recovered by MTF Beta-4 "Castaways" with additional aid from MTF Gamma-4 "Green Stags", after an attempted raid on Wilson's Wildlife Solutions by Serpent's Hand forces. Beta-4 tracked the fleeing cell members back to their hideout and immediately came under fire. Complicating matters was the intervention of SCP-7042-A1, which injured seven members of Beta-4 before being put down with high-grade tranquilizers.

HeartofGaea.png

Imagery found within the "Gaia's Fortune" Hideout.

Upon entering the compound's interior, Beta-4 discovered documents detailing the creation of "Gaia's Fortune," a mixture of Serpent's Hand members and former GoI-466 personnel. The cell’s leader willingly submitted himself into Foundation custody after Beta-4 found him in the middle of writing within SCP-7042.

I have noticed an evident change in the personnel at Site 84. Not a conversation goes by without SCP-7042 coming up at least once. I am uncertain if this is an underlying cognitohazerdous effect that the object exudes or just my colleagues' excitement over the possibilities that could come with further testing. News reached us recently from GoI-466 that both female Northern White Rhinos SCP-7042 created are pregnant with twins.

Many of my fellow researchers were conservationists in a former life, and I can not lie that even amongst the Foundation, bitterness over the current trajectory of the world is widely felt, at least here at Site 84. Even I must admit that the reality that the object has possibly quadrupled the number of extant specimens is a stroke of good fortune. However, I care very little for 'luck.' I wish to know if we could control precisely what SCP-7042 produces. As of yet, it has all been random, from number to ability. It can reach back and forward in time and bring specimens to our doorstep; the opportunities there also go without saying.

The object is clearly intelligent, with keen situational awareness, and if I can rely upon the reports of my colleagues and subordinates, a personality echoing that of a young child. Perhaps this period of dormancy is little more than a momentary rebellion or a tantrum. I have been told that PoI-8842 wishes to speak with me regarding the object. I suppose it is time I finally pay him a visit.

I refuse to commit to the giddy spirit that has overcome Site 84. SCP-7042 is not a harbinger of good fortune. It is just one more anomaly to add to the ever-growing pile, but this is not some Deathbringer or world-ender. It is simply an opportunity.

Dr. Armando Erende
Senior Researcher of Site-84.

Following his outburst, further examination of PoI-8842 revealed withdrawal symptoms in line with those found in gambling addiction. Regular Screenings for signs of cognitohazardous influences began on-site on the orders of the Site Director. Initially, all D-Class personnel and Researchers that had used SCP-7042 do not appear to be under the effects of a cognitohazard. SCP-7042 remained dormant for another month before the movement was captured on the Archive's security cameras.

Below is the Transcription of the Impromptu "Interview" between Dr. Erende and SCP-7042.

VIDEO LOG SCP-7042-1


DATE: 9/14/2█

NOTE: Video is taken from security footage following SCP-7042's reactivation. This is the first instance of SCP-7042 conversing with a member of Staff.


[BEGIN LOG-8:42 am]

SCP-7042-1 unfurls of its own accord. SCP-7042-2 rises within SCP-7042's containment unit and begins writing. The camera zooms in, catching the word "Hello?" sketched in sizable lettering. SCP-7042-2 stays suspended in the air, rotating slowly.

Security staff contacts Dr. Erende and affiliated staff studying SCP-7042.

Dr. Erende enters the Archives with 2 security personnel in tow. After a moment of silently observing the SCP, Dr. Erende speaks.

Dr. Erende: Open the container.

Security personnel open the storage locker and carefully pull SCP-7042 free, placing it on a nearby table.

Dr. Erende: Thank you.

Security personnel take positions on either side of the table as Dr. Erende turns and nods behind him. Dr. Waller enters the room, carrying a clipboard. The pair move to the table, looking down at SCP-7042.

Dr. Erende: Hello?

SCP-7042-1's pages flutter as SCP-7042-2 bolts downwards and begins writing.

SCP-7042: HI!

Dr. Erende: We were not aware that you were capable of communicating.

SCP-7042: SECRET. FINN. WARNED.

Dr. Erende: Warned of what?

SCP-7042: JAILERS. YOU?

Dr. Erende: No, we are the Foundation. You are safe here.

SCP-7042: SAFE?

Dr. Erende: Yes.

SCP-7042 stops writing for several minutes, SCP-7042-2 tapping on the pages.

SCP-7042: DONT BELIEVE. FINN? WHERE?

Dr. Erende: He is being kept safe as well. He can't be here, I am sorry.

SCP-7042: SORRY? SHOULD BE. SORRY.

SCP-7042 makes several aggressive scribbles across its pages.

SCP-7042: TRIED. MAKE. HURT. FRIEND.

Accompanying the last word, SCP-7042 sketches an octopus. SCP-7042-2 jabs at it several times as if emphasizing. Dr. Erende and Waller look around the room in expectation of a manifestation, but after several minutes nothing appears. Dr. Waller makes a note.

SCP-7042: SORRY?

Dr. Erende is silent, prompting Dr. Waller to speak.

Dr. Waller: We just wanted to see what you can do.

SCP-7042: DO? I CAN DO LOTS!

Dr. Waller: We've seen.

SCP-7042: YEAH? THEY SAFE? ANIMALS?

Dr. Waller: Quite safe, you've proven to be quite the little good luck charm.

Dr. Erende shoots her a dark look. She ignores him, stepping closer to SCP-7042.

SCP-7042: GOOD LUCK?

Dr. Waller: Yes, some of your creations are going to be parents.

Dr. Erende: Dr. Waller, that is enou-

He is cut off by the explosive movement of SCP-7042's pages as the pencil writes on repeat for thirty seconds.

SCP-7042: BABIES?! BABIES?!

Dr. Waller: Yes. That was a very good thing you did. They are very lucky.

SCP-7042: GOOD FIX. LUCKY DAY.

Dr. Erende places a hand on Dr. Waller's shoulders and draws her back from SCP-7042, superimposing himself.

Dr. Erende: There can be more "fixes" if you agree to work with us; no more danger will come to your creations as long as you do as we ask. Exactly what we ask.

SCP-7042: WHY?

Dr. Erende: You're only other opportunity is staying confined here.

SCP-7042 calms down, falling silent for 2 minutes. Dr. Waller frowns at Dr. Erende and goes to speak, but he halts her with a raised hand.

SCP-7042: BORING. OKAY.

Dr. Erende: Then let's get back to work.

SCP-7042: LUCKY DAY.


[END LOG-9:26]

In the following weeks, the Site Director signed off on the continued testing of SCP-7042 with the requirement that cognitohazard screenings occur after every session. These tests were performed solely by Dr. Erende in an attempt to forge a bond with SCP-7042 that would turn it towards the Foundation's aims. This testing series led to a number of instances being created that hemmed closely to what was asked for by Dr. Erende.

After Test 7042-A21, the produced instances were in line with instances produced during the first round of testing, though they often showed heightened aggression and abnormal defense mechanisms for their species until eventually leading to Incident 7042-3.

Incident 7042-3

Test 7042-A26 lead to the creation of four instances of Phascolarctos cinereus. Preliminary testing led Site Personnel to believe that the instances were nonanamolous. However, when a member of the staff entered SCP-7042-A26's enclosure after a week of observation, they were ambushed by said instances. Falling from the tree, the instances were shown to have grown a foot taller, had increased claw length, and oversized canines. Security Staff intervened, but the staff member was maimed, losing their right arm in the process, and two of the instances, had to be put down with lethal force after refusing to release the staff member. Dr. Erende was notified of the event, and the conversation between the Doctor and SCP-7042 is captured below.

Interviewed: SCP-7042

Interviewer: Dr. Erende.

Foreword: Dr. Erende confronts SCP-7042 about their duplicity, leading to a conversation that notes a noticeable change in Dr. Erende's behavior.

<Begin Log, 12:42>

Dr. Erende: Why?

SCP-7042: WHAT?

Dr. Erende: Why did you do that?

SCP-7042: WHAT? CONFUSED.

Dr. Erende: The Koalas.

SCP-7042: HA. HA. HA!

Dr. Erende: You think this is funny?

SCP-7042: FINN. TOLD. FAIR PLAY.

Dr. Erende: Fairplay for what?

SCP-7042: TRY. HURT FRIEND! NO SORRY!

SCP-7042-2 wags back in forth aggressively

Dr. Erende: The Octopus was not harmed. It's still here on the Site, being taken care of by staff. You made sure it would be fine. How is this fair play?

SCP-7042: YEP. GOOD SCARE! RIGHT?

Dr. Erende blinks in surprise

Dr. Erende: What…do you think happened SCP-7042?

SCP-7042-1's pages flutter as if SCP-7042 notices the shift in tone.

SCP-7042: KOALA. ANGRY. SCARE, RIGHT? ???

Dr. Erende: No.

The pages begin to move even more frantically.

SCP-7042: WHAT. HAPPENED? WHAT HAPPENED?! HAPPENED?!?

Dr. Erende: One of my colleagues was injured. Very badly. Two of the instances…had to be put down.

SCP-7042: NO! LIE! TRICK! NO!

Dr. Erende: I could have staff bring the bodies here.

SCP-7042-1 snaps close, the sound of a child sobbing is faintly heard on the recording, and Dr. Erende flinches as if struck. SCP-7042-2 taps listlessly at the glass, and sobbing continues for a period of ten minutes. SCP-7042-1 unfurls.

SCP-7042: SORRY! SORRY! SORRY! NOT KNOW.

Dr. Erende: You were trying to scare us. All the instances since the Octopus were an attempt to get back at…at me?

SCP-7042: YES! NO HURT. NEVER HURT. MISTAKE!

Dr. Erende: You want us to believe that you would never hurt anyone? That was just the tip of the iceberg.

SCP-7042: YES! LOVE ANIMALS. SAVE ANIMALS. CREATE TO SAVE. HUMANS ANIMALS. NEVER HURT. MISTAKE. PLEASE. LET FIX!

Dr. Erende: Fix this how, SCP-7042?

SCP-7042: MAKE. AS SAY. NO PLAY. JUST MAKE. FIX MISTAKES. TOGETHER. I, US. I SORRY!

Dr. Erende seems to flinch again as the crying returns.

Dr. Erende: You can be sorry, but that doesn't change what happened, and we can not trust what you say. You've already proven to be willingly devious.

SCP-7042: I. BE BETTER. PLEASE. NOT DONE. CHANCE. GIVE CHANCE!

Dr. Erende: You already played that card, and regardless that is out of my hands.

SCP-7042: NO! I GIVE CHANCE! PROVIDENCE.

Dr. Erende: You're bargaining.

SCP-7042: NO. HONEST. PLEASE. LUCKY DAY. REMEMBER?

Dr. Erende: You are not a good luck charm! You aren't some bastion of hope! You're just some trickster with the mentality of a child!

SCP-7042: I AM. I AM. I AM. HELP FIX ME. PROMISE. TO LISTEN.

Dr. Erende: I…I'm sorry. Why am I sorry?

Dr. Erende shakes his head and backs away from SCP-7042 before exiting the room, the security staff following.

SCP-7042: DONT GO. DONT GO! SORRY! PLEASE. I NEED. MORE TO DO. FOR HIM. FOR HER. FOR YOU. FOR YOU! FOR US!

<End Log, 13:26>

Closing Statement: Dr. Erende immediately submitted himself for a cognitohazard screening following the conversation. SCP-7042 was found to have latent cognitohazardous abilities. Initial testing was found to have been faulty. During periods of dormancy, the influences recede to a point where it appears the afflicted are still acting in their normal functioning states. Furthermore, the cognitohazard only affects individuals whose careers involve the care, breeding, and conservation of animals of any kind. SCP-7042 will shift their perceptions to consider it an object of providence and form a protective, pseudofamilial bond with the object the longer it remains in their possession. At the moment, it is not known if the SCP is aware of its influence or if it is a latent property of the object. If several individuals are infected, they will seek each other out, grouping together into a cult-like organization whose goal is to learn more about SCP-7042 and how to control her powers in the name of conservation, experimentation, and revitalization. The beginning of said occurrence was found within the staff of Site-84, using the pseudonym: Gaia's 42, under the purview of Dr. Waller. All afflicted staff were administered Class C Amnestics, though Dr. Waller is currently under close administrative observation after speaking to the on-site therapist about a sourceless feeling of loss. Site-84's Director has suspended all testing with SCP-7042. SCP-7042 has been sequestered in the Archives.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License