SCP-6944
rating: +34+x
Item#: 6944
Level3
Containment Class:
keter
Secondary Class:
none
Disruption Class:
keneq
Risk Class:
caution

Special Containment Procedures: All instances of SCP-6944 must be kept in a soundproof lockbox containing no written or printed language on any part of its interior surface. This lockbox should be kept in a standard storage locker requiring personnel to have Clearance Level 3 or higher to access. Transportation of SCP-6944 instances being used for testing is to be done in a secure soundproof transport case with no interior markings. Currently, there are 483 instances of SCP-6944 in containment.

Testing chambers 34-A and 57-C of Site-76 are to be quarantined until further notice. Any personnel that enter these chambers to examine SCP-6944-B instances are to wear standard encapsulated hazardous material suits. All "costs" given by SCP-6944-A are to be reviewed prior to acceptance to prevent further possible manifestations of SCP-6944-B. If the "cost" possesses a risk towards the subject's death, the test is to be aborted.

Foundation webcrawlers are to investigate any mentions of individuals finding working spirit talking boards. Any cases where the object in question is verbally speaking must be investigated in-person by Mobile Task Force Psi-8 ("The Silencers") for instances of SCP-6944.

Description: SCP-6944 is a series of identical teardrop-shaped planchettes1 primarily made of wood. Within the center of each SCP-6944 instance is an amber-colored glass lens that would typically be used for viewing individual letters. Material analysis of SCP-6944 found the wood to be composed of Cornus nuttallii2 and Rosa canina3, with the glass being made of solidified tree sap. All instances of SCP-6944 will instantaneously regenerate from any damage they incur, with the exception of immolation.

When all three legs of an instance of SCP-6944 come into contact with any surface containing printed or written language, it will adhere to the surface by unknown means. The object will remain in this fixed position unless it is intentionally removed by a human subject, with attempts to remove SCP-6944 instances by mechanical means proven ineffective. When in this state, an SCP-6944 instance should be considered primed and capable of becoming active.

When a subject verbally states a desire to speak with another individual while within audible range of a primed SCP-6944 instance, the lens of the instance will begin to vibrate, replicating a male voice. This voice, hereby referred to as SCP-6944-A, will state a location for any deceased individual, an increment of time per minute to "connect the call", and ask the subject if they accept. Upon acceptance, the lens of the SCP-6944 instance will emit a colored light, indicating its active state, and the voice of the deceased will be replicated by the lens. All sound within audible range of an active SCP-6944 instance will be heard by the deceased. SCP-6944 instances will remain in their active state until they are removed from their fixed position.

Once contact with the deceased has ended the subject who agreed to SCP-6944-A's offer will begin rapidly aging. Altered rate of aging appears to match the "cost" offered by SCP-6944-A and will last for a duration matching the amount of time that the SCP-6944 instance was active. If this event results in the subject's death, there is a high probability that the subject's corpse will transmute into an instance of SCP-6944-B.

SCP-6944-B is a large mushroom grown from subjects who expired due to the use of an SCP-6944 instance. Analysis of the fungal matter revealed the mushroom to be a hybridization of Pluteus salicinus4 and Isaria sinclairii5. The stalk of individual SCP-6944-B instances resemble the transmuted subject prior to using SCP-6944, with matching height, and a cap approximately one meter in diameter. SCP-6944-B instances may potentially release spores into the surrounding area they inhabit. When inhaled, these spores will result in vivid hallucinations of the transmuted subject attempting to talk to those exposed. Subjects exposed to SCP-6944-B spores report that the hallucinations are responsive and capable of conversation, often having information that would only be known to the transmuted subject. To date, one instance of SCP-6944-B has expired and all individuals suffering from hallucinations caused by this instance have reported a full recovery from spore exposure. Any attempts of exterminating any living SCP-6944-B instances have been unsuccessful, as all instances will regrow within 24 hours.

SCP-6944-A is a non-corporeal entity connected to every instance of SCP-6944 that refers to itself as "the operator". SCP-6944-A is sapient and capable of regular communication, if willing, through any primed SCP-6944 instance. If SCP-6944-A's claims are to be believed, it is capable of witnessing any event occurring near SCP-6944 instances and able to locate them. In events where SCP-6944 is damaged by fire, SCP-6944-A is capable of manipulating any smoke within a six meter range (See Incident 6944-1). Smoke manipulated by SCP-6944-A follows the same standard rules of interaction as with ectoplasmic entities6. An interview with SCP-6944-A was conducted in order to learn the origin and purpose of SCP-6944.

Incident 6944-1: During a patrol mission in ███████, ██, MTF ψ-8 confirmed an attempt to contact a deceased individual using an instance of SCP-6944. During retrieval of the item, one of the suspects in possession of the SCP-6944 instance attempted to destroy the object through fire.

After Incident 6944-1 the death of the two civilian suspects was released to the public under a cover story of carbon monoxide poisoning while trespassing in ███████ Central Terminal. The remains of the SCP-6944 instance were gathered from the scene, having approximately 28% of its mass reduced to ash; this damage has not regenerated as of this writing. Following Interview 6944-A/2, the matter of having O5-█ speak with SCP-6944-A was set to vote. Contact was approved in an 8-5 vote.

THE FOLLOWING IS CLASSIFIED TO PERSONNEL BELOW CLEARANCE LEVEL 5/6944

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License