SCP-6916

rating: +35+x

Special Containment Procedures:

Due to the resurgence of SCP-6916 as a result of cultural and political shifts and SCP-6916’s unpredictable selection process, proper containment would require the use of mass amnestic and oneirological treatment and international sociological engineering. So, procedures focus instead on preventing SCP-6916 subjects from accessing SCP-6916-A. To achieve this, Zohar counters1 have been set up at various points around the Irish, British and Northern French coast, to detect attempted access into SCP-6916-A.

Should SCP-6916 subjects attempt to access SCP-6916-A, Foundation agents are to recover them as soon as possible and subject them to oneirological and, if necessary, amnestic treatment. Should subjects successfully gain access to SCP-6916-A, they are considered unrecoverable and all witnesses and relations will receive amnestic treatment.

Due to further discoveries regarding SCP-6916 and related anomalies, these containment procedures are awaiting updates and transfer to the management of Project Caliburn.


Description:

SCP-6916 is a reoccurring, anomalous dream experience by individuals with Celtic ancestry or who have been raised within the Celtic culture. It is unknown how long subjects have to be exposed to Celtic culture for them to experience SCP-6916. A common psychological trait shared between subjects is the strong sense of hiraeth,2 admiration and pride they feel towards the Celtic nations, culture or history. The subject doesn't have to have lived or visited a Celtic nation to experience SCP-6916.

SCP-6916 has no recognisable pattern, as the number of SCP-6916 instances a subject can experience can range between once per lifetime or three per month. Despite this, SCP-6916 exhibits mild mnestic properties, with some of the images and events subjects experienced during SCP-6916 remaining with them throughout their lives. These memories have been resistant to all known forms of amnestic treatments. The following are the most common images and events experienced by subjects during SCP-6916:

  • Subject finds themselves walking along a beach during a thunderstorm. The beach's composition and size vary but the presents of the storm is consistent. In the background, the faint sound of bells can be heard.
  • Subject chase an unseen entity through a forest, with some of the trees appearing to be silver in colouration. After some time, the subject pauses to catch their breath. Whilst resting, the trees and plant life begin moving, surrounding the subject. In the tree tops, shadows of humanoid figures can be seen circling the subject, laughing.
  • Subject attends a feast alongside several individuals, some of which appear to be spectral and "ghost-like." All attendees, including the subject, are wearing an item of silver. At some point, the subject and the attendees become aware of an open door in the hall and begin to experience a growing sense of sorrow and bitterness. Through the door, an island can be seen.
  • Subject begins weeping in the middle of a battlefield during a thunderstorm. Surrounding them are several dead individuals, human and humanoid. As the subject compose themselves, they are approached by a bearded man wearing black fabric, furs and a crown composed of antlers and silver. The man embraces the subject before facing them, with water rising around the two of them. The man then whispers "Return and rise" as the sound of bells and wolves howling is heard. (Note: this event is experienced only by those who have been subjected to multiple instances of SCP-6916.)

Subjects who've repeatedly experienced SCP-6916 develop knowledge of random Insular Celtic3 words and phrases and most develop a strong desire to travel to Northwestern Europe, specifically the Celtic nations. Statistics suggest this desire only occurs within ~3% of subjects. This desire isn't hazardous and if not acted upon, these desires will subside with time as will the subject's subjection to SCP-6916.


Addendum 6916.1: History

SCP-6916 was first recorded and classified in early 1998 when a sudden increase in SCP-6916 claims was recorded from various therapy sessions and social interactions, including within the Foundation itself. Following this increase in claims, the Foundation also recorded a sudden increase in immigration and tourism in Ireland, Great Britain and France. These activities also increased again in mid-1999.

When investigated further, analysis was able to discover the increase in SCP-6916 activity correlated to political and cultural shifts that had occurred in Celtic nations4. To gain further information, the Foundation conducted several interviews with those subjected to SCP-6916 and continued to monitor them long after.

One subject, D-2302, was incredibly detailed regarding SCP-6916's imagery. When asked how he knew so much about SCP-6916, D-2302 revealed that they had experienced SCP-6916 throughout their life. Dr. Zachary Dafydd managed to confirm this by utilising oneiric hypnotherapy techniques. When questioned about their long-term history with SCP-6916, D-2302 grew increasingly hysterical and made several demands to return to Ireland, in order to "find it".

When several other subjects admitted to experiencing SCP-6916 before its surge, an investigation began to try and discover older accounts of SCP-6916. Focusing on areas where Celtic culture and ancestry were prevalent, the Foundation found just under 200 documented recordings of SCP-6916 in the past 130 years. One of the oldest recordings of SCP-6916 was found in the diaries of Brigadier Emyr Ab Ifan5, written in 1865. Below are extracts of his writings:

ifan.jpeg

Brigadier Ab Ifan and his party on Mynydd Epynt in 1865. Photograph discovered in the Juniper Archive in the HMFSCP archives in Site-44.

Records And Information Security Administration attempted to uncover further documentation from the HMFSCP archives regarding Brigadier Ab Ifan's expedition and experience with SCP-6916. However, very little documentation could be found, although this was expected as the absorption of the HMFSCP into the Foundation and the Sixth Occult War had resulted in a great loss of information.

According to a report written by then director of Site-Green, General Oliver Roberts, Brigadier Ab Ifan was believed to have been a casualty of the war. The location of his party and himself are unknown. Additionally, the Foundation discovered during the Sixth Occult War, the immigration and repatriation rate in the United Kingdom, France and Ireland increased slightly. It is yet to be confirmed that this increase was a direct result of SCP-6916.


Addendum 6916.2: PoI Behaviour

On 03/03/2000, Nadiya Hassan was reported missing to the Glaswegian Police by the Home Office after numerous failed attempts by Immigration Enforcement Officers to locate her and have her and her family deported. The Foundation was alerted and Field Agents took over the investigation, taking Nadiya's family into their care and designating Nadiya as PoI-6988. According to PoI-6988's father, during their time avoiding the police, PoI-6988 had experienced trouble sleeping and had been complaining about a "reoccurring dream".

On 12/03/2000, several witnesses in Lamlash, Scotland claimed they saw a young woman matching PoI-9688's description "walk into the Sea". Diving teams failed to discover any trace of PoI-6988, however, thaumaturgical analysis did detect slight shifts in Akiva radiation around the area. When investigating PoI-6988 movements before her appearance at Lamlash, a witness came forward claiming she'd given a woman of similar description a lift to Dunchraigaig Cairn in Kilmartin, Lochgilphead.

During and following their investigation of PoI-6988's movements, 19 other individuals subjected to SCP-6916 also were reported missing, with many of them disappearing after visiting a historical site. One subject, PoI-7012 ("Jago Marsh"), was caught on a security camera at Land's End. During the footage, PoI-7012's fiancée and mother attempted to rescue PoI-7012 from the sea edge, only for PoI-7012 to refuse their offer and apologies. PoI-7012 then walked across the surface of the sea as the waves around him grew in size and power, eventually engulfing him.

On 28/03/2000, reports came of an individual, later identified as Ethan Rogers and designated PoI-7028, attempting to access SCP-49116. When interviewed, PoI-7028 that they were following a dream they had been experiencing over the past months and they had been drawn to SCP-4911. To better understand the connection between SCP-6916's subject's interest in historical locations and their later disappearances, Dr. Dafydd proposed allowing PoI-7028 access to SCP-4911 under Foundation analysis. This request was approved by Site Command.

When subjected to SCP-4911 mnestic properties, the Akiva radiation levels within PoI-7028 increased and the plinth atop SCP-4911 was momentarily lit with a white flame. Following this, PoI-7028 requested to be taken to the coast, to which the Foundation took him to Dams Bay, The Vale of Glamorgan. Upon arriving, the Akiva radiation levels in the surrounding area increased and PoI-7028 claimed they could see a causeway made of stone leading to an island in the distance, matching that he'd seen in his dream. Upon seeing the island, PoI-7028 attempted to escape Foundation custody only to be caught, tranquilised and subjected to amnestic and oneirological treatment.


Addendum 6916.3: Exploration of SCP-6916-A

Through joint analysis by the Department of Thaumaturgy, Department of Oneirology Studies, and Department of Extradimensional Studies, the Foundation theorised that the experience of both SCP-6916 and interaction with historical Celtic sites acted as a Newman-Hyatt Key7. When enacted at the coast of the British Isles, the Key allows access to an extradimensional space, of unknown size, designated as SCP-6916-A. According to the enactors, within SCP-6916-A is an island, accessible by a stone causeway.

Despite the Foundation's best efforts, the number of SCP-6916 subjects continued to climb, with a further 5 subjects entering SCP-6916-A. With the numbers increasing, on 06/04/2000, Director Durrani ordered a joint task force exploration into SCP-6916-A.

Captain Willson and his group were rediscovered at Cullykhan Beach, Pennan, Scotland, 9 hours after entering SCP-6916-A. All were drenched in seawater and experiencing moderate hypothermia. Wilson, Urban and Caradog were found unconscious and recovered a few hours later after receiving medical attention. Dafydd, however, was discovered undergoing prolonged REM sleep and could not be awakened until 3 days following his recovery.

Samples taken of the nine corpses confirmed that two of them were Tuatha and many of them had undergone thaumaturgical enhancements, including gigantification, therianthropy and astral traversal. Testing revealed that the DNA sequence found on the ring belonged to Idris Berach, an artilleryman and courier for HMFSCP. Wilson and Caradog confirmed this. Supplies recovered from the ship by Urban confirmed that the vassal was the Arausio, a clipper used by HMFSCP. No bodies were discovered on the ship.

The crowned man witnessed by the team was confirmed to be the same man they'd witnessed during SCP-6916. Wilson also revealed that the man and the island were thaumaturgically linked somehow, implying the meteorological and temporal alterations experience by the team were their doing. As a result, they were classified as SCP-6916-B and the spectral entities inhabiting SCP-6916-A were classified as SCP-6916-C.

Analysis of the metallic branch by the Department of Chemistry and the Botany Division confirmed that the branch's DNA sequence was identical to that of Alnus glutinosa. They also discovered that the branch's xylem tissue was heavy with iron and silver particles. Despite being malleable upon removal, the branch's flexibility and durability shifted dramatically during its study, with its properties now replicating that of steel. Analysis of the branch is still ongoing.


Addendum 6916.4: Interview with SCP-6916-B

3 days following his expedition into SCP-6916-A, Dr. Dafydd awoke from his REM sleep state and immediately requested the use of an oneirosensory visualization recording device12, claiming he had communicated with SCP-6916-B prior to his expulsion from SCP-6916-A and vital information regarding the history and events occurring with SCP-6916-A. Below is a transcript of the recordings.


Addendum 6916.5: Redesignation and Revised Containment

With the information provided by Dr. Dafydd, the Foundation reassessed their containment procedures for SCP-6916. The island within SCP-6916-A has been given a Nexus designation due to its historical significance and potential threat towards the anomalous community.

Since enacting more focused and stringent containment procedures, individuals lost to SCP-6916-A have decreased, with only 57 SCP-6916 subjects managing to evade Foundation protocol. However, with the sudden increase in nationalism in the Celtic regions, subjection to SCP-6916 is predicted to increase within the next year.


Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License