SCP-6884

Item#: 6884
Level3
Containment Class:
euclid
Secondary Class:
none
Disruption Class:
vlam
Risk Class:
caution

Beast

Photograph depicting an SCP-6884 instance.


Special Containment Procedures: Reports of abnormally large black felines, canids or other similar fauna roaming the British Isles are to be investigated by Foundation agents integrated into local law enforcement. Following confirmation of SCP-6884-related origin, Mobile Task Force Gamma-4 (“Green Stags”) are to be dispatched in an attempt to terminate or capture the wild instance for long term housing and study at Site-44’s Cryptozoological Research Wing.

In the event that the sighted instance is unable to be located, seismic imaging should be utilised to locate any unnaturally occurring cave systems in the region. Upon discovery, Mobile Task Force Zeta-9 (“Mole Rats”) are to enter these caverns in order to pursue the fleeing SCP-6884 instance or uncover an SCP-6884 brood.

BigCatsUK

An amateur flier referencing SCP-6884.

Description: SCP-6884 is an unidentified subterranean species of mammal bearing resemblance to members of the genus Panthera1 while possessing some characteristics of the Caniformia2 suborder.

The species’ primary anomalous quality is the ability to forcibly create caverns and fissures in rock, often resulting in lengthy passageways and cave systems with which to reside within and raise young. This capability appears to necessitate a significant amount of energy from SCP-6884 and hence is used sparingly, usually as a flight response. It is believed that SCP-6884 instances spend around half of their life within caves, emerging only to hunt during nocturnal hours; a lifestyle likely responsible for their primarily black colouration. Once on the surface, instances are likely to consume sheep or infant cattle alongside collecting resources to construct elaborate dens. Predation upon human subjects remains incredibly rare, with only 3 reported attacks since 1990.

SCP-6884’s population size is undetermined, though is believed to comprise of at least 150 individual members spread across Britain. While the species remains at large, their low frequency, generally elusive nature and the ease of public containment efforts has resulted in a Euclid classification level as opposed to other alternatives.3

History & Folkloric Significance:
Encounters with large cats in Britain date back to around 1,000BC, whereby Celtic warriors and farmers shared tales of supposed battles with SCP-6884 broods that would steal young rams from their flocks. Over time, Celtic inhabitation of the British Isles saw a purging of the species’ numbers due to their threat posed to livestock and may be the reason for development of their reclusive nature.

In the modern era, the majority of surviving instances are situated in the South of England, with 676 reported sightings in the county of Devon between 2004 and 2005. SCP-6884 is most commonly known for its heavy presence in Bodmin Moor, Dartmoor, Exmoor and Mossmoor respectively; this distribution has been attributed to the aforementioned areas’ limestone-based rock composition which is softer and hence easier to manipulate than typical stone while maintaining the integrity to support lengthy cave systems. Public belief of SCP-6884 is widespread in their inhabited areas, though due to the species’ outwardly non-anomalous nature and tendency to flee once sighted, this has not been deemed a threat to secrecy or the Veil at large.

Addendum 6884.1: Investigation
Although the Foundation suspected the presence of an anomalous big cat species in Britain since the 1970s due to their heavy presence in local culture, SCP-6884’s existence was only proved in late 2011 in an investigation prompted by the Cryptozoology Division. Following approval, a pair of Site-44 agents were dispatched to assess the validity of claims surrounding SCP-6884. The results of the investigation can be found in the following:

Addendum 6884.2: Containment Incident
Upon arrival at Site-44, the captured instance was placed within an observation chamber surrounding an aerated water-based suspension mechanism in addition to a floatation device while a more suitable method could be devised. The subsequent log is a recording of the moments prior to the SCP-6884-related incident.

Upon inspection of the containment cell, the following text was etched into the farthest wall:

NOT FOLLOW

The escaped entity was subsequently neutralised by on-Site security after living in the water system for three days — it and its undiscovered newly developing fetus can now be found in Cryogenic Storage Locker 089. Keter reclassification is pending.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License