SCP-6877

Item#: 6877
Level2
Containment Class:
euclid
Secondary Class:
none
Disruption Class:
vlam
Risk Class:
caution

VerdantHeights

SCP-6877

Special Containment Procedures: SCP-6877 is to be monitored via remote surveillance and regular patrol by Mobile Task Force Gamma-4 (“Green Stags”). Site-44 is to oversee research, investigation and general containment of SCP-6877, while stationed guards should prevent any unauthorised attempts to scale the anomaly. No personnel under Level 4 clearance are permitted to climb SCP-6877 for any reason outside of controlled testing. Subjects beyond 1900m are advised to avoid the source of any electronic beeping.

Description: SCP-6877 is a transmitting station located in Mendip Hills, Somerset, England. SCP-6877’s primary mast demonstrates a spatial anomaly triggered by certain weather conditions. Despite the non-anomalous mast being around 300m in height, upon the structure's tip becoming obscured by heavy cloud or fog, the mast extends upwards for an indeterminate length. It is noted that this change is observable only from the perspective of persons climbing SCP-6877, instead remaining visually normal to externally viewing individuals.

This non-euclidean area is referred to as SCP-6877-1. It is believed that SCP-6877-1 exists as either a self-contained pocket dimension or extradimensional space resting between multiple separate realities. The space resembles a continuation of SCP-6877 for a seemingly infinite distance upwards, the majority being encased in cloud cover, creating poor visibility conditions. Thus far, testing has proven indecisive on the existence of SCP-6877’s summit (See Test 6877 #004).

Attempts to descend the anomaly are rarely successful, often resulting in subjects encountering as of yet unidentified hostile organisms. For more information, see Addendum 6877.1.

Discovery: SCP-6877 was officially recognised on 02/07/2009 upon the disappearance of an electrical technician following his ascent of the Mendip Transmission Station primary mast that morning. Operating due to scheduled maintenance, the individual was expected to return after approximately one hour, but due to humid conditions, the mast was obscured by cloud cover. Around an hour and a half later, the technician’s work uniform and equipment fell from the cloud cover with no indication of the victim’s location or status. Foundation agents were dispatched once Station staff had contacted local law enforcement and secured the area. To date, the victim’s whereabouts remain undetermined, though the investigation saw Foundation seizing of the property and restriction from public access. Current containment protocols were instigated shortly after.

Addendum 6877.1: Testing

Test 6877 #001: 03/07/2009

Events and Observations: D-3205 was equipped with radio transmitting equipment, video equipment and safety wire, instructed to attempt to climb SCP-6877. A long range LiDAR feedback system was used to assert the subject’s progression of the mast’s primary ladder. Following safety checks, Site-44 Command requests D-3205 to begin ascent.

D-3205 ascends for 12 minutes before reaching cloud cover and disappearing out of site, assumed to have entered SCP-6877-1. Site Command questions D-3205 regarding any noticeable changes, of which there are none.

Following 40 minutes of climbing, audio and video feed picks up an object rapidly falling past D-3205. The subject looks downwards, towards the distance the object was travelling in, though it has now been obscured by heavy fog. As D-3205 stares upwards at the stimulus’ source, a vague silhouette and light is visible further up SCP-6877, fading into the cloud upon visual contact being made. Site-44 Command questions the subject regarding the nature of the falling object. She remarks that “I think it was a person… who was only wearing a hard hat?”. At no point does any object impact the ground in local reality. The subject continues, reaching a final height of around 850m before descending to recuperate.


Test 6877 #002: 03/07/2009

Events and Observations: D-3205 was equipped with radio transmitting equipment, video equipment and safety wire, instructed to attempt to climb SCP-6877. D-3205 is instructed to again ascend the anomaly with the intent of surpassing the former threshold.

The subject reaches the former height of 850m with no complications. Research teams note that subjects climbing SCP-6877 do not appear to feel the effects of altitude sickness nor oxygen deprivation, if either are a factor in SCP-6877-1 (See Test #003). After reaching the point of the former event and silhouette sighting, D-3205 discovers a discarded radar dish receiver, seeming to have been torn from its mount in a violent manner. The subject continues upwards for 90 minutes.

At an altitude of 1400m, the subject complains of a consistent beeping sound. Following a brief equipment check, D-3205 concludes that it is originating from overhead, supposedly slightly muffled and at a distance. Audio feed begins to pick up the aforementioned sound shortly after continuing ascent. Following further investigation, D-3205 can hear subtle coughing and wheezing originating alongside the electronic beeping. The subject continues to a height of 1900m before the sound ceases. A metallic clanging is heard, audibly becoming rapidly closer. D-3205 frantically looks around in search of the source when camera, audio and radio feed abruptly ceases.


Test 6877 #003: 05/07/2009

Events and Observations: D-8986 is outfitted with similar equipment to former tests in addition to a barometer1 and binary gas analyser2 in order to carry out an atmospheric survey within SCP-6877-1. D-8986 is told to ascend SCP-6877 for as long as physically possible and report any significant events or findings.

D-8986 reaches an altitude of 1500m before reporting a similar quiet beeping sensation as described by D-3205, originating from further above their current position. The subject is requested to remain stationary. After two minutes the sound begins to become distant and the subject continues.

At 1800m, Site Command requests D-8986 to carry out gaseous testing as previously trained. D-8986 unloads the light instruments and proceeds. Atmospheric gaseous composition and pressure within SCP-6877-1 is shown to be composed of similar contents to the lower troposphere — meaning that the atmospheric conditions remain constant and mirror that of the anomaly’s base region. How this is possible remains unknown, though is likely related to SCP-6877-1’s suspected non-euclidean nature. Following the recorded observations, D-8986 claims to see a bright orange object flapping in the wind further up SCP-6877. Site-44 Command prompts investigation. The subject climbs a further 100m before discovering the item to be a standard issue Class-D jumpsuit tied to the ladder; inspection of the chest area confirming it to belong to D-3205. The clothing shows no signs of damage or tearing.

A distant radar pinging is picked up by audio transmitting equipment, though D-8986 shows no acknowledgement of the stimulus. Research teams inquire upon the noise, to which the subject claims it is inaudible. Gazing upwards, D-8986 can observe a large blurry shadow. While their camera is pointed towards the unidentified stimulus, the radar ping is noted to increase in sound intensity and clarity. As D-8986 is permitted to decline SCP-6877, a bright floodlight originates from the stimulus and the pinging ceases. A metallic clanging grows in intensity as the light rapidly descends towards the subject and all contact with D-8986 is lost. The D-Class’ uniform and equipment plummet towards the ground in local reality.


Test 6877 #004: 11/07/2009

Events and Observations: D-9043 is equipped with video and audio transmitting equipment, rope, 8 days worth of rations and a small firearm. D-9043 is a former professional rock climber and has been instructed to ascend SCP-6877 with the intention of reaching its summit. The subject has been advised to avoid any deviations from typical environmental sound activity and lighting.

The subject reaches cloud cover at around 250m and enters SCP-6877-1. There are noticeably higher winds and precipitation compared to former tests that are not consistent with external conditions or weather associated with low altitudes. D-9043’s camera feed becomes mostly obscured by fog for around 2 hours. Command points out the issue to D-9043 who promptly begins to clean the lens. For around 3 seconds, the camera observes a sudden disappearance of all cloud cover — during this time, the English Emergency Alert System alarm can be heard. The subject does not respond to the brief alteration and upon questioning claims that there was no noticeable change.

Upon nightfall, the subject ties their self to the ladder via the belt and rests.

D-9043 passes the 1900m boundary with no complications (an outlier among former tests) and proceeds with ease. Around 2800m, the subject discovers a large dent in SCP-6877 alongside areas of torn metal, wiring and antennae. This leads to the revelation that at extreme heights, despite remaining unpowered in local reality, SCP-6877 has active electricity flow; this is presumed to power the various satellite broadcasting dishes and antenna receivers. The subject suggests that he should attempt to tune into one of the dishes’ wavelengths to assess the nature of their signal. Command approves this request and D-9043 records the results. Upon reconnecting to the research teams’ frequency, the following recording can be heard:

The meaning behind this broadcast is unknown. D-9043 repeats the test with other dishes which each broadcast entirely separate, unrelated messages. Each has no correlation with any known radio stations in Somerset or otherwise globally. The subject continues to climb upon remote download of the recording.

At approximately 3400m, the subject complains of a repetitive beeping sound. Suspecting the sudden appearance of the previously encountered hostile entity, research teams implore the subject to continue ascent at a greatly increased pace. This does little to cease the sound’s presence or reveal its direction of origin, which is indeterminable due to the fog layer’s ability to carry sound. D-9043 briefly ceases to consume a nutrient bar but continues swiftly.

The following 48 hours are uneventful, with the subject making regular stops to rest or consume rations. By the conclusion of the third day, D-9043 had ascended to a total height of 9km above sea level with little interference. Site-44 Command runs routine checkups on D-9043 throughout and at around the point of 10.9km, an alteration in their perception is recorded — the subject describes hearing distant roadside ambience as if they were within proximity of SCP-6877’s base. They report a sensation that they are nearing the ground as they begin climbing at a significantly accelerated pace, seemingly with excitement. Command reminds D-9043 that they are nearing 11km above sea level and are likely falling subject to auditory hallucinations and increasing cognitive suggestibility — the subject ignores these reminders and continues upwards.

Following a total of four days and eight hours scaling SCP-6877’s Westbound side, the D-Class exits the layer of cloud perpetually encapsulating SCP-6877-1, continuing infinitely in all directions below them. D-9043 glances upwards, revealing the anomaly’s peak point to be within viewing distance. Astounded, Site Command congratulates D-9043’s effort and dedication, encouraging them to continue at an accelerated pace.

VerdantPeak

SCP-6877’s tip as seen from SCP-6877-1.

D-9043 reaches the anomaly’s summit, revealing SCP-6877’s maximum altitude to reach a height of 19km above sea level. Nearing the summit, the subject discovers a speaker-like protrusion that seems to be the source of extremely loud ambient traffic recordings. Upon inspection, it swiftly retracts downwards below the cloud cover and quiet beeping is audible, followed by the sound of radar and a brief silence. The entire structure begins to rattle, seemingly due to rapid movement further downwards. A large semi-mechanical entity breaks the cloud cover, ascending the mast at high speeds. The entity is constructed primarily of mechanical components, wiring, antennae and utility dishes, possessing a large spotlight on its ‘head’ — further viewing reveals it to have numerous clothing items tied to itself. It rapidly approaches D-9043.

The subject clings to a large antenna at SCP-6877’s point of termination and gazes downwards at the sight of the approaching entity. Approximately 2 seconds before contact, an extremely large tentacle reaches for the entity and grasps it by the torso, dragging it down beneath the clouds. Following the distant sounds of a skirmish, a white light is seen to disappear further down SCP-6877.

D-9043’s camera feed shows the structure to be becoming increasingly blurred. Initially believing the lens to be accumulating fog, Command asks the subject to wipe off any obscurity when it is noted that the local reality’s weather has begun to clear, meaning that SCP-6877’s non-anomalous tip was slightly visible from the ground. D-9043 begins to lose their grip as their view and presence within SCP-6877-1 continues to fade. They enter free fall in the lower stratosphere, 19km above Earth’s surface.

Note: Following the concluding test, the only item recovered was a single charred Class-D Jumpsuit and climbing equipment. Additionally, prior to D-9043's exit from SCP-6877-1, the following text was observed to be printed on the anomaly's upper-most point.

The azure peak spirals upwards,
Its branches long and thin.

It writhes against its verdant roots,
The lesser of its kin.

Further testing is currently suspended.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License