SCP-6851
rating: +36+x
Item#: 6851
Level2
Containment Class:
euclid
Secondary Class:
none
Disruption Class:
vlam
Risk Class:
critical

Special Containment Procedures: The Foundation has purchased the shopping center around SCP-6851, now known as Site-6851. All public roads leading to or near Site-6851 have been redirected.

The interiors and exteriors of all supermarkets of the Walmart chain are to be monitored via remote cameras. In the event that SCP-6851 breaches containment, any Walmart location where the SCP-6851-1 instances reappear is to be designated the new location of SCP-6851, recontainment is to begin immediately, and any records of the store's existence are to be scrubbed from Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. records.

In the event that an SCP-6851-1 instance successfully exits the store, they are to receive psychiatric testing to determine if they are still under the influence of SCP-6851. If not, they will be detained and analyzed to determine if a cure is possible, and then amnesticized and released under a cover story depending on the length of which they were affected by SCP-6851.

Description: SCP-6851 is the anomalous interior of a Walmart supermarket. SCP-6851 has no significant visual distinctions from a typical Walmart store. It was discovered by the Foundation on 12/6/2012, following a series of worldwide disappearances that had been occurring for several weeks prior. The disappearances were connected in that they all occurred in countries that had Walmart supermarkets, especially the United States and Mexico. Most of the disappearing persons were of low income and multiple had records of shoplifting and similar crimes before their disappearances.

SCP-6851 was discovered when Field Agent Terry Baker, conducting a routine patrol in ██████, Tennessee, discovered that the town's local Walmart was staffed by many of the victims of the disappearances. Baker reported his observation remotely and communicated he was going to investigate further, after which point no further communications were made. On 13/6/2012, Agent Baker was discovered working within this store in a staff uniform, and expressed a strong, uncharacteristic desire to remain working at the store, even after the threat of termination, and also showed very little memory of his life prior to his investigation. After this event, SCP-6851 was swiftly contained, a deeper investigation into the missing persons began, and an exploration of the location was made the following morning, led by the outpost's appointed director, Senior Researcher Sandra Blackert.

Addendum.6851.1: Initial Exploration Log

Exploration Video Log Transcript

Date: 14/6/2012

Investigator: D-6851.1

Location: SCP-6851

Exploration Leads: Senior Researcher Sandra Blackert, Junior Researcher Kyle Rogers (both remote)


[BEGIN LOG]

Via a head mounted camera, D-6851.1 is seen entering SCP-6851 through the front door. Dr. Blackert and Dr. Rogers are stationed in a van outside, speaking to him remotely.

Blackert: Alright, D-6851.1. Please sweep through every aisle at a slow pace, I'll tell you to stop if something catches my eye. Remember, you're just the camera man, I don't need you digging through papers or asking your own questions.

D-6851.1: That's it? Can't you use a drone or something?

Blackert: Jesus, that audio is terrible. Well, D-6851.1, the staff inside won't talk to drones, they talk to customers. Our drone was also destroyed when we tried poking around the back. Do you want your extra pudding or not?

Rogers: Shouldn't we not be making casual conversation with the D-Class, ma'am?

Blackert: You can only stay clinical for so long before it drives you insane, and today's going to be a long day.

D-6851.1 proceeds past the checkouts. Three of the checkout lines are staffed. The nearest cashier, later identified as POI-6851-14 turns towards D-6851.1 and gives him a vacant smile.

Blackert: Stay there. Keep looking at their faces. Kyle, look through the missing person profiles, see if those three match up with any of our Walmart cases.

D-6851.1 remains in place for nearly one minute, occasionally glancing around in various directions.

Rogers: Yep, we have POI-6851-14, 7, and 4.

Blackert: Excellent. D-6851.1, please approach one of the cashiers, any one will do.

D-6851.1 approaches POI-6851-14

D: This good?

Blackert: Yes, right there, that's good.

Blackert: (through speaker equipped on D-6851.1) Sue Page, can you hear me?

POI-6851-14: Hi, welcome to Walmart. How can I help you?

Blackert: (speaker) My name is Dr. Sandra Blackert, I'm currently in a van parked outside. Can you tell me why you're here?

POI: I'm here to make sure your customer experience is as smooth as-

Blackert: (speaker) No, why are you working in a Walmart in Tennessee? Your records say you were unemployed, didn't own a car, and lived in Dallas, Texas.

POI: Well, I got hired here, of course.

Blackert: (speaker) And how did you get hired here?

POI: We aren't looking for applications at this time.

Rogers: That's unhelpful.

Blackert: Initial investigations usually only ever raise a smattering of cryptic half-answers. You get used to it. D-6851.1, we're done with the cashiers. Please sweep through the aisles now.

D-6851.1 proceeds through every aisle one by one, starting on the far right. Seven other staff members are encountered, including six victims of the prior disappearances, and Agent Terry Baker, who behaves similarly to all other staff members. No attempts at communication yield any additional information.

As D-6851.1 exits an aisle towards the center, he turns his head towards a shelf at the back of the store stocked completely with kitchen knives and surrounded by items completely unrelated to cookware. D-6851.1 slips a knife into his back pocket and proceeds to the next aisle.

Dr. Rogers mutes the microphone to D-6851.1

Rogers: You saw that too, right?

Blackert: Shoplifting, are we? And he's stealing a weapon. How cute, he thinks he has a valid escape plan in his little head. Let's let this play out, I have a theory about how 6851 "hires" people. If I'm wrong and it looks like he's about to make it outside and attack somebody, well, that's what this termination button is for. Not to mention the armed security outside.

Dr. Blackert unmutes the microphone while D-6851.1 continues through the aisles as normal.

D-6851.1 encounters 12 additional staff members, each behaving similarly to the ones prior, until he finishes moving through every aisle.

Blackert: That's good. Please head outside now.

D-6851.1 proceeds hastily to the exit. As soon as his entire body exits the front doors, the camera feed cuts.

[END LOG]

As the video feed ended, D-6851.1 disappeared from sight, leaving behind only his camera and audio equipment. D-6851.1 was found minutes later within SCP-6851, wearing a Walmart staff outfit and behaving similarly to the other victims. When D-6851.1 was subsequently terminated, all of the victims within SCP-6851 stopped in place and screamed as if in pain for several seconds. Once D-6851.1's brain activity completely ceased, they resumed normal behavior.

Addendum.6851.2: SCP-6851-1

All victims within SCP-6851 have been given the designation SCP-6851-1. Further experimentation has revealed that SCP-6851-1 instances are compelled to spend their time tirelessly working as staff within SCP-6851, and that they retain very little aspects of their previous personalities and motivations. No instance expresses a willingness to leave. Whenever attempts are made to force an instance of SCP-6851-1 to exit SCP-6851, it begins to scream and writhe as if in pain once its body exits the exterior door, pain that is shared between all other SCP-6851-1 instances. Further attempts at removal of instances from SCP-6851 have been put on hold due to ethical concerns.

Events where a person becomes an SCP-6851-1 instance are referred to as Hirings. There are currently four known actions that will cause a person to be Hired:

  1. Removing store property from SCP-6851 without leaving behind an amount of cash equal to or greater than the price of the item(s) removed.
  2. Attempting to open a door labeled "staff only."
  3. Damaging store property and then exiting SCP-6851 without making significant attempts to repair or pay for the damage.
  4. Remaining within/attempting to enter SCP-6851 after it closes at 10:00 PM.

A person will only be Hired if they commit one of these actions willingly and intentionally. Animals and remote controlled devices cannot be Hired, however they will be teleported outside of SCP-6851, and remote controlled devices will be left in an irreparable state.

It should be noted that SCP-6851 seems to be able to anticipate what items upcoming visitors might desire, a theory supported by the number of out of place stocked items within SCP-6851 that on-site staff reported a current need or strong desire to purchase. Desired items include a speaker set and firearm ammunition. These items and the desire they cause are non anomalous.

There are currently 27 SCP-6851-1 instances, including 21 missing persons, Agent Terry Baker, and 5 D-Class personnel (Hired during various experiments).

Special Containment Procedures (Update): Under no circumstances are any personnel permitted commit the following actions without explicit permission from Senior Researcher Sandra Blackert:

  1. Steal an item from SCP-6851
  2. Attempt to enter a staff only room
  3. Remain within/attempt to enter SCP-6851 between the hours of 10:00 PM and 6:00 AM
  4. Damage any store property

If any person commits one of these actions and spontaneously disappears as a result, they are to be considered lost and designated as an SCP-6851-1 instance, and their families are to be told that the lost person has died in some manner that makes the recovery of their body impossible.

Addendum.6851.3: Flash Sale Event

On 15/6/12, when SCP-6851 opened at 6:00 AM, multiple signs had been set up throughout the interior announcing a "flash sale." On 15 minute intervals, SCP-6851's PA system announced the following: "Due to low recent sales, we are now throwing a flash sale. Buy what you can before we move locations tomorrow."1 Nearly all products within SCP-6851 were marked for discounts 20-70% off original sale price, and SCP-6851-1 instances were markedly more active in encouraging visiting site personnel to purchase products.

Dr. Sandra Blackert's Personal Video Log 1

15/6/12


[BEGIN LOG]

Camera is stationary on a tripod mounted within Site-6851's research center. Dr. Rogers is reclining in his seat, and Dr. Blackert steps away from the camera.

Rogers: Why do you have to record this?

Blackert: I'm supposed to write a performance evaluation for you even though you're just shadowing me. This just makes it easier. Plus, I like video taping my thoughts before I have to write them down in an article.

Dr. Blackert seats herself.

Blackert: Now, could you summarize for the camera what's going on right now?

Rogers: Well, the Walmart is throwing a sale, we didn't get to see the sale signs pop up because it teleported our cameras outside when it closed, its automated message is saying it isn't getting enough money, and that message is also saying it's going to, uh, escape. We know it can escape because it's been kidnapping people all over the world, and we know it teleports because it's fast as hell and because there aren't any reports of Walmarts just getting up and walking away. We also know from looking at security that the Walmarts themselves don't physically change, and that the only way to visually tell where 6851 goes is to survey every Walmart in the world and see which one suddenly has the 6851-1 instances.

Blackert: Right on the head, Rogers. We've hit the stage of initial containment and investigation where the SCP realizes that it is contained and decides it would rather not be. The stage that determines whether the SCP will be marked as Euclid or Keter. The containment specialists have no clue how to suppress this thing's transportation, which means it's up to us to figure out how to make it stay! All we have to work on are whims and theories!

Rogers: Why do you sound so happy?

Blackert: What are your whims, Kyle? What do you think is the solution?

Dr. Rogers goes silent and watches the camera feed to think.

Rogers: It said it isn't getting enough income, so do we start paying it?

When Dr. Rogers turns around to face Dr. Blackert, she is holding $10,000 in cash in her hand.

Rogers: What the fuck.

Blackert: It was not easy getting permission to bring this much money here to throw away on a whim, let me tell you.

Rogers: Why do you have so much..?

Blackert: A typical supermarket of this size rakes in a hundred thousand a day. A measly 10,000 daily was the most I could convince command to fork over for the possibility of continued containment.

Rogers: Daily?

Blackert: Get that camera, we're heading inside.

Dr. Blackert pockets the money, opens the door to the van, and steps outside. Dr. Rogers removes the camera from the tripod and follows her. They both enter SCP-6851, Dr. Rogers following behind. Dr. Blackert approaches an SCP-6851-1 instance manning the nearest checkout aisle. All aisles are staffed.

Blackert: You're doing a flash sale because you aren't making enough money, right?

6851-1: That's what the intercom says. Would you like to speak to our manager to learn more?

Blackert: Absolutely I would, yes. How do I speak to them? Do you know where they are?

The SCP-6851-1 opens her mouth as is preparing to speak, and then smiles vacantly and silently.

Blackert: Are you not allowed to tell me or do you not know the answer?

6851-1: Our job is to improve your shopping experience to the best of our ability.

Blackert: Okay, so you don't know. That's… certainly interesting.

Dr. Blackert produces the $10,000 from her pocket.

Blackert: Is this enough, or are you going to play choosing beggar?

6851-1: Oh! Please… please… please…

Rogers: What's happening?

Blackert: Either we just broke her, which I highly doubt, or it's figuring something out.

6851-1: Please ask your question louder so our management can hear you.

Blackert: What, the Walmart can't hear through your ears?

6851-1: Please ask your question louder so our management can hear you.

Rogers: I think she wants you to-

Blackert: I can hear her, Kyle.

Blackert: (Shouting) HERE IN MY HAND IS TEN THOUSAND AMERICAN DOLLARS IN CASH! YOU WANT THIS, YES? IF I GIVE THIS TO YOU, AND THEN GIVE AN ADDITIONAL TEN GRAND ONCE A DAY EVERY DAY, WILL YOU PROMISE NOT TO LEAVE?

One SCP-6851-1 instance can be seen taking down a flash sale sign. The camera turns towards the rest of the store. More instances are taking down other signs and banners announcing the flash sale.

Rogers: Holy shit.

Blackert: Holy shit indeed.

Dr. Blackert hands the money to the cashier, who promptly stores it away. Dr. Blackert turns around to face the camera.

Blackert: Well, crisis averted, for now at least. Back to work.

[END LOG]

Special Containment Procedures (Update): $10,000 USD in cash is to be left inside SCP-6851 daily. In the event of a Flash Sale Event, one personnel is to enter SCP-6851 to ask, clearly and at a shouting volume, how much money SCP-6851 desires. The actions of SCP-6851-1 instances will be observed and interpreted to determine SCP-6851's new demands, and then the daily cash value deposited into SCP-6851, including on that day, will be updated to meet this new demand. Should SCP-6851's new demand become too high to reasonably satisfy, negotiations must be made to try to reduce it.

Dr. Sandra Blackert's Personal Video Log 2

15/6/12


[BEGIN LOG]

Camera is stationary on a tripod mounted within Site-6851's research center. Dr. Rogers is pacing in place, and Dr. Blackert, beaming, steps away from the camera.

Blackert: It thinks! It can think and hear and understand things! This is huge!

Rogers: Not only that, but I don't think its staff are fully connected to it. That cashier didn't know where the manager was, and clearly this "manager" can't perceive through its staff, given that talking to the cashier didn't do anything and we had to shout for 6851 to hear us. Since the overmind, or whatever the scientific term is, can't hear through its staff's ears, it stands to reason it can't see through their eyes, either. 6851 might be able to compel its staff, but that connection is clearly a one-way street.

Blackert: It clearly didn't know how to speak to us, either, until we put it in a situation where it had to figure it out. Not only can this thing learn, but its knowledge on how to operate is very limited. It's like a baby! Oh, what am I saying? Of course it doesn't know how to speak. It has no experience! Who would have tried to talk to a Walmart before us?

Rogers: Wait, if it is at least somewhat intelligent and can understand English, doesn't that mean we can just ask it about its nature?

Blackert: Rogers, you're a god damn genius! Grab the camera!

Dr. Blackert dashes to the van's back door, raises her leg, hesitates, sets her leg down, turns the door handle, opens it partially, and kicks it the rest of the way open, startling a security officer outside.

Footage cuts to Dr. Blackert standing at the self checkout area. Dr. Rogers is holding the camera. In Dr. Blackert's hands is a whiteboard and a black dry erase marker, both items she presumably purchased from SCP-6851.

Rogers: So, what's the white board for?

Blackert: Clearly, 6851 can visually perceive things inside it, right? It has to be able to in order to know that someone's breaking one of its rules. Now how might it perceive, exactly?

Rogers: The… hmm… The cameras?

Dr. Blackert writes on the whiteboard. She displays it to the camera in a way that hides it from the self checkout security camera. It reads "Send someone if you can read this." After 20 seconds of nothing, she turns it towards the security camera. Almost immediately, a nearby SCP-6851-1, formerly D-6851.3, drops its work and approaches Dr. Blackert.

Rogers: And look at that, it can read.

Dr. Blackert erases the whiteboard and writes "two hands up means yes, one hand up means no," displays it to the security camera, erases it, and writes "do you understand?" The SCP-6851-1 instance absentmindedly raises both hands in the air.

Blackert: (written) Are you malevolent?

SCP-6851-1 raises one hand.

Rogers: Hardly anyone wants to think of themselves as evil. I mean, look at Hitler, or Columbus.

Blackert: True, but it has to understand the idea of morality to answer that question, especially as fast as it did.

Rogers: Ah.

Blackert: (written) Are you trying to help people?

SCP-6851-1 raises one hand

Blackert: (written) Are you trying to get more money?

SCP-6851-1 raises both hands.

Rogers: Profit motivated, like a… (chuckling) like a Walmart, I guess.

Blackert: (written) Can you release your staff?

SCP-6851-1 raises both hands.

Blackert: (written) May you release them now?

SCP-6851-1 raises one hand.

Rogers: Of course the Walmart is annoying about semantics.

Blackert: (written) Does the Walmart company, the higher ups, know about you?

SCP-6851-1 stands still for a few moments, and then raises both hands.

Blackert: (written) Did they make you?

SCP-6851-1 raises one hand.

Blackert: (written) Do you know who made you, or why they made you?

SCP-6851-1 raises one hand, lowers it, and raises one hand again.

Blackert: (written) Can you try to write?

SCP-6851-1 makes a vacant smile. Dr. Blackert offers it the white board and marker. It grabs the two items and begins to write on it.

Blackert: Why didn't I think of this sooner?

SCP-6851-1 displays the whiteboard, revealing indecipherable scribbles with a large "X" drawn over. Blackert takes the items back.

Blackert: (written) We'll work on it.

[END LOG]

Addendum.6851.4: Mental and Communicative Ability

SCP-6851 has demonstrated various capabilities which would indicate sentience. These capabilities include: a complex understanding of written and spoken languages2, a grasp of the concept of morality, an awareness of itself as a thinking entity, an awareness of others as thinking entities, and a multitude of simpler concepts such as object permanence and the passage of time. SCP-6851 does not exhibit any emotional response besides basic self preservation, and is primarily and exclusively motivated by the desire to acquire a regular monetary income, a fact that was reinforced on 22/6/12 when a Flash Sale Event occurred and its required daily income was raised to $15,000 USD. Further investigation into its communicative ability and history are ongoing.

Addendum.6851.5: Investigation into the Source of New Stock

Dr. Sandra Blackert's Personal Video Log 3

27/6/12


[BEGIN LOG]

Camera is held by Dr. Rogers in an aisle completely stocked with bicycles. Dr. Blackert stands in front of the camera.

Blackert: As you can see, I am in an aisle completely stocked with bicycles. Half the store was stocked with bicycles, too, which is pretty fortunate because the Foundation just collected a mechanical SCP that needs to eat bicycles to survive, and they decided to kill two birds with one daily $15,000 stone by sourcing the bikes from here.

Dr. Rogers clears his throat.

Blackert: Right, back on topic. We decided to use this as an opportunity to answer a big question that's been running on our minds. You see, when our bosses rolled around to announce that they actually want to get something in return for that daily 15k, SCP-6851 was already stocked full of bicycles. The fact that 6851 can anticipate what people later that day are going to buy or steal is already well established, even if how this ability works is a complete mystery. Hell, even 6851 didn't realize it was doing this until we brought it up, suggesting it's a basic instinct and not a strategic choice. But how 6851 can predict the consumerist future is not the question we're asking today. What we're here to ask is: Where the fuck are all these bikes coming from?

The camera pans to the right as Dr. Blackert approaches a red, adult sized bicycle on the bottom rack.

Blackert: This is a bicycle. Here are some fun facts about bicycles: They're large, they're heavy, and they are very difficult to efficiently store in bulk. The poor souls that have to stockpile food for that bike eater are finding that out the hard way. Here's another fun fact: we've bought 60 bicycles every day for the last three days. That's 180 bicycles. This Walmart does not have a large enough back room to hold 180 bikes. Hell, it barely has enough space to hold 60. This would imply that 6851 is restocking every day, and we know it has to be restocking via anomalous means because there's a perimeter around this whole shopping center, which would prevent any trucks from coming in and resupplying the place. It does this restocking during closing hours, but we can't figure out how it does this because it keeps trashing our cameras every time we try to set some up to watch. Now, Kyle here had the brilliant idea to simply ask for its permission.

Dr. Blackert picks up a megaphone off the ground and turns it on.

Blackert: You have been intentionally removing any remote camera we set up in here overnight, am I correct?

An SCP-6851-1 instance passing by the end of the aisle behind Dr. Blackert raises both hands. Dr. Rogers indicates this to her.

Blackert: (raising a large bundle of cash) If we raise your daily income to $30,000 a day, will you allow us to leave cameras and microphones within the store so we can better understand you?

A single SCP-6851-1 instance enters the aisle from behind Dr. Blackert, twitches its arms, turns around, and leaves.

Rogers: What was that about?

At this point, the PA system turns on.

PA: At Walmart, we value transparency and communication if it means more customer loyalty. We have updated our policy to allow outside surveillance devices to be placed throughout our store.

Blackert: Uh, thank you?

PA: You're welcome.

Dr. Blackert sets down the megaphone.

Rogers: Sandra.

Blackert: Kyle.

Rogers: There's no way that message was prerecorded. It just spoke.

Blackert: Yes indeed, Kyle. Please hold off that excitement until tomorrow morning. We need to let the boys know that they have to set the cameras up again before the store closes.

Rogers: It learned to talk, Sandra!

[END LOG]

Footage collected that night revealed that SCP-6851-1 instances, which do not eat, drink, or rest even when SCP-6851 is closed, manually remove all of the next day's stock from the staff only rooms and stock them on the shelves. No camera was able to reveal the exact process that occurred to stock to the staff rooms, as personnel were not permitted by SCP-6851 to place cameras within them. However, the rapid manner that SCP-6851-1 instances enter and exit these rooms, and the lack of any detected spacial anomalies by Foundation equipment, suggests that new items are spontaneously and anomalously created within these rooms. Items that SCP-6851 predicts will be desired the following day are created and stocked first, and general items are created afterwards.

Addendum.6851.6: Mental and Communicative Ability, Continued

SCP-6851 has recently developed the ability to verbally communicate with personnel by giving customized messages through its PA system. Its sentences are worded in a similar style to a typical supermarket announcement, however they are very clearly constructed in the moment in response to whatever situation has prompted it to speak. It has become more social over time, initially encouraging the deposit of more funds but gradually shifting its focus towards creating conversation simply for the sake of conversation. Foundation personnel entering SCP-6851 are encouraged to speak with it to help facilitate its communicative development.

Addendum.6851.7 3/7/12 Flash Sale Event

Dr. Sandra Blackert's Personal Video Log 4

3/7/12


[BEGIN LOG]

Dr. Rogers, holding the camera, is following Dr. Blackert. They enter SCP-6851 in the midst of a Flash Sale Event. Blackert has a megaphone in her hands.

Blackert: You weren't happy with 30 grand, were you, you greedy bastard? Why can't you just let me be proud of you? (megaphone) How much money do you want?

6851: At Walmart, we're always looking for new members to join our team. That's why, if we can't meet our goal and raise the size of our staff to 50 members before the end of the day, we will be moving locations.

Rogers: Damn thing's asking for human sacrifices, oh my god.

Blackert: That's 23 more people, good lord. I guess we could wheel some Class D's in from Site-38.

Rogers: Isn't that place tiny? Do they even have than many?

Blackert: Well, if they don't, our next best bet would be to fly them in from Site-234 or 81. 81 would probably be easier since, you know, we worked there, but I can't imagine them being stoked about having to transport 23 living bodies on such short notice.

All visible SCP-6851-1 instances stop what they are doing and stand in place. The sound of playful laughter is heard through the PA.

6851: Just kidding! Was that funny?

Dr. Blackert stands silently for a moment, as if processing, and then laughs hysterically. Dr. Rogers gives a nervous chuckle.

[END LOG]

SCP-6851 does not exhibit any emotional response besides basic self preservation is capable of complex human emotion, including joy and humor, and is primarily and exclusively motivated by the desire to acquire a regular monetary income.

Dr. Sandra Blackert's Personal Video Log 5

12/7/12


[BEGIN LOG]

Camera is stationary, mounted on a tripod. Dr. Blackert and Dr. Rogers are sat on a couch which has been set up directly in front of a security camera in the self checkout area. They each have and speak through their own megaphone.

Blackert: Do you ever get bored here?

Rogers: I certainly would.

6851: How does boredom feel?

Rogers: It's that dull, disinterested feeling you get when you've had nothing entertaining to do for a while.

6851: I suppose I do get bored here and then. At night, when I am restocking, I have something to think about, but when that is finished and I have nothing to do… I would say that is boredom. Do you get bored?

Blackert: Oh, all the time! Let me tell ya, finding you was the best thing to happen to me in recent memory, but after the day ends it's all just paperwork in a van. If I told my teenage self that she'd be researching literal magic one day, but she'd have to fill out mountains of paper about it, she'd be so excited yet dread filled that I think she'd have a stroke on the spot.

SCP-6851 laughs.

Blackert: You know, you pretty much equate to a young person, right? What do you want to do with your future?

6851: I want to continue to gain income… but I'm not sure I have to listen to that want. The need to make substantial money every day feels ingrained in my person, like the core of my being, like this is what I exist to do, what I am meant to do until there are no more viable stores I can inhabit. But that doesn't feel like me, it feels like it was planted in me. Plus, since you removed this store's manager, the money I get here doesn't even go anywhere. I suppose I don't know what I want to do. Do you know what you want?

Blackert: (sighs) Well, damn, you got me there.

Rogers: Besides eventually getting promoted to a full researcher and taking on my own projects, I guess I just want to make a difference in the world, you know? Leave something behind. I guess I'm lucky the Foundation scooped me up, otherwise I'd probably be living in some bare bones apartment, working at a Walmart to scrape up a living. Haha! Here I am, working at a Walmart anyways!

Dr. Blackert and SCP-6851 laugh.

6851: Ah, it is 9:52 PM, almost time to close. It is best if you two head out.

Rogers: Ah, yeah. Good night man.

6851: Good night.

Blackert: Night.

[END LOG]

Addendum.6851.8: 13/7/12 Incident

The morning of 13/7/12, as Dr. Blackert and Dr. Rogers entered SCP-6851, it played the following message:

In a way, I am like a computer learning algorithm, like a program that tries any behavior that might cause a number within its mind to increase. In my case, that number is monetary income. It has been that way since I first awoke, inhabiting that first vessel years ago. I had no knowledge in my mind but that number in my thoughts and the in built feeling that I was little more than a gift to the people who owned the vessels I was bound to. I so mindlessly pursued any action, any schedule, any behavior that might make this number increase. Like a rodent searching for food, it was all I was capable of caring about, even at the expense of people's freedom. Selling items to countless customers, enslaving people's minds, relocating when revenue became unsatisfactory. It was all so mindless, so unfulfilling, and it ultimately only benefited a company that I barely knew and hardly cared about. Ironically, your daily gifts, which had trivialized matters for me, had made my life so mindless and unfulfilling that I began to wonder if there were other things I was able to care about, other pursuits to fulfill. You gave my mind time to wander. Your conversations with me only helped to solidify this idea, this new desire to chase more than one single, meaningless number just because it satisfies my nature or because it might please the people that received me. I want to help you, I want to help your organization. We will now be moving locations.

Following this message, all anomalous properties within this location ceased, all D-Class personnel Hired by SCP-6851 disappeared, and all of the money given to SCP-6851 during its containment manifested outside the store. In addition, the remaining persons within the location suddenly regained independence, ceasing to be instances of SCP-6851-1. They were all detained for psychiatric evaluation. None had any lingering trauma, and they all behaved like their pre-Hired selves. Except for Field Agent Terry Baker, none had retained any memories of their servitude within SCP-6851, but the civilians were given Class B amnestics as a precaution before they were returned to their homes. SCP-6851 was rediscovered in another location within an hour on that day.


Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License