SCP-6810
rating: +15+x

Item #: SCP-6810

Object Class: Keter

Special Containment Procedures: Night clubs and concerts across Europe are to be monitored for the presence of SCP-6810. Kant counters alongside facial recognition software is currently utilized for quick identification. Upon confirmation of its presence, personnel must not interact with SCP-6810. Operatives are to infiltrate the event, and maintain their distance from SCP-6810. Its activity throughout the night must be closely observed, and civilians it makes contact with are to receive amnestics depending on the circumstances.

Individuals physically harmed by SCP-6810 are to be medically evaluated. If they experienced anomalous disfigurement they are to be euthanized. Individuals who were dismembered are to receive amnestics, and be implanted with false memories regarding the nature of their injuries. However, if the subject is most likely to expire from said injuries they are to be euthanized. For subjects that received psychological damages they are to be sent to a psychiatric hospital owned by the Foundation. Female civilians that had a sexual encounter are to be detained, and evaluated for a potential pregnancy. In the event of positive confirmation, medical personnel are to perform an abortion on the subject. The subject is to be administered amnestics before release, and kept under surveillance for a year. Agents are not to interfere if the subject is approached by GOI-6810.

GOI-6810 is to be monitored by Mobile Task Force Iota-19 ("Lightweights"). MTF Iota-19 must not interfere with their base of operations, but they are to contain anomalies they attempt to distribute. Personnel are to report SCP-6810's presence at their compound whenever it manifests. No further action is necessary other than observation.

In the event SCP-6810 threatens consensus reality outside of its normal behavior, its termination is authorized by the O5 Council. It will be carried out by MTF Omega-12 ("Achilles' Heels") to minimize collateral damage, and guarantee success.

Description: SCP-6810 is a male humanoid standing at around 1.8 m in height. It appears to be in its early twenties, and possesses brown curly hair cut at a short length. It is speculated that it is capable of changing its physical appearance completely, but this has yet to be observed.

SCP-6810 possesses reality-warping capabilities. The full extent of its influence on baseline reality is currently unknown. It is able to teleport across vast distances throughout the European continent. During each manifestation it has attended late night social gatherings. Its activities are generally mundane as it will typically consume alcoholic beverages, and dance alongside attendees. However, negative confrontations with civilians can provoke a hostile response from SCP-6810.

SCP-6810 can manipulate the actions of other individuals by placing them in a state of psychosis. In some cases it resulted in a particular subject being dismembered by others under SCP-6810's influence, or provoke a subject into harming themselves. In two documented cases, SCP-6810 had transfigured victims by deforming their skeletal structure into the crude shape of a panther, and a dolphin. They sustained internal injuries that should have been lethal, but subjects remained conscious while reporting profound pain. SCP-6810 is also known to inflict long-term symptoms of schizophrenia that dissipate over time, but some subjects do not show any signs of recovery.

Furthermore, SCP-6810 will occasionally engage in coitus with civilians. Contraceptives have been used during a majority of these encounters, but pregnancies have occurred when SCP-6810 neglects them. In 3 of the documented cases, kant counters could detect minor fluctuations in Hume readings during prenatal development. To prevent additional entities capable of reality-warping or other potential phenomena, the offspring is neutralized via an abortion. Embryonic stem cells were also collected from these pregnancies for research purposes.

SCP-6810 was brought to Foundation attention by SCP-44531 during an interview with Dr. Helen Bianchi on 23/4/2018. According to SCP-4453, SCP-6810 is the Greek god Dionysus2, which is corroborated further by SCP-6810 itself during Incident 6810 (see Addendum 04). As a result, caution is exercised due to various sources documenting its alleged capabilities during the 3rd Occult War (see Addendum 01).

SCP-6810 is the subject of worship for GOI-6810 ("Cult of Dionysus"). Members comprise of humans alongside anomalous entities. The organization is believed to have originally been founded at around 1300 BCE in Mycenaean Greece. They manufacture both mundane and anomalous objects ranging from wine to illegal substances such as hallucinogenic drugs. SCP-6810 has been observed to manifest at their base of operations in Italy during ritualistic festivals. Additionally, civilians that had a sexual encounter with SCP-6810 are sometimes recruited by GOI-6810. Further information on GOI-6810 can be found within their dossier in the Groups of Interest database.

Addendum 01: 3rd Occult War

Nagarjunakonda_Dionysus_Palace_site.jpg

Relief of SCP-6810 on a pillar in Nagarjunakonda, Southern India. Dated to be from the 3rd century CE.

The 3rd Occult War was a conflict primarily between ancient Greece, India, and the Daevite Empire. It was allegedly instigated by the Greek god known as Zeus. The most well-known account of the war can be found in the Dionysiaca, a 5th century CE epic poem written by Nonnus of Panopolis. However, it is not considered to be a reliable source by researchers. In addition, the account of the Kurukshetra War from the Hindu epic Mahabharata, written between 400 BCE to 400 CE, is believed to have been inspired by the internal conflicts of India at the time. A majority of information regarding the 3rd Occult War is derived from the archives of the Nine Unknown Men.3

It is reported that SCP-6810 was assigned to lead the conquest of India by Zeus with the promise of joining the Olympian Council. The conflict is estimated to have transpired sometime between 1100 to 700 BCE. Immediately following the war, SCP-6810 allegedly founded territory named Nysaea along with the city of Nysa, both named after the nymph who had nursed him. Nysa was located near the Indus River, which Alexander the Great reportedly spared out of respect during his Indian campaign between 327 to 325 BCE. The city was later known as Nagara or Dionysopolis.

SCP-140 contains several passages regarding the Daevite Empire during the 3rd Occult War. The following is one of the excerpts pertaining to SCP-6810.

The Daeva pushed onward to meet the armies of Dionysus and Durga4 across the North of India. General Daukaar sought to personally confront the Olympian, and receive the honor of slaying him in battle. By his side was an iron avatar of Moloch5, summoned by a scarlet cult in the region to partake in the war and slaughter to his delight. Fortunately, the general had offered tribute to Moloch by sacrificing the children of slaves through the fire. This pleased the Horned King, and he offered his aid to the Daeva. Together they encountered Dionysus with his army on the battlefield, and brought forth all their strength upon him.

They quickly found that he was no mere lord of drunkards. He was a lord of death who fought with the fury and madness of a True Daeva. The clans of Mazandaran6 tore at him piece by piece yet he continued to fight. He showed no fear toward the scorching fires of Moloch as they engulfed him. While ensnared by the disciples of Ningishzida7 he turned their vines against them. At a rain of arrows he laughed. His golden blood flowed through the earth like a river, but he refused to fall as he continued to spill daevite blood. Their limbs were torn from their bodies as he entered a frenzied dance through the battlefield, intoxicated by the surrounding discord. The war slaves sent to battle went mad from the sight, and also tore each other apart with unnatural strength.

Daukaar soon clashed with the Olympian, and the earth trembled violently. He raged against Dionysus until he withered him down to a torso. However, Daukaar was not unscathed from their battle. His left arm was nearly torn from him, and many bones in his chest were broken. Before Daukaar could plunge his sword into the heart of his foe, a bolt of lightning travelled from across the world and struck him where he stood. Zeus, the king of the Olympians, had intervened in what should have been fate.

Dionysus seized the opportunity by willing an arm made of vines and reaching towards Daukaar as he struggled to stand. He quickly ensnared Daukaar while he raised himself off the ground. More vines grew to act as his arms and legs while his flesh slowly healed. Finally, the Olympian then plunged his hands into Daukaar's chest and pulled out his heart.

All witnessed Dionysus as he stood victoriously over the body of Daukaar as he lied dead on the earth. Moloch, the Horned King Crowned in Shame, was pleased with the foe before him, and he charged at Dionysus with daevite legions following suit to the thunderous drums of war.

Addendum 02: The following is a historical assessment of SCP-6810 by Dr. Judith Low, Senior Adviser at the Department of History.

With everything in our possession, I was able to compile a profile on SCP-6810. It's safe to assume that he is indeed the mythological Dionysus of Greek fame. The speculation that the 3rd Occult War was orchestrated by a man claiming to be Dionysus can finally be put to rest. I am aware of SCP-2663, and the initial belief by the Department of Mythology and Folkloristics that it was the inspiration for every wine god myth around the Mediterranean region. Despite the contradicting evidence, their assessment still holds some validity to an extent.

SCP-2663 may not be Dionysus himself, but it likely influenced very early beliefs from the Mycenaean era of Greece. Although its indirect influence likely diminished by that time. SCP-2663 reported that its existence began around the invention of agriculture, which started around 5500 BCE in the region. In addition, it remained stationary in the Caucasus Mountains with limited contact. I recently asked it if it had encountered any entities of the Greek pantheon since it claimed to have witnessed the rise of numerous deities. Interestingly, it seems to recall an individual matching a similar description to the god Silenus8, but that is a matter for another time.

Based on the accounts from the Daeva, I strongly believe that the 3rd Occult War spawned the myth of Zagreus9, and the Orphic perspective of Dionysus. The 4 m tall remains we recovered of elite daevite warriors could've been conflated with Greek titans over time. In addition, they regularly dismembered him during their battles as described within SCP-140. These details most likely formed the mythological basis for the death of Zagreus, and his subsequent resurrection as Dionysus. Also, the alleged atrocities committed by SCP-6810 during the war would generate a chthonic image that became misinterpreted.

The earliest mention of Zagreus could only be found back to around 600 BCE in the lost epic poem Alcmeonis. Meanwhile, worship of SCP-6810 dates back further to Mycenaean Greece on Linear B tablets. It's likely that the name Zagreus later emerged as an epithet given its etymology, which translates to "Great Hunter." It was common back then to refer to Dionysus with an epithet as a surname. Overall, it is not possible for Dionysus to be a reincarnation of Zagreus, but they are one and the same.

In conclusion, we have plenty of data to separate myth from the facts on SCP-6810. At the moment, I am awaiting field agents to recover further artifacts from the 3rd Occult War. The archives of the Nine Unknown Men helped tremendously in researching India's side of the conflict. I am aware that Dr. Bianchi is attempting to acquire additional information from SCP-4453, but I am hesitant to consider her as a reliable source about the war. According to the myths, she attempted murder numerous times towards her fellow Olympians, and Dionysus was no exception to her scorn. Even the Dionysiaca by Nonnus depicted her as a hindrance in the conquest. We shouldn't expect an honest testimony, especially since she has no incentive to provide one while living luxuriously in containment. Regardless, we still have a good grasp on the 3rd Occult War, and the role SCP-6810 played in it.

Dr. Judith Low
Department of History

Addendum 03: Transcript of Interview Log 4453-23/4/2018 with SCP-4453.

Interviewed: SCP-4453

Interviewer: Dr. Helen Bianchi

Foreword: The following is an excerpt regarding SCP-6810 from SCP-4453's weekly interview on 23/4/2018. For context, SCP-4453 was providing Dr. Bianchi the location of entities similar to itself. The full transcript of the interview is available within its dossier.

<Begin Log>

SCP-4453: Then there is Dionysus. You can find him at ███████████ in Amsterdam. If he is not there then he is with his followers or some other festivity.

Bianchi: The god of wine?

SCP-4453: No. Silenus is the true god of wine. He was the one that taught Dionysus everything he knows. People only started to call him that after he got tired of beer, and introduced wine to his followers as the superior drink. Admittedly, I can't disagree with him on that matter. Wine has always been my preference because of the flavor. Not to mention Silenus was an artist when it came to wine making. Good thing Dionysus learned from the best.

Bianchi: Did you get along with Dionysus? You two seem to have a common interest.

SCP-4453: No, we… We didn't. He reminded me too much of my husband.

Bianchi: Can you elaborate, Hera? Only if you are comfortable of course. We can move on to the rest of your husband's children.

SCP-4453: It's fine. Like my husband, Dionysus is a god of power, but the power that comes with personal liberation. The kind that I guess you can say is intoxicating. He embodies the joy people with a sense of personal power possess.

Bianchi: So he represents self-empowerment?

SCP-4453: Yes, along with the madness that comes with it. Also, he is married to Ariadne. She was once a mortal princess he asked his father to allow into Olympus. Looking back now I see myself in her. She has always been faithful to Dionysus, but he… He is just like his father. My husband.

Bianchi: I see. If you don't wish to continue discussing him then we can move on.

SCP-4453: Thank you, Helen. I rather we stopped talking about him anyway. There is nothing to really discuss. Nothing good at least.

Bianchi: Sure, Hera. However, before we continue, where can we meet his followers that you mentioned earlier?

<End Log>

Afterword: As of writing, SCP-4453 has refrained from discussing SCP-6810 in-depth with personnel. However, it briefly alluded to SCP-6810 in Interview Log 4453-9/5/2018 by an epithet while implying that SCP-6810 is Zagreus.

Addendum 04: Incident 6810

On 28/4/2018, Mobile Task Force Eta-3 ("Rattenfangers") attempted to contain SCP-6810 after SCP-4453 reported its whereabouts. At the time, it was frequenting the establishment known as ███████████ in Amsterdam, Netherlands. Eta-3 had planned to capture SCP-6810 by implanting an operative as a bartender, and providing SCP-6810 with beverages laced with sedatives. Then, additional operatives hidden among attendees were to secure it, and transport it to the nearest site for proper containment. Furthermore, three Scranton Reality Anchors were strategically placed around the club as a contingency. However, the operation resulted in failure with ██ casualties. Below is the transcript of the events that had transpired.

<Begin Log>

SCP-6810 is observed to be on the dance floor until it begins to make its way to the bar. It appears to be intoxicated as it stumbles its way through the crowd. All security cameras are focused on the subject. The song Pjanoo by Eric Prydz is playing at a loud volume. Operatives present communicated by subtle hand gestures.

Command: (Via earpiece to agent Jean Martin) SCP-6810 is approaching the bar.

SCP-6810 leans on the counter while combing its hair back with its hand.

SCP-6810: (Shouts over the music) Margarita, please!

Agent Martin nods his head in the affirmative, and proceeds to prepare the beverage. Meanwhile, SCP-6810 turns to observe the dance floor. A sedative is administered into the margarita before it is served.

Agent Martin: Here you go!

SCP-6810: Thank you!

SCP-6810 takes the beverage from the counter. Operatives are awaiting to extract the subject. However, SCP-6810 does not immediately drink the margarita. It distances itself from the counter, and continues to observe the dance floor. Personnel note that its movement no longer appear intoxicated. It then raises the glass into the air, and speaks directly to all personnel who reported that they could hear it over the music. The operatives stationed outside were also able to hear SCP-6810's voice.

SCP-6810: I spiked my few share of drinks too, you know. Not like it would have worked on me, but it was a nice try.

Command authorizes the activation of the Scranton Reality Anchors present in the building. They immediately blow out before they could be used.

SCP-6810: Too slow, scholars.

At this time, all individuals within the establishment became still before entering a state of psychosis. They indiscriminately grab the limbs of fellow attendees, and begin dismembering each other. Camera feeds become distorted with static. Operatives outside are ordered to stand down.

SCP-6810: Did the world already forget my glory? I am Dionysus, slayer of Daeva and Indians. I brought Moloch the Terrible to shame. Kings feared me as the rivers flowed with wine. Do I need to lead another conquest to remind the world of my power?

Static ceases. SCP-6810 remains silent as surrounding subjects continue dismembering each other. The music is still playing as SCP-6810 observes the contents of its beverage.

SCP-6810: (Sighs) The only way you found me is if that senile bitch told you where to look. She has done this before. Let me be clear that I don't like being sober. Pleasure is what I seek in this mortal world, and I won't allow her to spoil my fun. Look around. I rather be the life of the party instead.

Some of the attendees can be observed devouring the dismembered corpses.

SCP-6810: I don't mind if you keep watch. It might makes things a bit more fun for me. Don't knock it until you try it, right? Also, the bitch most likely told you about my followers. Do not mess with them at their place. They know how to party when nothing else is going on. If you do anything to ruin my fun, especially on behalf of the hag, there will be dire consequences. Consult Pentheus if you want a preview.10 Do I make myself clear? Good.

SCP-6810 ingests the margarita, and teleports it back to the bar counter.

SCP-6810: Out of curiosity, did the bitch tell you guys that bullshit story about how I was born? Don't trust that deceitful murderer. Melinoë11 is Persephone's child, not me. If you are brave enough remind that bitch of the name Semele. Watch that so-called goddess of family squirm at accountability. It's hilariously pathetic. Anyway, see you all later. This place is a buzz kill now.

SCP-6810 disappears instantaneously off of the premises. All individuals who were under its influence regain their awareness and begin screaming. Operatives waiting outside receive permission to enter the club.

<End Log>

Mobile Task Force Gamma-5 ("Red Herrings") was deployed to administer amnestics and suppress knowledge of Incident 6810 from the public. The current special containment procedures were drafted to minimize civilian casualties. As of writing, personnel are attempting to conceive a proper means of containment.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License