SCP-6787

rating: +80+x
Item#: 6787
Level2
Containment Class:
Safe
Secondary Class:
none
Disruption Class:
Dark
Risk Class:
Caution
skylight.jpg

The skylight within SCP-6787.

Special Containment Procedures: Access to Sublevel 13 of Site-87 has been sealed behind a steel plate and concrete by order of Director Tristan Bailey. Due to a risk of personnel becoming trapped in SCP-6787 despite this, travel between Sublevel 12 and Sublevel 14 is only to take place via elevator at this time.

Description: SCP-6787 refers to Sublevel 13 of Site-87. Prior to SCP-6787's discovery in early 2022 during routine maintenance, Site-87 did not have a sublevel designated 13, instead incrementing from Sublevel 12 directly to Sublevel 14. SCP-6787 is only accessible via Site-87’s main stairwell, and lacks elevator access. The door to SCP-6787 is marked with the Foundation insignia, with ‘Department of Abnormalities, Archival Division’ engraved beneath.

musty.jpg

A view through SCP-6787's stacks.

Sublevel 13 resembles a public library; over 30,000 volumes of literature are believed to exist within SCP-6787, and it bears several amenities common in public libraries. Also present within SCP-6787 are:

  • A book deposit slot on the rear wall of SCP-6787; it has been welded shut, with caution signs placed around it in several languages.
  • Several pieces of seating, most of which are intact, including two sofas and an antique reading chair. However, personnel will routinely refuse to use any seating, citing an ‘instability’ with the furniture that they have not been able to elaborate on, and either lean against walls or sit on the floor to rest.
  • A skylight in the center of the structure, with light levels corresponding to an overcast day consistently filtering through it. Directly beneath the skylight is a section containing several tabletop games, apparently available for lending similar to other media in the library. These games are all missing crucial pieces such as dice, tokens, and game boards.
  • A circulation desk, which, to date, has not been located. Several members of personnel report seeing the circulation desk, but are unable to locate it when returning to the area where it was sighted.
  • A television with a built-in Betamax player is present by a pair of microfiche machines. Despite this, no Betamax tapes have been found within SCP-6787. Similar to the book deposit slot, the slot for inputting the tape has been fused shut.

The majority of the literature and media within SCP-6787 is non-anomalous, albeit of questionable origin, as media dating from as recently as 2021 has been located within. The exception is within the ‘Local History’ section; media from this section is designated SCP-6787-A.

SCP-6787-A instances purport to depict and detail (if occasionally dramatize) the history of the Nexus that Site-87 is located in (Sloth’s Pit, Wisconsin, Nexus 18). However, several details within SCP-6787-A instances are erroneous or contradictory. A table of selected instances follows:

SCP-6787-A Instance Purported Contents Notable Deviations
Jackson Sloth: An Autobiography An autobiography of the founder of Sloth’s Pit, Jackson Sloth; date of publication is listed as 1893, three years after Sloth’s purported death. Aside from the date of publication, a large portion of the work details Sloth’s brutal massacre, and subsequent pataphysical erasure, of Native Peoples within Douglas County, Wisconsin. In reality, Sloth had relatively good relations with the Native Peoples in the area, even learning some of the Ojibwe language in an attempt to integrate them into what would become Sloth’s Pit. The tone of the work indicates that the author is proud of his accomplishments.
Roots Grown by Blood by James Patterson A true crime novel detailing murders committed by Jeffery Hubble, a ‘blood cultist and farmer’ who believed that ‘human flesh could allow for a massive harvest’. The novel describes Hubble as murdering indiscriminately and burying upwards of twenty bodies within his field; only thirteen victims have been attributed to him. It is stated that Hubble’s crimes went undiscovered until the killing of his family’s dog and a local member of law enforcement in 2017; while accurate in spirit, it does not reflect actual events.
A History of UFO Sightings in the Greater Superior Area An account of purported extraterrestrial activity around Superior and Sloth’s Pit, Wisconsin. No extraterrestrial activity has been confirmed to occur within Nx-18. History of UFO Sightings attributes the increased activity to the presence of the ‘Jasper Sloth Nuclear Research Facility’; no such place exists.
██████ █████: A Life, Redacted by ‘Nemo’1 A biography of a Foundation agent stationed at Site-87 until death from an unspecified cause in 2020; the agent’s name is antimemetic and cannot be perceived. No agent matching the description given in the book has ever been stationed at Site-87. Her purported partner, Agent Tofflemire, denies knowledge of this individual, but has asked to keep this instance of SCP-6787-A. Request pending approval.
A Court Record of Divorce Proceedings Between Cassandra Pike and Claude Mattings As the title suggests, it is a record of all evidence and testimony within a divorce case between the two individuals; both are Foundation personnel, and have been married since 2018. The primary reason given for divorce is listed as ‘instability following the birth of their only child, Rose’. Pike loses custody of her child to her husband. In reality, the Pike-Mattings family have relocated to California to work on Project LAZARUS; they have not been notified of the existence of this item.
Autopsy Records of Dr. Katherine Jean Sinclair A pair of contradictory Foundation-issued autopsy reports. One has the date of death as October of 2020, and cause of death as ‘destruction of cranial tissue’. The other lists the date of death as May of 2021, and lists cause of death as ‘blood loss due to a gunshot wound’. At both times, Sinclair was in mortal danger; in the former case, her left eye was destroyed, and in the latter, she needed to resort to thaumic stasis until medical treatment could be rendered. Despite this, she is currently alive and works at Site-87.
A History of Hate in Douglas County, Wisconsin by the American Civil Liberties Union A work that portrays Sloth’s Pit as a heavily conservative area, de facto ruled by ‘The Family Church’, a relatively inactive Group of Interest which modeled itself after conservative Christian teachings. They are listed as being responsible for several lynchings, hate crimes, and murders of sexual and racial minorities, overseen by a “Father Reese”. Among the victims are an ‘Alexander Carracos’ and the ‘The Williams Twins’, both corresponding to members of Foundation personnel. Blake Williams and Alejandro Carrasco have been in a relationship since December 2021, which is listed as the date of their murder. It is unclear why Ruby Williams was targeted.
Black Autumn III, vol. 1 and vol. 5 A pair of VHS tapes that purportedly show an anthology series, depicting events which occurred during October 2019 concerning Halloween-related phenomena appearing in Nexuses around the world. Volumes 2, 3 and 4 have not been located. The episodes portray the Foundation attempting to, in some way, destroy or neutralize the anomalous elements of the Nexuses they control or have involvement in; Puerto Extraño, Brazil has all extraterrestrial life exterminated, the non-human population of Esterberg is killed in a Foundation-backed pogrom, extradimensional areas such as Three Portlands and the ‘Complex Apartments’ in New York are brought into regular space in such a way that they destroy the areas they are connected to, and a nuclear bomb is dropped down the Bottomless Pit within Nx-18 in an attempt to neutralize it.
Site-87: A History by Phillip Verhoten Purports to tell the history of Site-87 in Sloth’s Pit, Wisconsin, following its establishment in 1907. Sloth’s Pit was not known to the larger Foundation prior to the discovery of SCP-097 in 1969, and Site-87 was not established until 1976. None of the personnel listed are known to ever have been Foundation personnel; the only individual of note mentioned is Zachary Bellwether, a purported Director of Site-87, who ran for governor of Wisconsin three times between 1945 and 1960, losing the primary each time.
An Index of Treason A document purported to be published by the Foundation, listing several individuals who had committed treason against the organization since its establishment. All current and former Site-87 personnel are listed, as are personnel at Site-43, Site-120, and several other Sites which deal with the containment of Nexuses. The only known contents include references to Director Bailey’s brother, SCP-1483 Commissioner Thomas Bailey, as purposefully collapsing SCP-1483 and defecting to the Antarctic Empire. Upon recording this data, Director Bailey ordered the volume destroyed, and SCP-6787 sealed.

Despite being sealed as of March 2022, personnel traversing Site-87 between Sublevel 12 and Sublevel 14 have sporadically found themselves within SCP-6787, leading to current containment procedures. All twenty personnel who have become trapped this way have been recovered; in the process, they have retrieved several other instances of SCP-6787-A, with titles including:

  • When Words Fail: The Loss of SCP-5109 and the Collapse of US Foundation Infrastructure by Harold R. Blank, Foundation Archivist
  • A More Bottomless Pit? The Economic Failure of Sloth’s Pit, Wisconsin by Simeon Adler
  • Death of Summer: The Camp Krakkow Disaster by Isaiah H. Pickman, Archivist Emeritus
  • I. H. Pickman’s 001 Proposal: ‘Erasing the Word of God’

These items are currently not being studied, per order of Director Bailey.

| Hub |

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License