SCP-6730

rating: +10+x
Item#: 6730
Level2
Containment Class:
safe
Secondary Class:
uncontained
Disruption Class:
vlam
Risk Class:
caution

Assigned Site Site Director Research Head Assigned Task Force
R&C Site-44 Carter C. Carter Dr. Eirlys Hargest N/A

Luminous_Fish_of_the_Deep_Sea.jpg

A series of drawings depicting recovered SCP-6730 related species.


Special Containment Procedures: All instances of SCP-6730-related species are to be contained within the vicinity of Site-44, situated on Foulness Island in Essex, England. Given the deep-sea nature of SCP-6730 entities, constructing on-site housing at the necessary scale for all captive instances is infeasible. Only temporary housing for select instances of each species is permitted in Unit 2 of Site-44's Subterranean Housing complex, designated for limited experimentation or observation.

A specified section of the southern North Sea, proximate to Site-44, has been publicly designated as off-limits under the guise of "Ministry of Defence" sea property. The demarcated sea region serves as an essential containment buffer, providing a natural environment for SCP-6730 instances without causing harm or distress to civilian populations. Enforcement measures for restricted access include appropriate signage and deterrent measures implemented to dissuade any attempts to breach the area. Integrated surveillance systems, both terrestrial and aquatic, monitor and respond to any unauthorized activities within the specified boundary.

In instances where SCP-6730-related species breach this designated boundary and cannot be safely returned, termination procedures are to be executed if possible. Alternatively, misinformation campaigns are to be promptly initiated if instances are publicly discovered, ensuring any disclosed information remains speculative.


Description: SCP-6730 serves as the collective designation for a set of five initially unknown deep-sea aquatic life forms. These entities were initially documented between 1932 and 1934 by the American naturalist Dr. Charles William Beebe during a series of deep-sea "Bathysphere" dives conducted in collaboration with Otis Barton. Despite each species within SCP-6730 being assigned an individual designation, Beebe introduced a unifying term in his 1934 book, "Half Mile Down," where he collectively referred to this series of, at the time, unidentified species as the "untouchable."

Royal_Naval_Dockyard_Bermuda_circa_1899_Ordnance_Survey_map_by_Lieutenant_Arthur_Johnson_Savage%2C_RE.jpg
Bermuda Research Station, Nonsuch Island.

All instances sharing the SCP-6730 designation were documented and recorded by Dr. William Charles Beebe during his November 22, 1932 expedition or the subsequent one on August 11, 1934. The Foundation's Cryptozoology Division developed early interest after Dr. Beebe described unidentified aquatic life deep in the Atlantic Ocean. Personnel were dispatched in 1933, a year after his initial dives, to capture the presumed sea life. Following successful captures during these early missions, a dedicated facility was established to study SCP-6730-related species. Subterranean Sector 2 Safe Storage at Research and Containment Site-44 on Foulness Island in Essex, England, became the designated containment site for captive instances.

The specific reasons for the concentration of anomalous aquatic life in this region remain unclear. Furthermore, the absence of reported instances beyond Dr. Beebe's last expedition in 1934 is not fully understood. Retroactive observations of the dive sites revealed no further unidentifiable sea life. It is plausible that the Foundation's interventions, combined with the properties of each species, resulted in a dynamic equilibrium, prompting the majority of SCP-6730 entities to withdraw or enter a state of dormancy. SCP-6730-4 stands as the singular exception, possessing attributes that render it resistant to the observed disappearance of the other species in question.



Bathysphaera_intacta.jpg
"Bathysphaera intacta," c. 1932.

Morphological Description: SCP-6730-1, often referred to by the unofficial taxonomy of "Bathysphaera intacta," derived from "Bathysphere," the early deep-sea vessel used during the first documented recording of a SCP-6730-1 instance, and "intacta" Latin for "untouchable," is a species of aquatic life that was first observed during a initial set of experimental underwater dives in early 1932. The first instances were recorded alongside two other previously unidentified species, that currently being SCP-6730-2 as well as SCP-6730-3.

The overall exterior physical appearance of species that are designated under the SCP-6730-1 classification mirror the common genus of Idiacanthus, which represents a family of dragonfishes which are frequent in the Atlantic Ocean. Nonetheless, immediate observations allow for the distinction between sea life belonging under the Idiacanthus genus, as even if similar in physical appearance, the SCP-6730-1 species have notable exterior features which are commonly accepted to be natural evolutions as a way to counter the lack of light deep beneath the ocean. Therefore, a set of enlarged photophores adorn both sides of the species, and if active, emit a near infrared light, thus appearing dim to the human eye. Famously, instances of SCP-6730-1 are noted for their large eyes, which are disproportionate even for a creature of it's great size, being paired with a frontal and rear pair of down-protruding stalks which have natural "bulbs" of photophores on their tips.

All current properties that are believed to be anomalous in-nature with regards to the species of SCP-6730-1 have been entirely related to the way that the species is able to seemingly harness and gain energy from electromagnetic waves of conduction which flow through large bodies of water, such as oceans. Much to the same way of how a common fish is able to use their gills to have water perforate their bodies and thus hydrate the animal, instances of SCP-6730-1 are able to collect energy from the small amounts of electricity generated in certain molecules of ocean water. It is uncertain on if this is a natural bodily process within the species, or if SCP-6730-1 instances are able to control their electric-intake through means that are entirely non-physical.


Discovery: The first instances of SCP-6730-1 were described by Dr. Charles William Beebe on his November 22, 1932 descent in the "Bathysphere" early diving vessel. During the descent off of the Bermuda coast, at nearly 2,100 feet (about 640 meters) further descent into the ocean was briefly halted, as Dr. Beebe had believed that he spotted a pair of large aquatic animals not far from the porthole-style window of the vessel. Therefore, he had enough time to secure the vessel's internal spotlight and aim it out of a secondary window, which had revealed the first pair of documented SCP-6730-1 instances. He had viewed what he called "two creatures both six-feet in length" swim completely around the diving bell, and although some rough notes were made about the unusual appearance of the unknown species, the pair of SCP-6730-1 instances would apparently swim off into the further abyss, rendering further visualization of the initial species impossible.

Upon returning to the surface from the descent, Dr. Beebe documented the three species that he had apparently seen below the surface of the water, that being not only the two instances of SCP-6730-1, but as well as SCP-6730-2 and SCP-6730-3, all seen at different depths respectively. The early accounts from the incident had garnered interest from the Foundation's Cryptozoology Division, which since the encounter, been wanting to confirm the validity of the purportedly seen creatures. Nonetheless, it would not be until 1933 that personnel tasked with identifying the reported instances would be able to replicate the dive which saw the first documentation of the SCP-6730 series of creatures. After routine test dives, Foundation personnel were able to retrieve samples of the first three identified species, temporarily boarding them onto a disguised cargo ship which itself was bound for Site-44, the hub of the Foundation's Cryptozoology Division which is located on Foulness Island in Essex, England.

Following the first retrieval of the species designated as SCP-6730-1 in 1933, an early analysis including a dissection made upon one of the instances aboard the vessel used for transportation to Site-44 had erroneously concluded that there was absolutely nothing anomalous in-nature about the recovered instances. It was assumed that SCP-6730-1, as well as the other captured species that being SCP-6730-2 and SCP-6730-3 might be nothing more then what the mainstream scientific notion was at the time, that the described sea creatures were just previously unidentified species that had evolved from a common ancestor to whichever genus they appeared most in-tune with. Nonetheless, it is worth noting that it is possible that no anomalous properties revealed themselves during this early dissection period as the sample in-question had not been alive, nor was it underwater, dismissing the chance to observe the species utilize their electromagnetic synthesis.

Personnel originally entrusted with the initial retrieval of SCP-6730-1 instances were directed to release any living organisms of the species back into the sea, opting for the closest expansive saltwater body near the North Sea. Due to this, SCP-6730-1 entities would remain in an uncontained state until 1934. It would not be until 1934 where a newfound interest after observing the other documented species, that being SCP-6730-2 and SCP-6730-3, that it was realized that the remaining surviving captive instances of the species should be re-examined. Efforts to recontain the recently freed SCP-6730-1 instances were initiated, amassing in a process that would last nearly two years, until finally concluding in 1936.


glowingfish.png?ex=659774d3&is=6584ffd3&hm=8f8d4201257d0ce476e6a3e1b31f114f10c34b105b7c1c8b0e4d5579de33224f&
"Idiacanthus atlanticus" and "Opostomias micripnus," discovered in 1914 and 1878 respectively.

Ethological Analysis: As common with most deep-sea aquatic life, the species belonging to the SCP-6730-1 designation employ a few adaptations in-order to better suit their environment. Being a natural predator, SCP-6730-1 can harness enough conduct oceanic electric currents carried in waves to produce a near-infrared emission which is meant to attract potential prey. However, it should be noted that unlike other sea creatures that produce light naturally such as Lophius piscatorius, known as the common Anglerfish, instances of SCP-6730-1 only produce such emissions when in a situation that desires such. Routine observations have shown that the species is capable of navigating the otherwise entirely darkened bodies of water as if they could see through the darkness. It is entirely plausible that the enlarged eyes of SCP-6730-1 instances are of such size on purpose, and without a doubt, play a role in this ability.

Sourcing prey in the deep regions of the sea is rather obviously more uncommon then at other levels that are closer to the surface. Due to this, and once again, a naturally occurring theme for creatures that inhabit the lower levels of the ocean, their diets consume mostly of free-floating fish scales, fecal matter, and species which fall under the crustacean shrimp genus. As per most sea animals, the species does have the ability to "rest" by reducing their overall activity, but do not have the common tradition of land mammals that results in sleeping. The species presumably is kept energized by swimming, as they are undoubtedly crossing through currents which contain electric conductivity. This process is much alike normal fish species, which by swimming, allows them to stay hydrated as fresh water flows through their gills.

During the reproduction cycle for the species, a strategy wherein males possess specialized organs known as photophores, will emit bioluminescent signals which serve as a way to attract and potentially court a mate. Upon encountering a receptive female instance, the male instance approaches and transfers sperm packets, known as spermatophores, to the female's specialized pouch. This pouch, located near the cloaca, functions as a receptacle for the spermatophores, allowing the female to control the timing of fertilization. After copulation, the female can choose when to release the sperm and initiate the fertilization process.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License