SCP-6710
rating: +64+x
SCP-6710.png

SCP-6710 can be seen at the top right. Photo taken during the transfer of MTF Delta-9 to Site-32.

Item: SCP-6710

Object Class: Euclid

Special Containment Procedures: SCP-6710 manifestations should be monitored by the Mobile Task Force Delta-9 ("Katledoiscope Cloud"). In the event of an occurrence affecting a multitude of people, a process of disinformation and amnestization of those involved should be carried out as necessary.

In locations where SCP-6710 manifestations are more frequent, security perimeters should be established to ensure that no civilian witnesses SCP-6710 manifestations.

Description: SCP-6710 is a feline entity resembling a large Felis catus with whitish fur that inhabits the terrestrial troposphere1. Is able to levitate indefinitely by anomalous methods, with the ability to stay above the cluster of clouds. SCP-6710 has proven to be able to dematerialize and enter what has been called "Inactive State", and can stay in this state for approximately one to two years. When it enters "Active State" SCP-6710 appears in a location apparently selected2. 70 manifestations have been detected in the last 50 years.

The exact length of SCP-6710 has been impossible to determine due to the inability to approach it without disappearing; however, it is estimated that it can be 1.3 kilometers long. Attempts to view SCP-6710 using satellites and other methods from areas above the troposphere have resulted in blurred and inaccessible images. Through several interviewing sessions with SCP-6710, it has been determined that the subject is, to some point, aware of its environment and how it is affected by it.

When it approaches areas with an abundant human population, it has demonstrated to be able to pick out those who are able to visualize it, while the other subjects will only notice a cloud that they commonly describe as "Longer than usual". The way it chooses these individuals is still under investigation.

The Foundation's records and archives date the first sightings of SCP-6710 around 1950, when a sailor reported the sighting of "a huge cat in the clouds" off the coast of the United Kingdom. His companions denied it, explaining that the subject had spent "too much time in the solitude of the ocean". Other sightings have been recorded and dismissed as anomalous events until 1992 when a group of researchers flying from Florida to Madrid, Spain encountered the anomaly in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. SCP-6710 held a stare at the crew and then disappeared.

Following the incident, the actual Mobile Task Force Delta-9 "Katleidoscope Cloud" was established, and a search was performed to find stories related to the entity. The only other recent sighting alive was Jacobo Acosta, a former lighthouse keeper who worked for 22 years at the isolated Les Éclaireurs Lighthouse, located in Tierra del Fuego, Argentina. Jacobo mentioned on more than one occasion having lived with "A Cat in the Clouds" during his stay in his retirement home in an Argentinean town. On April 5, 2000, researcher Ema Eiros was sent to interview to find the relationship between SCP-6710 and Acosta.

Addendum 6710-1: Researcher Eiros met with Jacobo Acosta at his retirement home, introducing herself as a reporter who wanted to document his case. The interview has been translated from Spanish.

Jacobo.jpg

Jacobo Acosta at his 85 years. Photo taken by Researcher Ema Eiros.

Interviewed: Jacobo Acosta

Interviewer: Researcher Ema Eiros

<BEGIN LOG>

E. Eiros: Good morning Mr. Acosta, I am glad you accepted my invitation for the interview.

J. Acosta: My pleasure Miss Eiros, when you are my age you need to see a young face once in a while. You never know when the last one is going to be.

E. Eiros: If you don't mind, let's start this interview as soon as possible. When did you start working as a lighthouse keeper?

J. Acosta: Yeah, well. I had retired from my sailor days, back in the '60s. I was about 45 years old, then a couple of years later I got that job. It was kind of quiet, and even monotonous. But after facing the aggressive sea, I needed a long rest.

E. Eiros: Well, I'm surprised you worked so old. When were you retired from your position?

J. Acosta: I retired in '85, 22 years of service. I would have wanted it to be thirty.

E. Eiros: Did you like that job?

J. Acosta: I was raised not to be useless. Although yes, it has definitely been the job that I have been most fond of.

E. Eiros: Well, what was life like at the lighthouse?

J. Acosta: Life at the lighthouse? Well, doing the same routine over and over again can get boring, but I remember the afternoons when I would pull out my chair, sit in front of the sea with my pipe, and watch the calm water.

Acosta sighs as he plays with his fingers on the chair. There is a short pause.

J. Acosta: I remember it with affection, really.

E. Eiros: I see, I have heard that you had several strange experiences during your stay at the lighthouse, could you tell me about those events?

Acosta looks disconcerted at the researcher, looks nervous, and plays with the ring on his annular finger.

E. Eiros: If you don't like the question, we can skip it if you don't mind-.

J. Acosta: No, it's fine, let's continue.

E. Eiros: Fine with me then.

J. Acosta: Okay, well, you probably already know what people say around town about my stories. They don't want to listen to me because they haven't seen what I've seen. Will you at least listen to me?

E. Eiros: Believe me, I've seen a lot of things in this life, that's why I came to interview you.

J. Acosta: Thank goodness.

Acosta slowly gets up with the help of Researcher Eiros, takes her to a bookshelf, and begins to search through folders, until he finds what appears to be an old sketchbook. “1970 -1972” is engraved in black letters on the front cover.

E. Eiros: Oh, I didn't know you were a sketch artist.

J. Acosta: I learned a few in school. Then I took advantage of my free time to improve a little more. Come, look here.

SCP-6710drawing.png

Illustration of SCP-6710 by Jacobo Acosta.

Acosta shows page 16 to Researcher Eiros. A series of sketches showing SCP-6710 performing different actions can be seen, a scan of a page from the original book is attached next.

E. Eiros: It is a very nice cat.

J. Acosta: When it's the only company you have, you learn to detail it as he deserves.

E. Eiros: But how did you and the cat meet?

J. Acosta: Oh, one night he came in and stared at the lighthouse. I was awake and went out to observe the stars, I had not slept well for several days. He was there, still among the clouds, his eyes were looking at me, or looking at the lighthouse, I can no longer remember with precision.

E. Eiros: What was his attitude towards you?

J. Acosta: Oh, he just stared at me for a long moment and then turned to look at an approaching ship.

E. Eiros: That's all?

J. Acosta: He was always a very calm cat. Although he sometimes liked to play with the water. When there were large shoals near the surface, it would stick its small boat-sized paw in and stir the waters.

Acosta sighs and looks at the illustrations in his hands. There is silence for a couple of minutes.

J. Acosta: Sometimes I go out into the street on holidays, when children run wild and music is loud. I see the clouds and look for him among them.

He runs a hand over the notebook, his finger stills on the drawing that most closely details the feline's face. A few seconds pass in silence.

J. Acosta: I haven't found him for years.

E. Eiros: I see, I hope someday you can meet again. Did you ever try to communicate with him?

J. Acosta: The cat? Oh of course not, I was just passing the time watching him. When I drew him jumping through the clouds, he just turned for a moment to look at me, waved his paw at me, and jumped away. Sometimes he made noises and what noises! When he meowed, you felt the whole place vibrate, you could even see the clouds move. It was a bit impressive, but you got used to it.

E. Eiros: Curious, one would expect something more…spectacular.

J. Acosta: It was no big deal.

Acosta carefully closes the sketchbook.

J. Acosta: But he was a good cat.

E. Eiros: Nothing strange happened, something to let you know what the cat was?

Interviewed softly taps his chin with the edge of the sketchbook.

J. Acosta: Once he didn't show up for almost two years, until '82 when I saw him again, during the summer. He had frightened eyes; his deep blue eyes stared at me. He tried to go down to the water, he had done it before, but this time it was…different. He looked at his reflection in the sea. After a while, he got scared and tried to hit his reflection with all his strength. His punch splashed everywhere, he huffed loudly and ran away shortly after.

E. Eiros: Perhaps some sort of reaction to fear?

J. Acosta: I don't know, he looked more tired than usual. And it was the first time I saw his claws.

E. Eiros: Quite interesting.

Acosta offers the sketchbook to Researcher Eiros.

J. Acosta: Here, it will be useful for your research. Just take good care of it, please.

E. Eiros: Thank you very much, Mr. Acosta. To conclude, when was the last time you saw him?

J. Acosta: I never knew when the last time was, he just stopped showing up one day and I didn't think much about it until now. When I was removed from the position, I swear I could see him out of the corner of my eye, a single instant, a moment that I keep in my memory very strongly.

Acosta invites researcher Eiros to a cup of mate, the rest of the conversation was omitted due to superfluous data.

<END LOG>

Closing Statement: Class B amnestics were administered to Jacobo Acosta, the individual's usefulness for future research has been discarded due to his advanced age. Researcher Ema Eiros has proposed to begin a search protocol for other subjects who have had similar contact with SCP-6710. The Mobile Task Force Delta-9 has been assigned to this task.

Other attempts to find subjects related to the anomaly have not yielded conclusive results.





Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License