SCP-669
rating: +84+x

Item #: SCP-669

Object Class: Safe

Special Containment Procedures: SCP-669 is to be kept in a lead-lined safety deposit on Site-19. Any personnel to be granted access to SCP-669 must have completed a training session led by an individual with 2/669 clearance.

Following Incident 669-1, SCP-669 is to be encased in a Faraday cage vessel consisting of a grounded copper shell, and slotted alumina inserts holding the item in place. SCP-669 is to be removed from containing vessel only in designated testing area, so as not to interfere with Site-19 electronics.

Description: SCP-669 is a sphere of radius 2.6cm, resembling a large bearing. When inactive, SCP-669 weighs approximately 560g. The surface of SCP-669 contains numerous sites of corrosion and pitting, as well as remains of a cadmium blue paint. The surface temperature of SCP-669 appears to vary between 32.1 and 33.8 degrees Celsius - this appears independent of the temperature and thermal conductivity of its surroundings.

The composition of SCP-669 is currently unknown; the surface of SCP-669 indicates its composition to be mild carbon steel, however, its density, as well as inertia testing data suggests a non-uniform internal structure.

SCP-669 activates when placed within 54 cm of any object larger than itself, and set into motion. While active, SCP-669 appears to lack gravitational mass - instead it describes an orbit around the object at one of a set of distances up to 54 cm from the object's surface.1 Collisions with an object larger than itself cause SCP-669 to relocate into orbit around the colliding object.

If SCP-669 is exposed to a suitable light source of sufficient brightness (see Experiment Log-669), it proceeds to move into the next further orbit. If no such orbit exists, SCP-669 will either deactivate, or proceed to fly at a tangent to its original orbit until colliding with another suitable object.

Pushing SCP-669 into an orbit closer to an object it orbits requires a force of approximately 50N, and is accompanied by a brief photoemission of seemingly random frequency from SCP-669's surface.

Recovery Log: SCP-669 was recovered from the depositary of Istanbul Modern Art Museum on April 4, 195█ having been previously exposed in the annual "Current Eastern European Sculpture" retrospective, as a part of an exhibit titled "Rutherfordian Atom - A Didactic Perspective".2 SCP-669 was not listed in that exhibition's catalog and neither its purported artist, one G█████ P█████████████, nor "Lomonosov-Makarenko Institute for Scientific and Political Education" appear to figure in any official records.

Incident 669-1:

On ██/██/196█ during the course of an experiment led by Researcher Arnold Scheiner, SCP-669 deactivated after a minor collision. Within 15 seconds of reactivation, SCP-669 suddenly developed an electric field sufficient to strip electrons from objects within a radius of approximately half a metre, resulting in the death of Researcher Scheiner, and extensive damage to electronic devices in the laboratory and adjacent areas. Containment procedures updated.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License