SCP-6684
  • rating: +19+x

Title%20Block%20One

SCP-6684

Item #: SCP-6684

Object Class: Safe

Special Containment Procedures: This object has been acquired through purchase exceeding the budget of its acquisitions team. The use of profits generated by the object to recoup losses is approved barring significant incident.

As anomalous effects largely target persons with legal title to the object, legal title to the object must be maintained by ten appointed interns who will serve as Partners in the legal “ownership" of 6684 as well as manage locations and facilitate conversion events. Appointed Partners (6684-0 or “Taggers”) must show compatibility with the object’s anti-authoritarian “brand.”

No new locations of 6684-2 are to be opened at this time, and any locations closing at the time of purchase are to be decommissioned using Protocol 80. Online sales of the object’s merchandise are allowable if second hand, with all first-hand sales strictly confined to 6684-2 locations. The object is to remain known to the public with only its associated anomaly subject to containment procedures. Loyal patrons of locations are in favor of them remaining small and “niche” assuring civilian compliance.

6684-2 locations are to receive thirty pallets of donated, overstock or damaged merchandise bought in bulk, per quarter. Merchandise must consist of at least 80% casual wear. Locations are to clear out stock on a monthly basis and replace it with delivered merchandise scheduled for conversion into 6684-3. Partners (Taggers) must apply a 6684 label to at least one merchandise item on display in order to affect a conversion. 6684-3 instances that are stolen, gifted, lost, or in some way donated, though still bearing the seal of the object, are to be considered neutralized.

Personnel managing 6684-2 locations must be in the eighteen to thirty age brackets, with the exception of older persons well versed in current youth-culture and trends. Shrinkage1at these locations must not be met with prosecution, or excessive force. Violent perpetrators may be dealt with using Protocol 9.

Partners exhibit a tendency to engage in exploration and loitering in the buildings where their 6684-2 locations reside. Support staff has been given the authority to order their Taggers to remain in their respective locations during business hours.

Description: SCP-6684 is a trademark bearing the name Florin’s Apparel. Persons with legally recognized ownership of the trade mark are able to produce 6684-3 instances by applying it to clothing, accessories, gifts, or cosmetics. Persons without legal title to the trademark produce no anomalous effects when using the label.

6684-3 instances are clothes, gifts and accessories that appear “brand-new” and thematic of the Florin’s brand after the application of a Florin’s “Daisy Dog” label. Conversion is gradual, requiring up to eight hours for some items. Soiled and damaged items will exhibit reverse ageing and wear until having achieved an entirely new appearance and “factory-fresh” smell. It is at this point that secondary effects appear. Secondary effects may be changes in color, patterns or packaging type and serve to theme the instance to the Florin’s brand.

6684-2 is a retail space purchased or rented for the purpose of housing a Florin’s store. Items placed inside a Florin’s store can be converted into 6684-3 instances in bulk when a Partner applies a tag to a single item. For a successful mass-conversion event to occur scheduled items must be overstocks, donations or otherwise ruined items deemed unsalable by other entities. (For Unsuccessful Conversion Events – see Addendum 2)

A reluctance of civilian maintenance staff to attend 6684-2 locations may be due to interference by the object. This is rarely attributed to abnormal activity, frequently mentioned are “possums” and “raccoons.”

Florin’s stores have recently downsized from over fifty locations, to ten. All extant locations are found in large, under-occupied, enclosed shopping centers, (Dead Malls) throughout the US, where they enjoy a small but dedicated clientele. While not typically considered an anchor store,26684-2 is known for its ability to draw modest traffic to underserved areas. This has proven to be non-anomalous.

Note - New messages appearing suddenly on 6684-3 instances in the vicinity of Partners have been interpreted as attempts by 6684 to communicate. All attempts to formally interview 6684 have been met with mild hostility. Partners are ordered not to engage the object in conversation and to report all “strange messages” to their foundation handlers.

Discovery: Purchases of surplus clothes donations and acquisitions of flood-damaged dry goods by the Offices of Marshal, Carter, and Dark prompted an investigation into its uncharacteristic activities. Agents found the current owners eager to sell the brand and an unapproved transaction occurred. The Acquisitions Supervisor responsible for misuse of funds was suspended from any and all financial duties, pending evaluation.

The documents of sale describe an object capable of turning used and waste fabrics into ready retail merchandise, but contained no warnings as to the object’s preferences or possible sentience.

Experiment Log

Selected results of tests conducted to confirm the object’s function, and to determine suitability for partial containment off-site. Ownership was voluntarily surrendered by the Acquisitions Supervisor and transferred to the Partners. Tests of the object were conducted by Dr. Spencer Kegans, with the assistance of Site Intern Samiya Starr hence referred to as “Tagger 10.”

Addendum 2 - An "Unsuccessful Conversion Event" will only result from an attempted Mass-Conversion of items inside a Florin’s store. Conversion of a single item outside of a store will seldom exhibit discernible effect if conversion “fails.”

During an "Unsuccessful Conversion Event", items will transition normally until the last half-hour of conversion, at this point, storefront shutters of a Florin’s location will quickly descend and converted items produce large quantities of human blood. DNA testing confirms bleeds are all consistent with the same individual. Back exits, if present, have been observed to unlock to allow for escape of store occupants. The presence of civilian customers has been observed to delay these events.

MAIL - MESSAGE ONE

FROM: SUPERVISOR BEING ACCUSED OF MISUSE OF FUNDS!!!!
TO: Site Director, Judy Baker
TOPIC: Purchase of SCP-6684

Yes, I know. You should never – ever – assume that you fully understand these things.

Meanwhile we’ve got literal kaiju eating us out of house and home. This thing is only occasionally a little icky and fully capable of earning its own keep. So we were a couple million over budget, so a pretentious GOI is even richer, big deal. Simply buying that thing off the MC&D goons killed no one and brought 6684 safely into foundation custody.

The object creates money, it’s technically a business that turns junk into sellable, non-anomalous merch. A guy with a warehouse in Florida paid me to arrange the hauling of three tons of old jeans, jeans I ran through the big location in Boston and put on the racks at near 100% profit. Another guy had some shirts that just weren’t worth his trouble. We sold the cheapest Emo duds on the East coast and made bank. 10% of the cost of this thing is knocked out already. We could have recouped our losses over time, instead your people had to go and close the best locations. The others are in ghost towns. Why was I even given access to those emergency funds if I wasn’t allowed to use them?

Acquisitions Supervisor,

Trevor Berryhill

MAIL - MESSAGE TWO

FROM: Site Director, Judy Baker
TO: Acquisitions Supervisor, Trevor Berryhill
TOPIC: Re: Purchase of SCP-6684

Good morning Trevor,

The situation with 6684 was not an emergency at the time. It was billed a safe item in the care of a relatively discrete and predictable – if sleazy, group of interest, though new information has challenged that conclusion.

We looked into how the Offices of Marshal, Carter and Dark acquired the object and were able to secure documents describing a “Florin’s Fabrics” in New York, purchased by the Offices in 1926. The small store purportedly sold “enchanted” formal wear to wealthy and famous clients but whatever specific anomaly affected the original product line is currently unknown. References to an entity keeping unwanted persons out of the store mention a “hound.” At some point, for some reason, the aesthetic of this thing changed from one of time-honored prestige to that of youth-in-revolt. This doesn’t sound like a change the Offices would have instituted.

The shop and its associated brand name were a bargain when the Offices acquired them, as they needed to be sold covertly and quickly because of a scandal involving the owner being accused of negligence in a hit-and-run. The victim turned out to be his nephew. Where this goes next is very concerning.

The specifics of what exactly happened to the two older men are uncertain. It seems their powerful families covered most of it up. I gave Kyle the go-ahead to test the "Explosive" blood samples. DNA from two new individuals was found - neither related to the first. Explosive events are not a memorial, they're a threat at the very least. It stands to reason that I must repeat myself,

Always be mindful,

Judy

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License