SCP-6575
rating: +42+x
Item №: SCP-6575 Level 4/6575
Object Class: Keter Classified

smokeonthewater.png

SCP-6575 event in progress. [FURTHER CONTEXT REDACTED]

Special Containment Procedures:

Containment Notice

Information about SCP-6575 is known to be harmful to individuals with conventionally aligned rational paradigms. As such, certain parts of the SCP-6575 file are only accessible to members of the Department of Surrealistics. Additionally, certain parts of the SCP-6575 file may appear illogical or redundant. This is by design.

Direct containment of SCP-6575 is currently infeasible; however, immediate response to SCP-6575 events is sufficient to mitigate their effects. The Department of Surrealistics has been tasked with conducting research on SCP-6575, coordinating SCP-6575 response operations and developing predictive models of SCP-6575 events. This file is maintained as a joint operation between the Surrealistics Department and its assigned Foundation liaisons.

Mobile Task Force Nu-1 ("Chainsmokers") has been enlisted to respond to SCP-6575 events. Members of MTF Nu-1 are to possess a Cognitive Resistance Value (CRV)1 of 2 at most, as well as experience operating in low-gravity environments. Upon confirmation of a SCP-6575 event, MTF Nu-1 members are to immediately establish a provisional outpost at sea level in the affected location before proceeding into SCP-6575-1 and executing Procedure 6575/BACKDRAFT.

Members of Nu-1 are not permitted to fully comprehend Procedure 6575/BACKDRAFT under any circumstances. Detailed knowledge of the procedure is restricted to Surrealistics Department personnel, who are to periodically establish contact with Nu-1 members while they are within SCP-6575-1 and disseminate either relevant or irrelevant details. In the absence of direct guidance, Nu-1 members are advised to act on instinct rather than logical reasoning when possible.

Following the procedure’s completion and the cessation of the SCP-6575 event, all direct witnesses to SCP-6575 — including members of MTF Nu-1 — are to be detained. They are to be kept in custody until they have been confirmed to lack any knowledge relevant to the containment of SCP-6575. Following this, civilian witnesses may be given amnestics and standard operations may resume.

Description: [CLASSIFIED LEVEL ഗ/6575]

Addendum 6575.01: Containment History

The history of SCP-6575 is difficult to safely comprehend or record in a legible format. It is known that, due to a poor understanding of the anomaly, early SCP-6575 events caused high civilian casualties and severe damage to local reality. Containment efforts were frequently impeded by fatal semantic disassociation and [CLASSIFIED LEVEL ഗ/6575] eversion of Foundation personnel. The primary focus of containment was eventually shifted to informational quarantine. While successful at reducing casualties, these measures proved mostly ineffective in abating SCP-6575's harmful influence on reality.

Additionally, it was determined that SCP-6575 events [CLASSIFIED LEVEL ഗ/6575]. The gradual propagation of [CLASSIFIED LEVEL ഗ/6575] throughout the Noosphere2 was projected to lead to a total containment failure within one year.

At the peak of SCP-6575 activity, an emergency summit was called between department heads to discuss alternate containment procedures for SCP-6575, O5-2 presiding. During this summit, Surrealistics Director Marcel Sequitur proposed [CLASSIFIED LEVEL ഗ/6575]. Due to a lack of other viable options, Dir. Sequitur's proposal was accepted. Field testing proved it to be fully effective in negating SCP-6576 events, after which it was further refined into Procedure 6575/BACKDRAFT.

The current SCP-6575 containment procedures were developed and put into operation over the following two months, reducing SCP-6575 activity to acceptable levels.

Addendum 6575.02: Procedure 6575/BACKDRAFT

[CLASSIFIED LEVEL ഗ/6575]

The mechanism by which Procedure 6575/BACKDRAFT forces the cessation of a SCP-6575 event is unknown. It is theorized that conventional rational thought is near-completely incompatible with the structure of Procedure 6575/BACKDRAFT. Due to this, information related to the procedure naturally self-disposes from most human minds after it is performed. However, Procedure 6575/BACKDRAFT does not result in lasting physical or psychological harm to participating personnel; the only side effect observed is a reduction in proprioceptive skills lasting 1-2 days.

Note that injuries and death can still occur within SCP-6575-1 from sources unrelated to Procedure 6575/BACKDRAFT.

Addendum 6575.03: SCP-6575 Event Log

In order to aid Foundation personnel in comprehending SCP-6575 as fully as possible, the Surrealistics Department has provided a partial transcript of a MTF Nu-1 expedition into SCP-6575-1 during which Procedure 6575/BACKDRAFT was performed. Stylistic discrepancies are intentional. Hazardous portions of the transcript have been excised.3

Attending Personnel: N1-Charlie (Captain), N1-Foxtrot, Command

Foreword: Good old Charlie is highly experienced in conducting Procedure 6575/BACKDRAFT. They lack memories of the nitty-gritty, of course, but muscle memory and a bit of good old anomalous elbow grease fills in the gaps. Foxtrot, on the other hand, is still wet behind the ears — pardon the partial pun. Let's see how they do, shall we?


[BEGIN LOG]

(Charlie and Foxtrot stand on a shore somewhere, looking out over the [CLASSIFIED LEVEL ഗ/6575] that used to be the ocean. Foxtrot lets out a breath through clenched teeth. The inside of her respirator fogs up.)

N1-Charlie: Something wrong?

N1-Foxtrot: I don't know. What were those drugs Command told us to take? N—… Nostics?

N1-Charlie: Gnostics. G's silent. They kicking in?

N1-Foxtrot: I feel… (Pauses) Something between my temples.

N1-Charlie: Are you sure?

N1-Foxtrot: I— Yeah, completely. Why wouldn't I be?

N1-Charlie: They're kicking in. Let's go.

N1-Foxtrot: Alright, alright. What are the protocols for—

(Command contacts Charlie and Foxtrot through their handheld transceivers, just to be polite.)

Command: G'day!

N1-Foxtrot: Jesus!

Command: Flattered, but I'm not messiah material. Shall we get on with this containmentation operation?

N1-Foxtrot: (Irritated) Some warning might have been nice…

N1-Charlie: That's not how the Surrealistics work. Alright, boss, what's our first move?

Command: It's simple. Both of you turn around, walk away from this frankly quite scary anomaly, head back home and get nice and cozy in your beds.

N1-Foxtrot: … What?

Command: (Cheerfully) All according to BACKDRAFT!

(Foxtrot stares down at her transceiver. She looks up to see Charlie already walking towards the not-ocean, and blanches in shock.)

N1-Foxtrot: Hold on, but Command said—

N1-Charlie: (Without looking back) Didn't you read the conprocs?

N1-Foxtrot: What?

N1-Charlie: The conprocs. Instinct over reasoning. Trust your gut. If what Command is saying doesn't make sense, we're allowed to ignore it. This is a test; don't let yourself fail.

(Charlie is now waist-deep in the [CLASSIFIED LEVEL ഗ/6575]. They continue to walk deeper. Foxtrot stands and stares after them; before long, she runs to catch up. Command watches with satisfaction.)

[CLASSIFIED LEVEL ഗ/6575]

Command: — want to move in a rough spiral shape. Not smooth, smooth is no good. You'll want it rough as sandpaper, maybe sticky as flypaper too.

N1-Foxtrot: (Incredulously) This is the procedure?

N1-Charlie: Yeah. You’re starting to doubt it, right? Get rid of that doubt, just listen.

Command: Think of those neat S-thingies you used to draw in middle school. Imagine you're walking along one of those, or swimming in it like a great zigzaggy wave pool, if that's more your style. Imagine the pool's getting deeper — not just deeper downwards, but sideways too. Like a spiral with four points, digging into your pineal—

(Command continues to speak ad nauseam. Foxtrot grips her head with both hands.)

N1-Foxtrot: This— I don't understand this! What are they asking us to do? We're in the middle of a, a sea of [CLASSIFIED LEVEL ഗ/6575], and Command is babbling about wave pools!

N1-Charlie: Foxtrot, you knew what you were getting into when you signed up for this.

N1-Foxtrot: I wasn't… Not this! This is insanity!

(Charlie grabs Foxtrot by the shoulders and shakes her. They look her in the eyes with a steely glare.)

N1-Charlie: That's the point. Now shut up and stop thinking so hard about it. Like I said — get rid of your doubt. Be certain. Take the parts that make most sense and just let them in. It’s easier that way.

N1-Foxtrot: I… (Breathing deeply) Okay.

(Charlie releases their partner, patting her on the shoulder once. Visibility worsens. The speed of their descent begins to increase. A crackling sound is faintly audible, but neither comment on it.)

N1-Charlie: Good. Keep it together.

(The crackling sound grows in volume. The four-pointed spiral digs deeper.)

[CLASSIFIED LEVEL ഗ/6575]

N1-Foxtrot: It's like… swimming through molasses. Or cotton balls.

N1-Charlie: Yeah. Don't look behind you. I think there's usually something around here…

N1-Foxtrot: Shouldn't we be… I mean, by now, sea level—

Command: Oh, is it already that time?

(Command checks their antique pocketwatch from the safety of their comfortable armchair. They laugh in pleasant surprise.)

Command: So it is! Next dose of Gnostics, chop chop! You'll need them to get deeper than this.

N1-Foxtrot: Ugh, these make my head feel so

[CLASSIFIED LEVEL ഗ/6575]

N1-Charlie: Sorry— Underneath the darkest pillar of the four, or around it?

Command: That's for you to figure out, my young proteges.

N1-Charlie: Got it.

(Charlie turns to Foxtrot. The latter blinks uncomprehendingly.)

N1-Charlie: Foxtrot. They said proteges, plural. I want your input.

N1-Foxtrot: My— Ah…

(Foxtrot surveys the area, moving hesitantly. She waves her hand through the darkest pillar. As expected, it has no physical substance.)

N1-Foxtrot: I think… Through. (More certain) Yeah. We go through.

N1-Charlie: (Nods.) Come on.

[CLASSIFIED LEVEL ഗ/6575]

Command: Depth check!

N1-Charlie: (Automatically) 3000 fathoms.

N1-Foxtrot: I'd ask how that's possible when the [CLASSIFIED LEVEL ഗ/6575] only 2045 fathoms, but when we're dealing with anomalies…

N1-Charlie: Yeah.

Command: Don't you worry your heads off about it, I didn't mean literal depth.

N1-Charlie: (Pauses) I—

Command: And I already knew the answer. Not deep enough.

[CLASSIFIED LEVEL ഗ/6575]

N1-Charlie: Darker—

N1-Foxtrot: Samirah, spare a light—

Command: Don't let it get in through your ears, now!

[CLASSIFIED LEVEL ഗ/6575]

N1-Foxtrot: [CLASSIFIED LEVEL ഗ/6575]

N1-Charlie: [CLASSIFIED LEVEL ഗ/6575]

(Someone does something. Command checks their watch.)

Command: We're right on schedule, and you're almost to the bottom. Oh, watch out for falling ideas. If you get hit, that'll fuck the whole Procedure up and we'll have to start over.

N1-Charlie: [CLASSIFIED LEVEL ഗ/6575]

Command: Language!

[CLASSIFIED LEVEL ഗ/6575]

N1-Charlie: S-s-sometimes it's hard to tell where a star is, but you'll always know where it isn't—

N1-Foxtrot: Stay with me! STAY WITH ME!

[CLASSIFIED LEVEL ഗ/6575]

(The surrounding area has become extremely dense, limiting visibility. N1-Foxtrot stares at a point in front of her. N1-Charlie is suspended at this point, unmoving. Their head is tilted back and their respirator floats off to the side, revealing that their mouth is open unusually wide. Thick, dark smoke is issuing slowly from within their throat. Their eyes appear to lack pupils or irises.)

N1-Foxtrot: Charlie… Charlie, wake up.

(Silence.)

Command: Ooh, that's not pretty.

N1-Foxtrot: Command?! What— Where have you— We need immediate extraction, medical attention, something— (Gestures frantically) Look at Charlie!

Command: Sorry to say, Foxtrot, the Procedure's just about done. You've done great work, really stellar! We're all quite proud of you back here. There's only one thing left to do. You need to swim back up.

N1-Foxtrot: (Pauses) And leave Charlie?

Command: Just so you know, the archons are famished. Probably a good idea to clear out sooner rather than later — I think you have better places to be than inside one of their stomachs. Unpleasant decor, I'll have you know—

N1-Foxtrot: You want me to leave them to die?

Command: Oh, no, Charlie's not dying. Conceptual eversion is a tad bit worse, actually.

(Silence.)

Command: But you do need to leave them.

(Silence.)

Command: Fox—

N1-Foxtrot: No.

Command: Pardon?

N1-Foxtrot: (Shouting) I said no! I'm not leaving them! You can sit up there and prattle on about that Procedure all you want. To hell with that. I know what's right.

(Visibility slightly improves. The smoke surrounding N1-Foxtrot ripples.)

N1-Foxtrot: You wanted me to be certain. Trust my gut. My gut's saying to save them.

Command: (Incredulous silence.)

N1-Foxtrot: (Breathing heavily) Command, I—

Command: You're crazy, Foxtrot.

(Silence.)

Command: (Laughing.) And of course, from us, that's a compliment! By all means, give it your best shot. We'll be waiting!

(Command cuts contact, just to be polite.)

(Foxtrot wipes her forehead, then reaches out to Charlie's face and closes their mouth gently with her hand. The stream of smoke begins to thin. She hooks her arms underneath Charlie's shoulders and heaves. She moves to swim upwards with her partner in tow, looking up at the surface as she ascends. The dark, serpentine shapes of the archons circle — but far, far above, there is sunlight, filtering down.)

[END LOG]

In spite of N1-Foxtrot's apparent deviation from Procedure 6575/BACKDRAFT, the procedure worked as expected in this instance, forcing the cessation of the SCP-6575 event. Following their emergence from SCP-6575-1, N1-Charlie and N1-Foxtrot were taken into custody by the Surrealistics Department for one week, during which N1-Charlie was treated for [CLASSIFIED LEVEL ഗ/6575] and made a full recovery. Both agents lost all memory of the specifics of Procedure 6575/BACKDRAFT as normal.

Director Marcel Sequitur was contacted for any possible insight on the events of the above log. His response consisted of a single sentence, which has been appended below.

What can I say? Sometimes the right decision isn't always the one that makes sense.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License