SCP-6522
rating: +21+x
definitely-not-a-fungus.jpg

A portion of SCP-6522

Item #: SCP-6522

Threat Level: Green

Object Class: Safe

Special Containment Procedures: SCP-6522 is protected from civilian interaction by a 2-m tall chain-link fence fitted with surveillance cameras. In case of suspicious behavior from intruders, a security team must be dispatched from the nearest Foundation outpost in Mays Landing, New Jersey, and the intruders interrogated.

Description: SCP-6522 is a quaking aspen (Populus tremuloides) colony spanning 3.54 km² located in Atlantic County, New Jersey, United States. Like all Populus colonies, SCP-6522 is composed entirely of clones sharing the same genetic material and a massive, connected root system. This root system is thought to have been used by a Group of Interest for anomalous computation, by controlling the transduction of electrical signals along the roots in order to use the entire colony as a massive electronic circuit. While electrical impulses naturally travel along the roots of plants, in the case of SCP-6522, the amount, distribution and fluctuation of these impulses throughout the system points to outside interference.

This computing power is believed to have been dedicated to mining anomalous cryptocurrency and more specifically non-fungible tokens (NFT).1 Electrical records show that information travels through the system from north-west to south-east, therefore, if any data inputting or outputting device is present, it should be positioned along this axis. No such structure has been found at surface level or underground: hence, the information input and output gateways could be thaumaturgical, ethereal or intangible.

Addendum: Technical information

The fluctuations of SCP-6522's activity are correlated to the price fluctuations of an anomalous cryptocurrency known as unXplain'd (code UXP) on occult internet forums. Its current exchange rate is cited as 98,56 US$/UXP and it "may only be mined using paranormal technology." Very little is known about this cryptocurrency, as SCP-6522 is the only system which has been linked to UXP with certainty.

Addendum: History and recovery

SCP-6522 has been linked to the activity of a group known as the Abnormality Amateurs Association. The AAA is an small, unprofessional organization which engages in anomalous activities for recreational purposes. Despite usually operating in metropolitan France, AAA members had traveled to New Jersey in July 2022. Below is a transcribed conversation regarding SCP-6522 recovered from a member's cell phone.

In the following weeks, members of the AAA consulted with several Groups of Interest in order to acquire anomalous technology which could aid them in their goals. Due to the AAA's poor knowledge of anomalous markets, the selected Groups of Interest were not overly competent in this field.

Addendum: July 2022 UXP collapse and followup

On 2022/07/25, the sales of UXP-based non-fungible tokens began to stall due to a lack of new investors, prompting token owners to drastically reduce their prices. This further degraded potential investors' opinions of the market, accelerating its collapse. Occult brokers stopped listing UXP, so cashing out for non-anomalous currency such as the US dollar was made impossible. Anomalous items were found strewn across streets in many cities after their owners abandoned them out of spite. Below is a transcribed conversation between AAA members regarding this matter, recovered from a member's cell phone.

Zhang Yuzhao was apprehended three days later at the Atlantic City airport in possession of an AAA member's cell phone. By this time, the AAA had already deserted the location of SCP-6522. No further information could be revealed about any of the involved People of Interest. The creator of the UXP cryptocurrency remains unidentified.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License