SCP-6485
rating: +22+x

Item#: 6485
Level1
Containment Class:
keter
Secondary Class:
none
Disruption Class:
ekhi
Risk Class:
notice

bear2.png

An instance of SCP-6485, currently self-containing.

Special Containment Procedures: Due to the large number of SCP-6485 instances distributed worldwide and the very nature of the anomaly, it is currently impossible to contain SCP-6485. Following extensive research into subjects exposed to SCP-6485 and the constant and continuous monitoring of an SCP-6485 instance, SCP-6485 has been deemed safe to remain self-containing as it poses no threat and greatly improves the mental state and morale of any subject who interacts with it.

Foundation webcrawlers are to routinely search any online forums and message boards for any mentions of SCP-6485 instances, which are to be analysed to better ascertain the nature of their distribution and further pinpoint their location for further analysis. Tracker chips are to be shipped out to all international branches of Site-851 and other Foundation sites to be further redistributed to all known subjects of SCP-6485. All sites are to then further monitor their respective countries' discovered instances. Any reports of SCP-6485 manifestations that are captured by security camera feeds, photographs or alike are to be investigated, and all footage relating to SCP-6485 such as news reports, videos or similar are to be confiscated or taken down. Should an SCP-6485 instance manifest in public, MTF-Tau-87 ("Worldwide Hugs") are to be dispatched and all secondhand witnesses among civilian populace are to be traced down and amnesticized.

Should any instances of SCP-6485 manifest to any Foundation personnel, they are to report to their site's respective containment specialists for specific containment procedures. A list of specialised containment procedures for all instances of SCP-6485 belonging to Foundation personnel can be accessed here.

Description: SCP-6485 is a toy that manifests approximately an hour after one's expiration, often to the deceased's closest family members and friends. It has no fixed appearance but generally appears as a stuffed animal or doll, typically taking the form of the deceased's favourite toy from their adolescence. Testing confirms that SCP-6485’s composition and physical appearance are non-discernible from similar non-sapient toys.

SCP-6485 exhibits signs of sapience, is able to move on its own accord and communicate via a range of gestures or writing. It has also been observed to have heightened reflexes and an unexplained knowledge of a subject’s likes and dislikes.

SCP-6485 is also capable of demanifesting and remanifesting itself2, which only stops when it deems the subject to have gained closure over their loved one's death. It also does so when a subject actively attempts to harm themselves or experience significant emotional distress. Upon the complete destruction of SCP-6485, it will remanifest next to its subject.

Upon manifestation, SCP-6485 has been observed in its behaviour to express affection by bringing items3, cooking simple dishes of the subject’s preference as well as forms of hugs and pats. It is also able to produce physical childhood pictures of the deceased's past, even when they were previously destroyed. While it has its own consciousness, it may follow orders given to it by subjects if it deems it necessary for them to move on from their family member's or friend's death.

Prolonged exposure to SCP-6485 will cause a subject's mental state and morale to improve greatly and gain closure faster than people who are not exposed to SCP-6485.

Research has indicated that SCP-6485 instances are more likely to appear to individuals who:
· Are parents/guardians of the deceased.
· Are siblings of the deceased.
· Are close friends of the deceased.
· Have lost their child/sibling/friend due to an accident, long-time illness or suicide
· Have lost their significant other due to an accident, long-time illness or suicide

Discovery: After Junior Researcher Charlie Upston's death on 20/11/2020, an instance of SCP-6485, taking the form of a teddy bear (picture above) was discovered when a researcher was dispatched to his mother's house to inform her of his death a week after. It was at that point that her SCP-6485 instance was discovered helping with some chores4. Following Site Director Light's request, she has agreed to accompany Foundation personnel to Site-85 for further testing and observation.

Addendum 6485.1: Following the discovery of, and further research into SCP-6485, an archived Reddit thread on r/nostupidquestions was discovered, with targets of the anomaly detailing their experiences with their own instances of SCP-6485. At the time of posting, it reached 6.4 thousand upvotes and stayed in "hot" for two days. A transcription of the thread is available below:

Title: Have any of you seen your child's soft toy come to life?

Posted by: u/octopusfan65

Posted on: 9/12/2019

Post contents: I'm not sure if it's just my imagination or not so I just wanted to make sure.


u/annielee2003: Not my child, but a keychain belonging to my boyfriend. I found it on my hospital bed after a motorcycle accident we got into the night of his JC graduation that claimed his life. It was just a little pink bear toy that he attached to his keys, but he loved it like it was his child sia. I think at one point i was even jealous of it haha

I didn't understand why he loved it so much, but after his death, i cared so much for it as it was my last memory of him.

From what i can see from yall here, i don't think i was hallucinating from grief when i saw it moving and trying to talking to me. It also encouraged me to see his family to cry together, and even shared its own memories of him, with me. It actually helped turn a horrible memory to a bittersweet one.

Typing this thru my tears rn, I love and miss you every day Richard.

u/darrenb: Yeah, it was a small dove toy that appeared after my daughter’s death. I think it said it appeared maybe 30 to 40 mins after she died, but I only really noticed it when I was at the hospital. Thought I was goin crazy til I went to a parents support group and saw a few others with smth similar

Idk if this is what you’re looking for, but based on what I’ve seen from all yall’s responses, I figured my experience is similar enough to share

u/aliceinwl76: Yes, it happened after my baby Ronan’s death. It was a little plastic fisherman and boat toy we got from a cruise trip which he played with all the time. He always had a fascination with boats, and since we lived next to a riverbank, he’d go there to play with it almost everyday. Our house wasn’t too far off from town but it was far enough that we’d have some privacy, but when a fire broke out, the fire department couldn’t locate us in time.

I thought that the toy was destroyed during the fire like all his other stuff, but when I got back from the hospital, it was sitting at the place where his room once was, undamaged and on top all of the rubble. When I picked it up and took a closer look, I realised the fisherman was moving and trying to get my attention. I remember dropping it out of shock causing it to shatter, but it fixed itself up before I could register what had happened. I decided to just play along because what else did I have to lose? And as silly as it is, it actually helped me come to terms with his death and slowly move on from it.

As for now, it always seems to be by my side, which is good. I mean, it’s on my desk staring at me while I write this out. I don’t know what I’d do if I lost it. It’s the only thing I have left of Ronan.

Following the discovery of the thread, u/octopusfan65 (real name "Dolores Brown") was contacted and brought to Site-85 for an interview.

Interview Log 6485.1


Interviewed: Dolores Brown (referred to as "Ms. Brown")

Interviewee: Dr. Jonas


[BEGIN LOG]

octopus

Ms. Brown's instance of SCP-6485, currently self-containing.

Dr. Jonas enters the room with two cups of coffee and hands one over to Ms. Brown.

Dr. Jonas: Good morning, Ms. Brown. Is there anything else you would like me to get you?

Ms. Brown: Good morning to you too, and no, coffee’s fine.

Dr. Jonas: Ok then. I'm Dr. Jonas and today, I’ll be asking you some questions about a thread on Reddit that you posted. All your responses will be completely confidential and will only be shared within my team, so feel free to share frankly. This interview should last about 20 minutes, and if there are any topics you feel uncomfortable discussing, please let me know and we can move on to a different question. Now, before we begin, is there anything you'd like to ask?

Ms. Brown shakes her head.

Dr. Jonas: To get started, do you remember what you posted last year?

Ms. Brown: I think so, are you referring to my post on "nostupidquestions"?

Dr. Jonas: Yes-

Ms. Brown: I see.

Dr. Jonas: How did you know what I was talking about?

Ms. Brown: It is the only post I have there.

Dr. Jonas: Why did you post it?

Ms. Brown: I found it moving around and trying to talk to me. I didn't know whether I was hallucinating from my grief or not, so I just decided to post it. I posted it on my throwaway account as I didn't want relatives to snoop around and find out "octopusfan" was me, because god, they are fucking insensitive. After I got the answers I was looking for, I just forgot about it until you contacted me about it.

Dr. Jonas: Could you tell me more about how you found it and what happened after?

Ms. Brown: I… I found his octopus on my bed a day after his death and when I saw it, I just started crying. I don’t really know why… maybe it was just the memories coming back when I saw it, but I thought I was alone and I thought I had some privacy, so I vented to the air on how it was unfair. How it was unfair that my son had to go through so much suffering when he was born, how it was unfair that he had to… leave… early, how it was unfair that he was taken so soon from my husband and I. Then, I started to remember the memories I had with my boy… my sweet, little Justin.

Ms. Brown pauses for a few seconds and sighs.

Sorry… I-

Dr. Jonas: It’s fine, it’s fine, take your time.

Ms. Brown: When I stopped crying, I noticed that the octopus had moved next to me. It was looking at me and that was when I realised it was moving and, I assume, trying to talk to me. I was terrified, to say the least. After I calmed down, I tried talking to it, and it seemed like it could understand me. I gave it some paper and pencils and that was how we communicated from then on. I didn’t know what to do or who to go to, so I decided to use my alt to ask “nostupidquestions”.

Dr. Jonas: What did the octopus do to you?

Ms. Brown: Initially, it gave me some company by staying with me. It stayed fairly quiet and helped around the house while I grieved in my room. I was still kind of scared of it as, come on. It was alive. But, I eventually opened up and it started talking with me more. It tried to give me some advice, but I didn’t listen to it at first.

Dr. Jonas: Why didn't you do so?

Ms. Brown: My husband and I decided to take a break and stay separately after his death to process everything as I didn’t want to burden anybody with my grief and I am sure he didn’t as well, but as the octopus was so adamant in helping me, I decided to listen to it.

It listened when I cried and talked about Justin and helped ensure that I look after myself physically. It also tried to get me into some hobbies like animation or guitar to take my mind off my loss. Eventually, it even encouraged me to meet my husband, and that was when I found out he also had a similar octopus who also helped him deal with Justin. They even found us a support group of bereaved parents and encouraged us to join their meetings.

Dr. Jonas: I see, and I hope that those suggestions have helped you in some way. Anyways, how has your experience with the octopus made you feel?

Ms. Brown: I felt very appreciative as I had someone that could listen to me vent, even if that someone was a soft toy. It helped lift a huge emotional weight off my shoulders, and I felt that, if it wasn’t for it, my depressive state would have lasted for much longer. It also took care of me when I couldn't take care of myself, by ensuring my mental and physical wellbeing is okay and constantly encouraging me to get back on my feet, and I'm eternally grateful for that.

When time goes by and the condolences and sympathies from friends and family slowly lessen as they go back to their own lives, it has stayed with us since then and continuously tried helping us. I’ve learnt to accept his death, and now I have to learn to heal and move on. But… fuck, I can’t. I still miss him daily. I miss the joy that he brought to me, I miss his giggles, I miss… I miss everything. Even though we spent each day like it was his last, I didn’t want it to come so soon.

Ms. Brown stops talking, takes a tissue and wipes her tears.

I’d give anything to hear or hold him again, even if it’s just for one day. A parent’s love for their child is too strong.

Dr. Jonas: I understand that sentiment and I’m really sorry about the loss of your son. You have my condolences and I hope that you’ll be able to heal. Anyways, Ms. Brown, that’s all I have to ask. Thank you so much for your time.

Ms. Brown: You're welcome.

[END LOG]

She was subsequently administered Class-A amnestics as well as two trackers for her husband's and her SCP-6485 instance.

ID
PASSWORD
Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License