SCP-6467
rating: +136+x
boblin1.jpg

A Dungeons & Dragons game in progress, a common vector for SCP-6467.

Item #: SCP-6467

Object Class: Archon

Special Containment Procedures: Due to the harmless nature of SCP-6467, it has been decided to permit it to remain uncontained.

Foundation staff are encouraged to host game nights where tabletop roleplaying games are the focus in order to further the study of SCP-6467. Copies of popular tabletop roleplaying game rulebooks and campaigns have been placed in every Foundation Site's recreational room for ease of access by personnel. Footage of personnel playing tabletop roleplaying games is to be reviewed by the SCP-6467 team for possible signs of SCP-6467 affliction.

Description: SCP-6467 refers to a phenomenon affecting players of tabletop roleplaying games where players will inevitably encounter an NPC1 of minimal importance to the plot or overall narrative of the game. Players will become fixated upon said character, often to the point of derailing the aforementioned narrative to focus on said NPC. SCP-6467 most frequently occurs in fantasy settings such as Dungeons & Dragons, Blackmoor, and Pathfinder, though it has also been observed to manifest in other genre settings such as Call of Cthulhu, Kids on Bikes, and Dark Heresy.

Players under the effects of SCP-6467 will typically become highly interested in asking the target NPC questions about their backstory, beliefs, and opinions on inane and irrelevant topics. This will inevitably result in frustration from the Game Master,2 which will typically be met with casual dismissal by the players. In 68% of recorded test cases, players affected by SCP-6467 will attempt to bring the NPC they are fixated upon with them on their adventure, regardless of whether or not the NPC possesses any combat abilities.

In the event of a successful attempt, the NPC will remain with players until one of three scenarios has occurred:

  • In 51% of recorded test cases, players will continue to explore the NPC’s personal backstory and ambitions throughout game sessions, and attempt to aid them where possible. Once these goals have been fulfilled, the Game Master is able to remove the NPC from the adventure and resume the game’s original narrative without player complaint.
  • In 17% of recorded test cases, the Game Master will successfully kill or remove the NPC before their aforementioned aims can be completed. All recorded cases that have gone beyond this point have resulted in the premature conclusion of the adventure and deterioration in relations between SCP-6467 affected players and the Game Master outside of the game.
  • In 32% of recorded test cases, the game will simply fall apart prematurely due to players' time commitments being required elsewhere, disagreements between the Game Master and Players, or other exterior issues.

Notably, attempts to force SCP-6467 to manifest in a controlled environment have failed. This includes instructing Game Masters to attempt to create multiple characters with traits favorable to an SCP-6467 instance.3

Addendum 6467.1: Attached Example Log

Attached below are selected examples of an instance of SCP-6467 affecting Foundation personnel at Site-55 during their weekly Dungeons & Dragons games.













Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License