SCP-6418
  • rating: +18+x

⚠️ content warning

Item #: SCP-6418

light.jpg

An instance of SCP-6418 in the wild.

Object Class: Keter

Special Containment Procedures: SCP-6418 is currently unconfined. Intersections where SCP-6418 is believed to be in effect are to be blocked off briefly while the anomalous stoplight is replaced by a non-anomalous one. Grade A amnesiacs are to be issued to individuals who have reported experiencing SCP-6418's anomalous properties.

Description: SCP-6418 is a designation given to an unknown number of stoplights positioned in intersections around the United States. Stoplights affected by SCP-6418 appear identical to non-anomalous stoplights. However, if an instance of SCP-6418 is moved out of its intersection, it will begin to rapidly rust and disintegrate.

The anomalous properties of SCP-6418 will trigger when a vehicle drives through a red light, breaking established traffic laws. The entire vehicle in question, along with its occupants, will vanish immediately after being in line with SCP-6418 and the ground. For unknown reasons, this event does not appear to disturb other nearby drivers.

Within 5-10 seconds after disappearing, the vehicle and its occupants will reappear safely in a parking lot near SCP-6418. For unknown reasons, this phenomenon seems to prioritize empty parking lots first. The vehicle and passengers appear to have suffered no external damage between vanishing and reappearing. The passengers, however, will act as though they have experienced serious psychological trauma. In most cases, the victims will refuse to discuss anything related to the event if they are mentally stable enough to communicate.

There appears to be a relationship between the speed of the vehicle driving into SCP-6418's area of effect and the stress experienced by its passenger(s) (See Addendum 6418.1 Test Logs). Victims who drive through the red light at five miles per hour (mph) or lower experience minimal psychological damage, if any. In extreme cases, the victims will either be rendered completely insane and unstable, become left in a vegetative state or suffer massive heart attacks immediately after reappearing.

Addendum 6418.1 Interview Log:

Addendum 6418.2 Test Logs

In order to test the effects of SCP-6418, an intersection in ████, Massachusetts was blocked off by Foundation personnel under the guise of road work. The nearest parking garage was also closed by the Foundation during testing to catch the reappearing test subjects. When testing was concluded, SCP-6418 was destroyed and the intersection was reopened with a non-anomalous stoplight.

Testing Log

6418 TEST 04/██/██

Subject: D-71823
Speed (mph): 5
Results: The vehicle's driver initially reappeared in a drowsy state but jolted awake shortly after. Subject later agreed to describe the experience (View Addendum 6418.1 Interview Log). The subject did not appear to suffer any major psychological damage.

Note: A recording device was kept on the dashboard of the vehicle to record the teleportation experience. The device did not disappear along with the rest of the vehicle, falling to the ground along with a pair of red fuzzy dice that had been hanged upon the vehicle's rearview window.

6418 TEST 05/██/██

Subject: D-62332
Speed (mph): 20
Result: Subject reappeared and immediately began sobbing uncontrollably. Subject exited the vehicle, laid flat on the pavement, and began caressing the ground. Subject later recounted experiencing a similar dream to D-71823 that lasted approximately 5 years. Subject refused to describe the experience.

6418 TEST 05/██/██

Subject: D-31981
Speed (mph): 45
Result: Subject reappeared in an unresponsive, drowsy state before succumbing into a coma. Although brain activity was detected, subject did not respond to any physical stimulation. Vehicle appeared to have roughly an inch of rust developing on the front bumper.

6418 TEST 05/██/██

Subject: D-51985
Speed (mph): 70
Results: Vehicle reappeared severely rusted and degraded. Gasoline was present in the engine before testing, but none was present after reappearing. D-51985 reappeared in a vegetative state and died in a medical room approximately four days after the incident.

6418 TEST 05/██/██

Subject: D-51052
Speed (mph): 105
Results: A majority of the vehicle was missing upon reappearing, and what was left had become extremely rusted and brittle. The car's windows and tires immediately detached from the vehicle's framework, showing signs of significant decomposition. D-51052 rolled out of the side of the car and suffered a massive heart attack upon reappearing, dying instantly.

Conclusion Statement:

There is no doubt a relationship between the impact of 6418 and the speed of the vehicle it captures. The rusting of the metal components implies that the flow of time is not frozen in between the teleportation and reappearance of the vehicle and its inhabitants. It is my conclusion that a faster vehicle driving into 6418's range will result in an extended period of time within 6418 pocket dimension.

It is unclear as to why 6418 functions this way, perhaps some form of divine punishment? Although time flows for the inanimate components of the vehicle inside the pocket dimension, it appears to exclude living organisms.

It is difficult to estimate how long a test subject and their vehicle has been inside the pocket dimension. The cars are primarily made of steel, which can begin to rust in just a few days time given specific environmental factors. However, for it to decompose completely, it could take nearly 200 years. As for other components such as the windows and tires, the decomposition process is anywhere from thousands to millions of years long.

I suggest we conclude testing for the foreseeable future above the speed of 10 miles per hour. There is nothing else we can learn from going faster. We are not sending people to their death. We are sending them to hell while they are still alive.

- Dr. Jack Linan, Project Co-Manager

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License