SCP-6360


rating: +109+x
Item#: 6360
Level4
Containment Class:
keter
Secondary Class:
esoteric
Disruption Class:
keneq
Risk Class:
danger

Special Containment Procedures:
The wilderness of the Carpathian Mountain range is to be designated as natural parks under the pretext of preserving endangered flora and fauna species. Foundation personnel will operate in the area under the guise of scientists and conservationists studying the local wildlife.

Foundation assets are to set up perimeters around the areas surrounding several cave entrances in the Carpathians and Ukraine to prohibit trespassers. These are to be covered up as strict nature reserves or military grounds.

Radar units and surface-to-air missile (SAM) batteries are to be set up in strategic positions along the range. SAMs are to utilise electro-optical and laser guidance systems. The former will be used for tracking and the latter should only be used if SCP-6360 attempts to leave the mountain range. Satellite imaging will also be used to provide surveillance with a 0.1 second delay.

At least 1 squadron of fighters, preferably air superiority and/or interceptor aircraft are to be kept on stand-by at airbases in the vicinity of the Carpathians. These aircraft are to be assisted by AWACS as well as air defence systems on the ground, and equipped with electro-optical and laser beam riding anti-aircraft missiles (AAMs).

Personnel carrying out tasks away from research stations must wear SCRAMBLE v2 goggles at all times. In the case of goggles malfunctioning, personnel are to immediately make their way back to base. An MTF battalion is to be based in the territories surrounding the mountain range to rescue jeopardised personnel. Remote cameras are to be used to monitor SCP-6360. Any live video surveillance in the containment zone must also have the stated 0.1 second delay in their feed.

Description:
SCP-6360 is a large chimeric organism measuring an average of 7.6 metres in length and possessing both reptilian and ornithic traits. It stands approximately 2.5 metres tall, featuring winged forelimbs, with a wingspan of 9.1 metres, and reptilian hindlimbs along with a long, muscular tail covered in foldable rectrices.1 The head of SCP-6360 strongly resembles non-anomalous Bearded vultures (Gypaetus barbatus) but possesses rows of sharp curved teeth and two venomous fangs.

SCP-6360’s venom is extremely potent, possessing both neurotoxic and cytotoxic properties. Any organism in contact with the venom, via directly getting bitten by SCP-6360 or indirectly through touching or contamination will result in death within 2 minutes. Effects on human subjects include a loss of coordination, delirium, accelerated lysis, paralysis, and asphyxia, leading to death. Corpses of victims will appear withered with massive internal injuries.

Its eyes are similar to those of the King cobra (Ophiophagus hannah). When SCP-6360 makes eye contact with an individual, the individual will immediately die. Autopsy on those afflicted by SCP-6360’s sight show injuries and effects consistent with those in individuals which have come into contact with SCP-6360’s venom. SCP-6360 is also immune to all known toxins.

SCP-6360 vocalisations are a mix of those produced by Old World vultures and snakes.

Addendum 1: Discovery
Sightings were reported across Europe throughout the 20th Century, with a majority concentrating in the Carpathians and its surrounding area. It is suspected that SCP-6360 sightings cover such a large territory due to the creature’s ability to fly quickly at very high altitudes; and being able to crawl in cave systems and dense forests to cover ground undetected. After a period during which sightings stopped, it was later photographed in the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone by soldiers two days after the Chernobyl disaster.8

SCP-6360 became a very high priority for The Foundation after Incident-6360-1. The Foundation was contacted on behalf of the Ukrainian government in 14th July 2007, after the discovery of a mass Withering Event. MTF Beta-7 "Maz Hatters" were deployed to Ukraine and assets in neighbouring countries were kept on high alert due to SCP-6360 tendency to wander.

SCP-6360 was spotted in the Polissya hotel in Pripyat by Beta-7 following the radio signal of the missing Ukrainian CBRN team. After a sweep of the building, the team found the bodies of four of the missing personnel, all partially consumed. Further investigation lead to the discovery of what appeared to be a hole leading to an underground tunnel system under the hotel. The tunnels, according to GRU elements, were built to be used in case of attack or disaster to safely travel underground and was used during the evacuation.

SCP-6360 is currently residing in the Carpathian Mountain range where a large scale containment initiative has been set up. Due to the friendly relationship between the local Hutsuls and SCP-6360, they have been allowed to stay in the containment areas.

Addendum 2.1:
During the investigation of a Withering Event, a video camera belonging to one of the victims was discovered. The D-Class who viewed the footage stated he saw SCP-6360 looking at the camera. However, no adverse effects were observed.

Slowing down the footage revealed that SCP-6360 has a set of fully transparent nictitating membranes, which opens up during a visual-based attack. Once opened, the creature’s pupils turn a luminescent golden yellow with a slight reddish ring surrounding it while the creature produces a vocalisation similar to the King Cobra’s growling. Once the target has been killed, this third eyelid closes and the eyes return back to normal.

Addendum 2.2:
Despite the discovery that its normal gaze is not lethal, the creature is still considered a major cognitohazard and precautions are still necessary. Since the gaze is neutralised as recorded footage, a specially designed set of automated goggles providing a video feed with a 0.1 second delay will be developed using the SCRAMBLE goggles.

Addendum 3: Observations in containment
Despite its size, the creature displays significant agility beyond what should be capable for a creature of its mass, being able to move on land, scale up vertical structures, and demonstrate flight. The creature is primarily quadrupedal, folding its wings to form clawed forelimbs similar to the Common vampire bat (Desmodus rotundus), however is capable of bipedal locomotion as a means of quickly moving across flat ground and closing the distance between it and its prey.

SCP-6360 has excellent vision, which helps it see in low-light conditions, and thermal pits on its beak which enable it to sense heat signatures. The entity also possesses acute olfaction.

SCP-6360 was discovered to have an additional 2 humanoid arms which come out from its body to use for tasks requiring more dexterity. It is unknown how these limbs are concealed in the body.

Examination of feather samples shows that they are covered with minute scales, creating a hard but lightweight protective surface. These scales, along with the larger ones covering SCP-6360’s body, are anomalously durable, impervious to damage from melee weapons and guns up to 30mm in caliber. SCP-6360’s scales also possess radar absorbent properties, allowing it to have a disproportionately small Radar Cross Section (RCS) compared to its size.

These findings imply that SCP-6360 might have adapted to attack aircraft.

It is suggested that blast damage could stun the creature, and large explosions can possibly injure the creature enough to be safely handled or force it to retreat to heal.

Addendum 3.1 : Relationship with locals
The locals in the mountains have been observed leaving food for the creature as offerings. These include livestock, bryndza10as well as other oily foods.

Interviews are being conducted to further learn about this relationship. Despite being unforthcoming of their practices, they have dispensed warnings against proceeding too deep into the forest, due to the creature's highly territorial nature. Surveillance via parabolic microphone of a conversation between a group of locals revealed some information where the word "extermination" was mentioned often, however not enough was recovered to fully understand the context behind this.

Addendum 3.2: Notice
Reports of arguments between personnel stationed in research stations in the Carpathians have been increasing. Complaints of taunts and misunderstandings are rife. Psychological screening of the staff is being commenced.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License