SCP-6317

Foundation staff are to observe caution while reviewing materials, and are to affirm that they are currently living their best life.

rating: +101+x

Notice to Staff

The following file contains minor references to self-harm and suicide and heavily involves the discussion and depiction of memory loss. Please let your supervisor or I know if you are sensitive to these topics and we will work out a replacement assignment from there.

-Glass


And once again the students return to the halls, eager to start another memorable year.

|

|

Welcome "Dr. Glass"!

|

|

Searching For File "IRISRMX.pdf"…

|

|

File Found! Begin Loading?

Are things really as you remember them?

|

Loading File…

|

Loading Complete!

|

|


Item#: 6317
Level3
Containment Class:
euclid
Secondary Class:
none
Disruption Class:
vlam
Risk Class:
notice

Assigned Site


Site-19

Site Director


Dr. Sophia Light

Research Head


Dr. Simon Glass

Assigned MTF


N/A

Assigned Site


Site-19

Site Director


Dr. Sophia Light

Research Head


Dr. Simon Glass

Assigned MTF


N/A


Special Containment Procedures:

SCP-6317 is to be contained within a standard anomalous humanoid dormitory and provided with amenities at the approval of Dr. Glass. Additionally, SCP-6317 is to meet weekly with site psychologists to screen for long term exposure to cognitohazardous matierals.

SCP-6317-1 is to be contained within a standard anomalous item containment locker. At the request of SCP-6317, testing with SCP-6317-1 is currently prohibited. Instead, SCP-6317 has provided Foundation staff with a collection of materials for review. Foundation staff are to observe caution while reviewing materials, and are to affirm that they are currently living their best life.

Description:

Polaroid_OneStep.jpg

SCP-6317-1

SCP-6317 is the designation given to Hana “Iris” Thompson, an Asian-American female of average build and height. Prior to containment, SCP-6317 was a member of the senior class of Bear Ridge High School and President of the Newspaper club. This is where she is believed to have first encountered SCP-6317-1.

SCP-6317-1 is a Polaroid 1000 Land Camera with “Property of KLHS” carved into its side. The school purchased SCP-6317-1 for the club from an alumnus, with the hopes of providing a more authentic feel to the school paper. SCP-6317-1 has no innate anomalous properties aside from a seemingly infinite amount of film and battery life.

SCP-6317's anomalous properties manifest when interacting with the photos produced by SCP-6317-1. By physically manipulating the photos (cutting, scratching, pasting, etc.), SCP-6317 can alter the memories of the events taking place in the photo. Through addition or removals of certain aspects of the photo, subjects receive conflicting memories, causing them to be unable to recall events captured in the photo. SCP-6317 herself is not immune to this affect, and efforts to remediate her gaps in memory are currently ongoing.


Addendum - 01
Discovery


SCP-6317’s anomalous properties were discovered following a tip from Researcher Blaire’s son, Anthony; a senior at Bear Ridge and someone SCP-6317 was noted to be romantically pursuing. After reading the Homecoming edition of the school paper, Researcher Blaire noted that his son was having difficulty recalling the events and aftermath of the game. Anthony showed Blaire a photo in the newspaper he was in with his friends. Upon seeing the paper, Researcher Blaire found that one of the kid’s faces was scratched out, with SCP-6317 awkwardly edited into the photo.

Furthermore, Anthony insisted that both SCP-6317 and his friend were present.1 Researcher Blaire instructed his son to get some rest and began a formal examination of the newspaper. Through inspection, the newspaper was noted to have slightly elevated cognitohazard levels consistent with anomalous interference. Researcher Blaire sent the paper to Site-19, and was tasked to passively monitor the situation for continued anomalous effects.


Addendum - 02
Recovered Documentation


The following interview was conducted by SCP-6317 prior to the publication of the Homecoming edition of the school newspaper. This is also the first noted instance of SCP-6317 feeling the effects of her anomalous properties.

«Homecoming Newspaper Interview»

Interviewer: Hana Thompson
Interviewee: Principal Ryan Kruek


«Begin Log»

Hana: (Mumbling) Alright, that should be everything set up. <She claps.> Alright! Thank you for taking the time to sit for an interview, Principal Kruek.

Kruek: Always, Hana. You know how much I love to interact with my students. Now, <he leans back in his chair> How about that game, huh?

Hana: I heard we did quite well! A fine job as always, Coach.

Kruek: Heard? You weren't there?

Hana: I-uh. <She pauses.>

Kruek: You alright, kiddo?

Hana: Yeah, sorry. Brain freeze, you know? <She produces a photograph from her bag. The photo shows a group of football players with Hana awkwardly cropped in.> I was with Anthony and his friends. I think we got appetizers afterwards too.

Kruek: I was going to say. It would be unlike you to miss such an important event. Especially, the last Homecoming you’ll ever see.

<He picks up the football sitting on the edge of his desk.>

Kruek: But hey, it wouldn't be the first time someone slacked senior year. Hell, Just Some Guy won us the game and then comes to school saying he wasn’t there; like anyone could forget Homecoming! He’ll be running laps until finals with that attitude.

Hana: Wait, sorry who are you talking about?

Kruek: Just Some Guy. Don't you remember him? He's my starting wide receiver. Aren’t you supposed to be the sports reporter?

Hana: Rhea took that position so I could take a more direct role in editing.

Kruek: Ah that's right! She interviewed me after the game. A lot of promise in that one, and only a sophomore.

Hana: Yes, she's quite the prodigy. Anyways, what's your plan for-

Kruek: You know, she actually won that writing award thing again. You won that a couple of years ago, right?

Hana: Yes. I won it when I was a sophomore.

Kruek: Looks like we'll have no problems finding a new president when you graduate. You should be very proud of what you've been able to accomplish, and I know you'll train Rhea well.

Hana: Oh…Thanks.

Kruek: You seem a little down, Hana. Something on your mind?

Hana: Just thinking about the end of the year is all.

Kruek: Ah, I remember that feeling.

Hana: You do?

<The faint sound of static can be heard.>

Kruek: Truth is, high school's just a phase, Hana. Life only gets better after you graduate. When I was in your shoes, I felt the same way. All the Homecoming games and marching band tunes fade away after a while. Eventually you just have to face the music.

Hana: I’m not sure I’m ready to leave yet. There’s still so much I need to do before June.

Kruek: Well, you better step to it, kid. This is the last chance you’ll have to see all of your friends before they move on and you become a memory.

Hana: Huh?

Kruek: You remember all those nights you spent awake staring at your ceiling wondering if you were doing enough? It’ll never be enough. No matter if you had a year or the rest of your life. Your regrets will only come to you in once fond memories of faces you barely remember.

<Hana holds her hands to the side of her head. The sound of static is overwhelming.>

Kruek: You won't be remembered here, Hana. No matter how much you try.

<Silence>

Kruek: Hana? Hana? Bueller? Bueller?

Hana: Wha? Huh?

Kruek: That was the bell. I think it’s time you return to class now. Thank you for the interview, Hana.

«End Log»

A copy of the Homecoming edition of the newspaper has been attached below following extensive review. According to SCP-6317, the Homecoming paper is one of the most read of the year, with a reprint needed to fulfill the demands of the community. Exposure to the newspaper was followed by a noted withdrawal of an unknown student from the Bear Ridge database, as well as other minor anomalous phenomena.

THE BEAR RIDGE GAZETTE

Go Bearcats!

BUCHANAN, MICHIGAN OCTOBER 10TH, 2015 FREE FOR STUDENTS

A Victory on the Field
By: Hana Thompson

Following another exciting game, the Boys Varsity Football team won a decisive victory against Troy with a final score of 36-30. According to Coach Kruek, the team played one of their best games yet, with both the new additions and old members of the team bringing their A-game. Coach wanted to highlight two students, Anthony Blaire and Just Some Guy for their last second play to secure the win.

Photo Editing…Offline?
By: Hana Thompson

With the revival of the physical photo medium, I gathered some tips as the President of the Newspaper club for how I edit my photos. Now, there are a lot of techniques you can use. All you need is a precision knife, the photo you want to edit, and some rubber cement. Simply cut out the imperfections and voilà! Your perfect photo, a memory just as you wanted it. Don’t worry about if a memory is still yours after you edit it! All you need is some practice, patience, and the ignorance to free yourself of the guilt of depriving someone of recollection, and you'll be a master in no time!

Interview with Coach Kruek
By: Prodigy Rhea Adams

After another hard-fought victory, I had the pleasure to interview Coach Kruek. Hot off the heels of being drenched by a container of orange Gatorade, Coach had a lot to say about the team's performance.

Can you tell me about how you felt during the game? Did you have any worries that you could lose this game?
Remember these questions, Hana? You wrote the guidebook after all. All those years ago.

They may have had us on the ropes in the first half, but I had no doubt that my boys would pull through.

A lot of these boys won't be returning to the field next year. Do you worry about the future of the team?

We have enough young talent here to carry this team for years. Besides, the upperclassmen have already had their fun. It's time for these new guys to take their place in the sun. What better way to remember your last season than a Homecoming win, huh? You have always been replaceable, Hana. You were a fool for not believing that sooner.

Thank you for taking the time to speak with me, Coach. Do you have any encouraging words for our seniors?

Of course! Be sure to have fun this year! These are the best years of your life, after all. Go Bearcats!

Notable anomalous activity seemed to decline in the months of November and December in preparation for midterm exams. According to SCP-6317, this period was one of the most difficult in her high school career, and she reported spending the majority of her break at home. After returning from winter break, SCP-6317 met with her academic counselor to discuss her class rank and plans for the remainder of the year.

«Academic Counseling; January»

Interviewer: Hana Thompson
Interviewee: Ms. Abernathy


«Begin Log»

Abernathy: Are you sure you need this recorded, Hana? I can just email the information to you.

Hana: I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything is all. This thing has been a life saver for keeping me on track.

Abernathy: Oh? Are you having a hard time keeping on top of everything?

Hana: Not quite? I don’t know. With the newspaper starting back up, I've noticed I keep forgetting certain things.

Abernathy: Stress does affect memory. You should be careful. <Static can be heard from the recording.> You don’t want to forget us.

Hana: Uhhh… <She swallows hard.> So about that transcript review! How did I do?

Abernathy: The appointments are 30 minutes each, Hana. We have time to discuss that later. I have to say some people are really wor-

Hana: I have some stuff to do for the newspaper, so I'd prefer if we could get this done. Please.

Abernathy: Alright…<She passes a piece of paper to Hana.> You should be proud of yourself; I know how hard you've been working these past few years.

Name: Hana Thompson
Rank: 30/464
GPA: 3.85

Current Classes: Honors Literature, Honors Government and Politics, Honors Calculus, Photography, Advanced Art Portfolio, Honors French;

Extracurriculars: Newspaper Club (Overly Devoted President), National Honor Society, Habitat for Humanity, Forgetting her Friends and Family, Field Hockey Manager, Art Honor Society, American Red Cross Club, Wondering Where it All Fell Apart;

Hana: You know, I always dreamed of giving a speech at graduation. As someone who is the most involved in the class, I- <Her expression turns to shock.> I ranked 30th!?

Abernathy: Better luck next time, Hana.

Hana: I'm sorry?

Abernathy: I was saying that out of over 400 students I think you should be excited! 30th is nothing to scoff at.

Hana: But-but I thought I was doing so well. What happened?

Abernathy Hana, dear. Your friends and teachers have expressed a lot of worry to me about you. Rhea said she found you nearly passed out in the darkroom the other day.

Hana: I was just resting my eyes. Besides, don’t most people fall asleep at school?

Abernathy: Not surrounded by paper scraps and rubber cement they don’t. When was the last time you saw your friends?

Hana: It had to have been during break. I think I went skiing with My First Crush and Forgotten Friend. I also went to Anthony's track championship. A really nice person took a photo of us outside of the stadium and then he took me out to eat at a really nice Italian restaurant.

Abernathy: And are you sure that's how things went?

Hana: What?

Abernathy: Hana, from what Anthony has told me, he sees you as a really good friend. He turned you down at Homecoming. Don’t you remember? He's with Someone Better Than You now. He told me that you stopped answering his texts so he broke things off. Your best friend Your Other Halftold me that they’re going to the prom together. Even your parents called me to say that you never left the house during break.

Hana: That's…Impossible. I took all those photos.

Abernathy: The camera sign-out sheet says that Rhea was the last person to take the camera out before break. She said she was doing a piece on how seniors are spending their last winter break before college.

Hana: No! That's not how it happened. You have to believe me.

Abernathy: Your friends miss you, Hana. You used to do everything together and now you're throwing it all away for what?

Hana: I feel like I'm going to be sick.

Abernathy: We know what you’ve done, Hana. We live in every scar and glue patch on your hands. Maybe when you look back, you’ll remember us in those.

<The sound of static is overwhelming.>

Abernathy: All their faces, Hana, do they mean anything to you anymore? When you see them in the hallway do you see where their eyes are? Their mouths? They speak to you, Hana, but you no longer answer.

<The sound of retching can be heard, following shortly by the sound of vomiting and a heavy thud.>

«End Log»

SCP-6317 was rushed home and remained on bed rest for two days. When she arrived back at school she noticed that a new version of the newspaper was published. School reports indicate that the paper had to be reprinted three separate times in order to keep up with the demand from students.

THE BEAR RIDGE GAZETTE

Go Bearcats!

BUCHANAN, MICHIGAN JANUARY 12TH, 2016 You'll never be FREE

Ranking Royalty
By: Principal Kruek

Congratulations to our seniors on reaching the midpoint of their last year at Bear Ridge. I especially wanted to congratulate three students who have given their all these past 3.5 years. The students at the top of the Bear Ridge Class of 2016 are:

  • Not Hana Thompson
  • Not Hana Thompson
  • Not Hana Thompson

If you see these students in the hallway, be sure to give them a round of applause. I look forward to their memorable speeches in June that will be the subject of scrutiny or praise for many family dinners to come!


A Winter To Remember
By: Prodigy Rhea Adams

I spent this winter interviewing and meeting with members of the senior class while Hana Thompson was home moping about me replacing her. Of the students I interviewed, a majority of them took the winter break to make memories with friends, bring home awards for Bear Ridge, or cried into their pillows about the prospect of leaving all they've ever known. Overwhelmingly though, students expressed excitement for the remainder of the year, commenting specifically on the exciting events planned by the student government.

For some of you, this will be your last chance to make memories here, and it would be heartbreaking for you to forget us here at Bear Ridge. Good luck with the rest of your year seniors!

Remix1Try1%20%283%29.jpg

Wish you were here!

Boogie Back to the 70s!
By: Those Once in Your Shoes

The Bear Ridge Student Government, paired with generous contributions from community sponsors, are excited to announce the theme for this year’s prom: the 1970s! Although we may have not have been alive during that decade, the student council has come to the conclusion that those were the best years of our lives. What better way to pay tribute to such an important part of our development than by spending a night remembering what we once had?

Ticket prices are starting at $120. For more information, join us at our next meeting in the band room Friday.


Self-Care for Stressed Teens
By: Hana Thompson

As the year comes to an end, more and more is being added to our plates. College applications, last minute tests, the overwhelming feeling that you gave all of yourself to something that won't remember you when you leave. All of these feelings are too much for anyone to handle without support. As such, I have gathered some fun activities that can be used to decrease stress.

  • Meditation - A good way to relax in a pinch. All you need is some calm music, a place to sit, and a way to remember what exactly it is you're looking for in doing this.
  • Scrapbooking - As editor of the newspaper, I spend a lot of time working with photos. Scrapbooking is a fun way to curate all your memories from the past few years exactly how you want to remember them. With some glue and scissors, as well as a cute scrapbook, you too can lie and say you had a good time in high school.
  • Spending Ceaseless Nights Crying into a Pillow - Nothing gets rid of stress better than releasing all of that energy into your pillow every night. Friends not inviting you out anymore? Break ups? Poor ranking? Doctor says it's best to head straight for the pillow. Bonus points if you can manage to keep yourself from crying until your classmates can't see you!

Addendum - 03
Prom Night


The height of SCP-6317's anomalous properties manifested on June 19th, 2016, the night of Bear Ridge High School's prom. SCP-6317 reported that she has no memories of the night in question, nor does she have any recollection of how she ended up in the Foundation's care. Researcher Blaire was notified by Anthony of the night's events. Due to SCP-6317's feelings towards him, Anthony suffered only minor symptoms from SCP-6317's cognitohazardous materials. A copy of the phone call between Anthony and Researcher Blaire can be seen below.

«Begin Log»

Anthony: (Frantically) Dad! Fuck, dad pick up please.

Blaire: What's wrong, Anthony? Did I mix-up the time to pick you up?

Anthony: No. I think Hana finally went off the deep end, dad.

Blaire: What?

Anthony: She's wearing the sash and tiara, dad, and she stole my fucking jacket!

Blaire: Is no one else in your class doing anything? What about the chaperones?

Anthony: Everyone seems to be fine with it. I- <He pauses.> I don't remember who won, but from what I heard no one was planning on voting for her. Especially not after her breakdown after winter break.

<Voices can be heard from the other side of the phone.>

Blaire: Anthony? Who are those voices? Hello?

Anthony: I-I was given a copy of the newspaper.

Blaire: Whatever you do don't look at it, alright? Do you hear me?

Anthony: Dad I-

<Static can be heard from the other line.>

Blaire: Anthony?

Anthony: (Calmly) This night, all these months leading up to it. We have been given the gift of a night we'll never forget.

Blaire: Hey! Stay with me kid. Barricade yourself in a bathroom if you can. I'm on my way.

Anthony: I can't wait to tell you about tonight, dad. I'll see you later.

Blaire: Wai-

«End Log»

Upon investigating the school, a stack of over 1000 newspapers were found outside SCP-6317’s locker. Due to the high amount of cognitohazardous material in the paper, paired with the number of papers, Foundation personnel incinerated all known copies. During SCP-6317’s intake, however, a crumpled copy was found among her personal effects. A non-anomalous version has been attached for viewing.

THE HANA THOMPSON GAZETTE

Why Don't You Remember Us?

The School Gymnasium Prom Night The Best Night of Your Life

God Save the Queen
By: Hana Thompson

The lovely, popular, and Class of 2016 star, Hana Thompson was able to win the prom queen vote in a landslide. I mean, we would be fools to not vote for such a wonderful person as queen. It's not like she spent the entire year running a fraud. No no no. This was her year after all, a chance for her to shine and sparkle; to make memories at the expense of everyone else.

Sure, she may have taken our memories, identities, and senior year from us, but can you really blame her? She deserved to be at those football games and charity events while we got the enriching experience of sitting as neat paper cut outs on the darkroom floor.

Oh, but let's not forget those superlatives. Surely, no one could best our golden girl?

  • Most Likely to Succeed: Hana Thompson
  • Most Likely to Become President: Hana Thompson
  • Most Likely to Forget Herself: Hana Thompson
  • Most Likely to Alienate Her Friends and Family so She Can Have Her Best Year: Hana Thompson
  • Most Likely to Swim with the Fishes: Hana Thompson

A clean sweep! Although there were many more deserving of those awards, this story isn't about them anymore. Hana would never let anyone dare to forget the impact she had on this school.

Trendy Looks of the Year
By: Hana Thompson

This year's prom season has truly brought out the fashionistas in the Bear Ridge Class of 2016. First and foremost, the beautiful Hana Thompson sporting a vintage floral print with one of Bear Ridge's own letterman jackets belonging to her unrequited boyfriend Anthony. Scandalous!

Next, we have The Forgotten sporting a very lovely outfit consisting of:

  • How many years did we wait for this night?
  • How many hearts were broken? Dollars spent?
  • All for some of us to be remembered as royalty.

I can't wait to see that outfit out on the dance floor. And for the people wearing hand-me-downs or rent-a-gowns, you'll have to step aside for the more fortunate. Besides, when you return that gown or suit later tonight, only memories will fill that hole in your closet where your outfit should be. And we all know how reliable those are.

Remix2Try2.jpg

A night to remember!

Can’t Forget the Speech!
By: Hana Thompson

And how could we forget our very own prom queen's speech? Here, let's see what she said:

<A group of over 400 misshapen and blurred heads face the stage. Hana can be seen sweating, shaking, as she grabs the microphone.>

Hana: I uh. I did it guys! Thank you for giving me the opportunity to, no. This isn't right.

<The crowd looks to her in silence.>

Hana: This isn't how tonight was supposed to happen. It was supposed to be perfect; beautiful dress, great music, someone standing up here next to me.

<The crowd looks to her in silence.>

Hana: But no, I had to play God and ruin everything! Me! I sacrificed everything for this school in the past year, and this is the thanks I give myself in return.

<The crowd looks to her in silence.>

Hana: Please just fucking say something!

<Silence.>

Hana: Fuck!

<She lets out a scream and begins to sob.>

Hana: I-I can't even remember your faces anymore.

<She walks off the stage an approaches the nearest student.>

Hana: Y-your name was John, right? James? Didn't we have the lead roles in the play this year?

<She approaches another student.>

Hana: Amanda? That's you right? We passed notes during the basketball finals. You told me you loved me.

<The student stares at her. She drops to her knees and grips the hem of the student's dress.>

Hana: I r-remembered when someone loved me. <She begins to sob harder.> I remember how he held me at Homecoming, how I kissed her behind the bleachers during halftime, the flowers they used to give me during-

<She pauses and looks at her hands.>

Hana: Who was it that I loved?

<The crowd looks to her in silence.>

Hana: For them, I have to make this right.

<She storms out of the gymnasium, the door slamming behind her.>

I don't think I could have said it better myself! Let's see where our Queen ran off to.

Hana Thompson Takes a Swim
By: Hana Thompson

And at the end of her story, the prom queen sets down her crown and shoes and stands before the edge of oblivion. She's been in this position before, she thinks; looking down from the high-dive, ready to deliver victory to the school she so dearly loved. Her shoulders feel like heavy anchors, and as she blinks away her blurry vision, she can almost see people waiting for her in the water. Friends, family, people she's not sure she's never even interacted with before.

She smiles.

At least here she'll be among people she remembers.

With a slip, she falls… Tumbling forever downward.


Foundation elements embedded in local law enforcement and ambulatory services secured the scene and provided Class-A amnestics to Anthony as an attempt to prevent further harm. SCP-6317 was discovered in the school's pool. She was resuscitated and brought to Site-19 for further medical treatment. Bear Ridge High was reclassified as condemned, and community misinformation campaigns are currently in place to cover-up the fate of the Class of 2016.

We'll see you in your dreams, Hana.

|

|

Close File?

|

|

And once again those young minds march on. The sweet memories of music beckon them to the past, as time sends them unlovingly to the future.

File Successfully Closed!

|

|

rating: +101+x
Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License