SCP-6310

rating: +42+x
Item#: 6310
Level2
Containment Class:
euclid
Secondary Class:
none
Disruption Class:
vlam
Risk Class:
warning

Special Containment Procedures: Access into protrusions of SCP-6310 must be monitored and restricted. Possible findings of new protrusions are to be investigated as soon as possible. Experimentation on ways to display information warning about SCP-6310 in a permanent way without being altered is ongoing. Specific procedures for each known protrusion are listed in their respective files below.

Description: SCP-6310 is a species of carnivorous vine-like plant inhabiting an extradimensional space with properties similar to those of the one housing Nx-01, the Wanderer's Library. Instances of SCP-6310 protrude into baseline reality through wormholes that form in the presence of large, long-standing Hume gradients or abnormally high Hume fields, particularly like those in and around places with large amounts of anomalous activity. In addition to the wormholes expanded to serve as entrances into SCP-6310 protrusions, are smaller, transient wormholes in the same area that are used to manipulate the nearby environment to attract victims, and possibly also to observe the imitated location.

All known protrusions of SCP-6310 appear as an approximate copy of a nearby location that is heavily frequented, positioned in a way meant to be easily confused for the real place. These imitations also always contain hazards meant to kill or incapacitate victims, built off of existing contents of the location being copied.

Once a victim is dead or incapacitated, dark green vines will emerge from the nearest surface and begin consuming them, first by rapidly absorbing most fluids in soft tissue, followed by absorbing them through the surface, presumably for full digestion.

Attempts to signal toward the real location and away from SCP-6310 usually backfire. SCP-6310 exhibit the ability to remotely modify the environment near protrusions in small ways, such as altering the location of warning signs to mislead victims, or making warnings about itself illegible.

Genetic samples collected from SCP-6310 instances outside its camouflage do not resemble any plants known on Earth, but they do share much stronger similarities with some collected from the Wanderer's Library, namely Captio bibliothecarum4, an incredibly successful carnivorous vine that preys on pollinators by imitating nearby flowering plants to a great degree of precision. Their genetic similarities and similar forms of predation strongly indicate a common ancestor.

How the space SCP-6310 inhabit originated, with its structural similarities to that of the Library, as well as how a common ancestor of SCP-6310 and C. bibliothecarum might have arrived there, are unknown. It's currently believed that a mutation might have given it mild ontokinetic abilities, leading to the creation of the space, possibly as an attempt to imitate the Library itself.

SCP-6310's regenerative abilities have made it so far impossible to carve a way to the outside of any protrusions, however, penetrative scans show a web of vines punctuated by many bulbous structures containing the spaces it imitates, extending beyond the range of all devices that have been used. The vines sag downwards between the round structures, possibly indicating that the wormholes used to attract prey also serve to anchor the plant in place, as the space outside SCP-6310 appears empty and no other supporting structures have been seen.

The current leading hypothesis to explain SCP-6310's abilities to manipulate wormholes and change its environment is that the unusually high Hume levels within SCP-6310 allow for a degree of reality-bending abilities. This might explain the apparent variability in its capacity to alter the environment around protrusions, such as the sign used in the containment of SCP-6310-2, as Three Portlands is an area of higher-than-average Hume levels, disallowing the large Hume differential that SCP-6310 might need to alter it.

As the process by which SCP-6310 create copies of places has not been observed, the exact mechanism for it is not fully understood, but it likely resembles the way in which C. bibliothecarum can change its form to imitate nearby flowers, rather than being fully done with its reality-bending properties.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License