SCP-6307
rating: +34+x


technician.png

A technician performs maintenance on SCP-6307, some time in the late 1980s.

Special Containment Procedures: SCP-6307 in its entirety is secured on-site at Site-122 in Subterranean Section A. Personnel assigned to the SCP-6307 project, Mobile Task Force Beta-17 "Truck Freaks," and Logistics and Transportation Division Admin are the only individuals permitted to enter SCP-6307's containment unit for research and maintenance purposes. Technical personnel are mandated to refrain from tampering with or altering SCP-6307's current wiring setup.

Any aberrations in SCP-6307's daily logs and any unusual supply requests are to be reported to the SCP-6307 team immediately.


Description: SCP-6307 is a massive, sophisticated computer network built some time between the early 1970s and 1982. SCP-6307, in its current state, is made up of the following components:

  • Five DataBank 1012 computers1, engraved with standard SCP Foundation identification.
  • Approximately 0.5km worth of wiring and tubing, connecting the DataBanks to a central mainframe unit.
  • A homebrew computer unit constructed from a hybrid of Prometheus Labs and DataBank 1012 computer parts. This unit is engraved with a "Property of the SCP Foundation" placard on its side.
  • A terminal connected to the homebrew computer unit, with an LCD display, keyboard, and mouse, running an outdated version of the Foundation's current operating system and SkipNet2.

SCP-6307 greatly assists in the monitoring, maintenance, and fulfillment of virtually all logistical matters pertaining to the Foundation. The system automates most processes regarding supply chain management, Site resupply, personnel transfer, and inventory logging, and maintains constant contact with every major Foundation Site in order to fulfill the supply demands of the Foundation as a whole.

Although many of SCP-6307's components are outdated by modern technical standards, the system is capable of fully integrating with the rest of the Foundation, provided it achieves regular maintenance.

SCP-6307 requires little human input in order to function properly. This is achieved in part due to an artificial intelligence construct housed within the network, a Class-IV Positive-Aligned Narrow Intelligence known as Sneed.aic. (See: History)

Sneed.aic, although sentient, is rather narrow-minded in its tasks, only ever choosing to speak if addressed directly. For this reason, and to maximize productivity, personnel assigned to SCP-6307 are advised to refrain from engaging in casual conversation with the AI.


History: The construction of SCP-6307 began in 1968, when former RAISA computer technician Terry Sneed drafted a proposal to the O5 Council for Project Galactica, an effort to fully digitalize the Foundation's logistical records for ease of access and storage. While highly-promising on paper, Project Galactica was ultimately rejected, due to the then-superfluous costs associated with fully-digitizing the Foundation's records.

However, the O5 Council would direct Sneed to Dr. Isaac Whitaker of the Logistics & Transportation division, whom had a similar goal in mind with his drastic reform of the department he now led. Sneed and Whitaker would later become founding members of the department, and would collaborate on a myriad of projects, including a prototype logistical computer network built inside Section A of the fledgling Site-122.

sneed.png
Terry Sneed, circa 1970

In 1971, with approval of the O5 Council, Terry Sneed would acquire 5 Foundation DataBank 1012 computers, and began construction of what would later become SCP-6307. Originally unaided in his process, a number of L&T personnel would soon pitch in to the monumental effort, including Dr. Whitaker himself. Although some team members believed that Sneed's project was ultimately futile, costly, and time-consuming, Dr. Whitaker supported the project wholeheartedly, and personally assisted Sneed in constructing and testing SCP-6307 on multiple occasions.

In March of 1982, halfway through the construction of the SCP-6307 terminal, Terry Sneed would suddenly die in his sleep, and progress on the project froze. With an inspection date of May 1982 approaching, Whitaker took charge of the project and rushed its completion, referencing heavily from Sneed's rather incomprehensible notes and blueprints.

During the inspection, it was discovered that SCP-6307's internal software and several hardware components had been modified through anomalous means to account for a 50% increase in processing power and data storage. In addition, an artificial intelligence construct identifying itself as Sneed.aic was present in the terminal, which no member of the team had any recollection of implementing whatsoever.


Addendum 6307.1:

Initial Contact

With no way to properly verify Sneed.aic (then-designated as SCP-6307-B) as a Foundation-made program, SCP-6307 was officially registered as an anomaly in late May of 1982, and was placed into containment in Section A of Site-122. Dr. Whitaker was personally tasked with conducting an interview with SCP-6307-B to ascertain its directive and identify any other changes anomalously made to the machine.

Following the interview, SCP-6307-B, now officially verified as Sneed.aic, was returned to active duty. After a brief consultation with the Classification Committee, SCP-6307 was reclassified as Thaumiel, and a containment unit housing SCP-6307 in its entirety was constructed at Site-122.


Addendum 6307.2:

Project Update

Below is an update pushed by Dr. Whitaker regarding SCP-6307's performance on February 16, 1984.

.


Addendum 6307.3:

Additional SCP-6307 Correspondence

Although SCP-6307 remained in regular operation for much of the 90s and onwards, its hardware still remained vastly outdated; old and nearly incompatible with newer, more experimental systems. With the rest of the Foundation speedily digitalizing their systems and records, SCP-6307 was steadily upgraded with more antiquated software and hardware, though its setup remained mostly unchanged.

On 7/18/1998, a heated email exchange between Director Whitaker and Dr. Marcus L. Crassus of Armed Site-213 was observed, regarding a few incidents in SCP-6307 and its behavior.

Below is the exchange in its entirety.


Addendum 6307.4:

Additional Info

.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License