SCP-6298
rating: +31+x
discus

Instance of SCP-6298-1 in captivity.

Item #: SCP-6298

Object Class: Euclid

Special Containment Procedures: Instances of SCP-6298-1 are to be kept in communal groups in specialized acrylic aquariums of at least 200 gallons.

A containment zone surrounding the natural habitat of SCP-6298-1 has been established. Any unauthorized personnel found to be trespassing are to be detained immediately, with lethal force authorized if necessary. Any instances of SCP-6298-1 encountered outside of the established containment zone are to be reported and contained immediately.

SCP-6298-2 must be closely monitored for abnormal behavior. Any Llaguaí diasporic peoples are to be brought into custody and administered Class G Amnestics before release.

As of Incident-6298-BR-1, all instances of SCP-6298-2 are held in a communal containment unit and kept under strict surveillance. Should an instance of SCP-6298-2 exhibit aggressive behavior towards personnel, use of sedative agents is permitted.

Personnel are required to report any ingestion of SCP-6298-1 or SCP-6298-1B immediately. Testing of SCP-6298-1B is prohibited in any facility that houses cognitohazardous, memetic, or telepathic anomalies.

Description: SCP-6298-1 is the designation for a species of freshwater ray-finned fish belonging to the genus Symphysidon. The distribution of SCP-6298-1 is significantly removed from current and historical ranges of other Symphysidon species; prior to Incident-6298-BR-1, it was primarily found in the slow-moving waters of the Cajatilla River, a tributary of the Caqueta River in southern Colombia.

SCP-6298-1 secretes a neuroleptic substance, henceforth designated SCP-6298-1A, chemically similar to the antipsychotic medication haloperidol through mucus membranes present on epithelial tissue of instances of SCP-6298-1. Substance exhibits slightly higher potency than similar drugs available for public consumption. SCP-6298-1A has been found to be produced by SCP-6298-1 as a chemical byproduct of the synthesis of SCP-6298-1B.

SCP-6298-1B is a compound synthesized by SCP-6298-1 through unknown means that accumulates in the fatty tissue of instances of SCP-6298-1. SCP-6298-1B superficially exhibits a potent and rapid-onset psychoactive effect that has been determined to result from acute agonistic reactions affecting the ingesting subject's vulnerability and perception to cognitohazardous and telepathic stimuli. Subjects affected by SCP-6298-1B have been known to experience the anomalous effects of cognitohazardous, memetic, and telepathic objects as far as one kilometer from their source.

Artificial synthesis of SCP-6298-1A was achieved on 11/16/2019. Approval of field use pending Ethics Committee review.

Attempts to artificially synthesize SCP-6298-1B have yielded poor results, which can be viewed in document LabLog-6298-1B-A.

Survey of the area surrounding SCP-6298-1's habitat resulted in the discovery of a tribe of indigenous peoples living in close proximity to the the habitat of SCP-6298-1, henceforth designated SCP-6298-2. SCP-6298-2 have developed a close cultural relationship with SCP-6298-1 involving the ritual consumption of SCP-6298-1 for religious purposes, facilitated by the anomalous properties of SCP-6298-1B. SCP-6298-2 display superficial cultural similarities to Tupi-Guarani peoples that inhabit the northwestern Amazon Basin; however, there are notable deviations presumably from their relationship with SCP-6298-1. Initial attempts at establishing contact with SCP-6298-2 have been unsuccessful due to linguistic unintelligibility.

tribi

Two instances of SCP-6298-2 engaging in mock warfare.

Addendum-1: Establishment of a containment perimeter has resulted in the enforced evacuation of a small incorporated village approximately 20km from the primary habitat zone of SCP-6298-1. During evacuation, Foundation Agent ██████ Corbáro was approached by a local villager, ███████████ Chapuaní. A transcription of the encounter is provided below.

The 70 remaining villagers were successfully brought into Foundation custody. The 14 minors amongst them were provided suitable accommodations and care, while the remainder were transferred to basic holding cells for individual questioning. Superfluous interview logs have been excluded from this document, but are available upon request.

Interview Logs 6298-2-B-2, 6298-2-B-17, and 6298-2-B-47 have been included as being relevant to SCP-6298 documentation.

Addendum-2: The request to employ ███████ Chiquí as an official Foundation translator to facilitate communication with SCP-6298-2 has been approved. Chiquí will be heavily monitored for signs of psychological duress or defection. Containment Specialist Natalia Rodriguez has been appointed provisional director of SCP-6298-1's containment site.

Addendum-3: Following successful establishment of communication with SCP-6298-2, utilizing Agent Chiquí as an official liaison, SCP-6298-2 became cooperative with Foundation research of their tribe under the guise of personnel seeking to adhere to SCP-6298-2's religious beliefs.

cazuela

Earthenware used during SCP-6298-2 rituals to transport SCP-6298-1.

SCP-6298-3 is the tentative designation for a powerful memetic and cognitohazardous entity that is currently known only to affect SCP-6298-2 instances who have ingested SCP-6298-1B.

Subjects affected by SCP-6298-3 will display severely disordered cognition and perception as well as altered interaction with reality. An affected instance will also typically experience involuntary muscle movements and tremors, sometimes manifesting as stiff, repetitive gestural movements. The vocal folds of an individual may also be affected, resulting in unintelligible speech.

SCP-6298-2 instances that occupy a high ranking theological position within the tribe are assigned the task of interpreting the physical movements and speech of the affected instance into the Llaguaí language for spiritual purposes. Typical interpretations usually relate to fertility or personal morality, although in rarer instances the interpretations have included apocalyptic or esoteric themes.

Attempts to interview instances of SCP-6298-2 that have been affected by SCP-6298-3 have had limited success, with most instances refusing to do so on grounds of spiritual inexperience. It is only known from Interview-6298-2-B-17 that the effects manifest to the subject as a possibly sentient entity that forms the basis of SCP-6298-2's spiritual beliefs.

There is ongoing debate whether SCP-6298-3 is a phenomenon related to SCP-6298-1, or simply a byproduct of the effects of SCP-6298-1B. (See Interview-6298-2-A-3)

Attempts to replicate SCP-6298-3 using isolated doses of SCP-6298-1B on test subjects in custody has been unsuccessful, only resulting in the display of non-specific cognitohazardous or anomalous symptoms, or in rarer cases, resulting in symptoms matching the effects of other cognitohazardous/memetic/telepathic SCP-Objects contained in relative proximity to the test subject.

Addendum-4: Incident-6298-BR-1: For unknown reasons, SCP-6298-2 abruptly became hostile to Foundation personnel during a traditional ritual performed using SCP-6298-1. Instances of SCP-6298-2 were described by personnel onsite as displaying highly erratic behavior, including symptoms of acute psychosis. 7 field agents were lost, including Agent Chiquí. Initial attempts at restoring order were unsuccessful, resulting in lethal force being approved. ███ instances of SCP-6298-2 were terminated, ██ of which were retroactively deemed unnecessary. A significant number of SCP-6298-2 were lost to disease in the week following their arrival and initial containment. There are currently ██ instances of SCP-6298-2 being held in a large communal containment unit.

I fail to see any reason why the original SCP-6298-2 settlement can't be bolstered with additional security measures for the future. Is it really necessary to keep all instances of SCP-6298-2 in custody without knowing the future status of SCP-6298-1?
-Containment Site Director Natalia Rodriguez

Causal relationships between Incident-6298-BR-1 and SCP-6298-3 are still being examined. The potential threat posed by the now aggressive SCP-6298-2 is too great to allow the possibility of additional careless containment breaches.
-Director ████ Marsh

effi

Small clay and straw figures found in SCP-6298-2 settlement following Incident-6298-BR-1. Figures are not typical of SCP-6298-2 artifacts, and are hypothesized to be the result of the acute psychosis experienced by SCP-6298-2 during the incident.

Following the successful de-escalation and detainment of all known instances of SCP-6298-2 within the SCP-6298 containment zone, an investigation into the circumstances of the incident was conducted, revealing an external containment breach by unknown party(s). The breach was located in the northeastern quadrant of the containment zone, approximately ██km from the nearby village of ██████, where former SCP-6298-2 instances were originally encountered.

Disturbances in the mud deposits indicate amateur efforts were made to conceal human shoe tracks.

An immediate effort to verify any tampering with SCP-6298-1 containment was made. There were no signs of SCP-6298-1 present in the waters they previously occupied with the exception of several deceased instances found along the banks. Attempts to locate any surviving instances further downstream were unsuccessful.

Staff responsible for overseeing the containment procedures for SCP-6298 were questioned in regards to the breach. Containment Site Director Natalia Rodriguez was interviewed in the aftermath in attempts to ascertain possible suspects responsible for the breach.

Addendum-5: The investigation into the circumstances surrounding Incident-6298-BR-1 yielded information pertaining to an underground illicit trade in SCP-6298-1 instances. Data storage onsite was found to have been corrupted using anomalous means by the party(s) responsible for the breach. The method used appears to have been crude and left behind several partially or fully unaffected pieces of information, including surveillance footage that captured several frames of the intruders. Frame analysis was able to decipher the text present on one of the subject's clothing as indicating "TrueAquaria.com".

Research indicates the organization is an online retail company specializing in South American fish species, claiming to be a leading provider of "ethically sourced tropical fish". There is no superficial evidence to indicate anomalous activity on the site, and the listings for available products correspond to typical tropical fish available to consumers on the mainstream marketplace.

███████████ Chapuaní was questioned on the topic after it was noticed that her initial contact with Foundation personnel in Interview-6298-2-B-1 had referenced poacher activity in the area.

An attempt to infiltrate the party(s) behind "TrueAquaria.com" resulted in a successful purchase of SCP-6298-1 instances by Agent ████ Nuñez. A regular pattern of business was established to build trust between "TrueAquaria.com" and Agent Nuñez with the goal of eventually bringing an affiliate into Foundation custody.

Addendum-6: Agent Nuñez was contacted by an affiliate of "TrueAquaria.com" via text message detailing a potential business opportunity and arranging a meeting in person at the organization's facility.

A task force of 60 specialized Agents was assembled for a sting operation on the "TrueAquaria.com" office. Agent Nuñez was assigned as squad leader. Upon arrival at the address indicated by the distributor affiliate, task force members surrounded the facility while a smaller team of 20 was sent in. Inside the facility were 8 employees as well as a large room fitted with equipment for storing live fish. ██ instances of SCP-6298-1 were recovered from the facility.

Upon questioning, the employees identified themselves as the Owner, CEO, CFO, General Manager, Retail Manager, Shipment Manager, IT Manager, and Customer Service Representative, respectively.

Through questioning it was determined that these were the entirety of the organization's operations. In addition, the employees were able to provide a list of other organizations involved in the trafficking of SCP-6298-1, though the owner, when questioned, boasted they were definitively the largest dealer of anomalous fish on the market.

A complete list of all information collected by "TrueAquaria.com" regarding clients can be accessed by request only.

Due to the extremely amateur nature of TrueAquaria.com's operations, I'd like to perform an additional internal investigation into the containment breach myself.

-Director ████ Marsh

Addendum-7: Request to form a specialized task force responsible for tracking down SCP-6298-1 trafficking organizations and instances of SCP-6298-1 sold by them has been approved.

Further testing attempts to identify the nature of SCP-6298-3 have failed to reproduce the effects that caused Incident-6298-BR-1. SCP-6298-1B testing in D-Class personnel have not yielded any instances of SCP-6298-3 influence.

Request to form a large scale operation to locate diaspora Llaguaí pending O5 approval. All Llaguaí held in Foundation custody have been administered Class G Amnestics and provided new identities upon release.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License