SCP-6288
Item#: 6288
Level4
Containment Class:
euclid
Secondary Class:
none
Disruption Class:
vlam
Risk Class:
warning


Special Containment Procedures:
Area-6288 Procedures
Due to exorbitant efforts and resources that would be required to discreetly relocate all specimens, as well as substantial disruption to the local ecosystem that may arise, SCP-6288 are to remain at the location of discovery, designated Area-6288.

Existence of Area-6288 is public knowledge, but the true location and nature of the grove remains confidential. Using Cover Stories USFS.3.2 "Protected Dendrochronology Site" and SCPDD.12.1 "Counterfeit Attraction," a section of the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest (Decoy-6288) is publicly misidentified as "Methuselah Grove" in media and by personnel. Site-6288, operating clandestinely as the Schulman Grove Visitor Center, is the center of SCP-6288 research and disinformation of visitors.

Legally, the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest is a protected area under the jurisdiction of the United States Forest Service. The USFS currently permits civilian access to the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest from mid-May through the end of November, weather permitting. On-Site Task Force Roosevelt-Inyo "Bristlecone Campers" consists of undercover agents embedded in the USFS. All members of OTF Roosevelt-Inyo are tasked with asserting Foundation influence and restricting visitors under the guise of safety measures.

Research staff operates in Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest (and by extension, Area-6288) under the front organization of the South California Peaks Research Group. Researchers are to attempt discretion when traversing both restricted paths to Area-6288. Civilians attesting knowledge of Area-6288 or the linking paths are to be discouraged and/or amnesticized when necessary.

Staff entering Area-6288 must wear either preapproved wardrobe or uniforms provided at the check-in stations. Staff leaving Area-6288 are expected to utilize one of the tarpaulin decontamination booths provided, change clothes, and subject themselves to decontamination spray. Staff caught disregarding these measures will be reprimanded accordingly by their immediate supervisor.

Outposts Central and South are to be attended at all hours through alternating shifts. Outpost North must be attended in the event of any civilians located north on White Mountain Road. Watchmen of Outposts North and South are to catalogue the arrival and departure of all vehicles. All Outposts are equipped with communal housing and supplies for OTF Roosevelt-Inyo members. (See Area-6288 Outpost Timetable - Summer 2021 for shift schedules.)

Each instance bears at least one (1) plastic ribbon labeled with their individual designation. Ribbon tape is color coded red to blue by age range.

Bio Site-103 Procedures
Eleven (11) instances of SCP-6288 are located in two separate aboveground enclosures (Enclosure 6288a and Enclosure 6288b) at Biological Containment Site-103. All instances are to be provided the resources and fauna necessary to function. Access to the enclosures are only intended through a single entrance via decontamination chamber, and only to permitted personnel. Walls of enclosures are lined with barbed wire and under closed circuit monitoring. Circumvention of the decontamination chamber will be dealt with accordingly.

In Enclosure 6288a, SCP-6288-78 and SCP-6288-79 are isolated. Control group reserved for the intention observing an SCP-6288 society of two members. Personnel in Enclosure 6288a are prohibited from utilizing speech in the presence of instances; mute personnel with >70 WPM recommended.

In Enclosure 6288b, SCP-6288-228 and six (6) SCP-6288 saplings are isolated. Control group reserved for the dual intention of observing natural growth of SCP-6288, and the welfare of an SCP-6288 instance isolated from SCP-6288 society. Level 2/6288 or above personnel are allowed and encouraged to spend break time with SCP-6288-228 to maintain subject's mental health.


Description: SCP-6288 is the collective designation for an anomalous subspecies of bristlecone pines (Pinus longaeva schulmanii) endemic to the White Mountains in Inyo County, California. SCP-6288's physiology is largely identical to the Great Basin bristlecone pine, but possesses and is distinguished by several anomalous properties. As of 5/25/2021, there are 287 instances of SCP-6288 contained by the SCP Foundation.

SCP-6288's properties are attributed to a series of biological components collectively designated as SCP-6288-α. SCP-6288-α pollen, sap, and resin is considered a biohazard for how it affects the body of most members within the kingdom Animalia. Inhalation or consumption of SCP-6288-α results in fast-acting effects on the organism's brain functions. Affected individuals (classified as SCP-6288-β) exhibit deviations in behaviors, adopting coordinated interactions with and between SCP-6288. Dissipation of SCP-6288-α from the body has shown no lasting damage upon former SCP-6288-β.

SCP-6288 are a sapient and social plant species. SCP-6288 transmit units of cultural information through transmission of SCP-6288-α to SCP-6288-β. SCP-6288-β physically interact with SCP-6288 to convey messages, either communicating directly or passing along other SCP-6288-β.1

Introduction of SCP-6288-α to humans has shown an affinity to language and verbal communication. SCP-6288 have been know to communicate with human SCP-6288-β with three different languages, and use of simple gestures is occasionally observed. SCP-6288-β humans retain consciousness during infection, and memory of transmitted information.

The documents included immediately below provide a more in depth description of SCP-6288.

Ⅳ-Appendix 6288.Bio.3

SCP-6288 are a medium sized coniferous tree species near identical to the Great Basin bristlecone pine2 to which it has been classified as a subspecies.3

Methuselah

SCP-6288-1 "Methuselah", type specimen and oldest extant SCP-6288 in containment. Photographed by Researcher Droker. Click to enlarge.

Adult SCP-6288 reach 5 to 12 m (16.4-39.3 ft.) in height, growing thick trunks between 2.4 to 3.6 m (7.8-11.8 ft.) in diameter. SCP-6288's bark is thin and flaky, commonly described as bright orange-yellow in coloration, greying near the roots.

Needles grow in fascicles of five, growing 3 cm (1.2 in.) on average. The outer face ranges in color from deep green to blue-green. The stomata is confined to a bright yellow band on the inner surfaces of the needles. Sharing the trait with other species in Pinus subsect. Balfourianae, the needles show the longest persistence of any plant, with some remaining green for 45 years.

SCP-6288 produces ovoid-cylindrical cones yearlong, the overwhelming majority of which are male. No seasonal pattern has been linked to production of female cones. Contrary to sexual dimorphism seen in all other conifers, the SCP-6288's male microstrobilus are larger than the female megastrobilus. Immature cones are colored purple and green respectively, both ripening orange-buff with numerous thin, fragile scales. Each scale possesses a single bristle-like spine 2 to 5 mm (.08-.2 in.) long.

Male cones are 7 to 11 cm (2.75-4.3 in.) long and 3.5 to 4.5 cm (1.4-1.8 in.) broad. The most notable properties of SCP-6288 male cones aside from their size are their potency and persistence: the cones, upon reaching 14 months of age, begin producing and dispersing large quantities of pollen. The cones remain on the branch for lengthy periods of time, up to eight years at a time. Production is largely constant throughout all seasons, with an average pollen count of 47.

SCP-6288 pollen (classified as SCP-6288-α) serves the function as a gamete, but when inhaled by humans or animal life, SCP-6288-α pollen induces behavioral and neurological changes while in the organism's system. Similar properties are found in SCP-6288's sap and resins. (See Ⅳ-Appendix 6288.Bio.3.1 for further detail.)

Female cones average 8 cm (3.1 in.) long and 4 cm (1.6 in.) broad when closed. When 16 months old, the cones open up to 6.2 cm (2.4 in.) broad, releasing the seeds immediately after opening. The seeds are 5 mm (2 in.) long, with a 12 to 22 mm (.47 to .86 in.) wing; they are mostly dispersed by the wind, but some are also dispersed by Clark's nutcrackers.

SCP-6288 egg cells do not possess any anomalous properties aside from the perpetuation of the species. Of the eight (8) saplings that have germinated in the Foundation's custody, two (2) have artificially matured to the point of exhibiting anomalous properties. (See Ⅳ-Document Crosstest/224/6288 for detail of experiment.)

SCP-6288's wood possesses several chemical properties, further defining the Pinus longaeva subspecies. The vascular tissue is electrically excitable, interacting between cells through the species' lignin.4 Both types of vascular tissues are capable of transmission; the xylem5 is notably more conductive than the phloem.6 SCP-6288 lignin possess an above average amount of sinapyl units7 in comparison to other member of the subgenus P. Strobus.

It is currently assumed that the vascular tissue functions in what is comparable to neural tissue in humans. Due to this attribute, SCP-6288 are sentient and sapient. The mental development of SCP-6288 lasts for a period of approximately 800 to 1,100 years of age, ending when sapience is achieved, signified by the exhibition of the SCP-6288-α anomalous properties and association with other SCP-6288. (See Ⅳ-Appendix 6288.Soc.5 for further detail.)

History: SCP-6288 was discovered in June 1957 by civilian dendrochronologists Edmund Schulman and Tom Harlan. Schulman and Harlan, both from the Laboratory of Tree-Ring Research at the University of Arizona, were on expedition in Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest to acquire core samples from the bristlecone pines in the White Mountains.

Incident 6288-Acre
For the rest of 1957, Schulman forwarded his findings on SCP-6288 to the Laboratory of Tree-Ring Research over the course of several months. In missives, Schulman conservatively described SCP-6288-α's effects as "hallucinogenic", omitting more extranormal details found in his notes from the time.

Starting 1958, assets of the SCP Foundation were notified of SCP-6288 as a potential anomaly by the University of Arizona's president, Richard Harvill. In response, a joint detachment of Mobile Task Forces Beta-7 "Maz Hatters" and Theta-4 "Gardeners" was dispatched. Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest was secured on January 5th, 1958, and provisionally designated UE-205776.

Schulman and Harlan were detained as E-Class personnel and held at their homes for their exposure to SCP-6288.

Ⅳ-6288IL58 IL001E

Date: 01/06/1958
Interviewer: Dr. Markus A. Weston; Department of Botany, SCP Foundation
Interviewed: Mr. Thomas P. Harlan; College of Science, University of Arizona
Preface: Questioning E-Class subject for information on pending SCP object and exposure to potential biohazard(s).

  • Primary Directive: Acquire information on civilian's experience with the anomaly.
  • Secondary Directive: Access possible psychological/behavioral impairment from exposure to the anomaly.

Begin Log
[0:00:00] - Dr. Weston: The tape is rolling. My name is Markus Weston, and I am with the Forest Service. Sir, state your name for the record.
[0:00:07] - Mr. Harlan: Thomas Harlan. "Tom" for short. Has been for twenty-two years now.
[0:00:11] - Dr. Weston: Am I correct to assume that you, Mr. Harlan, are currently attending the university in Tucson, Arizona?
[0:00:16] - Mr. Harlan: You're right. I arrived in '56.
[0:00:18] - Dr. Weston: Yes; it says here with an undergraduate anthropology degree from Texas Tech. Is it also correct that you are working under a Dr. Edmund P. Schulman?
[0:00:27] - Mr. Harlan: Yes. I started last summer.
[0:00:29] - Dr. Weston: What has Dr. Schulman commissioned you for?
[0:00:32] - Mr. Harlan: Assisting him in field work. We've dated hundreds of pine trees throughout the Sierra Nevada together.
[0:00:37] - Dr. Weston: So this work led you to locations such as the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest?
[0:00:41] - Mr. Harlan: Yeah, we- we certainly spent a lot of time there.
[0:00:45] - Dr. Weston: What brought you and your professor to the forest?
[0:00:48] - Mr. Harlan: He found a lead from some samples of bristlecone trunks from a park ranger, Alvin something. They were brought in five years ago, and they were half General Sherman's age.9 Ed thought it was a good spot to get records of, and that we might find even older pines there.
[0:00:52] - Dr. Weston: Was Schulman correct in that last assumption?
[0:00:54] - Mr. Harlan: He sure was. He found a whole new half of the forest, completely off the trail. He was eager to go check it out, and told me to go find him if he didn't come back. I never had to, as Ed came running back with a core sample like he was a kid on Christmas. When he rested it on the table and we counted the core, it turned out to be just as old as Sherman; even more so.
[0:01:11] - Dr. Weston: And he found more trees in that age range?
[0:01:13] - Mr. Harlan: He started calling it "Methuselah's Grove", because every tree there was older than Methuselah. After he found that grove, I was unofficially left with the west half of the forest, while he went and took the east half. I almost thought he wanted a competition going on, but by the time I finished drawing samples from the southwestern trees, everything was like an assembly line.
[0:01:31] - Dr. Weston: An assembly line?
[0:01:32] - Mr. Harlan: Mhm. For that entire second week, I'd wake up to start counting tree rings and note every double that was caused by droughts. Ed went back down to his pines with his auger, recording trees and making his own map of the forest. By evening, Ed would come in with another load of growth cores in his arms for us to do our things again in the morning.
[0:001:50] - Dr. Weston: Would it always be that way?
[0:001:51] - Mr. Harlan: No, we found some reprieve from it. We first flew back to UA with the research once Ed realized he missed two Sunday masses in a row. The only thing that keeps that man from church is when he ties himself up in his work. And boy, his work must've spit in God's face when our second camping trip with the bristlecones took up the rest of July and well into August. So it was, the last six months consisting of on-again/off-again work trips to the White Mountains. Part of me is glad with being out there in nature, away from all the squabbling between McFarland and Goldwater. Another part of me is tired of missing the Wildcats for sitting and counting tree-rings.
[0:02:31] - Dr. Weston: You said Dr. Schulman doesn't often miss attendance in church, only when he is preoccupied by his job. Have you noticed any other differences in his behavior relating to your work in the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest?
[0:02:44] - Mr. Harlan: Yeah. When we went back to the forest, he was… distant.
[0:02:47] - Dr. Weston: Distant?
[0:02:48] - Mr. Harlan: Distant. In most senses of the word. While I kept by the campsite, Ed started pitching tent in the grove, sleeping with the trees. Wouldn't sleep much from what I could tell, and I'm not sure the soil is just to blame. As we began studying the groves and how they related with their environment — I know being on opposite halves of the forest would of course put distance between us, it covers more ground that way — but it still felt to me that Ed was being more reclusive than he should be.
[0:03:14] - Mr. Harlan: I tried to bridge this gap, but I could never really approach him when he was down there. Whenever I checked in on him, even from a distance I could tell he was a little… airy. (pause) Look, Dr. Weston, sir. I'm majoring in anthropology, not psychology. I don't want to paint Ed as crazy when he's not, when he could just be going through some midlife crises or other.
[0:03:39] - Dr. Weston: Mr. Harlan, I appreciate your loyalty to your professor, but may I remind you that your concerns do matter. If you have any doubts or concerns bearing the wellbeing of Schulman, yourself, or others, I am willing to hear you out.
[0:03:53] - Mr. Harlan: Thanks, Doc. You're a park ranger, alright. But I'm not a kid any more. (clears throat)
[0:04:00] - Mr. Harlan: When I got concerned over how much he went off doing his own thing, I went down there one day to talk to him about it. At least, I hoped I would; I couldn't think of what to say to him. I couldn't even decide upon a hello, as different ways to say it kept popping in my mind. By the time I got within ear range of him, I found him saying something in front of a tree that was… just a bunch of babbles. When I first heard it, I thought he had a heat stroke or something, so I called out to him. I startled him a bit, he acknowledged me in English like nothing happened, and after I backpedaled out of there, we never mentioned it to each other again. Looking back on it afterwards, I began to think it must've been Indian language, Hopi or the like. But Ed knows only English and some Spanish; that's it.
[0:04:50] - Dr. Weston: Did you ever witness Schulman speak Hopi after that event?
[0:04:52] - Mr. Harlan: Maybe once more? I know I caught him speaking in English a few times after that, but I never confronted him on it again, and I couldn't bring myself to eavesdrop.
[0:05:02] - Dr. Weston: Was there any other behavior from Schulman that you found odd?
[0:05:05] - Mr. Harlan: There was the last time I went with him, just in December. I was counting another core when I noticed he was at our little outside work station. He was going through were we kept our needles samples and collected pine cones, when he picked out a little square vial that had some powder in it. Without even looking at the label, he uncapped it, and gave it a sniff. He… he smiled, really lit up for a second, and then he patted down his shirt pocket. He usually kept a notepad there, but it wasn't there, so he set the vial on the workbench to go find it. That… that had my curiosity.
[0:05:39] - Mr. Harlan: When he was gone, I got up and picked up the bottle to see it for myself. It certainly looked like a pile of pollen alright, and even though the bottle was dated from November, it looked fairly fresh. Next, I uncapped it and held it up to my nose. It smelled like pollen too, but I nearly forgot the scent after what happened next. I heard a voice. It wasn't Ed, it wasn't one of the park rangers, there wasn't anyone around. But I heard a little voice ask me "is the pollen working for you, doctor?"
[0:06:09]: (silence)
[0:06:13] - Mr. Harlan: Something is with those trees, and I think they're doing something to Edmund. I hope he's okay. Promise me, you guys will check those trees and make sure that the professor is safe, right?
[0:06:25] - Dr. Weston: That is our job, Mr. Harlan; to protect. I was fully intending on visiting Dr. Schulman after my talk with you. Should I raise your concerns with him?
[0:06:35] - Mr. Harlan: If it will help anyone, yes.
End Log - [0:06:42]


Closing Statement: Mr. Harlan was labeled low-concern due to limited knowledge of and interaction with SCP-6288, and provided with civilian contacts with Dr. Weston for any further discussions.

Dr. Weston departed to Dr. Schulman's residence for interview, including questions concering subjects presented by Harlan.

Findings on UE-205776 were forwarded to the SCP Foundation Classification Committee for review. During review, Schulman suffered a fatal heart attack at his Tucson home on January 8th, dying at age 49. Dr. Weston, Researchers Brose and Cullum, and Mr. Harlan were placed into quarantine following. Autopsy of Schulman found no signs of negative impact from SCP-6288-α, and cause of death was attributed to preexisting genetic conditions, leaving Schulman's passing ruled as coincidental. (See Autopsy Report E-6288-2 for further detail.)

On January 9th, UE-205776 was redesignated Area-6288, with SCP-6288 catalogued and provided Euclid object class and Green threat level classification.11 Quarantine was lifted, and Dr. Weston was appointed Head of SCP-6288 Research. Schulman's natural death was granted disclosure to news outlets, and Schulman was given private burial at Evergreen Memorial Park on January 10th.

Incident 6288-Briar
In the weeks prior to his death, Schulman had authored an abridged description of SCP-6288's discovery, coinciding with the pseudofactual account described in his missives with the Laboratory of Tree-Rings. Schulman had also reached out to National Geographic, who had sent W. Robert Moore to document SCP-6288.

In March 1958, publications of National Geographic magazine included Schulman's article, accompanied with Moore's photographs, wherein Schulman identified Area-6288 as "Methuselah Walk", and SCP-6288 as "Pine Alpha".12 Embedded agents in the National Geographic Society were unable to notice and intercept article prior to publication before the monthly issue was discontinued.

Due to prominence of National Geographic publications and omittance of SCP-6288's anomaly, the O5 Council ruled in favor of clandestinely containing SCP-6288 in compliance with the United States Forest Service in place of rescinding all March 1958 issues from the public.

Abridged History of Containment
Dr. Thomas Harlan was kept in contacts as a third party contractor for anthropological studies until his formal hiring by the SCP Foundation in 1963. Harlan was added to the SCP-6288 Research Team in 1965 as Dr. Markus Weston's assistant. Weston remained head of SCP-6288 Research until his retirement in 1978, when Harlan was promoted to the position.

Provided below is a brief collection of excerpts from notable interactions with SCP-6288.

Date: 03/21/1958
Interviewer: Dr. Markus A. Weston
Interviewed: SCP-6288-1
Translator: D-006279


[…]
[0:06:07] - SCP-6288-1: About your gatherers. They use the word "Methuselah". It's meaning escapes us.
[0:06:14] - Dr. Weston: Oh. It's a name. For you, actually.
[0:06:20] - SCP-6288-1: For me?
[0:06:21] - Dr. Weston: That's what Schulmann called you, and it caught on with some of us. He named you after the Methuselah of the Bible… er, an old human story. Methuselah lived for almost a thousand years, the longest-life of any man in that story.
[0:06:40] - SCP-6288-1: You're willing to lend the name of your eldest to another?
[0:06:45] - Dr. Weston: There's not many Methuselahs to confuse you with. And frankly, I think it's easier than calling you six thousand-dash-one.
[0:06:54] - SCP-6288-1: (D-006279 coughs) I don't think I'll ever understand your cloud of names. If only if I could think how you think.
[…]


(Please contact RAISA to access the designated archive for full transcripts of SCP-6288 interviews.)

Incident 6288-Copse
On September 4th, 2008, an arsonist set fire to the Schulman Grove Visitor Center and several bristlecone pines in Decoy-6288. Subterranean Site-6288 and its contents were undamaged, but the building and all public exhibits within were destroyed. Actions to rebuild the center began the next day, and Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest was closed to the public for two years until reconstruction was complete. The perpetrator, identified as James Betz Sr, 35, was detained by OTF Roosevelt-Inyo and indoctrinated into the SCP Foundation as D-015699. Site-6288's fire protocols were revised.

Incident 6288-Dote
At 5:46 MST on February 28th, 2013, Inyo-12 Dorothy Methers, the then active watchman of Outpost Central, reported the sound of several gunshots heard from southern Area-6288. Radio dispatches accounted the location for all members of OTF Roosevelt-Inyo aside from Inyo-5 Klyde Patricks, as well as uncovering the absence of Dr. Harlan. Three OTF members were dispatched to investigate the disruption and locate the missing personnel. Attempts at locating the source with the assistance of SCP-6288 was ineffective, as no directions were provided. Comments from SCP-6288-148 seemed to indicate that they were ordered not to assist in the search under the orders of SCP-6288-1.

Roosevelt-Inyo advanced to SCP-6288-1's location, where Dr. Harlan was found in possession of Agent Patricks' body. Patricks was deceased upon arrival, possessing three bullet wounds caused by Harlan's pistol. Harlan refused to comply with Roosevelt-Inyo's orders, and defied detainment by jumping off the hillside. Dr. Harlan suffered severe fatal injuries on the rocky terrain, and Roosevelt-Inyo declared him dead on scene at 6:02 MST.

Autopsy of Harlan confirmed the cause of death as a hemotoma caused by severe trauma to the parietal skull. Investigation of a bruised lung led to the discovery of a film of fossilized SCP-6288-α fixed to the mucosa of Harlan's trachea. The means of how SCP-6288 resin rapidly fossilized within Harlan's lifetime is not understood. Consumption of the SCP-6288-α amber by a D-Class personnel revealed that the biohazard induced in SCP-6288-β the prolonged intention of withholding an as-of-yet unidentified location.

Agents of MTF Beta-7 and Theta-4 were called onsite for post-incident investigation. Involved SCP-6288 were questioned for their involvement in the incident.

I6288D Interrogation: SCP-6288-1

Date: 02/28/2013
Interrogator: Dr. Owen Crankshaw, Acting Head of SCP-6288 Research
Interrogated: SCP-6288-1 "Methuselah"
Translator: D-015699
Additional Personnel: β-7 Marissa Taylor, θ-4 Annie Matricia (security detail)
Preface: Questioning SCP subject of events of Incident-6288-Dote.


[0:00:01] - Dr. Crankshaw: Methuselah, do I need to explain why I am here?
[0:00:05] - SCP-6288-1: (D-015699 shakes head) Dr. Crankshaw, I cannot think what you are thinking. You have to tell me the reason for your visit.
[0:00:10] - Dr. Crankshaw: I am here due to what happened with Dr. Harlan.
[0:00:13] - SCP-6288-1: I give my condolences. Tom Harlan was my friend, just as much as he was yours.
[0:00:17] - Dr. Crankshaw: Your grove refused to help us in what could've and might just well've been a security breach, apparently because you told them to stay quiet. Unfortunately, given the way we've seen things so far, you're an accessory to a murder at best, or the real murderer at worst.
[0:00:27] - SCP-6288-1: You suspect I brought the death of two men?
[0:00:30] - Dr. Crankshaw: One had bullets in his body while the other had tree resin in his.
[0:00:33] - SCP-6288-1: I did not do harm unto Harlan nor the other.
[0:00:36] - Dr. Crankshaw: Then who did?
[0:00:37]: D-015699 shows hesitation.
[0:00:39] - SCP-6288-1: It… it was our father.
[0:00:41] - Dr. Crankshaw: SCP-6288-Enoch caused this?
[0:00:43] - SCP-6288-1: Yes. (pause) This is more than I should say.
[0:00:46] - Dr. Crankshaw: More than you should say!? (Dr. Crankshaw gestures downhill) Apparently Enoch has caused the death of two people, just last night! It is our concern to know if this has happened before or if it will happen again!
[0:00:53]: D-015699 does not respond.
[0:00:58] - Dr. Crankshaw: Dash-one, answer me!
[0:01:00] - SCP-6288-1: Father prefers the company of his messengers. Yes, he talks with his spawn, but only when he wants to. I am sure he feels he does not need visitors.
[0:01:08] - Dr. Crankshaw: What does that have to do with Harlan killing Patricks?
[0:01:10] - SCP-6288-1: It has to do with how three summers ago, Harlan managed to visit him. While he did not want him visiting, father allowed him so long as there wouldn't be any more; he made Harlan one of his messengers.
[0:01:21] - Dr. Crankshaw: You say that Harlan found Enoch?
[0:01:23] - SCP-6288-1: A feat few have done. And father asks of his children to ensure that his messengers ensures his secrecy. (pause) He puts his trust in us, but I feel I am breaking his trust telling you this.
[0:01:35] - Dr. Crankshaw: Why are you disclosing this now?
[0:01:36] - SCP-6288-1: Maybe now that Harlan is gone, there is no longer that lie to maintain. And maybe it's guilt, for betraying your people's trust in mine. One of your own hid knowledge from you, and perhaps I was wrong to let that happen.
[0:01:41] - Dr. Crankshaw: You could start amending that by disclosing the location of SCP-6288-Enoch.
[0:01:46] - SCP-6288-1: (pause) I can't.
[0:01:47] - Dr. Crankshaw: "Can't," or "won't?" Could you or would you make sure we have him under watch so nothing like last night will happen again?
[0:01:53] - SCP-6288-1: I cannot. I want to agree with you, for Harlan, but I can't think how you think… I know that would be the wrong thing too.
[0:02:03] - Dr. Crankshaw: (To security detail) Dammit, this is going nowhere, get the D-Class. (to SCP-6288-1) Before we go, SCP-6288-1, I want you to remember a little saying we have; "the path to Hell is paved with good intentions."
[0:02:09]: Agents Matricia and Taylor grab D-015699 by the arms.
[0:02:15] - SCP-6288-1: I will. And I hope you remember it as well, when you next walk our garden trail.
End Log - [[0:02:20]]


Closing Statement: Security increased around southern treeline of Area-6288 until further notice. Construction of fence is pending approval.

Search for SCP-6288-Enoch is forbidden outside of authorized expeditions conducted by Mobile Task Force Theta-4.

Found among Dr. Harlan's possessions was a growth core taken from an unidentified SCP-6288 instance. Study of the tree rings lead to the dating of the sample at 5,062 years of age.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License