SCP-6283-J
rating: +28+x

NOTICE FROM THE FOUNDATION RECORDS AND INFORMATION SECURITY ADMINISTRATION

The following documentation details information about an anomaly that is not yet well studied by the Foundation. The extent of the object's anomalous properties are not known, and the information contained within this document may be inaccurate. Proceed at your own caution.

— Maria Jones, Director, RAISA

ball.jpg

Close-up photograph taken of SCP-6283-J during Experiment 6283-J-026.

Item #: SCP-6283-J

Object Class: Euclid Keter

Special Containment Procedures: SCP-6283-J is to be kept inside a locked, opaque metal box with dimensions larger than 0.5m on all sides. As the anomalous properties of SCP-6283-J are not yet fully clear, personnel are to refrain from interacting with the object outside of testing. Experimentation on SCP-6283-J is to be performed under strict safety measures.

Description: SCP-6283-J takes the appearance of a beach ball, roughly spherical and approximately 45 centimeters in diameter. It is composed of a soft exterior shell of unknown composition1, with a gaseous mixture inside. Its shell consists of multiple sections with differing color, and on its top is a small rigid appendage that can be opened to access the inside. The gaseous mixture inside has a composition similar to atmospheric air with a significantly higher proportion of carbon dioxide.2

SCP-6283-J was discovered within the personal living quarters of Dr. Seojin Cho on August 23rd, 2003. Despite initially appearing non-anomalous, it soon came to Dr. Cho's attention that she could not determine the origin of the object.3 As such, the object was deemed anomalous and immediately put to containment.

Addendum 6283-J-1: The following is a transcript of Experiment 6283-J-011, in which Dr. Cho conducted an interview with SCP-6283-J. Its purpose was to determine whether or not the object is capable of understanding and/or responding to human speech, and if possible, learn more information about its properties and origin.

[BEGIN LOG]

Dr. Cho is sitting at one side of a small table. On the other side is SCP-6283-J, placed on a concave pedestal to prevent it from unpredictable movement.

Cho: Hello, SCP-6283-J.

SCP-6283-J:

Cho: I see you are not responding to my greeting.

Dr. Cho stares at SCP-6283-J for roughly two seconds.

Cho: Okay then. I will now ask you a few questions. First of all, do you originate from a Group of Interest? Are you part of an attempt to spy on the Foundation from the inside?

SCP-6283-J:

Cho: Not that you would say yes even if you were. But if you were, you won't have much luck being here; nothing interesting goes on in this site.

SCP-6283-J:

Cho: Next question: are you sentient? Are you some kind of anomalous animal that looks like a beach ball?

SCP-6283-J:

Cho: You know, we weren't really considering that possibility before, but going over all the possible scenarios we had about you, we found out that you being a sentient lifeform was well within the realm of possibilities. So if you actually are sentient, and you know, you can feel things, then I deeply apologize for that time we sampled your insides through your top orifice.

SCP-6283-J:

Cho: Or bottom. We're not yet sure which way is up.

SCP-6283-J:

Cho: Hmm. (pause) Do you have a name?

SCP-6283-J:

Cho: Or… a serial number? Anything you were called before you came here?

SCP-6283-J:

Cho: Well, alright then. I take it that you are either unable or unwilling to respond to my questions. I'll conclude this interview here; there's no point continuing for now.

SCP-6283-J:

Cho: It was certainly interesting talking to you.

Dr. Cho stands up and leaves the room.

[END LOG]


Closing Statement: The interview has failed to extract any useful information about SCP-6283-J. It has also been shown likely that SCP-6283-J is unable to understand or at least respond to human speech. However, the possibility that it is capable of doing so and is simply unwilling has not yet been entirely ruled out, and must still be put under consideration.

Addendum 6283-J-2: The following is an abridged summary of additional experiments performed on SCP-6283-J. For detailed documentation regarding these experiments, refer to Document 6283-J-026.

ID Method Result Conclusion
Experiment 6283-J-012 SCP-6283-J is exposed to a repeating cycle of bright light and near-complete darkness for a total of 5 minutes, and changes are carefully monitored. Even after multiple repeated tests, no changes are observed to SCP-6283-J during the process, save for a negligible amount of air loss independent of the light stimulus. It appears to be unlikely that SCP-6283-J reacts to light, but further testing is required to eliminate alternate possibilities.
15 tests omitted
Experiment 6283-J-028 SCP-6283-J is carefully placed on a still surface of water in an isolated room. SCP-6283-J floats on the surface, with barely any part of it submerged. This behavior is consistent with predictions made from its pre-recorded weight and volume. Furthermore, it does not exhibit any signs of movement. SCP-6283-J appears to lack any anomalous buoyant properties. It can also be assumed that SCP-6283-J is incapable of movement on still water.
15 tests omitted
Experiment 6283-J-044 D-11473 is instructed to gently press the surface of SCP-6283-J using his right index finger. SCP-6283-J deforms at the pressure point, similar to Experiment 6283-J-037. It does not appear to have a reaction to the presence of D-11473. Furthermore, D-11473 has reported no noticeable physical alterations to his body after the experiment. SCP-6283-J does not appear to react specifically to physical contact with a human.
6 tests omitted
Experiment 6283-J-051 D-11473 is instructed to toss SCP-6283-J lightly onto a table, while vocalizing statements in English of varying degrees of truth. SCP-6283-J appears to land in various orientations independent of the vocalized statement. D-11473 has also reported no noticeable physical alterations to his body after the experiment. The physical behavior of SCP-6283-J does not appear to be affected by vocalized statements.
7 tests omitted
Experiment 6283-J-059 D-11473 and D-13948 is instructed to hold a scripted conversation in the presence of SCP-6283-J. There are no noticeable changes to SCP-6283-J during the experiment, and the conversation concludes as planned with no deviations from the script. SCP-6283-J does not appear to react to or affect scripted conversations.
2 tests omitted
Experiment 6283-J-062 D-11473 and D-13948 is instructed to play out a short comedy sketch in the presence of SCP-6283-J. There are no noticeable changes to SCP-6283-J during the experiment, and the performance concludes as planned with no deviations from the script. SCP-6283-J does not appear to react to or affect scripted comedic performances.
9 tests omitted
Experiment 6283-J-072 Multiple D-class subjects are instructed to perform an abridged version of Shakespeare's Hamlet in the presence of SCP-6283-J. There are no noticeable changes to SCP-6283-J for the entire duration of the experiment, and the performance concludes as planned with no deviations from the script. SCP-6283-J does not appear to react to or affect performances of dramatic works by William Shakespeare.
29 tests omitted
Experiment 6283-J-102 Dr. Cho holds a non-anomalous beach ball similar in appearance to SCP-6283-J, and punctures it with a knife in the presence of the object. No noticeable changes are reported to SCP-6283-J, Dr. Cho, or any of Dr. Cho's relatives. SCP-6283-J does not appear to be able to perceive, or at least react to, non-anomalous beach balls.
82 tests omitted
Experiment 6283-J-185 D-11473 is instructed to listen to music in the presence of SCP-6283-J using headphones. Meanwhile, SCP-6283-J is exposed to a non-lethal amount of alpha radiation. D-11473 reports no changes to the music for the entire duration of the experiment. SCP-6283-J does not appear to affect digital music in any way, even while being exposed to alpha radiation.
7 tests omitted
Experiment 6283-J-193 D-12558 is instructed to listen to music in the presence of SCP-6283-J using headphones while being exposed to a non-lethal amount of alpha radiation. D-12558 reports no changes to the music for the entire duration of the experiment. SCP-6283-J does not appear to affect the perception of music in subjects exposed to alpha radiation.

Addendum 6283-J-3: As of April 23rd, 2004, testing on SCP-6283-J has been halted indefinitely due to budgetary concerns. As the extent of SCP-6283-J's anomalous properties is not yet fully known, its containment class has been upgraded to Keter as a precautionary measure.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License