SCP-6242

rating: +24+x
Item#: SCP-6242
Level2
Containment Class:
euclid
Secondary Class:
none
Disruption Class:
vlam
Risk Class:
warning

6242A.jpg

SCP-6242 pre-containment

Special Containment Procedures: SCP-6242 and the surrounding property is to be monitored by a camera feed, and surrounded by a 3 meter tall fence, which is to be checked weekly for damages.

One log (pine, spruce or birch) is to be sawn once monthly using SCP-6242. The sawed log is to be immediately stored in on-site biological hazard storage unit until SCP-6242-1 growth is observed, after which it is to be incinerated immediately.

SCP-6242 is to be linked to the power source only for the monthly sawing, and approved testing purposes. All testing requires a written permit from the site senior researcher.

Saw operators and on-site researchers must wear full biohazard suits when interacting with SCP-6242, or any affected lumber. Site is to be disinfected after each sawing session whether SCP-6242-1 has been observed or not. All other lumber material is to be stored in plastic wrapping, and kept in a separate storage from all other wood, tools and active pathways.

Any personnel displaying symptoms of SCP-6242-1 infection must be reported to a level-3 personnel immediately.

Description: SCP-6242 appears to be a standard saw commonly used in the production of planks through sawing lumber. SCP-6242 or its parts lack any signs of a manufacturer or serial numbers, making the tracking of its origin impossible.

Logs sawed using SCP-6242 begin to develop severe fungal growth1 within 3–10 days. The time of growth varies between the humidity the lumber2 is exposed to, as well as between the species of tree. The fungi remain on the affected lumber for several days before dying, the growth process leaving affected lumber unfit for construction purposes.

Upon maturing, SCP-6242-1 instances spread spores which become airborne. These spores enter the human body through airways, and eventually reach the brain where they will form a small mycelium within 4–6 days after the initial contact. SCP-6242-1 infection seems to affect the infected individual mainly psychologically, affecting their behavior, opinions and attitudes regarding topics related to nature and nature preservation. The symptoms have been similar in all test subjects, though the severity seems to vary between individuals.

Observed symptoms of SCP-6242-1 infections include:

  • Strong tendencies of preferring vegan food.
  • Varying levels of distress and anxiety at the thought of forest cutting, killing animals, global warming and similar topics.
  • High interest in nature related topics overall, regardless of the individuals previously held interests.
  • Aggression and violent tendencies when distressed about topics of relevance.
  • Completely or nigh-completely healed pollen-, animal- and food related allergies.

Approximately 30 days without any logs sawed, SCP-6242 itself begins to rapidly develop fungal growth. The fungi developing on the saw will die in less than 24 hours due to lack of nutrients, although the growth persists due to the continuous growth of new fungi.

Discovery: 21/3/2008 the Foundation was alerted of the anomaly located in the town of Vemdalen, Sweden by a field agent reporting of news of the sawmill workers all developing drastic changes to their behavior during a short time period. The anomaly was quickly located and recognized in the Nilsson family sawmill. SCP-6242, as well as multiple piles of plank and half processed lumber were found growing instances of SCP-6242-1. The area was quickly closed off without incident.

The owner of the business, as well as all three workers were questioned before being amnesticized and released from Foundation custody after being deemed non-infective. The Foundation bought the property, as well as Nilsson saw business, after which the sawmill facilities were disinfected.

A coverup story of a severe mold outbreak was embedded into the local community to explain the recent problems and the end of family business to the locals.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License