SCP-6194
rating: +39+x
Item#: 6194
Level3
Containment Class:
esoteric
Secondary Class:
thaumiel
Disruption Class:
vlam
Risk Class:
warning

Special Containment Procedures: Under normal circumstances, SCP-6194 ensures its own containment. SCP-6194's activation mechanisms are to be propagated in all public educational facilities from ages █ to ██ within the following nations:

SCP-6194's is to be propagated in all public educational facilities under the guise of educational reforms. Secondary mechanisms will be incorporated into mathematics and social science textbooks. The following popular fiction texts have been altered to contain elements of SCP-6194's memetic structure prior to publication through Foundation assets implanted within the children's and young adult publishing industries.

[LIST EXPUNGED FOR BREVITY]

Repetition of these measures will be implemented in subsequent editions through the cooperation of instances of SCP-6194-1.

SCP-6194's implantation method will incorporate the propagation of specialized training through assigned course work and clandestine classes on several designated days each year. Students will be issued memory-altering agents and cover stories administered to explain the suspension of typical assigned course work.

Pending Ethics Committee approval and funding, the adaptation of SCP-6194's trigger mechanisms to additional host cultures through appropriate culturally specific memetic, religious and artistic mechanisms is subject to yearly review under principles of continual improvement.

Foundation personnel must submit Form 6194-1a after the creation of any SCP-6194-1 instances.

Whenever possible, Foundation personnel are to prioritize the survival and physical well-being of instances of SCP-6194-1 over that of Foundation personnel. All requests for termination or attempts at self-termination by instances are to be prevented through direct orders and if necessary physical force. Exemptions or violations of this procedure will trigger Ethics Committee formal ethical review, regardless of rank or circumstance.

All personnel ruled negligent in their treatment of SCP-6194-1 instances are subject to immediate disciplinary action.

Foundation employees will undergo memetic scans and background checks cross-referenced against Foundation operational records to determine if they are dormant or prior hosts of SCP-6194. Foundation employees recruited after undergoing an SCP-6194 activation and purge may access records of their actions under SCP-6194's influence.

Description: SCP-6194 is a passive memetic agent. At current estimates, approximately 12%1 of the civilian population are considered dormant hosts of SCP-6194. While SCP-6194 remains in a dormant state, hosts exhibit no anomalous behaviors or tendencies. With proper socialization, non-anomalous symptoms of SCP-6194 infection do not significantly inhibit most hosts' ability to participate in daily life.2

Activation:
Certain specific "triggering" events can cause SCP-6194 to enter an active state. Hosts in whom SCP-6194 has entered an active state are designated SCP-6194-1.

  • Exposure to a variety of events or entities deemed anomalous, including:
    • Type Green reality distortions
    • Encounters with, or predation by, entities deviating significantly from either human or animal baselines.
    • Discovery or exploration of spaces or locations exhibiting anomalous properties
    • Exposure to confirmed thaumaturgic or other Type Blue activity.
  • Certain spoken activation phrases in Esperanto.3
  • [DATA EXPUNGED]4

Once an instance of SCP-6194-1 has been created, the subject undergoes a Class Y Neuro-Memetic Cascade, heretofore referred to as a "activation." Observers and SCP-6194-1 instances indicate that in many cases this is indicated by obvious behaviors, including but not limited to: seizure, panic attacks, anxiety, glossolalia, fugue states and fight-or-flight responses. In some cases these can extend to physical violence; hosts have described vivid hallucinations. These episodes rarely last longer than several minutes.5

Following the activation event, an instance of SCP-6194-1 undergoes a number of radical personality and intellectual shifts. Instances of SCP-6194-1 immediately identify as a loyal member of the SCP Foundation.6

Other mental effects upon an activated SCP-6194-1 instance include, but are not limited to:

Quality Explanation
Loyalty SCP-6194-1 instances are utterly loyal to the SCP Foundation regardless of prior ideological or political affiliation.
Compliance SCP-6194-1 instances obey all lawful orders from Foundation personnel as if they were professional superiors, regardless of self-interest or personal or moral objections to these orders.
Disassociation SCP-6194-1 instances remember their prior identities, but often only as an abstract concern. Upon encountering Foundation personnel, approximately 25% of SCP-6194-1 instances refer to themselves by serial numbers, beginning with a "D."7
Discretion SCP-6194-1 instances will, on their own initiative, attempt to contact the Foundation and collect or destroy evidence of the anomalous through various means in accordance with personal ethics and scruples. They will not seek to contact local authorities.
Diminished Empathy SCP-6194-1 instances show little distress when encountering death or suffering. Deceased or suffering loved ones are acknowledged but do not meaningfully inhibit productivity. SCP-6194-1 instances will engage in violence to preserve their lives, the lives of Foundation personnel, or that of civilians.
Utilitarianism Instances of SCP-6194-1 will volunteer their lives, property and expertise to assist Foundation operatives. Instances have willingly depleted personal wealth or savings, taken professionally disqualifying actions such as cover-ups and embezzlement, or even volunteered to embark on suicidal fact-gathering or containment missions. Although SCP-6194-1 instances would prefer to avoid discovery doing so, the prospects of medical, legal or professional consequences are not sufficient to dissuade them from doing so if it will benefit civilians and/or Foundation interests.

Aside from a limited background in Foundation terminology and policy at the time of the memetic agent's latest propagation, SCP-6194-1 do not exhibit any additional skills, such as proficiency in violence or wilderness survival.8 Activation is therefore beneficial primarily to containment efforts, and secondarily in providing an advantageous emotional and mental state for instances' own survival and that of others when encountering the anomalous.

Deactivation: Many instances of SCP-6194-1 exhibit symptoms consistent with long-term stress or anxiety disorders, and the severity of these symptoms corresponds to the duration of an instance's activation. Furthermore, SCP-6194's active state decays rapidly during REM sleep, requiring instances be prevented from a full Ultradian sleep cycle or repeatedly reactivated through triggering events.

It is therefore recommended to all Foundation agents that they purge instances of SCP-6194-1 as soon as they offer no further utility to containment efforts, and once their safety and that of others is assured. This can be accomplished in one of two ways:

  • Allowing instances one complete Ultradian sleep cycle in a calm environment.
  • A series of specific phrases immediately inducing REM sleep. This method is discouraged, as complications are far more likely to result from manual deactivation.

Post-Activation: Once an instance of SCP-6194-1 has been "deactivated," they undergo a number of memetic and psychological symptoms, which may include but are not limited to:

  • Within two additional Ultradian sleep cycles, the total memetic purge of SCP-6194. With rare exceptions, a former instance cannot be "activated" again after this point.
  • Partial or complete short-term conscious amnesia. Former instances do not consciously remember actions or experiences taken under the influence of SCP-6194.
  • Mild or moderate brain or neurological damage consistent with burnout.
  • Mild or moderate changes to personality, political or religious ideology, and attitudes towards authority figures.
  • An increased risk of developing post-traumatic stress, sleep, and/or nightmare disorders.9

Obligations: The Foundation is obligated to monitor former instances of SCP-6194-1 for potential containment breaches. As such, the Ethics Committee has also therefore ruled that the Foundation may issue instances of SCP-6194-1 compensation for their time in Foundation service.

Former instances of SCP-6194-1 are entitled to compensatory and medical stipends delivered through one of several Foundation front non-profits. These stipends will be administered under Fund SCP-6194.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License