SCP-6189
rating: +58+x
Item#: 6189
Level2
Containment Class:
safe
Secondary Class:
none
Disruption Class:
vlam
Risk Class:
warning

Special Containment Procedures: SCP-6189-1 is to be housed within a standard climate-controlled greenhouse located at Site-██. Personnel exhibiting any open wounds, bleeding, or scabbing regardless of severity may not access SCP-6189-1's enclosure. A full-body inspection will be performed upon all personnel prior to and after entry.

Every week, researchers are provided During periods of approved experimentation, researchers may requisition a weekly sample of 3 liters of human or animal blood to nourish SCP-6189-1. Additional supplies are provided as needed from donors registered to the Foundation's Tissue, Organ and Blood Donations program.1

SCP-6189-2 and -3 are to be kept inside a standard equipment locker within SCP-6189-1's enclosure.

Items SCP-6189-4 and -5 have no anomalous properties and are stored within Site-██'s Archives in the Historical Resources section. Soft copies are freely available upon request.

Items SCP-6189-6 and -7 will be stored within Site-██'s Thaumaturgic Artifacts sector in sealed, camera-monitored containment lockers with a dedicated TRISMEGUS-level thaumaturgic countermeasure apparatus (TCA). Researchers may request access to cell cultures of SCP-6189-6's samples for Daevite geneological research and targeted thaumic experiments.

Access to the original SCP-6189-6 may be requested by personnel with Head Researcher clearance or higher.

In addition to the aforementioned TRISMEGUS-level TCA, SCP-6189-7 will be stored within a chilled containment locker. Access to SCP-6189-7 requires O5 approval, renewed monthly, and is limited to the exact parameters of any proposed experiments. Attempts to access SCP-6189-7 without permission will be logged; personnel without permission are to be detained, interrogated, and examined for memetic tampering.

Description: SCP-6189 is a collection of artifacts associated with Daevite thaumaturgy drawn from various periods of material culture. The oldest item, a polished slab of worked limestone, dates to the Ḳastau period during the early Bronze Age, while the most recent item is a small sketchbook of modern manufacture. Chemical and forensic analysis suggest the last item was created in 19██.

SCP-6189-1 is a circular ritual bowl composed of anomalous wood approximately 600cm wide and 300cm deep. It is roughly funnel-shaped, with a wide, shallow outer lip tapering to a steep internal hollow approximately 300cm wide. The bottom of the bowl is rough and pockmarked with hollows. The underside of the bowl is rough and bulbous, like a tree knot. Genetic analysis shows limited resemblance to non-anomalous Prunus persicas2.

Kant scans of SCP-6189-1 indicate both Akiva and Hume readings consistent with a religious thaumaturgical focus.

Dormancy
In its "dormant" state, SCP-6189-1 resembles petrified driftwood. The item was assumed inactive upon initial receipt. After Incident 04/18/██, SCP-6189-1 first exhibited properties typical for its period of active use.

When any bleeding animal ("subject") is brought within approximately 4m of SCP-6189-1, the subject is rapidly exsanguinated by unknown means. This phenomenon will hereby be referred to as a "sacrifice." Recently deceased and living subjects both undergo exsanguination at equal rates. Blood is drawn directly from its source and deposited within SCP-6189-1, where it is absorbed.

Prior to modern blood transfusion methods, rates of exanguination suggest exposure would prove fatal for most adult hominids after two minutes.

Active
After an initial sacrifice of between 5 and 6 liters takes place, a dormant SCP-6189-1 enters an active state and undergoes significant alterations. Petrified external tissues are shed as rapid tissue growth replaces the outer layers with a rich brown-red bark. The outer rim of the bowl now exhibits a ring of stiff, palmately lobed leaves. These leaves vary in color, from deep red to soft green.

As part of the initial sacrifice event, SCP-6189-1 rapidly extrudes a trunk and root structures from the bole at its base until they penetrate the soil to a depth of approximately 500cm. These are slender and do not appear to provide SCP-6189-1 sustenance. After the 500cm point, the roots curve sharply horizontal and spread through the surrounding soil.

The "sacrifice" effect of SCP-6189-1 continues to occur in its active state. However, blood received in excess of SCP-6189-1's initial requirements pools within the bowl. SCP-6189-1 radiates a consistent high background hume count.

The active SCP-6189-1 rapidly desiccates regardless of access to water or local temperature and humidity. It appears primarily hematophagic and requires approximately 6 liters per month. SCP-6189-1 does not require access to sunlight or exposure to ultraviolet light. Desiccation does not appear fatal; SCP-6189-1 has been allowed to petrify 4 times since receipt and revived with subsequent sacrifice events to no apparent ill effect.

Acquisition: SCP-6189 was delivered to Foundation custody in an unmarked parcel delivered to Professor Ian Thomas through [redacted], a Foundation front corporation. As per regulation 501a ("Contact Between Foundation Personnel and Individuals of Interest") Professor Thomas' connection with the sender is currently under investigation.

This is a show of good faith, Professor.

Contemplate: the seed, the graft, and the cutting.

- ██████, "SCP-140-A"

Anthropological Analysis:

Foreword

The picture our sources, all heavily biased, paint of the Daevite people is not a flattering one. But the operative word is people. Too often researchers approach the daeva as malicious nemeses, but our superficial evidence suggests h. sapiens daeva - and the baseline h. sapiens sapiens they lived alongside and ruled over - were as capable of empathy, artistic expression, loyalty and sacrifice as we are. Their values may seem alien and barbaric to us, but so would many of their original contemporaries prior to their anomalous perpetuation.

We must therefore begin from the assumption that SCP-6189-1 and its associated paraphenalia served a tangible, practical purpose to the ancient Daeva.


Sketch Analysis

Incident Report 04/18/██

LEVEL 3 ACCESS REQUIRED | PRESENT CREDENTIALS
Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License