SCP-6180
rating: +55+x

1/6180 LEVEL 1/6180
CLASSIFIED
classified-bar.svg
classified-bar.svg
classified-bar.svg
classified-bar.svg
classified-bar.svg
classified-bar.svg
Item #: SCP-6180
Euclid

Item #: SCP-6180

Object Class: Euclid

Special Containment Procedures: With the exception of particularly well-observed Contact Events, SCP-6180 presents only a low-level threat to Foundation secrecy. Most Contact Events may be explained by temporary psychosis, but witnesses and participants may be administered Class B amnestics at the discretion of Project Director Okafor.

Foundation personnel with Clearance Level 3 or higher are automatically approved for Protocol Foxtrot-44 (A description of Protocol Foxtrot-44 is included in addenda 6180.B1). Foundation employees lower than Level 3 may apply for Protocol Foxtrot-44 a maximum of once every three months. Priority is to be given to personnel with Clearance Level 2 or Mobile Task Force operatives who work in crowded public spaces. Implementation of Protocol Foxtrot-44 is to be performed by MTF Zeta-12 "Cecum Slicers."

Description: SCP-6180 is an anomalous connection between otherwise unrelated individuals associated with the human appendix.

In almost1every human being, the DNA present in all cells of the appendix is inconsistent with DNA in the rest of the body. Instead, genes in all appendix cells are an exact match for another individual somewhere on Earth. This relationship is always reciprocal: that is, if the DNA in Person A's appendix is a match for Person B, the DNA in Person B's appendix will likewise always match that of Person A. The SCP-6180-mediated relationship between humans who contain one another's appendiceal DNA are known as SCP-6180-Antagonists or simply "antagonists."

There is no demographic pattern, except that of age, that determines which humans are antagonists of each other. An individual's antagonist is completely random with respect to sex, race, location of birth, ethnicity, or any other mental or physical attributes. However, all antagonists are born within three months of each other: it is currently theorized that the SCP-6180 connection is formed between embryos of 10 to 85 days post-fertilization. Notably, this usually precedes the development of the appendix.

One of the most notable anomalous effects of SCP-6180 is the inverse correlation of life events involving success and levels of happiness between two antagonists. If an individual achieves a major personal or professional accomplishment, their antagonist has a 32% chance of suffering a personal or professional failure of a roughly similar nature within five days. Conversely, if an individual has a major personal, economic, or emotional setback, their antagonist will have a 36% chance of experiencing an analogous success or positive event within a five-day timeframe.2

Examples of Correlated Life History Events Connected to SCP-6180

Trigger Effect on Antagonist
Jeong Myung-Ren, 23 year old male living in Incheon, Republic of Korea, becomes engaged to his romantic partner. Rajni Bannerjee, 23 year old female living in Kharagpur, India, becomes depressed after her long-term romantic partner unexpectedly leaves her for another person.
Can Özer, 53 year old male living in Istanbul, Turkey, loses ₺450,000 on the stock market in one day. Vittorio Ruiz, 53 year old male living in San Carlos de Bolivar, Argentina, is offered a chance to invest in a friend's taxi business that will become successful, eventually making Ruiz enough money to buy three more acres of land.
Zen Lu, 41 year old female living in Xi'an, China, receives a promotion at her workplace and purchases a more expensive apartment. Liu Qiang, 40 year old female living in Shenzen, China, is dismissed from her job for poor performance and is compelled to move back in with family.
Sade Odegbami, 18 year old female living in Okeho, Nigeria, is awarded a full four-year scholarship to the University of Lagos. Luke Ehlrich, 18 year old male living in Carson City, United States, is sentenced to four years in prison for selling methamphetamine, an unexpectedly long sentence for a first-time offender.
Lisa Gillard, 61 year old female living in Hamilton, New Zealand, accidentally kills her dog - to which she was noticeably emotionally attached - by running it over with her car. Thiago Montes, 61 year old male living in Campinas, Brazil, learns his daughter and her family will be moving back to Campinas from distant Fortaleza and becomes significantly more elevated in mood.
Fatima Mannan, 5 year old female living in Rabat, Morocco, is given to the care of a foster family who treats her with kindness and will eventually formally adopt her. Anatoly Keselva, 6 year old male living in Krasnoyarsk, Russia, rapidly begins to show neurological symptoms and is diagnosed with cerebral palsy.

Contact Events


When two antagonists come into close proximity and make visual contact with each other, they invariably begin to display anomalous behavior, indicating SCP-6180 has a cognitohazardous element. These interactions have been termed SCP-6180-Contact Events. Due to the large and globally dispersed human population, Contact Events are very uncommon (estimated at 100-150 instances per year) and because of their isolated and psychological nature, rarely present a threat of being perceived as anomolous. The large majority of Contact Events can be sufficiently explained to the public as temporary psychosis or drug use: amnesticization of participants and witnesses, performed at the discretion of Project Director Okafor, are only required for an average of 23% of Contact Events per year.

Antagonist behavior in contact events is dependent on the individual's subtype of SCP-6180. There are three known subtypes, designated SCP-6180-1 to SCP-6180-3. Pairs of antagonists will invariably display the same subtype, with no observed instances of cross-subtype pairs.

Subtype SCP-6180-1

SCP-6180-1 individuals are by a large margin the most common, with an estimated 92% of the human population being of this subtype. Contact events between SCP-6180-1 individuals adheres to the following pattern without exception:

If two SCP-6180-1 antagonists are within a distance of approximately 145 meters of each other and make direct visual contact, they will cease whatever activity they have been performing and begin walking towards each other at a steady and deliberate pace, while maintaining eye contact. Individuals cannot be dissuaded from this course of action. However, if they see a knife or other sharp object and can easily acquire it without significantly deviating from their path and without breaking eye contact, they will do so.

At 73 meters from each other, antagonists will begin to walk more quickly, and verbalize direct insults or threats at each other as they approach. There is no discernible pattern to these vocalizations beyond their intense negativity and aggression.

After antagonists are within 35 meters, they will cease verbal communication and start making a grunting, gurgling noise often described by observers as "animalistic." They cease walking and begin to run at each other, however, their movements become unsteady and erratic: often they will fall and continue to approach each other while rapidly crawling on all four limbs.

Individuals will then attempt to physically incapacitate their antagonist before removing and consuming their antagonist's appendix. If individuals have acquired a sharp object they will use it to remove the appendix, but in the large majority of the cases they are unarmed and will extract the appendix with only fingernails and teeth. Antagonists do not display anomalous speed or strength as they fight, but will continue to do so until they successfully consume the appendix or expire from either wounds or exhaustion. Notably, individuals with no medical education are able to precisely locate the appendix's location within the body.

If antagonists are physically separated and removed from each other's presence, they will remain aggressive for a period of two to three hours before returning to normal, with no memory of unusual behavior or events.

Subtype SCP-6180-2

Subtype SCP-6180-2 is significantly less common than SCP-6180-1, comprising 4.5% of the global population. Prediction of SCP-6180-2 subtype presence is not exact without observing a Contact Event, but SCP-6180-2 individuals usually display high intelligence, low empathy, and are often diagnosed with borderline personality disorder or sociopathy.

Unlike SCP-6180-1 Contact Events, which require direct eye contact from both antagonists, SCP-6180-2 behavior can manifest even if only one antagonist sees the other, from any distance. SCP-6180-2 individuals do not display the aggressive, animalistic behavior of most Contact Events, and instead will begin to follow and track their antagonist in a patient, predatory manner. They will sometimes follow their antagonist to their place of residence, but will other times surreptitiously photograph or otherwise investigate the antagonist for a period of multiple days, while consciously not displaying unusual behavior to friends, family, or coworkers. They will also immediately make attempts to acquire weapons. After sufficiently preparing, individuals will kill their antagonist with as few witnesses as possible before cutting out and consuming the appendix.

If two SCP-6180-2 antagonists see each other, this will usually result in a situation where both try to outsmart and out-maneuver one another. For this reason, SCP-6180-2 Contact Events have on occasion lasted over 30 days before one antagonist successfully terminates the other.

Subtype SCP-6180-3

Approximately 3.5% of the human population does not have an antagonist, and their appendicial DNA matches the rest of their body. Consequently, no Contact Event is possible.3

Contact Events of both subtype SCP-6180-1 and SCP-6180-2 have been observed in individuals as young as 5 and as old as 98 years of age. An individual will not attack their antagonist if their antagonist's appendix has been previously removed: therefore Foundation employees with Clearance Level 3 or higher are strongly encouraged to receive appendectomies. Notably, exposing an individual to video footage or photographs of their antagonist will yield a minor cognitohazardous reaction in which they will profess an inexplicable and profound dislike of the pictured person.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License