SCP-6040
rating: +15+x
Item#: 6040
Level2
Containment Class:
esoteric
Secondary Class:
cernunnos
Disruption Class:
dark
Risk Class:
notice


Special Containment Procedures:
Any new discovered instances of SCP-6040 near urban or inhabited areas are to be reported and recovered by available agents if possible. If recovery is impossible due to environmental factors or lack of resources, a report of active specimen must be completed and sent to zib.ssenisub|gnikcartwc#zib.ssenisub|gnikcartwc.1 Specimens in uninhabited areas are to be reported, but not recovered unless they exceed the size of 1.4 meters when extended.

Individual specimens can easily be contained, but the Foundation cannot achieve containment of entire species because of its large population and many potential habitats across the world, due to the inherent need of appropriate and ethical housing for captured members of the species. Agents are recommended to ignore possible sightings of SCP-6040 unless there is clear evidence of the presence of a specimen engaging in predatory behavior. Captured subjects are to be sent to Wilson's Wildlife Solutions (WWS) for further care and study. Updates are to be transmitted in regular communications between WWS and USORPL-Site-64. If no specialized enclosures are currently available at WWS, specimens are to be temporarily kept in available facilities wherever possible . No currents plans are in motion for a specialized containment facility for specimens of SCP-6040.

Subjects under study are to be kept with others specimens in a enclosure imitating a wooded natural environment with the minimum size of a kilometer, with an additional 100 meters per specimen once the number of 3 has been exceeded. A buffer zone near the access point entrance must be absent of any obstruction to the line of sight of cameras. Cameras are to be hidden or protected by a plexiglass enclosure. Walled surfaces near access point of enclosure must be smooth to discourage climbing behavior near door. Natural fauna such as insects, common reptiles, birds and fish (if facility can accommodate a river simulation) can be added to the enclosure to simulate natural environments. Mammals (of any size) should not be added unless researchers are trying to observe hunting behavior. After adjusting to new environment, subjects are generally docile as long as they are fed an adequate portion of meat (relative to their size) every week.

In inhabited areas, local animal control specialists are to be contacted and hired on a need to know basis, if available, with agent giving them special instructions: animal is unknown, a rabid racoon or something. Capture of SCP-6040 can be completed with standard animal control equipment, with use of protective gear and tranquilizers guns. Once capture of specimen is complete, agents are to proceed administration of class A anesthetics on animal control specialists and any civilians that has had a clear view of specimens.

Smaller captured specimens (less then 1.4 meters when extended) are to be sent in robust soundproofed cage (list of approved models can be requested at zib.ssenisub|gnikcartwc#zib.ssenisub|gnikcartwc) via mail (maximum package size of 3 meters), or delivered by hand to a nearby facility if possible. Research has demonstrated the ability of specimen surviving for 40 days without food, but shipping should be expedited if possible.

Advance Capture Tactics with Mobile Task Force Assistance
If complications arrive in the capture of a specimen of SCP-6040, or an incident involving a specimen of SCP-6040 meets one of the following criteria, the relevant mobile task force must be contacted:

Contact MTF Epsilon-6:

  • If a specimen exceeds safe capture size (extended size of +1.4 meters) in an inhabited area.
  • If a specimen repeatedly avoids capture, and/or is gaining attention in the media.

Contact MTF Lambda-12 :

  • If a specimen exceeds safe capture size (extended size of +1.4 meters) in a mostly uninhabited area. MTF will conduct potential risk evaluation and determine if capture is necessary.
  • If a specimen is deemed responsible of animal attacks on humans or deemed a man-eater.

Specimens of 6040 will be dealt by relevant task force. Use of heavy duty tranquilizers and advanced netting recommended to facilitate capture. Specimens of SCP-6040 deemed to be responsible of animal attacks or deemed a man-eater will be dealt with extreme prejudice, with use of lethal force a possibility in the interest of preserving human life. Specimens captured by either task force are to be relocated to facility XRC-Site-91. Live specimens are to be contained on second-floor in additional SCP containment, with research in predatory behavior. Deceased specimens are to be stored in a sealed container before transport, with a solution 23% formaldehyde, 5% glutaraldehyde, 2% methanol, diluted in saline to avoid rapid decomposition of specimens. Specimens are to be moved to xenobiological research laboratory for dissection and genetic analysis.

Description:
SCP-6040, scientific name Nautilus venari vocem, is a species of predators of mammalian life forms, with a complex xenobiology that has been approximated to be closest in nature to cephalopods of terrestrial origin. The species is a nocturnal predator of small mammals. The species uses six extendable limbs to position itself out of view, often lying still before choking its prey to death with its center limbs. The species assimilate larynges of prey into their bodies, roughly parroting sounds of prey as part of their calling and hunting behavior.

The species is characterized by bilateral body symmetry, a prominent head and six extendable jointed limbs resembling flat ended tentacles. Size of species is variable, but contracted size of species when limbs are retracted is generally (2/5) of full extended size. Species typically ranges from 0.6 meters to 1.2 meters. Eye organs occupy approximately 30% of the side of their heads, with a large chitinous beak at the bottom. Captured specimens of SCP-6040 have variations in body color, but the range extends from shades of brown to purple, with darker hue variants extending to black. Several spines are hidden under the skin and are only visible if the species exhibits defensive behaviors. Further analysis of the species biological and physiological traits can be read in adjacent notes:

Short Notes on the Biology of the Nautilus Venari Vocem, by Dr. Edgar Fredericton


Interview with Agent Bloom on Civilian Encounter of SCP-6040-5

Catalogued Specimens at Wilson's Wildlife Solutions
Subject Skin Pigment Size (Retracted/Extended) General Behavior Nickname Assimilated Larynx Species
SCP-6040-1 Dark Purple 0.71/1.83 meters Social Doc Equus caballus
SCP-6040-2 Black 0.38/1.01 meter Loner Bashful Felis catus
SCP-6040-3 Brown 0.55/1.52 meters Social Happy Canis lupus familiaris
SCP-6040-4 Purple 0.34/0.90 meters Aggressive Grumpy Sciurus vulgaris
SCP-6040-5 Grey 0.46/1.21 meters Social Dopey F. catus
SCP-6040-6 Brown 0.53/1.50 meters Loner Sleepy C. familiaris
SCP-6040-7 Light Purple 0.49/1.32 meters Social Sneezy Procyon lotor
Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License