SCP-6030
kings-canyon-scale.png

Kings Canyon National Park, the location of SCP-6030

Item #: SCP-6030

Object Class: Keter

Special Containment Procedures: Areas of Kings Canyon National Park that have been identified as high-risk zones for SCP-6030 are to be cordoned off from public access. All persons found crossing into high-risk zones are to be detained and questioned for potential SCP-6030-1 status. Containment Team Zeta-453 has been tasked with permanent monitoring duty for identifying potential SCP-6030-1 instances and quarantining them for further treatment.

In the event of a completed Daltu merger, all efforts should be made to scrub evidence of missing persons from public record. Body reconstruction efforts for former SCP-6030-1 instances are to be commenced where possible.

Foundation personnel suspected of SCP-6030-1 presence are to be immediately quarantined for further investigation, followed by the standard battery of medications pre-cleared for SCP-6030 use.

Description: SCP-6030 is a recurring temporospatial phenomenon found in regions of Kings Canyon National Park, located in California, USA. When certain individuals (designated as SCP-6030-1 instances) enter SCP-6030 zones, they disappear from local reality after an indeterminate amount of time and become unrecoverable.1

SCP-6030 zones do not persist following a Daltu merger, and do not appear in consistent locations, though some areas have been noted to be particularly susceptible to SCP-6030 instantiation. Additionally, for non-SCP-6030-1 instances, SCP-6030 is visually and physically indistinguishable from non-anomalous regions of Kings Canyon National Park, making them difficult to identify. This combination of events leads to most SCP-6030 zones being designated as such ex post facto.

SCP-6030 appears differently to each SCP-6030-1 instance. To date, there has been no identifiable pattern in SCP-6030 visual appearances, nor are there causal links between said appearances and SCP-6030-1 instances. The reason behind this variability is currently unknown.

SCP-6030-1 instances are distinguished by two defining features. Firstly, such individuals are the only ones capable of both perceiving SCP-6030 and succumbing to its disappearance effect following a Daltu merger. Secondly, all affected individuals display a powerful urge to travel to Kings Canyon National Park in order to complete a Daltu merger. Administration of amnestics, anti-compulsive medication therapy, and other anti-memetics have proven effective in temporarily reducing this urge, but individuals who cease treatment often experience relapses.

Fundamentally, the mechanism of generation for SCP-6030-1 is currently unknown; as of yet, no evidence has been conclusively linked to potential risk factors for SCP-6030-1 presence. Moreover, as there are no other distinguishing factors for SCP-6030-1 presence, correctly identifying anomalous presence has been a persistent challenge. Ongoing research efforts into prophylactic measures and other early-screening methods have yielded inconclusive results.

Sample List of SCP-6030 Appearances: The following is an abbreviated list of SCP-6030 visualizations, as reported by individuals whom the Foundation was able to apprehend prior to Daltu merger. The full list is available upon request.

Subject Subject Information SCP-6030 Location and Appearance
Subject 36 38 years old, Arab descent, male. Subject had no prior outdoors experience, and had traveled from New York City to Kings Canyon after an abrupt disappearance from his job as a software engineer. Unmarried, no children. Anomaly manifested roughly 500 feet off the trail leading through Zumwalt Meadow. Subject described the entirety of the meadow as having been replaced by a collection of featureless skyscrapers with numerous doors. The subject reported hearing a “comforting voice” that he attempted to follow, though he was unable to find the source prior to Foundation interception.
Subject 85 84 years old, African-American, male. Subject had traveled extensively in his youth as a military veteran, but was largely confined to a wheelchair following a stroke. Convinced members of his extended family to take him to Kings Canyon as part of a family vacation. Anomaly manifested outside of the Giant Tree Museum at the base of the Sentinel Tree, a large, partially burned out sequoia tree with an open view of its interior. Subject reported that the sky darkened to a twilight shade, despite the event occurring during the morning. The interior of the tree was covered with a thick layer of red poppy flowers, which gave off an "inviting" scent. Subject was restrained by his family, and questioned by Foundation staff embedded at park medical services.
Subject 152 42 years old, Caucasian, female. Subject had extensive outdoors experience, and was an experienced mountaineer and thru-hiker who was midway through hiking the length of the Pacific Crest Trail.2 Divorced, no children. Anomaly manifested along Mather Pass, in the backcountry section of the park to the east. Subject wandered off the trail for nearly 23 miles through extremely difficult terrain before being flagged as missing by a fellow hiking companion. Wilderness rescue personnel found the subject after she had collapsed from a combination of dehydration and heat exhaustion. The subject reported that her surroundings consisted of thick, grassy vegetation that obscured her vision, despite the rocky and nearly bare consistency of Mather Pass. Furthermore, the subject stated that she felt as though she was being followed by an unknown entity, leading her to flee towards the direction of shelter, though she could not identify how she knew where the aforementioned shelter was. No further explanation was given.

History: The first documented case of SCP-6030 was recorded in 1929 by Theodore Lewis, an undercover American Secure Containment Initiative3 agent embedded within the United States National Park Service. Lewis served as the lead investigator for a series of missing persons cases that terminated at Kings Canyon National Park, and journaled extensively about his progress. Review of these efforts led to their retroactive designation as the first known instance of SCP-6030, though it is believed that the anomaly itself predates Lewis’s research.

Drawing upon his experience in the American military, Lewis wrote entries in his journal in a series of increasingly complex ciphers. While initial entries were written with simple substitution and transposition ciphers, later entries introduced Vigenère and Polybius Square ciphers along with other more difficult to decode tactics. The last entries of his journal utilized highly complicated anomalo-ciphers using asymmetric ontological keys, spectral ciphers, and other novel techniques that are still classified pending further review. It is unknown how Lewis obtained knowledge of these methods.

Foundation cryptanalysis efforts were unable to decode Lewis’s final entries until a breakthrough in 2020 was made by a cryptographic team led by Researcher Faisal Setiawan. Setiawan compiled extensive documentation of his team’s progress concerning SCP-6030, annotated with his own personal notes. The results of this investigation are included below, in chronological order.

Lewis-cropped.jpg

Theodore Lewis

DOB: 05/08/1895

Occupation: Intelligence Officer, United States Military Intelligence Division, followed by National Park Service Ranger and embedded ASCI agent

Biography: Theodore Lewis was born on May 8th, 1895, in Cheyenne, Wyoming. Records of his early life are scant, though Lewis himself notes in his journal that his childhood was unremarkable. By his own admission, Lewis’s enlistment in the United States Army shortly before its entry into World War I was the most impactful event of his life up to that point.

Lewis displayed an aptitude for military intelligence and investigative research, leading to his recruitment by the Military Intelligence Division (MID). Lewis was dispatched on military reconnaissance missions during the Third Battle of Aisne, and later during the Meuse-Argonne Offensive, which, in his own words, "proved to be formative experiences." This would later result in his recommendation to the ASCI as a post-war operative specializing in investigative work and reconnaissance.

While he served in a number of different postings, his last and most important one was as a National Park Ranger at Kings Canyon National Park, where he discovered SCP-6030 while tracking a missing persons case in 1929. Lewis would work on researching SCP-6030 up until his own disappearance in the summer of 1930. His documentation of SCP-6030 remained unknown until 1976, when his journal and other work was discovered in legacy archives that had been improperly categorized during the Foundation merger with the ASCI. While Lewis's first entries were rapidly decoded, his remaining work became something of an open challenge for aspiring Foundation cryptanalysts until the last sequence of entries was fully decrypted by the aforementioned team led by Faisal Setiawan.

lewis-2.jpg

Lewis with ASCI supervisor, Thomas Middleton.

Lewis’s Journal, Entry 1: The following is a decrypted version of Lewis’s first journal entry, dated to May 3rd, 1929, when he first arrived in King’s Canyon.

I arrived in General Grant National Park today.4 I am of the opinion that there is no sight more majestic, more magnificent than what God has seen fit to give us here. Unlike Yosemite to the north, the park is as of yet untouched by the ravages of picnickers and weekend tourists from the rest of California, giving it a kind of purity that I admire. I spent most of the day walking around the base of what has come to be known as “Paradise Valley.” The valley is nothing short of breathtaking, and a more apt name could not be found. At times I found myself simply stopping to gaze at the view, which I have included a photograph of.

paradise.jpg

Paradise Valley, 1929

Josephine quite likes the weather here as well. She and the baby are settling in as I write this entry. I'm not sure that baby William enjoys the environment as much, however; he gave his mother quite a headache as he would not stop wailing the entire day. Josephine has done an admirable job calming him down, however, and for now, peace is restored to the valley.

With regards to the case, I have liaised with the local authorities concerning the disappearances, and have attempted to make headway on the last known sightings of the various missing persons. Tomorrow, I plan on personally visiting the relevant areas to see if I can sniff out any other relevant details.

Faisal’s Notes: 03/12/2018

First entry of interest in Lewis’s journal that directly mentions SCP-6030, but it’s also the first one where he changes up his entry format. Up to this point, Lewis has mostly written his entries in a fairly basic substitution cipher. Not unexpected, considering the low sophistication of most ciphers of that period. What’s interesting here though, is that Lewis introduced a more complicated substitution into this entry. Why exactly did he do that? Not sure we’ll ever get a clear answer, but it’s definitely odd considering he didn’t comment on it anywhere else.

Lewis was a pretty avid photographer evidently, which is doubly impressive considering the equipment they had to lug around in those days. Not sure if the photos themselves mean much, but it’s impressive that they’ve even managed to survive this long. Makes you wonder how much the place has changed since then.

…I should probably be focusing on the decryption efforts rather than digging through old history. It’d be nice to mull over these entries a bit more, but the rest of the team is already focused on cracking the later ones. I don’t blame them, considering that these entries are pretty basic, but I do think it’s good to get a sense for where Lewis must have been coming from.

Lewis’s Journal, Entry 2: Lewis’s next relevant journal entry, dated to May 4th, 1929, the day after the first entry.

The climb to Silver Spray Falls takes one to the highest peaks of the Tehipite Valley. Although strenuous and long, I find that the hidden gems to be discovered in these corners of the mountains to be some of the most rewarding.

falls.jpg

Silver Spray Falls, 1929

On a more somber note, these falls were the last known sighting of two of our missing persons. One, an older gentleman from Marin, who had retired from his profession as a carpenter some years ago, and the second, a young man from over the border in Nevada who was working as a miner. By all appearances, the two men shared almost nothing in common, not their age, profession, even race or religion. And yet, both men were spotted here last by two different groups of hikers, three weeks apart. My instinct tells me that such a thing is not a coincidence.

Could it be that both men slipped and fell over these selfsame cliffs that I was just admiring, plunging to their deaths? Did they perhaps share a hidden calling that others were not privy to? Or was it, indeed, a mere coincidence? After investigating the area, I can find no sign of tracks, disturbed passage, or natural disaster that could have caused two men to disappear into the woods. Not even a body to speak of, or any evidence of where one might have been.

There are, as of yet, still a few more sites to investigate, and a stack of reports to pore over. I hope that I can make some more headway into them before I retire for the evening with Josephine. Still much more to be done.

Lewis’s Journal, Entry 3: Lewis’s next relevant journal entry, dated to July 10th, 1929.

Below Silver Spray Falls lies the expanse of the Tehipite Valley. Although not technically part of General Grant Park, it is a sister to the Paradise Valley, and is none the lesser in terms of stature, beauty, and quiet reverence. Tracing the path of the water down to this valley below takes one through a journey of quiet birds, grazing mountain goats, and idyllic peace.

middle-forks.jpg

Tehipite Valley, 1929

It is a shame that such a peaceful place would be home to such tragedy as this. Days of searching, poring through every inch of the terrain with an army of volunteers, and yet, nothing. If these men and women had simply died due to some tragic mishap, we would still find some evidence of their passing. A body, gnawed on bones, shreds of clothing, even a bit of trash from their passage. And yet, not a speck to be found. It is as if they simply…vanished.

In my studies of the paranormal, I have found many strange occurrences that led to disappearances, but none that seem so…random. Many people travel through these areas, but it seems as though individuals are picked off as if by a whim, suddenly disappearing into the aether with no trace left behind. How is one to conduct an investigation with no clues?

I digress. There are still profiles on the victims to consider….though with our count now up to almost a dozen individuals suspected of disappearing, the task grows more daunting.

Nonetheless, we must persevere.

Faisal’s Notes: 05/15/2018

I like to think that the photos he left in these entries gives a sense for what he must have been seeing when he was in Kings Canyon, poring through the same mystery that we’re still hunting through all these years later. It’s kind of reassuring in a way-two generations of Foundation researchers, united in the same task…or perhaps a bit depressing that we still haven’t figured out the secret even after all this time. O5 Command certainly thinks so, because they've started to ask us for updates concerning the project. I've never had to directly deal with any administrators before, so to say that the stress level has been ramped up would be a huge understatement…

Still, the angles of attack that we’re taking on these new entries are promising. Still waiting for the algorithms to crunch through the data set, but the team is excited about what we might find. While they’re waiting on the results, I’ve been re-reading these entries. Trying to get a sense for what Lewis might have figured out that we haven’t yet. You never know what we might dig up while reading through old history.

While reading through some other logs, I read that the official count for SCP-6030 Daltu mergers is recorded at 435, but they estimate that it’s a gross undercount based on how difficult it is to actually track this thing. In the grand scheme of things, as horrible as it sounds, that’s…not that bad? Considering how long we’ve known about it, that is.

It’s weird. 6030 isn’t the most devastating anomaly we have in the catalogue by a long shot, it isn’t the most widespread, and it isn’t the most deadly either. But something about these people disappearing in Kings Canyon for the better part of a century (if not longer) for no reason just…frustrates me. I understand how Lewis must have felt. The complete lack of clues is almost infuriating in a way. Like it’s taunting us for how little we actually understand about it.

Maybe I should take a nap…

Lewis’s Journal, Entry 5: Lewis’s next relevant journal entry, dated to October 24th, 1929.

In the far eastern reaches of the park lies a sweeping mountain range, the southernmost echoes of the mighty Sierra Nevada mountains, which themselves are children of the towering Rocky Mountains. The Hermit rises above its brethren to dominate the skyline here, ascetic-like in its isolation as it meditates alone.

hermit.jpg

The Hermit, 1929

Quiet meditation has been on my mind as of late. We are now up to at least two dozen disappearances, if not more. Our current expedition to the Hermit was in search of more clues that may have been disturbed in the more populated segments of the park. And yet, despite all of our searching, nothing physical manifests. There are still no signs of anything out of the ordinary. If there is something to see with this anomaly, then we are simply blind to it.

In the evenings, when I have time away from Josephine and the baby, I scan the profiles compiled about our missing persons. This, so far, has been our only breakthrough. While at first, I believed there to be little in common between our disappearances, I have begun to identify a few common threads that may be of value.5

  1. Missing individuals tend to be older, though the youngest we have identified was merely 20.
  2. Most of them are unmarried, widowed, or otherwise divorced.
  3. Prior familiarity with the park is not a factor. Most have never traveled here before.

The evidence is, as of yet, meagre. I continue to work to find the strands that connect these cases, but I must admit that it’s beginning to take a toll on me. I feel myself growing somewhat haggard from the strain, and my sleep has been poor. I know that Josephine worries after me, though I say nothing. Nonetheless, we must persevere.

It frustrates me. I began my search here in pursuit of recovering those who had been lost, and yet it seems that we are no closer to that end than when I started. As a man who prides himself on truth finding it is…more than a little demoralizing. I had hoped that our excursion would help at least to assuage some of my own thoughts concerning the investigation, but it has only inflamed an even greater desire within me to figure out the mystery of the park.

I am so very tired. And yet, we must persevere.

Faisal’s Notes: 09/14/2018

This is the last entry that was decoded before our team began its work. The final stopping point of knowledge that we inherited from Lewis for more or less the last quarter century, even though there are still so many more pages to go.

Our last few attacks on the entries didn’t work. We thought we had something promising through a list of different symmetric attacks, but it ended up empty. I’m still in awe at the complexity of the ciphers that Lewis employed after this log-most of this stuff is pretty advanced for today’s standards, and Lewis didn’t have the advantage of a computer to write them for him. The last few entries are…daunting to say the least. The ones we’re working on now at least have some recognizable patterns to them, but the last few start dipping into anomalous territory that will require some really crazy stuff. It doesn’t help that the other teams attached to the project are really breathing down our necks. We’ve got O5 Command asking for updates every week now, but we don’t really have much to show them.

I can’t help but echo Lewis here again. It’s immensely annoying, not being able to figure out much. What makes people pack up their things, quit their jobs, and disappear into the woods? Lewis seems to have thought it was something to do with their current status…but I’m not too sure of that considering the things we’ve been digging up as of late. Not so easy to find those patterns anymore, kind of like the patterns that Lewis himself left for us.

Frankly, the team is exhausted at this point. It feels like a never-ending cycle for the entire SCP-6030 team. We grind on this work all day long, sitting in front of our computers, waging a battle that isn’t giving us much. It’s a lot to handle. It just feels unrewarding at times. I’m getting a sense for how Lewis must have felt, working on this more or less alone.

There’s gotta be more to it. You don’t just write a dozen more entries after this and hide it behind twenty layers of ciphertext unless you have something worth hiding.

I’m tired too, Lewis. But I have to keep moving. I won’t be able to sleep unless I figure it out.


LEVEL 4/6030 CLEARANCE REQUIRED AHEAD

The file you are attempting to access is restricted to personnel with Level 4/6030 clearance only. Please do not attempt to open the following documentation without approved clearance.


Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License