SCP-5816

rating: +25+x
Item#: 5816
Level2
Containment Class:
safe
Secondary Class:
none
Disruption Class:
dark
Risk Class:
caution

SCP.jpg

SCP-5816-20 with anomalous features redacted.

Special Containment Procedures: All copies of SCP-5816 are to be kept in a standard secured container at Site-19. Even when within said container, all instances of SCP-5816 are to have their eyes covered completely. SCP-5816 instances are not to be removed nor are any edits to be made to the text present on said instances without approval from level 4 research personnel.

Description: SCP-5816 is the collective term for a series of 25 identical anomalous World War One-era recruitment posters, henceforth referred to as SCP-5816-1 through 25. As of 2021, no further instances have been found. Each poster closely resembles the non-anomalous posters depicting Lord Horatio Herbert Kitchener1 that were famously used during the First World War. SCP-5816-1 through 25 were discovered in an abandoned print factory, kept in a single wooden crate. The only information that can be acquired about the origin of SCP-5816 comes in the form of a telegram located at the discovery site.2

Of all subjects tested, 4% were completely immune to SCP-5816; the reason for this is unknown and no link between those immune has been found. The remaining subjects triggered one of two anomalous effects.

The primary anomalous effect of SCP-5816 instances occurs whenever an individual3 who is of British nationality or from any former territories of the British Empire and is aged between 19-30 years of age, looks into the eyes of the image of Lord Kitchener. Whenever this occurs the subject will feel an overwhelming sense of nationalism and pride towards the United Kingdom. Furthermore, the subject will feel an immense desire to join the British military.

A secondary anomalous effect occurs when individuals who are not eligible to join the British military look into the eyes present on SCP-5816 instances.4 95% of experiments involving subjects who meet these criteria found those tested began to suffer feelings of immense sorrow and regret. The remaining 5% of those affected will attempt immediate suicide.5 This effect remains until the subject is able to self terminate.

To date, the only known way to prevent the anomalous properties of SCP-5816 instances is to cover the eyes on each instance.

SCP-5816 instances are highly resistant to most forms of conventional damage, this is believed to be the cause behind the preservation of SCP-5816 instances in the decades prior to containment. Fire has been shown to be capable of complete destruction of SCP-5816 instances.

Photographs of and photocopies of SCP-5816 instances possess the same properties as the originals, though artist impressions lack the same anomalous properties.

Addendum SCP-5816-A: Below is a digitized copy of the telegram recovered from the discovery site. It should be noted that it was heavily damaged when discovered, the text that is displayed is all that was readable.


Commission for more recruitment posters received STOP

Next shipment to be ready by Somme offensive STOP

Distribute them face down until [ILLEGIBLE]

Make no edits STOP

An investigation into the telegram's origin is currently ongoing.

Addendum SCP-5816-B: On 20th June 1978, Doctor Urien Beavin, who was head of research on SCP-5816, was given the authorisation to test the effects of editing the text on an instance of SCP-5816. As part of this test, Doctor Beavin had the word 'Britons' on SCP-5816-7 erased and replaced with 'Americans' before showing it to several American D-Class personnel. The effect was found to be identical, save for the fact this instance now worked on those of American nationality instead of British.

Following several more tests with different nationalities, Doctor Beavin replaced the nationality on SCP-5816-7 with the word 'D-Class', while also changing the main text below Lord Kitchener to read 'to cooperate with Foundation personnel.' 96% of all D-Class tested, who did not trigger the secondary anomalous effect, were highly cooperative with Foundation staff.




Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License