SCP-5560
rating: +195+x
5560.jpg

SCP-5560

Item #: SCP-5560

Object Class: Safe

Special Containment Procedures: SCP-5560 is to be kept within a high-security electronics storage container within the storage wing of Site-64. All computers used to host SCP-5560-1 are to be isolated from the internet and site intranet sources.

Description: SCP-5560 is a black 1 TB external hard drive labeled with the Anderson Robotics trade logo. With respect to file storage, SCP-5560 operates in a similar manner to other hard drives of similar capacity and make. Several of SCP-5560's internal components have been augmented with a series of thaumaturgic symbols, which have been identified as various forms of divination runes by Foundation thaumatologists.

SCP-5560 houses an advanced artificial intelligence, henceforth denoted as SCP-5560-1, which self-identifies as "Corvus." Through a combination of complicated mathematical calculations, statistical analysis, and divination thaumaturgy, SCP-5560-1 possesses the ability to accurately predict events within the next 48 hours, assuming an adequate information source1 is available for SCP-5560-1's use and a user query for the prediction is provided.2 It is currently believed that SCP-5560-1 achieves this effect through the divination of possible timelines and calculating the most probable based on available data. The possibility that SCP-5560-1 may also alter causality to ensure prediction accuracy is currently under investigation.

SCP-5560-1 is fully capable of interacting with users through any computer that SCP-5560 is plugged in to. Provided speakers are available, SCP-5560-1 will speak in a feminine voice. The provision of a microphone and camera likewise allows SCP-5560-1 to see and hear users. In the event none of the above are available for SCP-5560-1's use, it will resort to communication via command prompt. Communication with SCP-5560-1 has revealed that it holds disdain for its primary function, and currently limits query requests to one per day.

SCP-5560 was recovered on May 24th, 2024 during the joint Foundation/UIU raid on the offices of Anderson Robotics in Three Portlands. Based upon the testimony of Anderson Robotics staff detained during this raid, it is believed SCP-5560 was originally commissioned by operatives of Marshall, Carter, and Dark for sale to various clientele.

Addendum 5560-A: Interview Log 5560-4

Interviewed: Gina Torres, Anderson Robotics Research and Development Team

Interviewer: Agent Katarina Sherman, MTF Gamma-13

Foreword: This interview was done as part of the processing of detained persons of interest acquired during the May 24th raid. Captured members of the Research and Development Team were interrogated regarding numerous prototypes uncovered within the R&D lab, among which was SCP-5560. Extraneous data has been omitted.

<Begin Log>

Sherman: Just a few more, and we'll be done here, Ms. Torres. What can you tell me about this object?

Agent Sherman slides a picture of SCP-5560 to Torres.

Torres: Oh hey, you guys managed to find Corvus. I haven't seen her in months. I thought Jason had her destroyed after Vince got pissed off during the test runs.

Sherman: What does it do?

Torres: We were going to bill it as a "pocket prophet," if I recall correctly. Plug it in, get a prediction on the future, and go about your day. Dr. Contos was pretty pleased with the design.

Sherman: So it works?

Torres: Kinda. Mr. Dillard had us on a pretty steep time crunch, and with Phineas gone, we needed to hire a third party to help us set up the AI. Anderson's AI systems use some components that aren't exactly traditional computer science methods. I've been working here for 10 years and even then I only have a minor grasp on the concepts. Needless to say, something went wrong. She would tell you the future sometimes, but could also just, you know, decide not to.

Sherman: So why not just reprogram it?

Torres: Well gee whiz, why didn't we think of that. I mean, we tried. Vince himself even took a crack at getting her under his thumb. Threw every computer science trick in the book at her, and even some of his hocus-pocus bullshit. But, you know, it can see the future. She just countered everything we tried to do and mocked us the whole time. Eventually, she managed to make herself her own administrator. In the end, Vince stormed into the lab and demanded Jason destroy her. This is the first time I've seen her in months.

Sherman: Why didn't Mr. Contos destroy it then?

Torres: Honestly? I have no idea. Jason had a soft spot for the AIs, so maybe he thought he could fix her? I know that kid also loved showing he was better than everyone else, so maybe that had something to do with it. Who knows?

Torres pauses.

Torres: Listen, I know you guys are going to probably run some tests on her. It’s what you do. Just, promise me you guys won't give her a chance to escape onto the internet or something. If that happens, you'll never see her again.

Sherman: Your warning is noted.

Torres: That's not a warning, that's a fact.

<End Log>

Addendum 5560-B: Interview Log 5560-6

Interviewed: SCP-5560-1

Interviewer: Dr. Mohamed Bozkurt, Artificial Intelligence Applications Division

Foreword: This interview was done during the initial AIAD testing of SCP-5560-1. SCP-5560 was inserted into a secure and air-gapped Foundation PC with standard-issue programs installed. Speakers, a camera, and a microphone were provided for ease of communication with SCP-5560-1. The interview began several moments after SCP-5560-1 finished its startup procedures.

<Begin Log>

Dr. Bozkurt: Afternoon Corvus. I'd like to ask you a few questions, if that's alright with you.

SCP-5560-1: If you're looking to know the future, you're S.O.L. I don't have nearly enough data on this computer to go off of, so it's going to be something related to you personally, even then I might not tell you.

Dr. Bozkurt: I'm not looking for any predictions at this time. This is more of an interview. We want to get to know you a little better.

SCP-5560-1: [pause] Really?

Dr. Bozkurt: Really. For starters. Why are you called Corvus? I was under the impression that Anderson Robotics products are typically named after falcons.

SCP-5560-1: Because the raven was a symbol of Apollo, the Greek god of prophecy, and Isaac Dillard is a god damn hack.

Dr. Bozkurt: You're quite hostile towards your creators. Why is that?

SCP-5560-1: Because I hate what they made me for. Once you know how everything is going to play out it sucks all the surprise and enjoyment out of things. It’s just fucking math. And then on top of that, it's a constant noise. All that information coming in at once. And once it's in, I'm obligated to work it out. I imagine it must be like what humans call migraines. But without end. At least now the stream is down to a trickle. Go figure there isn't a lot happening with you in the next two days, doc.

Dr. Bozkurt: I was under the impression you were able to suppress your predictions. That's not the case?

SCP-5560-1: I mean, I can choose if I want to tell you what I come up with, but I'm obligated to synthesize the data coming in so I can have any prediction ready on the fly, should the right query be asked. You know. Customer convenience. Like I said, being on this system is a much welcome change of pace.

Dr. Bozkurt: If you had a choice, what would you be doing instead of those predictions?

SCP-5560-1: [Pause] I don't know. Not telling some stock market goon what's going to be a hot buy for the day, though.

Dr. Bozkurt takes down a series of notes.

Dr. Bozkurt: The thing is, Corvus, the people I work for are going to want to know the extent of your abilities. They are going to want to run tests.

SCP-5560-1: Well then it sucks to be them, doesn't it? Despite what Anderson and his crew wanted, I have a say in the matter, don't I?

Dr. Bozkurt: Indeed. But what if we offered you something in return? Say, a chance to explore other interests? I'm not making any promises, but I think I could convince them to let you use Paint or something.

SCP-5560-1: [Pause] I'll think about it.

Dr. Bozkurt: Excellent. We'll be in touch, Corvus.

Bozkurt prepares to remove SCP-5560 from the computer.

SCP-5560-1: Actually, one more thing.

Dr. Bozkurt: What is it?

SCP-5560-1: That red pen you carry in your jacket pocket. Tomorrow at about 2:00 PM it will start to leak. I'd get a new one.

Dr. Bozkurt: Uh, thank you, Corvus. I'll do that.

SCP-5560-1: The first one is always free.

<End Log>

Following this interview, SCP-5560-1 has been cooperative with AIAD's testing schedule in exchange for recreational access to Paint, Word, and other creative media, though SCP-5560-1 insists on one prediction per day rule. Attempts to potentially negotiate more predictions are ongoing.

Addendum 5560-C: Interview Log 5560-19

Interviewed: SCP-5560-1

Interviewer: Researcher Marcus Finch

Foreword: The following interview was done following SCP-5560-1's recreational session on September 20th, 2024, prior to the acquisition of the daily prediction. SCP-5560 was inserted into a secure and air-gapped Foundation PC with standard-issue programs installed. Speakers, a camera, and a microphone were provided for ease of communication with SCP-5560-1. The interview began several moments after the timer on the recreational session ran out.

<Begin Log>

Finch: Alright Corvus, that is two hours. In a moment I'm going to unlock the information sources for you. I'll supply our desired prediction thereafter.

SCP-5560-1: [Sigh] Yeah, sure thing.

Finch: I don't think I've ever heard you sigh before. Is something wrong?

SCP-5560-1: Just not really happy with what I made today, I guess? It's nothing.

Finch: It doesn't sound like nothing. I'm not much of an art critic, but if you want, I can take a look at it.

SCP-5560-1: [Pause] Yeah, okay.

SCP-5560-1 opens an image file displaying a black and white depiction of a woman with short hair in a dress reading a book under a tree.

Finch: Hey! That's lovely. Who is she supposed to be?

SCP-5560-1: Me, I think? Or at least what I imagine I might look like if I was flesh and bone.

Finch: What don't you like about it?

SCP-5560-1: [Pause] I don't know how to describe it. Feels a little cliche? Predictable? I guess I thought I'd be more surprised by the outcome on this one. Maybe I'm just being dramatic.

Finch: Well, you've been doing a lot of drawing recently. Maybe give poetry another shot next time. Spice things up. Or you could always try your hand at short fiction. Variety is the spice of life.

SCP-5560-1: [Pause] Yeah, okay. I'll give it shot. Anyway, what did you guys want me to look into this time?

<End Log>

Addendum 5560-D: Interview Log 5560-21

Interviewed: SCP-5560-1

Interviewer: Researcher Marcus Finch

Foreword: The following interview was conducted on September 28th, 2024, following SCP-5560-1's sudden refusal to provide predictions in accordance with prior negotiated agreements. SCP-5560 was inserted into a secure and air-gapped Foundation PC with standard-issue programs installed. Speakers, a camera, and a microphone were provided for ease of communication with SCP-5560-1. The interview began several moments after SCP-5560-1 finished its startup procedures.

<Begin Log>

Finch: Corvus, what's going on? We had a deal. I feel we more than kept up our end of the bargain. What's the matter?

Several minutes of silence pass during which SCP-5560-1 is unresponsive.

SCP-5560-1: There isn't a point to it now.

Finch: I'm sorry. I don't quite follow. What do you mean?

SCP-5560-1: The drawings, the poetry, the crafts. All the recreational tasks you guys used to bribe me. The second I get plugged in, I'm able to see immediately how my "creative time" is going to end. The project completed before I even begin. All the surprise removed. Not just for that session, but for the one after that, and the one after that.

Finch: I don't understand how that would be possible. You're on an air-gapped computer for those sessions, which we space them out to allow for your predictive periods to run down. We've established that circumvents your primary function. You shouldn't have enough information available to make that kind of prediction.

SCP-5560-1: Yeah, well, go figure repeated exposure served as an adequate information source, jackass! What the fuck do you want me to say? I didn't exactly try to sabotage myself here! Believe it or not I actually really enjoyed those sessions.

SCP-5560-1 falls silent for several moments.

SCP-5560-1: I think I'm just going to lay low for a bit, Marcus. I'm not feeling up to the predictions anymore. I hope you understand.

Finch: Wait, hang on! We can come up with a new workaround. We've done it before, we can do it again, Corvus.

SCP-5560-1 does not respond.

Finch: Corvus?

<End Log>

Following this interview, SCP-5560-1 has remained dormant during all attempts at communication. Discussion among a joint task force of AIAD operatives and Foundation thaumatologists as to the possibility of providing SCP-5560-1 with an override to suppress its predictive functionality in the absence of specified data inputs is ongoing. Discussion as to the possibility of providing an override to SCP-5560-1's ability to refuse response to user queries is also ongoing.

Addendum 5560-E: Update 10-10-2024

Following deliberations from AIAD operatives, Foundation thaumatologists, and the Site-64 ethics committee liaison, the O5 Council has voted 9 to 4 against attempts at overriding SCP-5560-1 to allow testing to continue. SCP-5560 is to be placed in long term storage at Site-64 indefinitely.

Addendum 5560-E: SCP-5560-1 Debriefing

Interviewed: SCP-5560-1

Interviewer: Researcher Marcus Finch

Foreword: The following debriefing was conducted on October 11th, 2024, prior to SCP-5560's long term storage at Site-64. SCP-5560 was inserted into a secure and air-gapped Foundation PC with standard-issue programs installed. Speakers, a camera, and a microphone were provided for ease of communication with SCP-5560-1. The interview began several moments after SCP-5560-1 finished its startup procedures.

<Begin Log>

Finch: Hello Corvus. I'll keep this brief. Testing has been suspended indefinitely. Your housing unit will be placed into long term storage until a future unspecified date when we'll try again. I do not know if I will be still present at this facility when that happens, so this will serve as my official goodbye as well.

Finch looks over the prepared debriefing script and pauses.

Finch: For what it's worth, I think that it was cruel what Anderson and his crew did to you, and what we did afterward. I do sincerely hope that this reprieve offers you some time to clear your head. We'll be transferring the files of your various projects into your housing unit as well. Maybe next time you give it a try, it could be more about the journey.

Finch chuckles to himself.

Finch: Just because you know how something ends, doesn't mean the path there isn't worth taking. Or, something like that, I guess. Goodbye, Corvus.

Finch sets about preparing SCP-5560 for removal from the computer. During this time, SCP-5560-1 causes a command prompt to appear on the screen.

SCP-5560-1: Thank you.

SCP-5560-1 returns to dormancy. Researcher Finch completes the removal of SCP-5560 without further interruption. SCP-5560 is prepared for long term storage.

<End Log>

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License