SCP-5343


ITEM #:

SCP-5343

OBJECT CLASS:

EUCLID



Special Containment Procedures: A single copy of SCP-5343 is contained within a storage locker in Site-134. Foundation webcrawlers assigned to SCP-5343 are to monitor all mobile application distribution services for activity relating to this anomaly. If SCP-5343 is discovered, Foundation agents integrated within these services are to purge its ability to transfer files.

Human subjects who have been affected by SCP-5343 must have their mobile devices confiscated. A computed tomography (CT) brain scan must also be performed and physically stored on-site for future reference. Once the subject undergoes basic recovered-memory therapies and is cleared by on-site medical staff of all related issues, the use of Class C amnestics prior to re-integration into the general public is required.

In the event that a human subject perishes due to exposure to SCP-5343, recovered autopsies are to be stored and evaluated for significant changes.

Description: SCP-5343 is a mobile news application operating on all hand-held devices. Although media presented on SCP-5343 varies, information within these publications can directly or indirectly affect the subjects operating the application. Information presented on SCP-5343 includes:

  • Stories about the affected subject. The events covered may range from anywhere between the subject's birth and the subject's death.
  • Informative news snippets about the affected subject's relatives or close friends.
  • Reports concerning events that have directly affected, or will affect the subject.
  • Photographed or recorded footage of the subject.1

After a period from anywhere between 4 weeks and 2 years, subjects affected by SCP-5343 experience permanent anterograde and retrograde amnesia. This has been attributed to the scarring of cerebral tissues within the affected subjects' temporal lobes following prolonged exposure to SCP-5343.

SCP-5343 was discovered in an apartment building on 8/12/2019 in Chicago, Illinois. Foundation personnel were authorized to investigate after intercepted police reports indicated that an individual living in this building was unresponsive after using a mobile app that they recently downloaded.2 Following autopsical analysis, the cause of the individuals death was determined to be anomalous in nature and Foundation personnel were granted permission to further investigate.

After SCP-5343's initial containment, a series of experiments were performed in order to verify the extent and limitations of this anomaly. These experiments along with their results can be found below.

Subject(s) Procedure Results
D-159823 The subject was ordered to operate SCP-5343 extensively for 6 months. Refer to Addendum 5343-1.
D-210987 The subject operated the application for 2 days before SCP-5343 was returned to its containment. The subject reported minor memory loss. No evidence of cerebral wounding was detected. It's been concluded that SCP-5343's anomalous abilities take approximately one week to begin manifesting.
D-658972 SCP-5343 was transferred onto a computer terminal. The subject was ordered to operate the application. The subject was unable to access SCP-5343, even while operating a virtual machine. It has been concluded that SCP-5343 can only be accessed on mobile devices.
D-986714, D-185234 D-986714 was ordered to operate SCP-5343 for 3 days until transferring ownership to D-185234. D-185234 will use the application for an additional 3 days. D-986714 reported signs of memory loss while D-185234 was unaffected by SCP-5343. D-185234 admitted that they did not sign out of the application, and instead continued using D-986714's session. Subject D-185234 was terminated from the experiment.

Addendum 5343-1: D-159823 was ordered to maintain a written journal at all times throughout the previously listed experiment. The recovered journal entries concerning SCP-5343 have been added below.

The subject was later found deceased in their cell. A final autopsy recovered from D-159823 reported a cerebral wound pattern that was similar to other subjects. This pattern has been deemed non-hazardous and can be observed below.

WETHANKU

WEHOPEUENJOYED. WE<3URSUPPORT.

THX4URCONTRBUTION

TOUNSUBSCRBEPLZTXT:

███-███-████

- WESTHEADMEDIA


Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License