SCP-5273

rating: +62+x
Item#: 5273
Level2
Containment Class:
euclid
Secondary Class:
none
Disruption Class:
dark
Risk Class:
notice

Special Containment Procedures: Foundation web-crawlers are to search for and delete SCP-5273 instances, both image- and text-based, off of all major social media platforms. Foundation personnel have been embedded in the administration and moderation teams of said social media platforms to further monitor and restrict the spread of SCP-5273. Counter-Meme FCM-5273 instances are currently being developed on a case-by-case basis to diminish SCP-5273's effects and transmission.

Description: SCP-5273 are widespread instances of text and image based memetic hazards, coloquially known as "copypasta". Instances of SCP-5273 usually depict the author's intense and often hyperbolic distaste for a certain topic of discussion.

Viewing an instance of SCP-5273 has a chance1 of causing viewers to share a similar opinion as depicted in the instance. Affected individuals, referred to as SCP-5273-A, will then spread the SCP-5273 instance they were exposed to, usually by posting it as a response to social media posts relating to the topic critiqued in said instance.

SCP-5273 instances often present themselves as ironic and humorous in nature, and satirize the topic being discussed. The object of SCP-5273 instances often pertains to popular media at the time of creation; however, a small percentage have been found to relate to more diverse concepts, such as leaving online communities, faith, humor etc.

A small percentage of SCP-5273-A individuals2 will adapt the instance they were exposed to, changing its topic and effectively creating a new SCP-5273 instance. Upon questioning, SCP-5273-A individuals will claim the reason for posting to be "I thought it'd be funny", "I was just trolling", or other similar phrases.

Discovery: SCP-5273 was discovered after an instance had been attempted to be posted onto the SCiP-Net Social Forums. Memetic hazard detection systems alerted RAISA to the anomaly, where the spread was promptly halted. A non-anomalous version of the chat log is included below.

NON-ANOMALOUS CHAT LOGS, SCP-5273 DISCOVERY


OyyJoyy: so were the flamingoes hurt?
MCon44: i dunno, he said that they were totally fine
Ecro89: yknow its pretty sus that he was near the flamingoes in the first place
DrSilver: sus 😳
Ecro89: amoegus
MCon44: [MEMETIC HAZARD CENSORED]
Secretary_Helenbot: User MCon44 has been kicked from the chat. Reason specified: Attempted to post Memetic Hazard. RAISA has been contacted.
Ecro89: …wot
DrSilver: 👀
OyyJoyy: the hell was that
DrSilver: Why would Con post a memetic?


END LOG

After sufficient memetic scrubbing, the following text-based instance of SCP-5273 was recovered:

STOP posting about AMONG US you NEANDERTHAL TROGLODYTES HOLY [COGNITOHAZARD EXPUNGED] other day EIGHT (8) "friends" on instagram sent me THE SAME "When the Imposter is SUS" meme. MY MOTHER looked at the trash can and said "WOULDNT YOU SAY THATS A BiYT SUSSY" WOW SO ORIGINAL! EVEN WHEN THEY TOLD ME I WAS ADOPTED THEY DID IT WITH "THERE IS AN IMPOSTOR AMONG US" JESUS CHRIST! (Get it? JeSUS)

Addendum 5273.3 - FCM-5273 Development: Instance #10 was deemed a high-risk, high-priority threat due to the possibility of SCP-5273-A subjects enacting actions described in the instance. As such, Task Force Hexa-9 ("Meme Machine") was mobilized to develop a countermeasure as soon as possible. The result of TF Hexa-9's activity was a targeted counter-meme prototype that inhibited the viewers' susceptibility to cognitive manipulation by this specific SCP-5273 instance, rendering the instance ineffective (see Addendum 5273.4).

While this particular application has shown adequate success in mitigating the respective SCP-5273 instance's effects, the same method is not applicable to cases with text posts originally longer than 500 characters. This is hypothesised to be due to the readers considering long text fragments as visually unappealing, with no incentive to read them if no new information is being presented. As a result, members of TF Hexa-9 have been assigned to developing alternative countermeasures under "Project TL;DR".

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License