SCP-5217

rating: +20+x

Special Containment Procedures:


SCP-5217 is to be kept within a standard containment unit at Site-57 and is to be accessible only to personnel with level 2 clearance or above. All instances of SCP-5217-1 through -3 are to be contained within a hermetically sealed container and are only to be opened during testing or use in Project REPLENISH. Additionally, the testing of art, photography, and sculpture in any form upon SCP-5217 is restricted unless required for Project REPLENISH. Any personnel found in possession of any of the aforementioned materials when entering SCP-5217’s containment cell without proper clearance are to be detained, reprimanded, and demoted accordingly.


Description:


SCP-5217 is a copying machine, resembling a standard Dell Xerox Color Copier, with an abnormally large scanning tray, with a rectangular opening in place of the paper dispenser, and a symbol of a stylized M where the company logo would typically be. The machine’s anomaly manifests when a piece of organic matter, fossil, or an image of a perceived organism is scanned. Upon doing so the machine’s menu will ask if the operator would like to “add” “alter” or “continue”. If "continue" is selected, the machine will begin to lightly shake before dispensing a tray with three, translucent, embryonic sacks composed of a currently unknown, highly fragile, bio-degradable plastic hereby referred to as SCP-5217-1, -2, and -3.

When “add“ is selected, the menu will inform the operator to place another item on the scanner. Once this is done the menu will ask again if the operator would like to "add", "alter", or "continue". This menu will always reappear until “continue” is selected. Once "continue" is selected, and after all additional items are scanned, the machine will shake gently and SCP-5217-1 through -3 will be dispensed. However, SCP-5217-1 will now contain a genetically stable blend of all scanned items. SCP-5217-2 and -3's embryos will follow a similar form of splicing, but with each of the scanned organism's food sources and predators/ competitors respectively.

If “alter” is selected at any time, the touchscreen will display a map of the scanned organisms' genetic code and will allow an operator to alter the scanned organism(s) genes in whatever way they see fit. However, changes to the code that might cause the immediate death of the organism upon birth are locked.

SCP-5217-1 through -3 is the aforementioned sacks each containing embryos pertaining to the item scanned, with a perfect one to one ratio of males to females (when applicable) and symbols resembling that of the stylized M found on the machine etched into their internal structures1, but with the following differences:

  • 5217-1 contains the embryos of the average number of offspring said scanned organism would produce.
  • 5217-2 contains the embryos of species of plants, animals, or materials the scanned organism would subsist upon, as well as their respective food sources.
  • 5217-3 contains the species that would prey upon or otherwise compete with SCP-5217-1.

It should be noted that if any instance of SCP-5217-1 through -3 be broken, the embryos inside will rapidly mature until they reach adulthood. All site personnel are thus encouraged to exercise caution while handling 5217-1 through -3 instances.


Discovery:


SCP-5217 was discovered at the University of Tasmania, on April 6th, 2019, when numerous reports of sightings of the long-extinct Thylacinus cynocephalus (Tasmanian Tiger), began to circulate. An investigation was launched and it was discovered that Dr. Hugh Sanderson, head paleontologist at the university, was behind the Thylacinid's reappearance via the use of SCP-5217. Upon the capture and subsequent interrogation of Dr. Sanderson, it was revealed that the doctor had acquired the item while shopping for a replacement copying machine online from an anonymous seller on Craigslist and discovered the machine's anomalous prosperities when he tried to copy an image of a Labrador Retriever puppy for his office. Dr. Sanderson was later administered Class-A amnestics and released back into the general populace, while an investigation into the identity of the seller was launched (see Addendum-2).


Addendum-1:


Test logs:

Test 1
Input A live rat (Rattus norvegicus domestica) strapped down to the scanning tray.
5217-1 Sixteen rat embryos.
5217-2 Sixty-four seeds of twenty-five varying species of nut and fruit-bearing plants.
5217-3 Forty-six embryos from various species of predatory birds, mammals, and reptiles; several of which having been categorized as extinct since the 18th century.
Test 2
Input A recently euthanized rat, with scanned genes altered to increase the size to two meters tall.
5217-1 Four abnormally large rat embryos, roughly 2m in height and 850kg when fully grown, with notably reduced incisors and an increased number of molars typically found in grazing species.
5217-2 Thirty-four seeds of fifteen various species of nut and fruit-bearing plants, as well as fifty-five seeds of nine different grass species.
5217-3 Thirty embryos of ten distinct predatory species such as wolves (Canis lupis), lions (Panthera leo), and several unknown species of large birds and reptiles.
Test 3
Input A fur sample taken from the previously used rat, a photograph of a golden retriever (Canis familiaris), and a branch of a common alder birch tree (Alnus glutinosa) found outside Site-57.
5217-1 Six embryos of an organism with the tail, torso, and fur patterns resembling that of a rat, with numerous plant-like growths along the organism's back and the limbs and head of a golden retriever.
5217-2 one-hundred and thirty-eight embryos of seventy-five different hybridized combinations of bird, rodent, deer, and plant life.
5217-3 Fifty-five embryos of ten different hybridized combinations of coyote (Canis latrans), wolf, red-tailed hawk (Buteo jamaicensis), raccoon (Procyon lotor), and human.
Test 4
Input A feather of a Hyacinth macaw (Anodorhynchus hyacinthinus).
5217-1 Two Hyacinth macaw embryos.
5217-2 Thirty-two seeds from twelve nut and fruit-bearing trees mostly native to South America.
5217-3 Two toco toucan (Ramphastos toco) embryos.
Test 5
Input A blurry photograph of a snow leopard (Panthera uncia).
5217-1 Four snow leopard embryos.
5217-2 Ninety-two embryos from seven different species of Himalayan goat and sheep. As well as one hundred and twenty seeds from thirty Himalayan grass and shrub species.
5217-3 Two Himalayan SCP-1000 embryos.
Test 6
Input A rib bone of the extinct Steller's sea cow (Hydrodamalis gigas).
5217-1 Two Steller's sea cow embryos.
5217-2 Eighty-five spores from five different kelp species and three hundred spores from ten brown algae species.
5217-3 Two killer whale (Orcinus orca) embryos, and two tiger shark (Galeocerdo cuvier) embryos.
Test 7
Input A fossilized footprint of a Tyrannosaurus rex.
5217-1 Four Tyrannosaurus rex embryos.
5217-2 Twelve Edmontosaurus embryos, sixteen Triceratop embryos, and fifty-five embryos from eighteen unidentified therapod, mammal, and reptile species. As well as sixty-five seeds from nineteen different, unidentified, pre-historic plant species.
5217-3 Two carcharodontosaur (Siats meekerorum) embryos.
Test 8
Input A degraded bone shard from SCP-2256 (Cryptomorpha gigantes).
5217-1 Two SCP-2256 embryos
5217-2 Fifty fish embryos from thirteen different species, twenty-two bird embryos from five different species, and thirty-five spores from ten different species of kelp.
5217-3 Two embryos resembling SCP-11282.
Test 9
Input A scientifically inaccurate portrait of an artist's rendition of a pterosaur.
5217-1 Six embryos resembling said pterosaur.
5217-2 Twenty-four embryos that appear similar to multiple historically false depictions of pre-historic species; including stegosaurus, ankylosaurus, and the wooly mammoth (Mammuthus primigenius). As well as forty-eight seeds belonging to twenty-nine unknown plant species.
5217-3 Twelve embryos that match incorrect depictions of Tyrannosaurus rex, saber tooth tiger (Smilodon populator), and a predatory Therizinosaurus (Therizinosaurus cheloniformis)
Test 10
Input An Twelfth Century woodcarving of a Griffon from Wales.
5217-1 Six embryos resembling the griffon depicted in the carving.
5217-2 Twenty-two embryos belonging to four species of sheep and cattle typically bred on the British Isles, Fifty-eight seeds belonging to thirteen species of plants native to England, and thirty-six embryos matching the 12th-century descriptions of nineteen different mythological creatures present in English folklore. These creatures include Unicorns, Boggarts, Brownies, Morgens3 and various other fey.
5217-3 Four embryos which appear similar to early depictions of dragons found in England.4
Test 11
Input Cover art from the novel "Princess of Mars" by Edgar Rice Burroughs.
5217-1 Four embryos of a red skinned humanoid species matching that of "Red Martians" from the novel.
5217-2 Ninety-four embryos of twenty-two species of flora and fauna native to Mars and its moons, as well as sixteen nonexistent species of Martian life that appear similar to those described within Burroughs's "John Carter of Mars" series.
5217-3 Sixty-eight embryos of ten predatory species of life native to mars and sixteen predatory species that appear in the novels. In addition to this, three species of sapient organisms native to mars and twelve species of sapient organisms described in Burroughs's works also appear5.
Test 12
Input A crayon drawing of Dr. Ferguson's family holding hands on a hill by the doctor's youngest daughter.
5217-1 Two embryos of a multicolored, segmented organism with eight pairs of legs, four bulbous sacks with eyes along its dorsal ridge, and no identifiable head.
5217-2 Fifty seeds of fifteen different species of grass, trees, and shrubbery that resemble the flora present in the drawing, as well as six worm-like embryos, capable of flight6.
5217-3 A single embryo of a large, flaming, spherical organism, identifiable as the "sun" in the image.
Test 13
Input A copy of the abstract painting "No.5, 1948" by Jackson Pollock.
5217-1 UNKNOWN
5217-2 UNKNOWN
5217-3 UNKNOWN7

Addendum-2:


On July 12th, 2022, agents investigating Dr. Sanderson's personal computer reported having found no evidence of the doctor's claims of being sold SCP-5217 over Craigslist. Furthermore, it was discovered that the doctor had not even used the website for over five years. A local MTF was dispatched to apprehend the doctor but upon the team's arrival at his home in Tasmania, Australia, the doctor was found to have died via cardiac arrest. Dr. Sanderson's corpse was recovered from his living room surrounded by tools and printer parts. A note was also discovered, inscribed with several lethal cognitohazards, which was clutched within the doctor's hand, the contents of which are transcribed below:

Most valued Production Unit H-SAN-43,

We here at the community would like to thank you for your contribution to the production of Ecological-Printers. As you know, these machines have proven to be invaluable to furthering our cause and your dedication to their development has not gone unnoticed.

However, it has also come to our attention that you have recently come under the watch of another organization, one whose attention could prove detrimental to our efforts. Not only that, but we have also learned that one of your printers has since been confiscated by the said organization as well. This is unacceptable, we know you understand the dangers the printers posses when being handled without the proper materials more than twenty times. An organization with such little training in the use of these printers, like the one that captured you, could lead to any number of catastrophic ecological disasters the community simply cannot handle if we are to achieve our goal. It is with these incredible failures in mind that we, the community, have unfortunately decided to let you go9.

We once again thank you for your many years of service and pray that your transition is not a painful one.

-Maternity

An autopsy was later performed upon Dr. Sanderson's remains where it was discovered that multiple symbols were etched into the doctor's internal organs, all in the shape of a stylized M.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License