SCP-5016
rating: +28+x

ATTENTION: THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTS ARE CLASSIFIED LEVEL 5.


Consultation and modification of these documents is prohibited without specific level 5 accreditation for these documents. Said accreditations can only be delivered by the Administrator or O5-7.



Object #: SCP-5016

Threat level: White o

Class: Thaumiel

Special Containment Procedures: Under no circumstances should a staff member aware of the existence of SCP-5016 approach SCP-579, even after having been subjected to Lithopedion class amnesic. A "red" zone is to be defined around SCP-5016 and shall be constantly patrolled and monitored by both radar and thermal surveillance within a radius of 1 kilometer (km). Officially, the island hosting SCP-5016 contains a military base. Marine patrols must be conducted around the island at all times. Any attempt to trespass on the island must be punished by the capture and interrogation of undesirable individuals. Elimination possible after interrogation. Should they reach the red zone, any attempt to capture them must be abandoned in favor of the use of lethal force. Any unusual activity or discovery related to any of the following SCP must be reported immediately to the SCP-5016 Research Manager as well as to O5-7 and the Administrator:

Access to the anomaly information is restricted to members of the SCP-5016 research team and their supervisor (currently Dr Mústês), as well as the two Level 5 members in charge of the subject, namely O5-7 and the Administrator. Any accreditation other than those provided by the Administrator or O5-7, even at level 5, cannot be used to access this data.

Description: SCP-5016 is a tower buried underground, the actual proportions of which are still unknown. Tests conducted using powerful transmitters from inside the building have estimated the depth of the structure at more than 123 kilometers (km) deep, and at only about ten meters once the same tests were conducted from outside. It therefore seems that the interior of the tower is located in another spatial plane than ours after a certain depth.

The building is divided into floors, each of varying size. The widest floor has an estimated area of more than 113 square kilometers (km²), while the least spacious floor consists of a circular room with a radius of 13 meters (m). Each floor has two staircases: one leading to the upper floor and another leading to the lower floor. The latter do not have a predetermined position in the floor, which can be anywhere in it. While the staircase leading to the upper floor is always accessible, the staircase leading to the lower floor only appears once the floor puzzle has been completed. Once the puzzle has been solved, the staircase leading to the lower floor will remain permanently accessible. To date, 739 floors have been explored, each with settings from different places and eras.

It made no sense at all. If floor 1 was clearly identified as dating from the Ramesside period1. Floor 2 was dating from the Sumerian period, at least two thousand years earlier. And floor 3 was a typical Italian Renaissance ballroom. The temporal inconsistency between each of these rooms and their placement has, at this time, not yet found an explanation.

-Dr. Mústês

Each floor has a puzzle to solve, or test to pass, in order to reveal the staircase leading to the lower floor. These riddles are always presented by simplistic diagrams or inscriptions summarizing the content of the riddle and the actions to be taken to solve it. These indications are always inscribed on a stone somewhere on the floor. Each of the inscriptions are made below a symbol specific to each floor. The origin of the symbols used is currently unknown.

While it was initially theorized that these symbols were used to indicate the numbering of floors, it became clear afterwards that they represented the thematic concepts of the corresponding puzzle, when the symbol of floor 1 was discovered on the inscription summarizing the puzzle of floor 57. The complexity of the puzzles and tests therefore increases with the number of floors traversed.

What we had initially considered as a title for each of these tests, and then for a simple numbering whose principles were beyond our comprehension, were in fact nothing more than the elements of a language specific to the tower itself. While the first floors were relatively simple to solve, thanks to the stones which were quite clear in terms of symbols, the more we progressed, the more the tower introduced us to concepts that we had already confronted in order to make its enigmas even more difficult. The whole thing formed a full-scale course on increasingly complex concepts. If the test on floor 1 was childishly simple, i.e. pushing a specific block on a pressure slab to reveal the staircase leading to the next floor, it showed us the symbol used to define the concept of gravity in a deeper way on floor 57. It was as if the tower served both as a guide and as a teacher, leading us to the solutions without giving them to us. We are now on floor 739, and the stone only uses symbols that appeared from floor 500… which themselves were already using other stone symbols, etc. We are now facing a complex language that is totally beyond our comprehension.

- Dr. Mústês

Details of all floor descriptions have been transferred to the accompanying document 113-B for readability reasons.

Although the descent of a floor does not seem to have any effects other than those potentially related to the content of the puzzles and tests of each floor, any attempt to ascend seems to have negative impacts, depending on the depth and number of floors ascended. See Test Log 5016-01.

In order to overcome this anomaly, to avoid unnecessary casualties and to ensure the logistics of information, men and equipment, re-supply camps have been set up as detailed below:

  • From the 1st to the 200th floor, a camp every 100 floors
  • From the 201st to the 400th floor, a camp every 50 floors
  • From the 401st to the 600th floor, a camp every 10 floors
  • From the 601st to the 739th floor, a camp every floor

Addendum 5016-01: Origin of SCP-5016 discovery

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License