SCP-4924
rating: +56+x
Historic%20Picture

File photo of event 4924-1919.

Item #: SCP-4924

Object Class: Euclid

Special Containment Procedures: Due to the actions of unknown parties some time following the initial discovery of SCP-4924-A in 1924, containment largely consists of maintaining the walls constructed over the entrances to SCP-4924, and is to be presented as civil maintenance. Infrared surveillance cameras have been installed throughout the lengths of SCP-49241 in an effort to identify any and all breaches into surrounding plumbing, subway and sewer networks, and any other subterranean cavities, along with observing the activities of SCP-4924-A. Upon the discovery of an attempted breach, MTF Zeta-9 ("Mole Rats") will attempt to dig to the breach from the closest accessible location and seal it using a standard steel cap, concrete and silicone sealant. Should this prove impossible, a team will be required to enter SCP-4924 via the closest access point and seal the breach internally. In the event of a successful breach, the affected area is to be sealed in the same manner as attempted breaches.

Civilian complaints of the sounds of movement underground, hearing voices from locations close to SCP-4924 and witnesses of breaches are to be administered class-B amnestics, and any reports or articles on the subject are to be suppressed and discredited as per Cover-Story 1919-B (Faulty pipes). Disappearances due to breaches are to be attributed to transience, kidnapping or accidental death.

Human testing on samples collected from SCP-4924 have been discontinued by order of the Ethics Committee as of the 19/10/2018

Description: SCP-4924 is an extensive network of tunnels located beneath the surface of Boston’s North End district, believed to have been initially constructed by T█████ G█████ in the 18th century. The tunnels are composed largely of brick passages, though sections of sewer tunnels, cisterns, basements, disused subway tunnels and water pipes have been incorporated into SCP-4924 following the beginning of anomalous activity in the early 20th century. All known entrances to SCP-4924 have been sealed, many by unknown persons prior to the Foundation's acquisition of the tunnels. The entirety of SCP-4924's interior constantly secretes and absorbs molasses from its walls and ceiling in a fashion similar to respiration, with levels of molasses varying at any given time. At minimum there is 40cm of molasses covering the floor, though this has never exceeded a depth of 70cm reached depths of 1.5 metres. SCP-4924's primary anomalous property manifests in attempts to breach into other subterranean spaces, such as tunnels, pipes, sewers and basements. This is a slow process, where sections of the tunnels surface appear to soften and liquefy under the molasses coating, sloughing off in layers heading towards other subterranean structures until it is able to breach through to the other side, at which point the breached structure is converted to be part of SCP-4924 at a rate of 3cm2 per hour. It is estimated that 76% of SCP-4924's current area was assimilated in this fashion, with the remainder being the initial structure.

Extensive testing has shown that sealing a breached structure off from SCP-4924 will stop any anomalous phenomena occurring in the affected area, rendering it safe within a month. Similarly, any material recovered from within SCP-4924 and removed from the area does not exhibit any anomalous properties. This is with the exception of the anomalous molasses secreted by the walls of SCP-4924 and SCP-4924-A, which displays unusual life preserving qualities inside and outside of SCP-4924. Any time an animal organism is fully submerged within this molasses, alive, dead or injured, the specimen will remain alive, or re-animate and proceed to struggle within the molasses in attempts to escape. Regardless of time spent submerged subjects will not expire, nor will they cease attempts to exit the molasses. If allowed to remain within the molasses for a period of three weeks, the subject’s skin and flesh will fuse with any surface they rest upon, typically the floor or wall of the testing chamber or the interior of SCP-4924. At this stage, specimens secrete molasses from their orifices constantly, but will attempt to communicate should their mouths breach the surface of the molasses, and in most cases voice a desire to be terminated.

Due to a lack of available photographic references dating to the suspected origin of SCP-4924, there is only anecdotal evidence hinting at the identity of the bulk of SCP-4924-A's human remains. Some, such as Pasquale Iantosca and Maria Di Stasio, have been identified due to both individuals' young ages, whereas James McMullen was identified by the name tag on the remnants of clothing worn at the time of his death. The remaining human portions of SCP-4924-A have largely been identified. Notable individuals include Cprl. Edward ████████, a member of the initial containment team, along with Travis, Francis, Jackson, Brendan and Kyle Aspen, a family believed to have been killed following a breach into the sub-basement of their home in 1994. A complete list of persons incorporated into SCP-4924-A can be seen in document:4924-1919-V.

SCP-4924-A is believed to have formed at some point in the decade following Event-4924-1919, where a storage tank containing 8.7 million litres of molasses is believed to have burst, causing significant damage to surrounding buildings, sweeping vehicles, people and animals with it, resulting in 21 deaths. It appears as an organism composed mainly of dozens of desiccated human, equine, canine and feline remains, connected via grafting with visible unidentified organs running between some bodies via orifices and wounds. Despite the presence of these connecting tissues, even significant damage to the subject does not seem to hinder its movements or functioning in any way, nor does it show biological signs of life such as respiration, a pulse, feeding or defecation. SCP-4924-A is mobile, constantly roaming SCP-4924 in no discernible pattern, and will react to changes in SCP-4924, being particularly interested in breaches into other structures. Should a breach occur, SCP-4924-A will almost always attempt to exit SCP-4924 through said breach.

Due to its size, strength and apparent indifference to significant damage, SCP-4924-A has proven to be extremely dangerous when encountered. In all cases of animals or humans entering SCP-4924, SCP-4924-A has attempted to incapacitate them and in most cases incorporate them into its mass, typically by vocalising distress calls from the orifices of the bodies comprising its mass in order to lure the individual further inside SCP-4924. These vocalisations have been confirmed to belong to the people within it, and possess knowledge possessed by said individuals. Once an individual has been lured sufficiently deep into SCP-4924, SCP-4924-A will generally maneuver itself between the victim and their method of entry and attack. This behaviour is not limited to times when animal life enters SCP-4924, and there are multiple cases of SCP-4924-A calling into pipes, through sealed sections of SCP-4924 impersonating a trapped person or animal, or even using a breach to cause blockages or disturbances in subterranean infrastructure in an effort to capture those sent to investigate and repair the damages.

Research into learning just why SCP-4924-A seems to reject some captured victims rather than assimilate them into its mass is ongoing, but given its behaviour towards these individuals it is assumed to be motivated out of cruelty.

Addendum 4924-1:

Addendum 4924-2:

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License