SCP-4551
rating: +22+x
Item #: SCP-4551 l2.png Object Class: Safe
Level 2 Clearance Threat Level: Green

20190926_154116.jpg

Engraving of SCP-4551 from the 'Prayer of Roseafar'.


Special Containment Procedures: SCP-4451 is to be stored in an anechoic chamber1. A commercially produced bell muffler is to be placed into the interior of SCP-4551 when not in testing.

Containment Update: In order to control rust build-up, SCP-4551 is to be cleaned with a 20% electrolytic solution of white vinegar mixed with salt, once per day and re-cleaned after testing. This process is to be performed inside SCP-4551's anechoic chamber.

Furthermore, in order to prevent severe oxidation to occur on SCP-4551's surface, renaissance oil is to be doused daily. This oil is to be blessed by a member or decendent of Roseafar.

Description: SCP-4551 is an ornate iron funeral bell, constructed during the late 1300s in Roseafar, Scotland. When SCP-4551 is rung, it produces a clear note in E♭3, which causes an illusion (SCP-4551-1) to appear to the ringer for a period of up to ten minutes.2

SCP-4551-1 illusions appear to be incorporeal, partially-translucent figures with a physical appearance identical to a deceased individual whom the ringer had an interpersonal relationship with.

The following has been observed during interactions between a ringer and an SCP-4551-1 illusion:

  • The ringer maintains that the SCP-4551-1 illusion is the 'soul' of a deceased individual.
  • Ringers report that the SCP-4551-1 illusions converse about past memories shared between the ringer and SCP-4551-1.
  • SCP-4551-1 illusions engage in endearing behavior such as giving compliments and easung doubts when emotionally 'close' to the ringer, and engage in negative3 behavior when 'distant' to the ringer.
1151px-Hammersmith_Ghost.png

An engraving of an SCP-4551-1 illusion, also from Prayer of Roseafar.

It has been observed that the time frame in which an SCP-4551-1 illusion persists for, is based upon the decibel rating that was produced. For more information, please see the table below.

Update: Rust has been documented occurring on SCP-4551, with about 3 mm2 of rust occuring daily, generally forming around the base of the bell. As of █/██/████, it has been discovered that when a human subject rings SCP-4551 while the object is rusted4, a cognitohazard occurs in which the memory of a deceased individual is completely forgotten by the ringer. For more information, please see addendum no. 3. It is currently unknown what will occur if SCP-4551 is rung while fully rusted.

The Prayer of Rosefar, a holy book from the region, describes SCP-4551's rust effect in the following manner:

Addendum No. 1: History and Recovery Information:

SCP-4551 was originally discovered in Roseafar7, Scotland, a secluded and autonomous village located near the Scottish capital of Edinburgh.

20190421_011057.jpg

Roseafar, Scotland.

Originally a dead bell8, SCP-4551 was used by citizens in the village, for religious ceremonies and festivals.

According to a senior member of Roseafar, Fr. George Albert, SCP-4551 was considered to be a holy item, and was used to wish for harvests and to celebrate and revere dead members of the community. A special ceremony known as the 'Gost of God' was conducted to remove rust from SCP-4551, and to prevent deceased members from being forgotten by the population of the village. This ceremony required a dying member of the community to baptize the bell. A special song was sung during the ceremony, viewable as a transcript below.

Ghost' sightings and reports of paranormal activity were frequent in the area surrounding Roseafar, with the local area using the sightings as a method to attract tourism to the region. These sightings had not been taken seriously until April 9th, 2005, when, during a mass offered in Edinburgh for the recently deceased Catholic Pope John Paul II, SCP-4551 was rung, triggering the appearance of 23 instances of SCP-4551-1. The presiding priest, Roseafar native Fr. George Albert, confessed to removing SCP-4551 and moving it to Edinburgh for this mass.

Foundation agent Lilly Amarte confiscated SCP-4551 at the ceremony, and George Albert and the congregation were detained, and given class-A amnestics.

Addendum No. 2: SCP-4551 Testing Log

Five tests were conducted with SCP-4511, viewable below.

Currently, SCP-4551 summons SCP-4551-1 instances regardless of the ringer's place of birth.

Addendum No. 3: Rust Test

As SCP-4551 produces a cognitohazardous effect when rung, testing has been been put forth to judge if SCP-4451 when rusted can act as a rudimentary amnestic. The following tests had been conducted by Dr. Amie Amarte and Dr. Lucy Daniels, tested on D-4515.

UPDATE: SCP-4551 behaves as a rudimentary amnestic, able to produce an effect in which the ringer will completely forget the memory of the individual summoned during a rusted ringing of SCP-4551. Family members and those related are not affected. Currently, the only long term side effect is clinical depression, and periods of muteness.

Addendum No. 4: Aftermath and Funeral

Note: The following information and messages where written two years after the intital SCP-4551 interview and tests.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License