SCP-4307

rating: +29+x

Item #: SCP-4307

Threat Level: Yellow

Object Class: Euclid

Special Containment Procedures:
SCP-4307 instances are kept in a reinforced aquatic containment chamber filled with water treated to replicate the Barents Sea. One side of each chamber wall is to be coated with a lead plating, and X-ray emitters are to be installed in 2 corners of the chamber with the purpose of being activated once a week to feed the SCP-4307 colony. Vegetation inside the chamber is to be maintained once every three weeks by Class-D personnel equipped with reinforced diving suits.

Description:
SCP-4307 is the designation for a group of 27 entities belonging to the extinct Nothosaurus genus1. The organisms are 4m long on average, although some specimens have been recorded reaching 5m to 7m in length. SCP-4307 specimens feed off of common sea life, primarily consuming fish. However, specimens have been observed hunting larger prey, including animals larger than themselves.

SCP-4307 specimens are capable of emitting electromagnetic pulses through an organ located near the brain. Composition of this organ includes a high concentration of electrocytes. The pulses are primarily used to incapacitate possible predators but are additionally capable of temporarily deactivating electrical devices. SCP-4307 instances were observed 'feeding' on radiation from the sunken K-278 Komsomolets during the initial recovery of SCP-4307. Testing indicated that depending on the type and amount of radiation absorbed, the intensity and type of electromagnetic pulses changes (See SCP-4307 Radiation testing). How SCP-4307 is able to survive these pulses and close proximity to radiation without any repercussions is unknown. SCP-4307's Triassic ancestors seemingly developed this organ to counter the sudden appearance of sharks, the electrical discharges being weak enough to disrupt a shark's senses, stunning it.

SCP-4307 instances do not perceive humans as a source of food and will generally ignore them, although several cases of playful interactions have been noted. However, SCP-4307 instances have been known to lash out using their jaws if feeling threatened.

It is unknown how SCP-4307 managed to survive to our time period as no further fossils of nothosauridaes were found following the Triassic period. Foundation palaeozoologists suggest the possibility of the SCP-4307 colony becoming frozen in a secluded ice cave near the end of the Triassic period, somehow managing to survive through multiple extinction events.

Addendum 4307.1:
SCP-4307 was discovered in May of 1989 following reports from the Foundation's Russian-branch signaling the sudden disappearance of the K-278 Komsomolets2 in the Barents Sea. Two other submarines are believed to have been sunk by SCP-4307 instances, K-129 Minerve and the USS Scorpion both during the 1960s. It is currently theorized that the SCP-4307 instances were attempting to feed on radiation from their nuclear reactors. Foundation personnel theorize that the sudden flaring of high energy radiation caused by nuclear bomb tests in 1945 awoke a colony of SCP-4307 that had been dormant for centuries. The colony then made its way to the Barents Sea where it was subsequently discovered.

Addendum Journal 4307:
Evgeny Vanin, commanding officer of the K-278 Komsomolets at the time, held a logbook during the lifetime of the submarine. A few entries preceding the sinking of the K-278 Komsomolets were written. Relevant and/or noteworthy excerpts have been translated from Russian and transcribed for analysis:

Page 350

30/03/1989
As per orders of the Motherland, we went to patrol around Norway on a lookout for any American submarines. We arrived in the Norwegian Sea at around 0200 and have been patrolling since.

Page 353

02/04/1989
We've been roaming the Norwegian Sea and it's surrounding areas for 3 days now. Radar operator caught a large signal encircling the submarine at around 2200. I dismissed it as predatorial sea life mistaking us for a dead whale.

Page 356

05/04/1989
Something's attacked us. All electronics are out and we cannot reach the Motherland through our radios. The motors also refuse to start back up. How those damn things destroyed our equipment without direct contact is unbeknown to me. The crew is panicking but I don't blame them, they are young, they are afraid of death. If the mechanics somehow manage to restore our communications I'll send an SOS to our leaders requesting immediate help.

Page 358, Final entry

07/04/1989
At around 1500, communications were restored after 2 days of darkness and living on rations. The commander managed to send an SOS before what appeared to be an electric shock fried our electronics yet again. At 2000, strange sounds were heard from the outside, ramming into the ship. A fire broke out in the ensuing panic and the commander was wounded. After recovering the logbook I and several other crewmen went for the single lifepod. It was utter chaos, men were fighting each other to obtain a spot. I managed to slip by the crowd and reach the lifepod, and we departed shortly after due to the fire spreading rapidly. When we ejected, I saw a glimpse of those…creatures. They looked like reptiles but something about them was off, something that I can't explain. Two hours after we reached the surface, a Russian boat that heard our SOS arrived and took us aboard. End of Log

Abbendum 4307.2:

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License