SCP-3864
rating: +195+x

Item #: SCP-3864

Object Class: Safe

Special Containment Procedures: SCP-3864 is to be hung on a wall in a standard containment chamber. Outside of scheduled tests, SCP-3864 is to be covered with a thick black cloth at all times. Should SCP-3864 grow too large to be completely covered by this cloth, D-Class personnel are to be dispatched immediately with an appropriately sized replacement.

SCP-3864's containment chamber is to be kept well-lit and monitored via an infrared camera to ensure that it remains completely covered at all times. A decibel meter is to be placed no less than 15 cm from SCP-3864’s surface. Any changes should be reported to the researcher in charge, which is currently Dr. Taylor Itkin at the time of this writing.

Entry into SCP-3864's containment chamber requires Level-3 clearance. All personnel are required to wear infrared goggles while in SCP-3864’s containment chamber.

Description: SCP-3864 is an oil painting of an individual. The subject, coloration, and size are all subject to change. The only constants in the appearance of SCP-3864 are that the individual in the portrait is always a human, and testing shows the paint to always be oil based. At no point has more than one subject been witnessed inside of SCP-3864.

SCP-3864 gives off a heat signature of 37° Celsius, similar to that of the average human body temperature. This heat signature is not centered on a certain portion of the painting (such as the individual inside), but rather is given off by the painting in its entirety. SCP-3864 is safe to view through infrared goggles or filters.

When a subject (henceforth referred to as SCP-3864-1) views SCP-3864 directly, within 15 minutes SCP-3864-1 will begin to gradually lose all pigmentation and most body heat. At this time, the likeness of SCP-3864-1 will begin to appear in SCP-3864. SCP-3864-1 will not be bothered by these processes. Within 30 minutes, SCP-3864-1 will become completely void of all pigmentation and have an average body temperature of 10° Celsius, as well as SCP-3864 showing a full likeness of SCP-3864-1. SCP-3864-1 will then die of severe dehydration and hypothermia. There is no recorded method of halting or slowing these processes.

Although the body of SCP-3864-1 will become inanimate and resemble a corpse, the consciousness of SCP-3864-1 is thought to be transferred into SCP-3864. This is evidenced by the likeness of SCP-3864-1 inside of SCP-3864 to be able to change poses and “move” – though no record shows the likeness of SCP-3864-1 to be moving while being observed – in ways that sometimes appear to be attempts at communication or escape from SCP-3864.

Likenesses of SCP-3864-1 inside of SCP-3864 also appear to be capable of verbal communication. It is unclear whether this is SCP-3864-1 communicating or simply an imitation by SCP-3864.
Attempts at communication are currently underway.

Addendum: SCP-3864 was recovered on 5/18 by MTF Eta-10 from [REDACTED], Virginia. The Foundation became aware of SCP-3864’s existence when Foundation staff planted in local police units were notified of multiple missing persons reports supposedly linked to viewing a painting. Upon securing SCP-3864, members of MTF Eta-10 were able to confirm with neighboring residents that SCP-3864-1 was in fact the man who owned the house SCP-3864 was recovered from. All those who confirmed this later appeared in SCP-3864, having viewed it directly. A Class-C amnestic was administered to all neighboring residents to cover the disappearances.




Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License