SCP-3708

rating: +94+x
Item#: 3708
Level1
Containment Class:
safe
Secondary Class:
none
Disruption Class:
dark
Risk Class:
notice


rooster-colorized-final.png

SCP-3708.

Special Containment Procedures: SCP-3708 is kept inside a standard low-concern enclosure at Site-73 and may be accessed by Level-2 personnel for testing.

Description: SCP-3708 is a 5 kilogram, 21 centimeter tall stone statue of a rooster.

At precisely 6:30 (local time) every morning, SCP-3708 will animate and emit a crowing sound in the 75-80 decibel range. It will then appear to scan the nearby area by craning its neck while seemingly becoming increasingly distressed; during this period of animation, it will emit several low vocalizations before becoming inanimate again at 6:31.

SCP-3708 produces a mild euphoric response in individuals that physically contact it; affected subjects report feelings of warmth and comfort.

SCP-3708 was recovered from the residence of the recently deceased Reinier Costede, an 83-year-old farmer, in Gilman, Wisconsin. Following the witnessing of SCP-3708's anomalous properties by Costede's relatives, field agents responded to reports of a "living chicken statue" circulating in the small village. Costede's residence was searched, and SCP-3708 was recovered without incident.



Addendum 3708.1: Recovered Document

Upon the recovery of SCP-3708, a small note was found taped to the side of its body.

Pa,

I'm going to be gone for a while.
Maybe I won't return.
I know you don't get many visitors out here…

I found you something to keep you company, though!
A little reminder of me, I guess. His name's Benny.
Take good care of him, OK?


Marguerit.





Addendum 3708.2: Recovered Document

In addition to SCP-3708, a journal was found in Costede's residence; irrelevant content has been excluded.

October 23rd, 2016

Marguerit left in the afternoon, and gave me this little sculpture. It reminds me of a rooster I used to have as a child. I've put him on top of my nightstand for now.


October 24th, 2016

Today I woke up to the sound of a rooster calling, but I haven't had any on this farm in over 60 years now. For a second, I'd thought it was Marguerit calling me down. Must've been little Benny trying to keep me company. It's better than waking up alone.


October 25th, 2016

I woke up a little earlier today, and while doing my morning routine I heard Benny crowing again. I went over to where I had placed him, and by God, he was moving! I reached my hand out to touch him and he rubbed up against it. Then, he went back to normal… I don't know if I'm getting enough sleep.


October 26th, 2016

I thought it was the sleep, but it happened again today. This time, it looked like he was waiting for me. I pet him again and he soon went still. Reminded me of when Marguerit was just a baby… she'd always wake up crying in the middle of the night, and wouldn't quiet down until I went over to comfort her.


November 19th, 2016

Saying good-morning to Benny is part of my routine now. I think he's used to having me around, and so am I. She was right about me needing company. I only wish I could have him around more often than a minute each morning. Then again, it does make our time together more treasured. I didn't have Marguerit around for very long, either.


December 21st, 2016

Benny seemed more active than usual today. He was practically flailing about, crowing his head off about God-knows-what. Normally I'd be annoyed, but… with him, it's hard to. I was half-hoping that Marguerit had returned and he was crowing at that, but that wasn't the case. I just wish someone would come.


December 22nd, 2016

He kept it up today, which was no surprise. I just comforted him until he calmed down. Then, back to stone. God, why does he have to turn back to stone?

[…]

I came down with something, by the looks of it. I've been with a nasty cough for the better half of this afternoon. It's bearable, though. At least I have something to look forward to in the morning.


December 23rd, 2016 (final entry)

It looks like the flu. I think Benny knows, too. He seemed worried when I went to say good-morning today. But I'll be okay, for him. For Marguerit.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License