SCP-3643
rating: +59+x

Item #: SCP-3643

Object Class: Keter

Special Containment Procedures: SCP-3643 is currently uncontained. All personnel assigned to Euclid class objects are to remain on high alert for an advance warning from Site-81 of an incoming containment breach of their object(s). If the object(s) breach containment, these personnel are to follow requirements for recontaining their objects. If an "all-clear" arrives from Site-81, then the object(s) are to be taken off high alert.

All personnel stationed at Site-81 are to keep watch for an entity matching the description of SCP-3643-1. If one appears, its possessions are to be confiscated and analyzed, and it is to be contained in a standard Safe object containment chamber until it expires. All mentioned personnel at Site-81 are to perform the actions stated in their letters. Foundation-operated web analysis bot Epsilon-09 ("GRAYSMITH") is to be kept in constant operation and checked for defects twice a week by a Level-2 staff member familiar with its operation. When functional, the bot will search for mentions of the following keywords across the web: "Kephart Corporation", "David Fincher", "zodiac", "courier", "SCP Foundation". The webpage is to be blocked, archived, and then forwarded to the SCP-3643 containment team.

Description: SCP-3643 is an unknown sapient construct or entity who is believed to either be, or more likely masquerading as, the uncaptured serial killer known as The Zodiac Killer. According to documents sent by SCP-3643, it is in the employ of an organization known as Kephart Corporation. There is no record of a corporate entity with this name anywhere, with one exception: The official members list of American Anomalous Companies Association, an organization to which many of the capitalistic anomalies the Foundation observes belong. However, other companies on the list with which the Foundation has had interactions (TotleighSoft, GRENadINES, and others) claim to have never heard of Kephart Corporation.

Since July 4, 2019, exactly fifty years since the second Zodiac killing, Foundation entities such as the Overseer Council, RAISA, the Ethics Committee, and leadership of Site-19 have received letters consistent with those sent by the Zodiac Killer to the Vallejo Times-Herald, the San Francisco Chronicle, and The San Francisco Examiner fifty years earlier. In these letters, SCP-3643 claims responsibility for the civilian attacks and states that it is being paid by Kephart Corporation to blackmail the Foundation. It states it will accomplish this by causing containment breaches of Euclid Class entities unless the Foundation sends "campaine funds" (sic) of upwards of 10,000 USD to Kephart Corporation once a week. A cryptogram included with the letters, when deciphered, lists a number of entities currently under threat as well as a P.O. Box address in St. George, Maine where the money should be sent. While this particular P.O. Box is nonanomalous, any mail sent there by the Foundation vanishes before delivery.

In addition to the letters mentioned above, a non-sentient entity resembling American actor Mark Ruffalo has arrived at the front gates of Site-81 bearing the same letters delivered via mail to the rest of the Foundation. Biopsy of this entity, referred to as "the courier" in the letters and hereafter designated SCP-3643-1, reveals that it is composed of DNA with a 99.8% match to Zodiac suspect Arthur Leigh Allen, but has nonhuman biology; imaging of the interior of SCP-3643-1 reveals a humanoid skeleton surrounded by a vacuole-like structure filled with blood. SCP-3643-1, in its time in containment, has shown no biological needs and displayed no desire to eat, drink, sleep, or relieve itself of waste. Exactly 48 hours after it delivers a letter to Site-81, it will explode violently. At the time a new letter arrives, it will reappear at the gates of Site-81, unharmed.

Initially, it was decided by Overwatch that the Foundation would not follow the instructions listed in the letter and would disregard any threats made by the entity. The next day SCP-1972-B breached containment, resulting in three deaths, and SCP-105 was found unconscious in her chamber clutching SCP-105-B. Shallow, minor knife wounds were found across SCP-105's body and it could not be determined how SCP-105-B ended up outside its locked safe-deposit box. It was therefore decided by the Ethics Committee, who initially voted to mail the money against the decision of the O5 Council, that all instructions in the letters would be followed. However, once the requisite sum was mailed three times to the St. George P.O. Box with no subsequent containment breaches, the letters started only being delivered to Site-81 by SCP-3643-1. Since then, all letters have specifically requested actions to be performed by staff stationed there. These letters display an unusual knowledge of personnel at Site-81. This is the current status of SCP-3643 as of March 25th, 2020.

Addendum-2: This is the letter received by Site-81 on July 18th 2019. It is consistent with both the letters sent fifty years earlier and with the other letters received by the Foundation and was encoded in the Zodiac cryptogram.

Dear Editors

This is the Zodiac speaking.

I am very happy with the money you have sent to Kephart Corporation but I agree that you are being tricksy with your payement and I want something a little more entertaineng. Are you haveing a good time with this? You might even contain me if you get it right and then I won't murder any one anymore

Tomorrow the 19th of July:

I want you to order Dr. Manfred to buy a nice car with his own money and drive into the middle of woods with Dr. Reynolds. Then he should blow his legs out with a shotgunn which would be very funney indeed. I want Dr. Manfred to perform secxual vioelence for Kephart because it feeds the bottom line. Then the people bake at the cite need to contain a blackbear from the woods so that the woods start to enter the cite. If you do not do this I will shoot your scips like I shot those people and i want to have a letter sent to 3 School Street, P.O. Box 131, Tenants Harbor, ME about how much the bear was thasing about and how angrey it was plese tell me the whole cene because its worth a lot of cash money that makes the wallets happy. I want to know the blackbear suffered. Make sure that the vioelence stops the moment the blackbear is contained and then you can let the blackbear out again. The man who sold the sight pineapple in a can the last week should be on the radio with Dr. Manfred. I know it's easier to give money but this is not profitable and you want to avoid a good old fashioned murder mystery like David Fincher did.

To prove it's me.

In that epasode that David Fincher dicrected in 2007 the cop was the Hulk and the Hulk is the one who delivered you this letter. Also I entered the cite 17 through the guards entrance. There wer 13 Guards. the ethic commite were wondering as to how I could unlock + release my victoms in the cite. If you bite off the lock with your sharp sharp little teeth it just snaps in two and falls to the ground. I first let the sphere fly around to find the moose whore, and then I went and I slapped around the girl who can move photos. None of your MTF police noticed me they were too busy playing cards while I thumped her on the head and dragged her around. The walls of the brekreoom were green and there were about 10 members of the taskforce and some doctors I didn't count them just sitting there in a little circle with their cards. I took the photo girl to her bedroom and I hit her until she passed out she was real pretty. I thought about shooting her with my gun but that would make too much noise so I just marked her up with my knife and then bit off the lock and gave her the camra as a christmass present.

Now you know that it is me.

zodiac.png

CHEERS

The operation involving the bear was performed and Dr. Manfred and Dr. Reynolds are both undergoing psychological counseling following the experience, despite testimony from both that the requested sexual violence was faked. Michael Van Doppelmeer, a food supplier under contract with Site-81 was amnesticised following the procedure. Directly after the operation occurred, another letter arrived from SCP-3643 threatening gun violence against retired Site Director Jean Karlyle Aktus and active Site Director Hollister Cox as well as the release from containment of SCP-173, SCP-3026, and SCP-1915 at their respective sites. The instructions in this letter were followed.

Addendum-2:

The following exchange was recorded between Researcher Sadie Louis and Researcher Davey Kurland on January 17th, 2020, as they were carrying out the requested "payment" in the latest letter (carry ten cheeseburgers down the most driven street in Bloomington, Indiana). Both Researchers were miked as per the letter.

<Begin Log>:

(The two researchers walk in silence for 12 minutes, interrupted by only heavy breathing and ambient traffic noise.)

Louis: (Quietly) Murder mystery.

(Researcher Louis mutters to herself for another two minutes. Researcher Kurland is silent.)

Louis: You know what doesn't make sense about this whole thing?

Kurland: What?

Louis: Okay, so I'm a huge Jake Gyllenhaal fan, right? So I've seen the Zodiac movie like ten times and I actually read all the books on the subject because it got me really interested and I was realizing. All these weeks, we've been playing around with someone who doesn't even act like the real Zodiac Killer.

Kurland: That's actually a fair point. Come to think of it, has this guy killed anyone?

Louis: No! I mean yes, if you count the people the cop-bot zapped, but not directly. He just roughed up Iris a bit. That stuff in the letter about knocking her out and beating her up makes no sense. Apparently she was just in her room and she passed out. No damage that was apparent. And on another note, this doesn't line up with anything we know about the 'real' killer! First off, why would the Zodiac be working for a corporation? Why are these tasks so bizarre?

Kurland: Hmm. He hasn't really wanted like a classically violent act since the first time.

Louis: Yeah! Even then it was half-bizarre. And then second off, why are we falling for this? We are we being so cautious and stupid! Why are we doing what this fucker wants? Taking in his little Ruffalo clone and figuring out his cryptograms and sending out messages. Why even do this?

Kurland: What I can't figure out are these constant references to David Fincher and to "murder mysteries." Fincher has no relation to these requests outside his movie, and the only murders were fifty years ago! I guess there's a mystery but it's ultimately an undramatic one.

Command: Wait, stop you two. There's something unusual with your conversation detected in our Memetic Hazard Monitoring Software, we need to check that out. Hang on just a minute. The damn thing just spiked and started beeping like crazy.

Kurland: Wait, what?

Louis: Command, I was under the impression that the microphones were simply a concession to the demands. I wasn't aware you were actually monitoring us.

Command: Yeah, it's standard. Contrary to what you've been discussing, the rest of the organization considers this highly dramatic to the point where some in the Memetics Department consider the whole thing a bit scary and notified us. We didn't notice before you set this thing off, which leads us to think we were infected too. We're not sure how you two broke through, but you seem to be the first people to have some disbelief about the whole thing. The rest is classified, but we haven't just been sitting here idly. There's a possibility this is not what it seems. Thanks to you two, it seems like we might have identified something.

Kurland: Well, you're welcome at any rate.

Louis: Do we still have to carry these stupid cheeseburgers?

Command: Afraid so, we can't take any chances.

Louis: So much for "we aren't infected by the meme" then, I guess.

Addendum-3: On March 25th 2020, the Memetic Department published a paper detailing a highly complex non-textual meme hidden within the letters and tied to the phrase "murder mystery," not itself a memetic trigger. This meme caused personnel to compulsively follow the demands within the letters despite their illogical nature, and quickly spread from person to person. Once a countermeme became widespread throughout the Foundation, the O5 Council voted to discontinue capitulation to the demands of SCP-3643 and Kephart Corporation, now designated GoI-4889. Following this, a cryptogram was delivered to Site-81 by SCP-3643-1. This is currently the last recorded message from SCP-3643. The current containment procedures will stay in place due to the currently uncontained nature of SCP-3643 and the fact it still possesses the capability to breach containment, notwithstanding the meme.

The decoded cipher reads:

ZODIAC SPEAKING I LIKE KILLING DAVID FINCHERS BECAUSE IT IS SO MUCH FUN IT IS MORE FUN THAN KILLING ESS SEE PEES IN THE FORREST BECAUSE ANOMALEE IS THE MOST DANGEROUS ANAMAL OF ALL TO GET MONEY SOMETHING GIVES ME THE MOST THRILLING EXPERIENCE IT IS EVEN BETTER THAN GETTING YOUR ROCKS OFF WITH A GUBERNATORIAL CAMPAIGN PLEASE DONATE TO THE KEPHART CORPORATION PLEASE GIVE US MONEY TO FINANCE OUR CAMPAIGN THANK YOU FOR PLAYING THE MURDER MYSTERY GAME WITH OUR ZODIAC EMPLOYEE CHECK US OUT ONLINE FOR UPDATES ON OUR NEW DAVID FINCHER DIRECTED FOUNDATION MURDER MYSTERY GAME

THANKS AND BUY OUR PRODUCTS AND DONATE TO US

zodiac.png

KEPHART CORPORATION


Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License